HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need help with baking Bauer One95 skates!

Old
10-06-2009, 12:36 PM
night-timer

vCash: 500
Need help with baking Bauer One95 skates!

I have purchased some Bauer One95 skates online. The fit is okay, except across the ball of the foot, where the fit is kinda snug. Wll the heat moulding process loosen that area of the boot?

The skates are a 'D' width and my foot has been measured and is a D width.

At this stage, I need to know whether to exchange the skates for a wider fitting or just heat-mould the existing skates.

night-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 06:29 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

It should help, especally with those skates.

And you should always bake modern skates. They're made specifically for it, and they often won't break in without it.

The One95s have a composite material that changes the shape of the boot to your foot when it's baked. Not doing it, even if they fit you pretty well would be moronic.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 09:35 PM
CanadaBacon

Not always, i never bake. They feel alot better for me without baking them then if i do.

Everyone is different

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 10:06 PM
Saved*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Not always, i never bake. They feel alot better for me without baking them then if i do.

Everyone is different
These skates are designed specifically for being heat molded.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 01:38 PM
CanadaBacon

It doesnt mean they HAVE to be heat moulded.

My car is designed specifically to absorb side impacts, doesnt mean i need someone to ram me to use the feature.

Old
10-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:

My car is designed specifically to absorb side impacts, doesnt mean i need someone to ram me to use the feature.
Poor analogy, nonetheless, you are correct in that one 95's do not have to be heat molded. However, if the pain persists after a few hours of skating, I would bake them and it should go away.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

i baked my skates and it didnt do THAT much it helped break them in and fit a bit better but it doesnt completely shape them to your foot and totally take away break in

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 03:03 PM
RaoulDuke2k

you can probably get them punched out in that area if the baking doesn't fix it.

RaoulDuke2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 08:56 PM
night-timer

How does "punching out" take place? How is it done?

Does heat moulding of One95 skates also mold the toe area of the skates? (The toe cap looks different on these skates than any other skates I've had - a different material.)

On a separate topic, if I haven't asked before, was the cause of death of Raoul Duke (an assumed name, he was a friend of the author Hunter S. Thompson) ever discovered?

Last edited by night-timer: 10-09-2009 at 03:32 AM.
night-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 10:10 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
How does punching out take place? How is it done?

Does heat moulding of One95 skates also mold the toe area of thesr skates? (The to cap looks different on these skates than antany other skates I've had - a different material.)

On a separate topic, if I haven't asked before, was the cause of death of Raoul Duke (an assumed name, he was a friend of the author Hunter S. Thompson) ever discovered?
Raoul Duke was a fictional character. The character was inspired by Raul Castro and John Wayne

RD was used as a source for quotes and opinions that Thompson would not necessarily be able to get away with himself, and actions that Thompson didn't want to admit he had committed himself.

I dont know about your first question though. I dont think so.

Old
10-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Hockeyfan68

Today's skates are all made to be heat molded and not doing so is being ignorant to the purpose of the technology to begin with.

What would be the point of not baking them when you buy them? I would assume they would do it for free with the purchase right? I doubt seriously anyone would refuse a free baking after buying them stating the preferred them unbaked.

Someone buying a $300 to $600 skate and is too cheap to pay the money for baking says something about their personality in a very negative way.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 12:07 AM
Saved*

Quote:

Most skates are designed to be heat molded if the user wishes. The One95 is slightly different in the aspect that it is designed to be heatmolded regardless. It isn't meant to be worn out of the box without it being molded. If you didn't want to mold them, you could have gone for a different skate, much cheaper.

Old
10-09-2009, 12:15 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Today's skates are all made to be heat molded and not doing so is being ignorant to the purpose of the technology to begin with.

What would be the point of not baking them when you buy them? I would assume they would do it for free with the purchase right? I doubt seriously anyone would refuse a free baking after buying them stating the preferred them unbaked.

Someone buying a $300 to $600 skate and is too cheap to pay the money for baking says something about their personality in a very negative way.

I have already answered that, i dont like the way skates feel when they are baked. They feel "sloppy" to me. I never bake my skates. How is a skate feeling better on my foot me being ignorant?

Old
10-09-2009, 12:17 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rented Mule View Post
Most skates are designed to be heat molded if the user wishes. The One95 is slightly different in the aspect that it is designed to be heatmolded regardless. It isn't meant to be worn out of the box without it being molded. If you didn't want to mold them, you could have gone for a different skate, much cheaper.

Show me somewhere that says this is true. Nowhere has anyone in the know said that this skate MUST BE BAKED.

I dont want a pair of these skates, i was just pointing out that not everybody bakes.

Old
10-09-2009, 12:22 AM
Saved*

Quote:
Show me somewhere that says this is true. Nowhere has anyone in the know said that this skate MUST BE BAKED.

I dont want a pair of these skates, i was just pointing out that not everybody bakes.
I'm not your assistant, if you want to find it out, go do it yourself. All I'm telling you is what I know, and that it was designed with specific materials in mind for baking. It is a full composite boot, and to get the full benefit of the skate, it must be baked to your foot. Simple.

If you don't like hearing that your $40.00 knock off skates that you could have baked but didn't, are a piece of crap, then cool, I won't tell you all skates need to be baked. But what I did say is that the One95's, to get the full benefit of the skate, needs to be baked.

