HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Coyotes @ Penguins (10/07/09)

Old
10-07-2009, 01:08 AM
andimgone

vCash: 500
Coyotes @ Penguins (10/07/09)

4:30 PM (MST)
TV: FSN-AZ (Local)
NHLN-US , TSN (HD) (National)

Game Preview
News: AZ Central | East Valley Tribune
Player Stats: PHO | PIT
NHL Standings

Game Coverage Links
ScoresheetGameCenter Event Summary
Play-by-PlayBox ScoreTOI: PHO PIT

Last Meeting
Date Winner Score 1st Star
Oct.30, 20084-1 Shane Doan

Team Comparison
 Phoenix Pittsburgh
Record:
1-0-0 - 2 PTS 2-0-0 - 4 PTS
Conference:
3rd 4th
Division:
1st 2nd
Home:
0-0-0 1-0-0
Away:
1-0-0 1-0-0
GF Avg.:
6.00 (T 1st)3.00 (T 15th)
GA Avg.:
3.00 (T 11th)2.50 (T 8th)
PP %:
33.0 (T 7th) 20.0 (T 19th)
PK %:
25.0 (30th)80.0 (T 11th)
Last 10 GP:
1-0-0 2-0-0

Rosters
Phoenix
Coyotes

Pittsburgh
Penguins
ForwardsDefense  Forwards Defense
Paul Bissonnette Adrian Aucoin   Craig Adams Mark Eaton
Mikkel Boedker Ed Jovanovski   Chris Bourque Alex Goligoski
Shane Doan Sami Lepisto   Matt Cooke Sergei Gonchar
Vernon Fiddler Zbynek Michalek   Sidney Crosby Kris Letang
Martin Hanzal Kurt Sauer   Pascal Dupuis Jay McKee
Lauri Korpikoski Jim Vandermeer   Ruslan Fedotenko Brooks Orpik
Robert Lang Keith Yandle   Eric Godard Martin Skoula
Matthew Lombardi   Bill Guerin
Peter Mueller   Tyler Kennedy
Petr Prucha   Chris Kunitz
Scottie Upshall Goalies   Evgeni Malkin Goalies
Radim Vrbata Ilya Bryzgalov   Michael Rupp Marc-Andre Fleury
Daniel Winnik Jason LaBarbera   Jordan Staal Brent Johnson

Injured
Phoenix Player Status Pittsburgh Player Status
Taylor Pyatt Injured Reserve Maxime Talbot Injured Reserve

andimgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 02:08 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I wonder if Bissonnette will get the start against his old team? The Penguins chose Godard and Rupp over him. Perhaps he'll be motivated to make them think twice about their choice. Anyway, both Godard and Rupp are pretty much every day players, so it might make sense to give Bissonnette a look, tonight. I just don't really know who we'd take out of the line-up. Winnik had that nice tip-in, and a pretty good game, all around. Korpikoski wasn't very noticeable. I don't know if you bench a guy after one average game, though. Especially with Pyatt due back soon, and Winnik making the demotion decision a tough one. We might need every look we can get at both Winnik and Korpikoski, before Pyatt's return. Especially considering that Winnik will be subject to waivers if assigned to the AHL.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 02:15 AM
XX
... Waiting

Put the nasty one on a line with Winnik and Fiddler. Korpikoski was solid, if unspectacular. Against less physical teams he will be the perfect insert. Pens ice a true grind line, though, so we should counter. Biz will be fired up, too, so why not? Normally I'm not for throwing players a bone but it would be a nice gesture, and it's early in the season. I remember Gretzky scratching Mueller in Minny and Turris in Vancouver. That was brutal to those kids.

I want to see what he can do with a regular shift. If he bombs, double shift Boedker, Prucha or Doan.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 02:25 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
I remember Gretzky scratching Mueller in Minny and Turris in Vancouver. That was brutal to those kids.
Ugh, don't remind me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
I want to see what he can do with a regular shift. If he bombs, double shift Boedker, Prucha or Doan.
Or Upshall or Vrbata. Give each guy one extra shift, and it'd likely cover it. I mean, Winnik had less than ten minutes of ice time in LA.

Old
10-07-2009, 09:02 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
This is going to be a tough one but it is a good measuring stick game.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 09:40 AM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

It will be tough but with Max T out that should help the Coyotes some!

It will be interesting to see how the Coyotes respond with Dave Tippett focused on improving on the pk.

Also early on its a 4 way tie with 2 points each in the division with the Coyotes playing the fewest games as well.

San Jose is 1-2-0 after a 6-4 loss to the Kings last night.

If the Yotes are going to make the playoffs this season they are going to need to win a lot of games early on so when the teams breaks do fail we have have enough traction to not crash into a wall.
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Korpedo would seem like a candidate to sit for BizNasty, but Tippet did single out him & Fiddler in an article for their good play against the Kings.

I didn't realize it, but I guess Upshall didn't see the ice after his penalty in the 3rd period, but I can't imaging Tippet would try to make an example of him...especially if he reviewed the penalty calls.

Given Tippet's reputation, maybe Boedker?

Maybe Winnik to show him Tippet isn't so concerned with his goal-scoring, as he is with his style of play?

I have no idea...what a luxury as last year you could have picked from 3 players to bench, and now it's a question of why bench anyone...

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Ty Webb*

Forgive my ignorance, where's Turris? He banged up or spending some time in the AHL? Cheers.

Ty Webb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 02:33 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Webb View Post
Forgive my ignorance, where's Turris? He banged up or spending some time in the AHL? Cheers.
Turris is down in the AHL with the San Antonio Rampage...has an assist in two games so far.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 02:43 PM
DouX
Keeping Arizona Icy

Two fast teams going at it. The Penguins obviously have some of the greatest talent in the world on their team, but we can beat them if we play them physical. I hope the Coyotes are ready for tonight, this is game could give them loads of confidence.

DouX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Ty Webb*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Turris is down in the AHL with the San Antonio Rampage...has an assist in two games so far.
Thanks. Can't wait for him to come into his own. In a couple years he'll shut some people up.

Ty Webb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 03:08 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Lepisto "likely" in for Sauer...

Quote:
Defenseman Sami Lepisto likely will make his Coyotes debut tonight in place of Kurt Sauer, who is nursing a minor injury.
http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=501353

Old
10-07-2009, 03:21 PM
WJF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Interesting news. Hope it isn't serious.

If they play as disciplined as they did on saturday, will be a close game at least.

I like how Tippet is using Doan. I'll go on record and say that Doan was overused the last 5-6 years on this team and perhaps it's one of the reasons why we faltered. Don't get me wrong, i love the guy for what he brings, i just don't think he can carry a team to success all by himself - just like Brendan morrow and ryan smyth can't. I like doan in that 16-17min range. This is a young (fast) man's game now.

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 03:24 PM
mti79

vCash: 50
I was so excited that I was going to be able to watch this game on Center Ice, then I find out it's only on the NHL Network, which I do not get. Dammit... Guess I'll have to wait for tomorrow night when I'll get to see the boys play live in Buffalo! 18 rows off the ice behind the Sabres goalie in the 1st and 3rd. Whoo!!!

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Artyukhin*

my prediction is Yotes win . Doan and Lang will have good nights.

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 03:52 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
How do the lines look tonight guys? I botched them pretty badly in my GDT

BTW, you guys are more than welcome to stop by. We also do a 5 up/5 down (or +/-) thread after the game to follow up. Feel free to come by and talk about the game.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 03:54 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Good early test for the team. Lets see if the players can stay disciplined and avoid penalties against a powerfull powerplay.

ParisSaintGermain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 04:09 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
How do the lines look tonight guys? I botched them pretty badly in my GDT

BTW, you guys are more than welcome to stop by. We also do a 5 up/5 down (or +/-) thread after the game to follow up. Feel free to come by and talk about the game.
No, you were very close. Switch Doan and Boedker so Doan is on the left and Boedker on the right. Take out the injured Pyatt and replace him with Korpikoski. Bissonnette might get the start tonight, but I'm doubting that. Our PK struggled against the Kings. I don't think we'll take out a good PKer like Korpikoski or Winnik just to get a fighter in there. Not against that Penguins powerplay, anyway. The defensive pairings are up in the air with Lepisto likely to replace Sauer, who is apparently nursing a minor injury. Personally, I'd like to see Jovo and Aucoin, Michalek and Yandle, and Vandermeer with Lepisto. That's just my own opinion, though. Who knows how it will shake out by game time?

Old
10-07-2009, 04:34 PM
krepitch
Coyote Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
I was so excited that I was going to be able to watch this game on Center Ice, then I find out it's only on the NHL Network, which I do not get. Dammit... Guess I'll have to wait for tomorrow night when I'll get to see the boys play live in Buffalo! 18 rows off the ice behind the Sabres goalie in the 1st and 3rd. Whoo!!!
Definitely check out the GDT thread by ColePens on the Penguins board. There are links to watch the game online (I have never done this, but I'm sure there are options that can work for you).

BTW, I see ColePens has posted here. Good job on that thread. Should be a fun one tonight.

krepitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 04:35 PM
yakko

From Twitter:
Quote:
Outside Mellon Arena. Thousands of students lined up for discount tix. Sami Lepisto in. Sauer out. Brent Johnson in goal for Pitt -Strader

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 04:41 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I guess we should expect that Bissonnette sits again. If there is news of the Lepisto/Sauer thing, I would think that we would've also heard about any Bissonnette/Korpikoski move. Fine with me. Our PK struggled against the LA Kings. We're going to need all the capable PKers we can get if we're going to face the Penguins, of all powerplays.

Old
10-07-2009, 04:43 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by krepitch View Post
BTW, I see ColePens has posted here. Good job on that thread. Should be a fun one tonight.
I'm going to visist every Penguins GDT for the rest of the season, so long as they continue to pack each one with Gina Carano gifs. Good god!

Old
10-07-2009, 04:49 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by krepitch View Post
Definitely check out the GDT thread by ColePens on the Penguins board. There are links to watch the game online (I have never done this, but I'm sure there are options that can work for you).

I appreciate that. Our fanbase definitely empathizes with what the Yotes are going through right now. I've sat at Mellon Arena w/ only 4500 other ppl to watch the Pens play the Thrashers and not knowing if we'd even have a team anymore. The hockey Gods blessed us and we hope they do the same to you guys.

If any two teams can get along... it's definitely the Pens and the Coyotes.

Also, thank you to rt! Sometimes it's tough getting the lines on board for the opposition. I appreciate that and if there are any last minute changes feel free to PM me.

Hope you guys stop by! Take care and good luck.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 04:56 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Great, now the tables are set for a questionable hit, resulting in an injury to a star player, resulting in a brawl, resulting in suspensions, resulting in a cross-board flame-war resulting in infractions and bans. HAHA! Thanks for the kind words. I'd love to see our team grow up in similar fashion to the Penguins, that's for sure.

Old
10-07-2009, 05:29 PM
SH1VERmeT1MBERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Great, now the tables are set for a questionable hit, resulting in an injury to a star player, resulting in a brawl, resulting in suspensions, resulting in a cross-board flame-war resulting in infractions and bans. HAHA! Thanks for the kind words. I'd love to see our team grow up in similar fashion to the Penguins, that's for sure.
Me too, but wouldn't that require two 1st overall and two 2nd overall draft picks in four consecutive seasons?

SH1VERmeT1MBERS is offline   Reply With Quote