HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Training camp without shooting...WTH

View Poll Results: Is it normal to see a kids training camp where players never shoot the puck?
Yep 10 41.67%
Depends on the coach 11 45.83%
I've never seen it 2 8.33%
Where's this camp a gulag 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Hemmer in 08

vCash: 500
Training camp without shooting...WTH

My son has just wrapped up his training camp. Over the three days the coaches skated the kids hard. They had them do a couple of puck control drills but not even once did they shoot the puck.

Is this normal?

H

Hemmer in 08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 10:20 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer in 08 View Post
My son has just wrapped up his training camp. Over the three days the coaches skated the kids hard. They had them do a couple of puck control drills but not even once did they shoot the puck.

Is this normal?

H
Well for starters how old is your son?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Hemmer in 08

He's 8. He is a second year novice player this season

H

Old
09-28-2009, 11:55 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Eh, if that's the case I don't think it can hurt. They're just working them to make sure that everything with balance and movement is down. Stuff like stickhandling and shooting can be worked with off the ice if needed. But really everything in hockey is generated from the legs, so getting down their skating ability is pretty vital, whether it be drills to develop proper skating skills or drills to strengthen the legs (endurance, agility, etc). It's also training camp, so that factors in. I'd expect more drills to focus on other aspects of their game during practices when it gets closer to the season.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 01:11 PM
blueberrydanish

Well for only 3 days it seems pretty legit to me. At that age(assume just beginning) learning skating fundamentals is key.

Being able to shoot is useless if you can't get to the puck, turn sharp, skate fast, shoot from different positions due to balance, list goes on. Learning how to handle a puck and shoot will be SOOOO much easier once your child feels comfortable just being able to skate, cause he wont be worried about making sure he is doing two things correctly at once in his head.

Hopefully skating becomes more second nature to him at some point in the near future then he can truely focus on shooting/stick handling. I wouldn't be too worried, seems like the right thing to do for the situation.

Also, I voted for "Depends on the coach" just beacuse you probably wont see this in more advanced levels of coaching seeing how as the basics of skating might be expected to be known at that point.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
When I helped coach peewees we always said that you could shoot on your own time, it was our job to teach you how to be in position through intelligence and skating to be able to score even with the worst shot ever.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 03:17 PM
BLKHKhockey

I can see no shooting for older kids but for 8 year olds i think it's a little extreme. By not letting them shoot, you might be discouraging the kids from hockey because they're not having fun. Usually when coaches let you take shots it's not for shooting practice, it's an insentive, in a way, to make the kids skate harder or to let them have a little fun.

Don't get me wrong, only skating can only make him a better skater. And like previously mentioned, you can shoot on your own time at home but ice time is rare.

BLKHKhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 05:37 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperstarTreatment View Post
When I helped coach peewees we always said that you could shoot on your own time, it was our job to teach you how to be in position through intelligence and skating to be able to score even with the worst shot ever.
+1

At 8, most goalies aren't even big enough to take away the entire lower half of the net along the ice, much less the rest of it. It's a huge plus if your team even has a goalie that can intentionally stop 3/4 of the pucks that are shot right at him. I can't tell you how many pucks with just trickle right between a little tyke's legs despite moving so slowly that the puck might come to a dead stop before it even hits the back of the goal.

You don't need to be a one-time, slapshooting, top shelf roofing sniper to score in mites, or even in squirts. What scores goals at that age is speed, stability, stickhandling, body position, and puck movement.

Watch your son's games carefully. How many goals in his league are scored from even 20 feet away or more? 5%? 10%? Of those that do go in from that far, how many are quality shots, and how many went in just because the goalie "missed" it.

Goals in youth hockey are scored by the kids who skate the fastest and have the best control of the puck. Most goals are scored by the kids who can stickhandle through defenders. The ones who can make and catch clean passes to and from their teammates. The ones who are good enough defensively to steal the puck from an opponent, or win a battle along the boards, and can then take off with it for a clean breakaway. When they score on a breakaway, it's not by sniping top shelf backhanders, it's because they skated well enough to get the goalie out of position for a wide open net. Other less speedy kids will score because they set themselves up positionally to take advantage of a loose puck in front of an open net on a juicy rebound.

Kids can shoot in their own backyard on their own time. Kids can go and play pickup. What kids that age NEED from coaches is work on their skating, stickhandling, position, etc. The other stuff comes later.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:01 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post
^^^yup^^^

Been to many, many camps like this.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 03:04 AM
Hemmer in 08

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

The good news is he didn't seem to miss a beat. He made the team and is off to quite a tear with 6 pts in the last two games

Old
10-05-2009, 02:57 PM
K-PAX*

Personally I think it's pretty stupid, but for 8 year old it's probably not the worst thing.

To be fair, a piece of plexiglass and a solid concrete wall can help build a good shot. I guess it's not absolutely necessary to have shot drills in the camp, but I don't see how there wasn't enough time for it. Additionally, it's a lot funner than boring cone drills and helps snap the kids out of monotony.

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 03:15 PM
droller*

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

The good news is he didn't seem to miss a beat. He made the team and is off to quite a tear with 6 pts in the last two games
good to see parents keeping stats for their 8 year old...

MY BOYS GONNA PLAY IN THE BIG LEAGUE!

droller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 04:58 PM
K-PAX*

Quote:
Originally Posted by droller View Post
good to see parents keeping stats for their 8 year old...

MY BOYS GONNA PLAY IN THE BIG LEAGUE!
That'll get his goat for good, nice.

Guy keeping stats for his kid. How ridiculous.

droller more like troller.

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:00 PM
fearitself

I dont think its a great idea... I think you need to mix things up and work on a more wide variety of skills, especially when working with 8 year olds when attention spans can be a factor.

Unless the camp is advertised as a specific powerskating camp, I think it should touch on all the fundamental hockey skills.

In the OP's defence. If he is not keeping stats for his child, you can bet your bottom dollar that the young lad is keeping his own stats.

fearitself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:03 PM
noobman

Quote:
He's 8. He is a second year novice player this season

H
At that age it's far more important to work on skating than shooting... especially this early in the season.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:54 PM
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!

I personally HATE camps with no shooting (power skating is exception)

But i can understand

Maybe get a pack of cheap golf balls and he can stick handle in a safe place (i did that over the summer and i friggen stick handle anywhere now )

And for shooting plexi-glass cracks, so LHS sometimes have some shooting pads, HDPE is really good. Even a slab of hardwood with pledge.

www.hockeyshot.ca or .com depending where you are.Has high quality training aids also, some cheap some super expensive. Just incase you wanted to look.

but I really really recommend the stick+golf ball if he does it for even a bit like 10 mins a day if that, you will notice a difference. But at that age make sure it's a safe place or else he could lose control and the golf ball will maybe break something.

Just wanted to tell you incase you wondered how to do that on dryland.

But sometimes camps are like this all skate, no shooting. and all you need to do is find something that's slippery, spray a pledge like thing, get some pucks and that improves shooting. Yes a lot of this is probably no help but i was kinda bored

Oh and sledgehammers are a great way to take out frustration as a kid

gojacketsgo61 is offline   Reply With Quote