Old
10-09-2009, 12:34 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rented Mule View Post
I'm not your assistant, if you want to find it out, go do it yourself. All I'm telling you is what I know, and that it was designed with specific materials in mind for baking. It is a full composite boot, and to get the full benefit of the skate, it must be baked to your foot. Simple.

If you don't like hearing that your $40.00 knock off skates that you could have baked but didn't, are a piece of crap, then cool, I won't tell you all skates need to be baked. But what I did say is that the One95's, to get the full benefit of the skate, needs to be baked.

Well you dont know much.

"The new One95 skate is constructed from a material called ALIVE. What is interesting about this material is that it is not epoxy based. When a skate uses an epoxy based material, the process of “baking” the skate for a better fit is not as useful because only in interior components of the boot are shaped and not the boot itself."

"The new ALIVE material used in the construction of the One95 skate is designed to allow the entire boot to be formed to the foot during the “baking” process resulting in a more customized fit"

http://www.nhldigest.com/bauer-one95-skates/

A "more" customized fit. Stop spreading BS that these skates NEED to be baked or they are worthless.

P.S i use Mission 120 AG btw.

Old
10-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

I think you guys are both right about this. Do one95's HAVE to be baked? No, they can be taken right out of the box without being baked and played in. They are still going to be functional and take you around the rink, which is their function. However, with the boot being full composite, baking them would fully customize the fit, which might enhance their performance.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 03:55 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:

Well you dont know much.

"The new One95 skate is constructed from a material called ALIVE. What is interesting about this material is that it is not epoxy based. When a skate uses an epoxy based material, the process of “baking” the skate for a better fit is not as useful because only in interior components of the boot are shaped and not the boot itself."

"The new ALIVE material used in the construction of the One95 skate is designed to allow the entire boot to be formed to the foot during the “baking” process resulting in a more customized fit"

http://www.nhldigest.com/bauer-one95-skates/

A "more" customized fit. Stop spreading BS that these skates NEED to be baked or they are worthless.

P.S i use Mission 120 AG btw.
A more customized fit- more then the boot comes out of the box with. They're not going to change shape and break in without being baked. I've heard people compare skating on unbaked top end vapors like skating with 2x4s bound to your ankles. Baked they fit wonderfully.

Missions don't need to be baked. They're traditional material boots. But a full composite boot like many modern skates simply needs to be baked for it to form right. A U+ completely changes fit. A One 95 will form to your foot.

More means that they'll fit better then they do out of the box. Which is the goddamned point.

Sure they don't need to be baked. But if you want the best fit and performance out of skates like the one 95, you do NEED to have them baked. They simply don't fully break in just by skating in them.

Old
10-09-2009, 04:13 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
A more customized fit- more then the boot comes out of the box with. They're not going to change shape and break in without being baked. I've heard people compare skating on unbaked top end vapors like skating with 2x4s bound to your ankles. Baked they fit wonderfully.

Missions don't need to be baked. They're traditional material boots. But a full composite boot like many modern skates simply needs to be baked for it to form right. A U+ completely changes fit. A One 95 will form to your foot.

More means that they'll fit better then they do out of the box. Which is the goddamned point.

Sure they don't need to be baked. But if you want the best fit and performance out of skates like the one 95, you do NEED to have them baked. They simply don't fully break in just by skating in them.

Mission 120 ag is composite.

Old
10-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
I have already answered that, i dont like the way skates feel when they are baked. They feel "sloppy" to me. I never bake my skates. How is a skate feeling better on my foot me being ignorant?
Maybe I just do not understand how a skate can be "sloppy" if it is baked.

Seems impossible honestly.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 07:29 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Maybe I just do not understand how a skate can be "sloppy" if it is baked.

Seems impossible honestly.
I doesnt "feel" right on my foot. Not as in it is flopping around.

Old
10-09-2009, 09:27 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Mission 120 ag is composite.
Just the outsole. The rest of the skate isn't. Unless you're talking about a different Mission Fuel 120 Ag then this?
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-...l120ag-sr.html

Quote:
I doesnt "feel" right on my foot. Not as in it is flopping around.
What skate were you baking?

Old
10-13-2009, 04:40 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Just the outsole. The rest of the skate isn't. Unless you're talking about a different Mission Fuel 120 Ag then this?
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-...l120ag-sr.html

What skate were you baking?
Besides the 120 ag i have tried the S15 and the Supreme 5000 (i think).

The Mission Pure is brutal so i guess i will try baking again with whatever brand i go with once these 120's die.

Old
10-19-2009, 12:31 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

How is the width fit on the one95 compared to the one90 and the old vapor xxv/xxxx line?

Last edited by BadHammy*: 10-19-2009 at 01:54 PM.
BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
How is the width fit on the one95 compared to the one90 and the old vapor xxv/xxxx line?
It's the widest Bauer skate. Much wider than the One90 and it will fit a wider range of feet better. The "negative space" is created more through molding rather than the initial fit of the boot. There is more volume as well than the Vapor line and the One90

Baking should help the OP provided you're not hitting the toe-cap. If so, then punching the skate out could help. Did you order online or go to a shop and try the skates on?

Punching compresses the material and moves the exterior of the skate allowing for more room. It can be done with the One95, but if the person doesn't know what they're doing they can screw up the boot.

I think I know one or two (out of maybe a hundred) people who DID NOT bake One95s and it took them a very long time to break them in and they had a good deal of blisters.

It's designed to be baked, allowing your heel to move back into the skate as your ankles are molding. If your foot feels "sloppy" after baking then you might have gotten a skate that is too big.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote