HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Guy

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2004, 11:30 PM
aspin

vCash: 500
Guy

Guy,
Can you ask someone from the Oilers who their ECHL affiliate will be next year. Columbus is no more. Speaking of which Micka, Plourde, and Mathieu Roy were assigned to Toronto after their season. I thought Kenton Smith was signed by Toronto as well and would accompany them. Tessier must be up in Toronto as well. It must be crowded in practice with Platt and Kenny Smith as well.

Old
04-08-2004, 01:34 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspin
Guy,
Can you ask someone from the Oilers who their ECHL affiliate will be next year. Columbus is no more. Speaking of which Micka, Plourde, and Mathieu Roy were assigned to Toronto after their season. I thought Kenton Smith was signed by Toronto as well and would accompany them. Tessier must be up in Toronto as well. It must be crowded in practice with Platt and Kenny Smith as well.
Thanks for the tip, I hadn't heard that Columbus was, what... folded? I will try to find out for sure.

It must be crowded for sure... add Stortini to that list of newcomers now too.

Old
04-08-2004, 02:02 AM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
I hadn't heard that Columbus was, what... folded? I will try to find out for sure.
The franchise is suspending operations for a year as they prepare to move to Brandenton/Sarasota Florida.

Both EDM and MON will have to find a new affiliate next year if they so desire. As I mentioned on the Montreal board, this shouldn't be difficult as there are many unaffiliated teams. I would recommend looking into Greenville. Atlanta was affiliated with them for three years and only ended it because they wanted to go with a team within the metro area. Nothing wrong with them, I'm sure they are looking for a new NHL team too, they had a bad year this year.

Old
04-08-2004, 02:27 AM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyG
The franchise is suspending operations for a year as they prepare to move to Brandenton/Sarasota Florida.

Both EDM and MON will have to find a new affiliate next year if they so desire. As I mentioned on the Montreal board, this shouldn't be difficult as there are many unaffiliated teams. I would recommend looking into Greenville. Atlanta was affiliated with them for three years and only ended it because they wanted to go with a team within the metro area. Nothing wrong with them, I'm sure they are looking for a new NHL team too, they had a bad year this year.
Question for you. Do you know if the Victoria Salmon Kings(Has to be the worst team name ever) have an affiliate at all or not?

Old
04-08-2004, 02:29 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
Question for you. Do you know if the Victoria Salmon Kings(Has to be the worst team name ever) have an affiliate at all or not?
I don't think they do yet... gee that would be nicer wouldn't it? Maybe the Canucks and the Oilers could team upfor that one, NHL teams send like a half dozen players to the ECHL so two teams often share (MTL and EDM did with Columbus).

Old
04-08-2004, 10:42 AM
Holly Gunning

I wouldn't say often share, there were only two shared affiliates last year, yours with Montreal and Toledo with Detroit and Nashville, though that was only in name because Nashville didn't send anyone there all year. NHL teams usually send 2-3 players to the ECHL. Well, except for Tampa, they sent more because they didn't have a full AHL affiliate. But that's changing next year.

No, the Salmon Kings haven't announced an affiliate yet. Wouldn't be surprised to see it be Vancouver, but they have had a relationship with Columbia that has worked well, they have a real good coach there (he's a pain, but a good coach). So who knows.

Old
04-08-2004, 10:52 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
While it might be nice to have your ECHL team close to your NHL team, it's not often you call a guy up from the ECHL. I think it would be a much better idea to put the team close to Toronto and the Roadrunners, who would be doing the call-ups. Maybe somewhere like London would be interested in a ECHL team? .... or just affeliate the Oilers with an existing ECHL team that doesn't already have an affiliation and is close to Toronto.

Old
04-08-2004, 11:22 AM
Jim_Harnock

the Oilers new ECHL affilicate will be the South Caronlina Stingrays, I believe.

Old
04-08-2004, 11:44 AM
Holly Gunning

Yes, they had an official relationship with them already. Brett Henley ended up there through the Roadrunners. I had forgotten about that.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:31 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

The official word from the Oilers on the subject: "Don't know for sure if Columbus is ceasing operations and don't know for sure what we'd be doing if they did".

Old
04-08-2004, 12:42 PM
Holly Gunning

Well a league press release yesterday said that they are suspending operations, and a guy I know who works for them confirmed the situation. I don't know what else you need, but to me, that's enough. Apparently the Oilers are the last to hear. It didn't come as a surprise if you know the situation there. They don't have the attendance numbers to support a team in this league. The city will have a team next year, but it will be one in a lower league, maybe the SEHL.

Here's the release:
PRINCETON, N.J. – The ECHL announced on Wednesday that the Board of Governors has approved voluntary suspension requests from Cincinnati and Columbus for the 2004-05 playing season. The Board of Governors also approved a Transfer of Home Territory request from DVA Sports to relocate from Columbus to Bradenton/Sarasota, Florida. The team is scheduled to begin play in 2005-06 in a $46 million, 7,400-seat multi-use arena, scheduled to open in September of 2005 in Manatee County.
The ECHL will play with 30 teams in 2004-05, including the remaining 29 teams that played in 2003-04 as well as the Victoria Salmon Kings, who will play in Victoria, British Columbia. The first ECHL team outside of the United States, Victoria will play at the Victoria Arena, a $30 million state-of-the-art multipurpose facility with a seating capacity of 7,000, scheduled to open in the fall of 2004.

The Board of Governors has approved a 72-game schedule for 2004-05 with the season beginning October 22 and concluding April 9. The ECHL is developing the 2004-05 playing schedule to be released in early May.

Began in 1988 with five teams in three states, the ECHL is the largest league in professional hockey and will have 30 teams in 17 states and one Canadian province playing 1,080 games in 2004-05. There have been 253 ECHL players that have advanced to the NHL, including a record 36 players in 2003-04 that appeared in the NHL after playing in the ECHL. The ECHL has affiliations with 21 of the 30 teams in the NHL in 2003-04 and there has been an ECHL player on each of the 30 NHL teams in 2003-04. There are nine ECHL coaches in the NHL, including Carolina Hurricanes Head Coach Peter Laviolette and Florida Panthers Head Coach John Torchetti, and there are 13 referees and three linesmen with ECHL experience on the 2003-04 NHL officiating staff. There are former ECHL coaches behind the bench on 14 of the 28 AHL teams, and the ECHL has affiliation agreements with 21 of the 28 teams in the AHL in 2003-04.

Last edited by Holly Gunning: 04-08-2004 at 12:45 PM.
Old
04-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Thanks holly, I forwarded it to the Oilers...

Old
04-08-2004, 06:09 PM
Jim_Harnock

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyG
Yes, they had an official relationship with them already. Brett Henley ended up there through the Roadrunners. I had forgotten about that.
Yeah, he did. I forgot too, don't worry I found it odd though -- he was the only Oiler guy on SC last season. Talk about a gradual move, eh

Old
04-08-2004, 06:17 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Harnock
Yeah, he did. I forgot too, don't worry I found it odd though -- he was the only Oiler guy on SC last season. Talk about a gradual move, eh
Kind of like how Michael Henrich ended the year in Hershey last season (02-03) after coming back from Europe. I know, different league.

Old
04-08-2004, 07:59 PM
Holly Gunning

I saw Henley play again a week or two ago, he looked good again. I still think there is some good potential. He has good form skating, but terrible balance. He'll fool you, he'll look really good and then just fall inexplicably. Sort of entertaining, actually.

Old
04-11-2004, 02:19 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
Kind of like how Michael Henrich ended the year in Hershey last season (02-03) after coming back from Europe. I know, different league.
That was just a loaner, I don't think the Oil are affiliated at all they just wanted Henrich to get some playing time.

IIRC Henrich wasn't even on their clear day roster after the move.

Old
04-11-2004, 04:12 PM
Jim_Harnock

There was an early-season agreement for the option of both EDM and MTL assigning players to Hersey suring their split affiliation. I think was only 2 each.

Closed Thread