HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LaFontaine's radical power-play idea

Old
10-06-2009, 07:47 PM
SML

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
first of all .. not cool with the "hits to the head" thing. Secondly purist would want the full 2 minute penalty. becasue that is how it was back in the day before montreal killed all the fun for everyone else.
The NHL has to stop making permanent solutions for temporary problems. So what if a team is dominant at one aspect of the game. Is it necessary to change the rules every season?

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 08:04 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I think that things are fine the way they are.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 08:50 PM
The Thomas J.*

I give Patty credit, he is just throwing somthing out there. I personally hate it. I would like to get rid of the shoot out & bring a 10 min OT.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
From Puck Daddy. http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,194300

"Maybe if there's five minutes to go in the third period, if there's a penalty taken, maybe there's an optional penalty shot?

"Here are your options: You either get one penalty shot or a two minute penalty where the player doesn't come out of the box. You have a chance to go for two goals instead of maybe one goal. But what if the penalty occurs with, say, 30 seconds left in the game? What it does is allow some excitement into the game. You need to put the breakaway back in the game."

I like part of this idea. Definitly a fan of serving the whole 2 minutes. Will create more scoring, and also more excitement if your team kills off the whole two minutes. Not sure about the penalty shot though, i think that actually decreases scoring. Instead of having a bunch of chances to score on the PP you get just One.

Let the battle of words begin!
Why not for overtime?

Instead of 5 minutes to go in the third lets make it that this goes for overtime instead.

Teams that know they have the advantage going into the shoot out, us for example with Lundqvist, will be less inclined to take a penalty with 15 seconds to go if there is pressure in our zone in order to get us to the shoot out.

Otherwise any bad called game, you might as just give the team 9 break aways one on one with the goaltender... oh wait you are.

In regulation, i think its horrible. Tweak it a minor bit and implement it in overtime and and I think it would be a great idea.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 11:49 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I give Patty credit, he is just throwing somthing out there. I personally hate it. I would like to get rid of the shoot out & bring a 10 min OT.
Pat is a typical forward... what would he suggest should he has been a defenseman?
I would go for 2 min penalty goal or not. However, I'd keep the penalty termination after goal scored when 5-on-3 is playing. In this case one penalty will end after the goal. the 5-on-4 should continue for the balance of 2 min time.
I'd keep the SO the way it is , but I want the point awarded to change. 3 points for regulation win, 0 for regulation loss. 1 point for SO loss 2 points for SO win. This way there are always 3 points to be had at any given game. No point inflation due to SO.

Last edited by 94now: 10-07-2009 at 11:54 AM.
94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 03:15 PM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
I'm not a big baseball guy. I think if the teams are tied after a full 9 innings they should have a home run derby and I'll watch some more games. See what long time base ball fans think of that.
It sure wouldn't make me watch any baseball. I wonder how many fans have started following hockey because of the shoot out? My theory is if you were a fan before the lockout you most like still are.

And if you weren't then you probably still don't watch hockey.

QUOTE=Gabborik;21466028]Why not for overtime?
Instead of 5 minutes to go in the third lets make it that this goes for overtime instead.
[/QUOTE]

Interesting idea. I actually think a penalty taken in OT should only be 1 minute.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 07:30 PM
nyrtrublue

I propose that if there is a penalty taken in the last two minutes they have to either split the time between two players or they have to play out the penalty even if the period expires bc I think the games should never end while the losing team has a man advantage

nyrtrublue is offline   Reply With Quote