HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yannick Weber: Your evaluation

Old
10-06-2009, 11:13 PM
HabsHockey

vCash: 500
Yannick Weber: Your evaluation

So thoughts on him after his first game back up from the farm team.

Played a pretty good game but still needs some improvement.
Seems to be comfortable with the puck unlike some of our D. Maybe he needs some more training but unless it's from the actual Habs organization i don't think keeping him with the Dogs for another season after this one will help him. I can see him being making the team next year as 3rd pairing and getting some PP time on the 2nd unit. Hopefully he will mature and get a bit bigger up top and make our 2nd line pairing.

Thoughts also on how long we keep him up while Markov is out or is it hid spot to lost to MAB.

HabsHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 11:18 PM
TroyM

I liked his game all preseason and I liked his game tonight. A real hard game to throw a rookie in, but he held his own I thought and even got off a couple bombs, one of which looked a little dangerous. I think he's doing fine, and that he is going to definitely make the team full time next year just like you said. He'll see some more games with our injuries this year, then next year he should be a staple on the third pair with PP time and continue to improve.

It's too bad there were no PPs AT ALL for him to show his stuff, but alas.

IMO his development is right on track, and he looks like he'll definitely be a frequent NHLer for us very soon.

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Cupmonger

Me likes what I've seen. Hope he keeps it up and gets more comfy with the NHL so he can show us his real potential.

Good stuff. Good stuff.

Cupmonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 11:22 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

And he couldn't even show his best game (PP).

SergeConstantin74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 11:23 PM
HabsHockey

I'm hoping he will become a home grown D for the next couple of years for us. After all these contracts are up, Bob needs to start letting the farm loose a bit.

Old
10-06-2009, 11:28 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

not bad

still needs work down low. He got manhandled by Bourque which eventually lead to a goal.

Stewart didnt help either. He missed his point assignment twice which lead to 2 goals.

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 11:31 PM
HabsHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
not bad

still needs work down low. He got manhandled by Bourque which eventually lead to a goal.

Stewart didnt help either. He missed his point assignment twice which lead to 2 goals.
Yeah, i think he still needs to learn these things but at a NHL level. Probably happens less to him on the farm but when it's against big boys you gotta change your game up a bit. Hopefully a nice video session with our D team can teach him a few things at this level.

Old
10-06-2009, 11:40 PM
SuperUnknown

While he will never be mistaken for Obyrne in the defensive zone, I think he had a decent game and that he got better and better. He is a smart player and he knows how to do his coverage in the defensive zone. On offense, I think that he needs to adjust to the NHL's game speed as he got a few passes and shots blocked because the openings are closing fast.

Imo he didn't look worse than anyone not named Spacek or Hamrlik and I wouldn't be concerned with him taking the spot until O'Byrne comes back.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 11:46 PM
Bulis hit

I like him as a prospect. I think he played an ok game. Played decently defensively, but I think on a longer scale, he would be exposed. Offensively I don't quite know. He's got a strong shot, but, maybe it was the nerves, but he shot from bad angles all the time when he wasn't fully in control.. The result was weak shots that had no chance to go in and stopped our attack.

In due time, I am sure he'll be good, but I'd like to see him back to the farm when we can afford it(Markov or O'Byrne back).

Bulis hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Mother Pucker

For his first game of the year, against a very good offensive team, he showed he belonged in the NHL. I'm looking forward to seeing him develop this year and the next!

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 01:51 AM
TankEller*

He's more NHL-ready than Stewart, Chipchura, D'Agostini and Pacioretty.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 06:01 AM
felixd

I'd say he played a solid game. Very comfortable while handling the puck and passing it. Seems like he won some battles for the puck, but lost some others too easily. I think his positioning is fine, but it looks like he probably needs to increase his strength to win those battles that he's losing right now.

If he's not NHL ready now, he's verrrrrrrrrrry close.

felixd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 07:34 AM
habs1988

I don't want to put reason for the loss, but is it me or the ice was AWFUL yesterday?

There was ice after like 6minutes in the period.

Well, some passes were totally broke and it was clearly against Weber. He's a very good puck passer and yesterday he couldn't make a good pass because of the ice.

habs1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 07:43 AM
canadianeh

Gotta get that point shot through, or at least NOT let the high man block it. If you don't have a lane, don't shoot it. Otherwise you see it going as a 2-1 the other way a lot.

canadianeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 07:50 AM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianeh View Post
Gotta get that point shot through, or at least NOT let the high man block it. If you don't have a lane, don't shoot it. Otherwise you see it going as a 2-1 the other way a lot.
Also known as a "Komisarek".

felixd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 08:11 AM
Markovskaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Pucker View Post
For his first game of the year, against a very good offensive team, he showed he belonged in the NHL. I'm looking forward to seeing him develop this year and the next!
I wouldnt say that. Calgary lacks punch in offense it's well known. Yesterday some goons just picked thier game up and scored but it's not normally what happens.

Anyway I hink Weber played ok. Not impressed with his passing but solid skating. His positioning was a bit off.

All in all, the kid has some NHL potential....unlike 1ST ROUND PICK CHIPCHURA.

Markovskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 08:18 AM
LouisJCloutier

A missed the first period ( had a date ) but from what I saw he was solid. He's mobile, fast on his skate and made some good pass. I wanted to see him on PP but I'm sure we'll see that tonight.

Martin liked what he saw yesterday since Weber was on the ice with less then one minute to play.

Loved Martin defense pairing btw. The big ones are with mobile one (Mara-Weber Gille-Gorges).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markovskaya View Post
I wouldnt say that. Calgary lacks punch in offense it's well known. Yesterday some goons just picked thier game up and scored but it's not normally what happens.

Anyway I hink Weber played ok. Not impressed with his passing but solid skating. His positioning was a bit off.

All in all, the kid has some NHL potential....unlike 1ST ROUND PICK CHIPCHURA.
Well if Stewart didn't miss a very good pass by Chipchura that every NHL player should be able to get, the Flames wouldn't have scored the third goal and Chipchura wouldn't be blamed so much.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-07-2009 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Merge
LouisJCloutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 08:27 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisJCloutier View Post
A missed the first period ( had a date ) but from what I saw he was solid. He's mobile, fast on his skate and made some good pass. I wanted to see him on PP but I'm sure we'll see that tonight.

Martin liked what he saw yesterday since Weber was on the ice with less then one minute to play.

Loved Martin defense pairing btw. The big ones are with mobile one (Mara-Weber Gille-Gorges).
This doesn't count as a date...

Kidding

Hope it went well.....you know what I mean!!!???

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
True. And yet he's really not NHL-ready either. Great poise, love the way he approaches the game, loved the way Mara was communicating with him and how active he tried to be with the puck. But he's raw and it shows.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 08:49 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Thats not saying much. lol

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 09:05 AM
kovaless

well, I didn't really notice him too much. I guess that's good and bad. I don't think he made any big mistakes, but he didn't do anything spectacular. The comment about making sure the shooting lane is open before ripping it is very valid. I saw him take a couple shots where he should have waited a little. Besides that, I never felt scared on D.

kovaless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 11:36 AM
kostitsyn1489

He looked good on D. Offensively 1-2 good shots. No PP so it makes it harder for him.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Loses too many battles along the boards

Pierre Dagenais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 12:24 PM
xposbrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
not bad

Ya I saw that, he has to clear the front of the net so halak/price can see. He can skate, take shots, but he has to work on his clearing the front of the net. I don't know if it means adding more muscle or just using his body more, but he has to be aggressive in our zone.

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Go Habs Go

I'm not a fan of Webber so far. Shoots the puck immediately as he touches it almost. Weak defensively (though not the worst). I think it would be good for him to be on the main team when Markov is here, when we're not relying on him for much. For now, I would rather see a veteran out there.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote