HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why did Hextall hate Chelios again?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-08-2004, 03:53 AM
  #1
I Hate You All*
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Vancouver
Country: Palau
Posts: 7,243
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to I Hate You All* Send a message via Yahoo to I Hate You All*
Why did Hextall hate Chelios again?

I was pretty young when they used to go at it and can't remember.

I Hate You All* is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 06:31 AM
  #2
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 43,663
vCash: 612
You don't need a reason to hate Chelios.

Jussi is online now  
Old
04-08-2004, 06:49 AM
  #3
Liquidrage*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tallahassee
Posts: 2,721
vCash: 500
Chelios elbowed Brian Propp, in Game 1 of series between the Canadian and Flyers, giving Propp a concussion.

Hextall had played against Chelios a lot already and apparently there was some history from their early days.

So Hextall jumped Chelios late in game 6 of the series.

Liquidrage* is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 07:04 AM
  #4
Ironchef Chris Wok*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Red Sox Nation
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 12,538
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Is there ANYBODY who doesn't have a history against Chelios?

Man I miss the Dino vs. Chelios and the Gilmour vs. Chelios days.

Ironchef Chris Wok* is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 07:07 AM
  #5
kmad
Riot Survivor
 
kmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,999
vCash: 500
my favorite one was Bertuzzi vs. Chelios

kmad is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 07:32 AM
  #6
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster
 
Motown Beatdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,554
vCash: 450
I think Chelios has about 22 friends in the NHL. And those are his teammates. If people aren;t hating Chelios, he is not playing his game.

As a Wings fan it took me about 2 years to cheer for the guy cause i hated him so much as a BlackHawk.

Motown Beatdown is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 07:34 AM
  #7
wendelissimo
Registered User
 
wendelissimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Oakville, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 184
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to wendelissimo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage
Chelios elbowed Brian Propp, in Game 1 of series between the Canadian and Flyers, giving Propp a concussion.
I remember that vividly, I've hated Chelios since that play.

wendelissimo is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 11:02 AM
  #8
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,491
vCash: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staze19
I was pretty young when they used to go at it and can't remember.
These quotes are from Jay Greenberg's "Full Spectrum" book on the Flyers:
Game One 1989 Semifinals:
"Propp tried to clear the puck from along the left-wing boards and took a vicious elbow from Chelios, who drove the Flyer's head into the glass. Propp was unconscious even before his skull took another hard bounce as it hit the ice. He lay motionless for three minutes, blood coming out of a cut in the back of his head, before being carried on a stretcher to the Forumk's infirmary."

Game Six 1989 Semifinals:
"When Chelios took the puck in offside during the final two minutes, the goalie raced out towards him. 'I'd been thinking about it for the last 10 or 15 seconds,' recalls Hextall. 'Obviously, I wasn't thinking too clearly.' Chelios saw the goalie coming at the last second but could not cover up in time to avoid being crowned by Hextall's blocker. A pileup ensued..."

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 11:08 AM
  #9
The Big P
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 145
vCash: 500
And people say that there is less respect in the NHL.

The Big P is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 11:13 AM
  #10
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
I think Chelios has about 22 friends in the NHL. And those are his teammates. If people aren;t hating Chelios, he is not playing his game.

As a Wings fan it took me about 2 years to cheer for the guy cause i hated him so much as a BlackHawk.
I wouldn't even go that far

Rattrick is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 12:12 PM
  #11
X8oD
Registered User
 
X8oD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: 612 Warf Ave.
Country: United States
Posts: 7,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
my favorite one was Bertuzzi vs. Chelios
mine too. Especially when Chelios only had to call Bertuzzi Fat to get him off his game. Bertuzzi may be able to hit harder than Chelios, but Chelios EASILY got under his skin, and Bertuzzi took a stupid Penalty a game. He was a non-factor by Game 4, 5 and 6.

X8oD is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 01:49 PM
  #12
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
I'm a Habs fan and as biased as anybody, but even I'm shocked that Hextall got 10 games for hitting Chelios with his blocker and Chelios got nothing for the elbow on Propp. That was as vicious an elbow as I have ever seen, and IMO worse than what Hextall did.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline  
Old
04-08-2004, 01:53 PM
  #13
felixd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,300
vCash: 500
I LOVE Chelios and he should still be a hab. The more I think about it, the more I think I will get Chelios on the back of my next hab jersey?

felixd is offline  
Old
04-10-2004, 04:26 AM
  #14
Phaze
Registered User
 
Phaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 979
vCash: 500
Anyone have a clip of the Hexstall whack job on Chelios?

Phaze is offline  
Old
04-10-2004, 05:12 AM
  #15
kmad
Riot Survivor
 
kmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee-Dub
Anyone have a clip of the Hexstall whack job on Chelios?
I'm also interested in this

kmad is offline  
Old
04-10-2004, 05:40 AM
  #16
golfmade
Go Preds Go
 
golfmade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Taiwan
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 19,460
vCash: 500
Someone once told me Chelios got in a fight with a zamboni driver, anyone know anything about it?

golfmade is offline  
Old
04-10-2004, 07:02 AM
  #17
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,183
vCash: 873
I think that Jay Greenberg is mistaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
These quotes are from Jay Greenberg's "Full Spectrum" book on the Flyers:
Game One 1989 Semifinals:
"Propp tried to clear the puck from along the left-wing boards and took a vicious elbow from Chelios, who drove the Flyer's head into the glass. Propp was unconscious even before his skull took another hard bounce as it hit the ice. He lay motionless for three minutes, blood coming out of a cut in the back of his head, before being carried on a stretcher to the Forumk's infirmary."

Game Six 1989 Semifinals:
"When Chelios took the puck in offside during the final two minutes, the goalie raced out towards him. 'I'd been thinking about it for the last 10 or 15 seconds,' recalls Hextall. 'Obviously, I wasn't thinking too clearly.' Chelios saw the goalie coming at the last second but could not cover up in time to avoid being crowned by Hextall's blocker. A pileup ensued..."

Because I think that Hextall actually chopped Chelios in the head with the goalie stick and not the blocker.

I could be wrong it's been so long but I could have sworn that it was a chop to the mellon with a stick.

pld459666 is offline  
Old
04-10-2004, 10:36 AM
  #18
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,491
vCash: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
Because I think that Hextall actually chopped Chelios in the head with the goalie stick and not the blocker.

I could be wrong it's been so long but I could have sworn that it was a chop to the mellon with a stick.
I have seen the tape and Hextall charged Chelios after the whistle blew with all equipment in hand but nothing vulgar involving the stick. After being separated and restrained by Gerard Gauthier, frustrated, Hextall then tossed his blocker in the direction of Chelios. For historical purposes, the Canadiens had a lineup of Smith-Chelios-Naslund-Ludwig-Keane on the ice while the Flyers had Howe-Ron Sutter-Samuelsson-Acton-Poulin. When Gauthier escorted Hextall to the bench, Patrick Roy taunted Hextall to return who tried but again Gauthier did a stellar job. At this point, fans tossed items onto the ice in the direction of Roy (Chelios was off the ice by this time). Lou Nolan, PA man, then scorned the fans: "Players on the ice will settle what needs to be settled. Keep things in the stands (or something to that effect)." Kjell Samuelsson jumped on top of Bobby Smith later in the skirmish. When the game was over some Canadiens refused to take part in the traditional handshake at center ice but, according to Mike Emrick, it appeared that coach Pat Burns told them to go back onto the ice and do so.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline  
Old
04-10-2004, 11:35 AM
  #19
Old Hickory
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade
Someone once told me Chelios got in a fight with a zamboni driver, anyone know anything about it?
I haven't heard that one. But he once got Luc Robitaille to fight him, that takes talent

 
Old
04-10-2004, 11:47 AM
  #20
IdiotsPickedMyName*
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
I'm also interested in this

Me too ive looked everywhere and cant find one. Maybe
http://www.broadstreetbully.com/
but i dont have amembership and dont want to buy one.

IdiotsPickedMyName* is offline  
Old
04-10-2004, 12:48 PM
  #21
paxtang
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 500
Bully does have that clip, but it is a pay website now.

paxtang is offline  
Old
04-10-2004, 12:52 PM
  #22
IdiotsPickedMyName*
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,720
vCash: 500
yeah all the good websites are going pay now it kinda sucks because you love having them and then all of a sudden they're ripped away from you

IdiotsPickedMyName* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.