HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts Appreciation Thread

Old
10-08-2009, 09:40 PM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
I appreciate him benching Roszival when that would have been unheard of during the previous tenure.

I love the shot of him yelling at Voros after the pp goal against.

It got someone's attention because we ripped off 2 straight goals and got the win.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 09:43 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

what about the fact that if torts would've shortened the bench in a tie game halfway through the 3rd they wouldn't have needed gabby's heroics. terrible game for the hypocritical windbag.

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 09:51 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHamiltonsTan View Post
what about the fact that if torts would've shortened the bench in a tie game halfway through the 3rd they wouldn't have needed gabby's heroics. terrible game for the hypocritical windbag.
Bitter much?

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 10:05 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Hahahahaha. Anyone else notice that the "reporter" from the guys who pay him (i.e. Sam) gets different treatment from the rest of the press corps...?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 10:09 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
OMG, he's testing his players in the fourth game of the season?!?!?

Seriously dude, you don't know whether or not you can depend on a player unless you give him an opportunity in a big situation.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 10:13 PM
KingLundqvistXXX
Confetti & Balloons

He didnt even have to call a timeout and go ****in ape **** bananas this time lol

KingLundqvistXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 10:15 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 10:36 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Hahahahaha. Anyone else notice that the "reporter" from the guys who pay him (i.e. Sam) gets different treatment from the rest of the press corps...?
i definitely dont give torts as much **** for his interviews as many (i just see Torts as a straight up hockey coach, who sees anything outside of coaching as a waste of his time, for better or worse), but definitely noticed how he called on sam and answered his questions so politely, i almost did a double take haha

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 10:42 PM
bcrt2000

I think the most exciting thing about this team is they are playing with hunger without Avery in the lineup. That was something we seldom saw over the last few seasons.

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 10:48 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Are you trying to say that those two would play any different under Renney? Than you're incorrect. The kids play that way because they can, because they have skills, not just desire or coach's direction. Last season Torts tried to do the same with garbage Renney had to deal with and stopped.
I agree with others that answered your question. Case in point, look at the difference between Marc Staal this year and last year. He is much more offensive minded this year, so it is obvious Renney would not have let the reins loose on the youngsters.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 11:00 PM
94now

I do not appreciate thread name change.

I appreciate Henrick Lundqvist. Switch the goalies and we lose bad no matter how match yelling they had to hear.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 11:32 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

4 games into the season...

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 03:10 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

can i say, the fact that a thread that started as an attack on Torts' system is now a thread entitled as an appreciation thread is....strange to say the least.

With that said, Torts is one of my favorite coaches in the NHL....I rank him just behind me favorite coach...Brent Sutter. Guy is an amazing coach, with a great feel for the game, and doesnt coach based on your name or who you are, but by how well you play. and he doesnt coach a boring system. and he doesnt mind tearing you a new ******* if you screw up.

not much more else i want from a coach.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 04:12 AM
ohbaby

I agree. But he also tears new @holes to the sportscasters when interviewed, which leaves me questioning his ability to comunicate.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 07:04 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Finally, after all these years during which ice time was assigned largely by the names on the players' backs and the numbers on their paychecks, accountability has a meaning as far as the Rangers are concerned.

Last night, it meant that Michal Rozsival, a liability essentially every time he was on the ice, was benched for the final half of the match with coach John Tortorella cutting down to five defensemen for the final 31:13 of the Blueshirts' stirring 4-3 victory over the Caps.

"It's my job as a coach to look at the game and see who's going and who isn't," said Tortorella. "We shortened up on defense because the other guys were better."

Imagine. The head coach of the Rangers sitting a veteran -- and a veteran making $5 million, no less -- while following through on his pledge to give ice time to those who earn it.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...muTMlQGK3Sp2SI

Rozsival is making $6 million (actual salary) Brooksy.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 07:07 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

More from Brooks

Quote:
"What I like about the kids is that I don't think they're afraid," Tortorella said of Del Zotto and Gilroy. "They don't want to test the water, they want to make a difference.

"They make mistakes, yes, but they are mistakes of aggression. We want to be aggressive away from the puck as a team where we're not afraid to make mistakes."
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...muTMlQGK3Sp2SI

Old
10-09-2009, 07:08 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
"There were too many penalties, including two from our fourth line in the third period, but our penalty-killers did a hell of a job," Tortorella said. "Too many undisciplined penalties are going to bite you."
Quote:
On Monday in New Jersey, Tortorella used two forwards -- centers Drury and Brian Boyle -- and one defenseman to kill a two-man disadvantage. Last night, the coach used forwards Drury and Ryan Callahan in the first, and forwards Drury and Dubinsky in the second when down five-on-three. He used Drury and Dubinsky to kill a four-on-three.

Tortorella was asked if he uses two forwards, if not two centers, in order not to get caught in the faceoff circle in case one of his players is tossed.

" No," he said. "That might be an advantage if it comes to that, but it's our back end . . . I feel more comfortable with the forwards."
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...hcFKHBkPEiWSWK

Old
10-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Blueblood 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
I agree. But he also tears new @holes to the sportscasters when interviewed, which leaves me questioning his ability to comunicate.

I think he is communicating just fine. That is how to communicate with @holes. They understand clearly! Gilroy was fantastic last night!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:42 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

This game in the old era had letdown game, written all over it, then "protect the 3rd period lead".

Instead we dominated the game and came out firing and attacking in the 3rd to quickly put it away.

I love this team and system.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
This game in the old era had letdown game, written all over it, then "protect the 3rd period lead".

Instead we dominated the game and came out firing and attacking in the 3rd to quickly put it away.

Yup, almost any coach other than Torts would have us sit on the one goal lead and, at most, counterattack the first 10 minutes of the third period, then just dump the puck out of our end for the final 10 minutes. No way does the coach have the team score 4 goals in the period.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:49 PM
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post

Exactly. Even playing in my men's league hockey, you can't take a struggling opponent lightly because anything can happen to swing momentum. I love the "pedal to the metal" to put the game out of reach and send them packin.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:59 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I am loving Tortorella's influence.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 03:06 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

difference between last year and this year?

Rangers play to win. Not to avoid losing.

Add in to that a killer instinct, and some superb 3 periods thanks in large part to a hellacious camp, and welcome to the new era of Rangers hockey. Gaborik was a great acquisition, one ive been clamoring for for the better part of 2 years now. But, imho, bringing in Torts was the single biggest improvement we've done to this team since bringing in Jagr.

A masterstroke by Sather.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Blueblood 2

A masterstroke by Sather.

The stroke of a master. He learned that playing golf? Ha Ha. I think it had more to do with his love of cigars. Hire Vince Lombardi, then sit back and light up a fat one! The Vince Lombardi of hockey. That should rile up the haters! Life is good. LGR!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Kind of Blue

*cough*

First glaring mistake from Torts this season. Look, Vally is what he is, if he has a bad game once in a while, you've gotta just accept it... but there was absolutely no reason to play him tonight in the first place.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote