HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo - Just Telling It Like It Is

Old
10-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Meganuck*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
I'd also like to point out how Gaborik has more points than the Sedins combined....you know, just saying.
ZomG! Hez InJUreD

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Knucklez

Quote:
I'd also like to point out how Gaborik has more points than the Sedins combined....you know, just saying.
So does Willie Mitchell. Who cares? Keith Tkachuk has more points than Iginla and Lecavalier combined. We're 3 games into the season!

Knucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Cocomero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklez View Post
So does Willie Mitchell. Who cares? Keith Tkachuk has more points than Iginla and Lecavalier combined. We're 3 games into the season!
I care. Cause teh SedNOTS sux! PPG players? PFFFF, we need more flash and less consistency...

Cocomero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 02:35 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
I'd like to point out that in that one game in the playoffs last year, Shane O'Brien scored more goals than Gaborik. OoooOOOoooooh.

I like the idea of swapping Shirokov with Raymond. Shirokov and Wellwood seem like a decent pairing together. Both play a slower-paced, opportunistic, thinking game, while Kelser and Raymond both play a "I can skate really fast so I need to skate really fast AT ALL TIMES" game.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 02:48 PM
timorousme
luongod

We need a 2C and a 1D or this could be just another heartbreak year

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Crossbar Ping

Pretty embarrassing when your captain leaves the ice after the first period.

Thats why he shouldnt be a friggin CAPTAIN *face palm*

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Gallegher of all people knows that the best player on the PK is the Goaltender.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknrink View Post
That line should not have been out there forever though. I don't know why Vigneault kept them out for so long.
*facepalm*

Was he supposed to stop the game so his players could change?

Does he tell his players to change in the middle of the PP when they have possesion in the offensive zone?

It was a long shift. It happens. AV didn't "keep them out there for so long".

Slashy McSlewfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 03:12 PM
CrosbyCrosby*

Late to the party but I have to agree with Pauser on the Kesler-Burrows thing. If you reunite them, they become the checking line, not the second scoring line.

CrosbyCrosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 03:13 PM
timorousme
luongod

maybe we need a checking line right now

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 03:26 PM
hlrsr

Let's just start with the basics. Luongo needs to stop some pucks.

hlrsr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 03:33 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Why is everyone seemingly placing the blame of the failure of the 2nd line on Shirokov? Instead of the rookie with 3 games NHL experience, I think we need to focus more on Kesler, who is proving he doesn't have what it takes to be the anchor of a 2nd line. If it were me, I'd move Wellwood up to the 2nd line and place Kesler on the 3rd line. I don't know why so many seem so hesitant to try Wellwood in a top 6 role, but the fact of the matter is he has more offensive upside than Kesler and his creativity and vision in the attacking zone is far better than Kesler. Kesler is an alright option on the 2nd line if he doesn't have to be the anchor, but when he's the guy looked to to lead the line, I just don't think he can bring that.

If it were me next game I'd try:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Shirokov - Wellwood - Samuelsson
Raymond - Kesler - Bernier
Rypien - Johnson - Glass

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 03:35 PM
*Injektilo

Quote:
Here is how Luongo sees it:
"It's pretty tough when you get a backdoor tap-in when you're concentrating on the shot, and then on the next one I'm not concentrating fully on the shooter," said Luongo, who told it exactly as it was just as a captain should.
This bolded part of the quote is what really bugs me. In short, he's blaming his D for letting in softies. The fact is, he needs to concentrate fully on the shooter, lest he lets in the softies that he did. He needs to trust his D corps to do their defensive duties, even if they did fail him in the previous goal. If he can no longer trust his teammates, than he needs to say so to his team, the coach and the GM. Enough with this weasely BS.

That Gallagher actually supports this complete BS is, well, not that surprising, jackass that he is.

Quote:
This is not to blame the player. He hasn't figured out what's going on yet and indeed hasn't shown anything since the regular season started, but it makes you wonder why the trigger was pulled so quickly on Cody Hodgson or any number of other forwards in favour of Shirokov, who seemed to have the team made from the moment he tapped in two open-netters against a minor-league New York Islanders troupe in Terrace.
What has Hodgson done to prove that he is better than Shirokov at this point in time? Isn't that point made backwards?

*Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 03:39 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
I love how the media is turning on Shiro after 3 games. The guy needs to be given at least 15-20 games before you can pass any sort of judgment as to how it's going to go with him this year. Of course there's going to be a bit of a feeling out process the first few games.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Jack Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by medgett View Post
This is what I see as well. I would have Kesler on Demitra's wing to start when Demitra gets back.
The more I watch him play, the less I think Kesler's struggles have anything to do with where he's playing (wing or center). The bottom line is he lacks the premier vision to be a prime puck distributor. He needs someone on his line who can operate at his speed and hit him on the rush. His offensive strength comes from speed and north/south play with short shifty moves out maneouver flat-footed d-men.

It was clear that when Raymond moved onto his line last night he got significantly better. He was flying in the 3rd and nearly made the play of the game until Samuelsson got stoned by Mason on his in cold chance Kesler set up.

Now all that said, I don't think Raymond is even that great of a playmaker. It's just that he's decent and can operate in Kesler's speed range. Demitra can too (on the lower end) and is a superior playmaker. That's why I think he'll work great on Kesler's left side when healthy.

Jack Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanFan101 View Post
Robert Lang just signed for 1 mil in PHX. He would have been perfect for the second line C, big body with some skill. Pretty much Sundin lite.
Totally agree with this. He has a lot of skill actually, played well for the Habs a couple years ago. My perception is that he's injury prone though.

I suspect the reason MG didn't make any moves is because of the lack of cap space unless he really believed Canucks had all the tools? At this point, MG needs to put himself in a position where he can make some of these inexpensive moves at least.

Who is the GM for Phoenix now, Gary Bettman? If so, he's showing good acumen by picking up a guy like Lang for what is essentially a bag of pucks.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 03:53 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post
This bolded part of the quote is what really bugs me. In short, he's blaming his D for letting in softies. The fact is, he needs to concentrate fully on the shooter, lest he lets in the softies that he did. He needs to trust his D corps to do their defensive duties, even if they did fail him in the previous goal. If he can no longer trust his teammates, than he needs to say so to his team, the coach and the GM. Enough with this weasely BS.

That Gallagher actually supports this complete BS is, well, not that surprising, jackass that he is.

What has Hodgson done to prove that he is better than Shirokov at this point in time? Isn't that point made backwards?
Or perhaps if the defense were to intercept that pass, break it up, or even tie up that player who's right at the net accepting the back door pass, the problem would be solved?

10-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Iginloob

Doesn't look like Shirokov is ready for the big leaugues, i agree send him to the moose. If that happens who comes up? Where is all this depth i have been hearing about the last month or so.

Would they consider bringing up Hodson, or is his back still nagging him?
What is the time frame on Demitra's injury, is he even skating?..did he even play in the preseason?

Just wondering.

Iginloob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iginloob View Post

Would they consider bringing up Hodson, or is his back still nagging him?
What is the time frame on Demitra's injury, is he even skating?..did he even play in the preseason?
Hodgson can not be called up until his OHL season is finished.

Demitra is still at least 3 weeks away. He's not skating.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Who is the GM for Phoenix now, Gary Bettman?
Don Maloney. He's been their GM since 2007.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

If anything is wrong with Raymond's game, its his poor playmaking skills. A major reason why he gets so many shots on goal is because he doesn't pass the puck and he doesn't pass the puck because he doesn't see his teammates, it seems. Admittedly, he's often ahead of his teammates which makes it more difficult to see your linemates but still people should not expect playmaking out of him.

With a line of Raymond, Samuelsson and Kesler what you have is a very strong 3rd line and a decent 2nd (due to lack of overall talent). Even stronger I would argue than when Kesler and Burrows were on the same line because they never had a Samuelsson as a linemate (that guy is growing on me every game). They will be very difficult to play against, let alone score, and they will get the occasional tally. And they will certainly get a ton of shots on goal between Samuelsson and Raymond.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 04:03 PM
*Injektilo

Quote:
Or perhaps if the defense were to intercept that pass, break it up, or even tie up that player who's right at the net accepting the back door pass, the problem would be solved?
I'm not blaming him on the first goal. The other 3, on the other hand....

And honestly, is his confidence in his D so brittle that it crumbles to fine dust after ONE mistake??

Old
10-06-2009, 04:05 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post
I'm not blaming him on the first goal. The other 3, on the other hand....

And honestly, is his confidence in his D so brittle that it crumbles to fine dust after ONE mistake??
It's not like his D has given him reason to feel otherwise.

That second goal was iffy...it was a good goal, but one that someone like Luongo probably should save. Goals 3 and 4 were inexcusable IMO...he has to stop those.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 04:07 PM
*Injektilo

Quote:
It's not like his D has given him reason to feel otherwise.

That second goal was iffy...it was a good goal, but one that someone like Luongo probably should save. Goals 3 and 4 were inexcusable IMO...he has to stop those.
It doesn't matter. He has to concentrate on the shooter. The alternative doesn't seem to work out too well.

Old
10-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Payaso619*

Yeah, I figured we needed to add another 2nd line center, or top 6 forward. Our forward group has promise, but we can't rely on that if we want to be considered a contender. I'd like to think we can struck a deal, but I have no idea who we can acquire, without sacrificing many prospects.

Payaso619* is offline   Reply With Quote