HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bogosian wearing the A, would he be a better fit for us?

Old
10-06-2009, 03:05 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=677616

You'd be surprised. One fan said that "Kings fans have already realized the mistake they've made" taking Doughty over Bogosian... Though obviously there is bias flying all around, the debate is still very much up in the air.
Yeah, I am surprised. I like Bogosian and the toughness he brings along with the scoring but DD's going to go down as one of the best to play his position imo.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Who cares if Bogosian's got an "A" on his jersey? Bottom line is DD is a better player than Bogosian. I doubt many hockey fans would argue with that.
Many outside of LA would and more importantly, many scouts in the business have been arguing that since their draft year. Here's a hint, not all picked Doughty. In fact, it's pretty divided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
No. Doughty exudes confidence with the puck much like a player like Bourque or Leetch. Bogosian is very good in his own right, more along the lines of a Chelios or Blake, but defenseman who can carry an offense are so rare, and Doughty will be doing that.

Hopefully most fans are still rationale after that one horrid start on Saturday...
How much of Bogosian have you actually seen in relation to Doughty?

Doughty hasn't carried an offense as a pro yet and in juniors, Bogosian was his team's offense. He put up more points with less talent around him in the OHL than Doughty did their draft year.

As far as Leetch vs. Chelios, did you see either one? Leetch was questionable defensively the first half of his career to say the least, and Chelios was Chicago's offense when he was there. The first half of his career was all about offense and physicality with solid defensive play. Most people would take Chelios over Leetch as far as their careers go. Chelios could rush the puck when he was younger, don't let his latter days confuse you.

Blake is a better comparison for Jack Johnson, for his lack of defense. Bogosian is on another level than both Jack and Drew defensively. He controls his own zone already at a young age and leads by example, that's why he has an 'A' already. He's the closest thing out there to Scott Stevens version 2.0, he'll be captain material and devastating physically while being a catalyst offensively. Remember, that 19 points was in 47 games. Over the entire season he would've probably matched or bested Drew's 27 points.

I think that overall, probably too early in either one's career to make concrete long-term projections for points and whatnot, and Doughty will be fine, but some Kings fans need to come back to earth a little bit and watch a few more Thrashers games.

Konk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 03:25 PM
eleventy

Doughty has an LA Kings alarm clock.

eleventy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Zach Bogosian has been playing very well in Atlanta...He had 19 points last year and even a fight with Donald Brashear...now he has the "A" on his sweater and a goal in his first game...

With Hickey, Voinov, Martinez, Harrold and smaller guys more of a commodity on our D, would it have been better to take Bogosian over Doughty and drafted a forward or another D with the Calgary/Anaheim pick?
You Mr... has to much time.
As a Kings fan with a history like our one you should be happt and thankful to have a player like Doughty.
Even Crosby wears a C and Kopitar not.
Ovechkin wears one and Frolov not..
Malkin is a way better 2nd line center than Stoll.....

just wrong decissions from the Management not to go after these players....

Last edited by Kurrilino: 10-06-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Exaggerate much? How much hockey have you been watching? Chelios was Chicago's offense? Do explain what Jeremy Roenick, Steve Larmer, Michel Goulet and the rest were doing there. Standing by watching Chelios do all the work? Oh and I'm sure Kovalchuk, Little, White have no barring on the Thrashers' offense.

Doughty didn't have much help in Guelph either and was the team leading scorer in 06-07 and the team hurt offensively when Doughty missed games in 07-08. In their draft year, Doughty netted 2 more goals but had much less helpers, if you look at the talent around him you'd see why. Next time you question whether or not anyone has seen them play, maybe you should look into doing some research then get back to me. I know what Chelios was capable of in his younger days, hence the comparison to Bogosian?

As for Leetch, the winner of the Calder and Conn Smythe and two Norris Trophies being questionable defensively, that is a joke. His skating was so good that he would cover back and play defense. He did it all for the Rangers and was the backbone to their success.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 04:53 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I think you're over analyzing it.

Who cares if Bogosian's got an "A" on his jersey? Bottom line is DD is a better player than Bogosian. I doubt many hockey fans would argue with that.
Huh? What proof do you have that could lead you to such a definitive statement?

After watching both play, my guess is that Bogosian is the better player RIGHT NOW. When it's all said and done will he be the better player? I have no idea, and neither does anyone else.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 05:09 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Huh? What proof do you have that could lead you to such a definitive statement?

After watching both play, my guess is that Bogosian is the better player RIGHT NOW. When it's all said and done will he be the better player? I have no idea, and neither does anyone else.

in all honesty, i don't either assessment can be made now.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Johnny Utah

This what I was hoping for instead of one liners...real debate...

I am still torn really...I mean watching Doughty have a bad game and then watching Bogosian over the highlights on NHL network made me re-think it...I know its just one game....but which kid is going to have a bigger imapct on his team, the league and his country more long term...? I don't know.

Atlanta desperatley needed any type of defenseman...but at the time the Kings already had Hickey, Johnson, Martinez and were about to draft Voynov. Would drafting that Chelios type fit in better with the group we have now....Nicolas Deslaurier is also to similar to Doughty and Hickey. Teubert and Campbell are the lone smashers and neither are close to ready.

Last edited by Johnny Utah: 10-06-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 05:32 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
with water, your grass will be just as green... i swear.
He'll need some fertilizer too. No shortage of that around here though.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Dr. Naysay

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Naysay
They should have kept Cammalleri.

Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
Wrong thread.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Brodie562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
where the hell did that come from?? it's been a couple of years man let it go and im a Cammalleri nuthugger.

Brodie562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
It's strange. It seems as with every post you post that level rises significantly. We're going to need to organize a committee or order to investigate this phenomenon.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 06:26 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
ammonium nitrate?

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Homunculous

Unlike most here, I've actually seen each play about an equal amount of games (I live in Colorado, and work nights, I watch what hockey I can get live.) I'm not going to claim a lack of bias, but I'd take Doughty over Bogo any day of the week( except opening night ) We've been stockpiling character players for a while now, it's not a fault on Doughty he doesnt have an 'A' I consider it a testament to that fact that we dont need to give him it to let him know he is the leader of our D. Just as there is more than one type of great defenseman out there, there is also more than one reason people get letters on their jerseys.

Homunculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
ammonium nitrate?
K17 is a terrrrrrerist.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 06:47 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
This what I was hoping for instead of one liners...real debate...

I am still torn really...I mean watching Doughty have a bad game and then watching Bogosian over the highlights on NHL network made me re-think it...I know its just one game....but which kid is going to have a bigger imapct on his team, the league and his country more long term...? I don't know.

Atlanta desperatley needed any type of defenseman...but at the time the Kings already had Hickey, Johnson, Martinez and were about to draft Voynov. Would drafting that Chelios type fit in better with the group we have now....Nicolas Deslaurier is also to similar to Doughty and Hickey. Teubert and Campbell are the lone smashers and neither are close to ready.
you can't acknowledge that you know it was only one game and then say "but". THERE IS NO BUT, IT WAS ONLY ONE GAME, END OF SENTENCE. and the reason you don't know which kid is going to have a bigger impact is because NO ONE KNOWS. just enjoy what you got and live with it, nothing is going to change now that you've had shakey feelings after one game. let it go.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Matt13

Doughty has an "A" on his jersey....sometimes.....

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 07:49 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by not tellin View Post
you can't acknowledge that you know it was only one game and then say "but". THERE IS NO BUT, IT WAS ONLY ONE GAME, END OF SENTENCE. and the reason you don't know which kid is going to have a bigger impact is because NO ONE KNOWS. just enjoy what you got and live with it, nothing is going to change now that you've had shakey feelings after one game. let it go.
Exactly!

I don't think this thread would even exist if it weren't for DD's horrid play in the last game.

Besides, Johnson is our version of Bogosian AND then some.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homunculous View Post
Unlike most here, I've actually seen each play about an equal amount of games (I live in Colorado, and work nights, I watch what hockey I can get live.) I'm not going to claim a lack of bias, but I'd take Doughty over Bogo any day of the week( except opening night ) We've been stockpiling character players for a while now, it's not a fault on Doughty he doesnt have an 'A' I consider it a testament to that fact that we dont need to give him it to let him know he is the leader of our D. Just as there is more than one type of great defenseman out there, there is also more than one reason people get letters on their jerseys.
+1 Agree totally with this.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Konk

Quote:
Exaggerate much? How much hockey have you been watching? Chelios was Chicago's offense? Do explain what Jeremy Roenick, Steve Larmer, Michel Goulet and the rest were doing there. Standing by watching Chelios do all the work?
Chelios started it for them . Don't forget he was top 3 in scoring most of the time and even lead those teams in scoring for a few years. That's pretty special. Call me when Doughty does that on a team with some HOF candidates upfront.
Quote:
Oh and I'm sure Kovalchuk, Little, White have no barring on the Thrashers' offense.
When did I say Bogosian was their offense already?
Quote:
Doughty didn't have much help in Guelph either and was the team leading scorer in 06-07 and the team hurt offensively when Doughty missed games in 07-08. In their draft year, Doughty netted 2 more goals but had much less helpers, if you look at the talent around him you'd see why. Next time you question whether or not anyone has seen them play, maybe you should look into doing some research then get back to me. I know what Chelios was capable of in his younger days, hence the comparison to Bogosian?
Doughty is a full developmental year ahead of Bogosian, 06-07 was Doughty's second year in the OHL and Bogosian's first. Remember, Bogosian is a 90 and Doughty is an 89. They both played in two different age groups all the way up.

I'm comparing their draft years, as it's most apt, where Bogosian started to catch-up developmentally. Guelph wasn't much better, but they were better. Thus why Bogosian lead his team in points as a defenseman. I didn't have to do research, I remember their junior careers as I followed both.
Quote:
As for Leetch, the winner of the Calder and Conn Smythe and two Norris Trophies being questionable defensively, that is a joke. His skating was so good that he would cover back and play defense. He did it all for the Rangers and was the backbone to their success.
Right, because Calder winners are never suspect defensively? Especially not in the 80's. His first Norris was a dominant offensive year that put him at 100 points and top 10 in scoring. How many times do you think that happens? Defense was ignored at that point. Look at Mike Green's year, he was a Norris candidate and he probably can't spell defense (or defence in Britain's English). He also wasn't even top 10 in overall league scoring, he was 30th.

I would say the year the Rangers won the cup is when his defense really came around. His offense was always there, but he was definitely suspect at best defensively his first 5-6 years in the league. The rest of his career, he was solid, but no workhorse in his own zone. You're right that his skating was what helped him cover up for all the mistakes he made. Chelios' strength was his defense, his offense was secondary and it was still among the elite.

Konk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 12:49 AM
Dr. Naysay

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Naysay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie562 View Post
where the hell did that come from?? it's been a couple of years man let it go and im a Cammalleri nuthugger.
They got rid of him the same draft they acquired Teubert and Doughty instead of Bogosian. I'd say that makes it relevant enough.

I'd take Doughty and Cammalleri over Bogosian and Teubert.

Just sayin'...

Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 01:19 AM
HookKing

Doughty has great potential (especially on offense) but he is wildly overrated. He gets physically overmatched on a regular basis. He makes plenty of mistakes. I haven't seen Bogosian much.

HookKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 02:43 AM
Randall Graves*

No ya'll shoulda just taken Tyler Myers or John Carlson instead of Tuebert. Bogosian and Doughty is a coin toss, I like Bogo a bit more because he has that nastyness but Doughty has better offensive upside

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 02:45 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13 View Post
Doughty has an "A" on his jersey....sometimes.....

i'm sorry but I really hate that jersey design

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote