HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Way to go Blackhawks...

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2004, 09:33 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Way to go Blackhawks...

Blackhawks not willing to let Tuomo Ruutu play at World Championships. According to assistant GM Dale Tallon:

Quote:
Do you foresee Tuomo Ruutu playing in the World Cup at the end of August?
There's always that possibility. He's not going to play in the World Championships in Prague, which are coming up here at the end of April. We feel that it's necessary for him to rehab his knees. He got through the season in fine form; he got better with each month, got stronger. Now is his chance to heal and rehab and get ready for next year. The World Cup? Who's to say? We're not going to stop him. But he's not going to play in the World Championships because we want to make sure his knees are 100 percent.
http://www.chicagoblackhawks.com/tea...cont_id=239323

Now the trouble with this is that according to the agreement the NHL and IIHF have, the clubs can't prevent players from playing at the Worlds. Heikki Hietanen, GM of the Finnish hockey federation said the following in today's Helsingin Sanomat: "The agreements we have with the NHL are clear in these cases and Ruutu must be allowed to play." He also said that he's never experienced such behaviour from an NHL club. "I see the knee rehabilitation as an excuse, since Ruutu is willing to come and play. In the conversations between Ruutu and the Finnish coaching staff, he has not mentioned any knee trouble."

Way to go Blackhawks, you sure know how to keep your players happy. :mad:

Old
04-08-2004, 09:35 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
The relationship between the Blackhawks and Tuomo Ruutu is destined to end badly, and that's going back to years of contract talks.

Old
04-08-2004, 10:40 AM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
The relationship between the Blackhawks and Tuomo Ruutu is destined to end badly, and that's going back to years of contract talks.
with bill wirtz in control, i wouldnt be surprised if any relationships that team is involved in ends badly. isnt ruutu also a bit of a hot head off the ice? not sure if i heard that somewhere

Old
04-08-2004, 10:46 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Zero
with bill wirtz in control, i wouldnt be surprised if any relationships that team is involved in ends badly. isnt ruutu also a bit of a hot head off the ice? not sure if i heard that somewhere
Hell he's a bit of a hothead ON the ice.

Old
04-08-2004, 10:46 AM
outKast*

stupid move. they should let tuomo play.

Old
04-08-2004, 10:53 AM
balddog66

You never know how relationships will happen...remember Mario wouldn't even put on the Penguins jersey when he was drafted, now he's making money selling them...

Old
04-08-2004, 10:55 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by balddog66
You never know how relationships will happen...remember Mario wouldn't even put on the Penguins jersey when he was drafted, now he's making money selling them...
The only reason Mario is now an owner of the Pens is because if he didn't take over ownership he was going to lose all the money the team owed him in deferred payments, due to the team filing for bankruptcy.

Old
04-08-2004, 11:39 AM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
The only reason Mario is now an owner of the Pens is because if he didn't take over ownership he was going to lose all the money the team owed him in deferred payments, due to the team filing for bankruptcy.
maybe someone can explain it to me better, but i thought filing for bankruptcy only shields you from creditors for 1 year?

Old
04-08-2004, 11:45 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Metamorphosis
maybe someone can explain it to me better, but i thought filing for bankruptcy only shields you from creditors for 1 year?
I don't know all of the details, but no filing for bankruptcy does more than just protect you from creditors for one year.

What often happens is that deals are made so that creditors often end up accepting pennies on the dollar for what they are owed, to make sure that that at least get something.

For example if Mario was owed somehthing in the neighborhood of $20 million by the franchise, he may have ended up with $2 million or so.

Old
04-08-2004, 01:34 PM
XX
... Waiting

How can the Blackhawks survive?

Wirtz must be losing money, and no player in the right mind would want to play for that management group. Sutter is their only saving grace IMO

He blacks out home games for gods sake, how can the NHL let this stuff fly?

Old
04-08-2004, 01:45 PM
fullmetalninja

The fact that you think Sutter is the "only thing going" for the blackhawks is ridiculous and shows how much you know about the hawks.

I see both sides to this. First of all, Tallon said that the World Cup was completely up to Tuomo- that the hawks just didn't want him to play in April. Ruutu just played 82 games- which is what, double or triple the amount he has ever played in a year?

He has a bad shoulder right now, much worse than most people let on(and the reason that he threw no hits after the colorado game). I'm guessing after never having a true offseason, Tallon wants to let him rest up for a couple of months.

I do feel for Finns, as I think its not fair to them. But guys/gals- don't you want a Tuomo Ruutu at 100% come world cup time? I mean, I know I would...

As far as Tuomo being a hothead- thats not even close to being true. On or off the ice. He plays the game hard, and smiles from ear to ear as soon as the buzzer sounds. Does he think he's "good"... Don't know, haven't spent a ton of time with him or anything..... but what pro athelete doesnt? And Tuomo *should* think he is good- because he is!

[/reality dose]

-fullmetalninja

Old
04-08-2004, 01:48 PM
BruinsGirl

Only fans can help themselves....Have you seen Fleet Center this year(and last)..It looked very empty to me.

We've never seen Jacobs in the Fleet during the game etc. Now he is everywhere giving interviews..even trying to improve team. He also promised that tix prices won't go up.

Everybody kept laughing at our support but we WERE glued to our TVs at home...just didn't want to make Jacobs richer without spending on the team.

We'll see what happens this summer though.

Old
04-08-2004, 03:12 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Anyways would he had made the team ?

Old
04-08-2004, 03:24 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Quote:
actually, when the team was going to be sold, part of the revenues from the sale were going directly to Mario along with anyone else who was owed money. he CHOSE to used the money owed to him to buy the team. he was getting his money either way.

Last edited by The Tang: 04-08-2004 at 04:48 PM.
Old
04-08-2004, 03:30 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Then why doesn't he sell the team already, and cash in?

That may have been one of the reasons he bought them, but he also wants to keep them in Pittsburgh.

Quote:
he was getting his mother either way.

Old
04-08-2004, 03:33 PM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Zero
he was getting his mother either way.
Hmm, Freudian slip much?

Old
04-08-2004, 04:38 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Then why doesn't he sell the team already, and cash in?
Noone would want to touch that franchise with a 100 foot pole.

Old
04-08-2004, 04:49 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2

don;t know what happened there. anyways, its fixed (as it was supposed to be money).

didn't make too much an ass out of myself

Old
04-08-2004, 04:50 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
then why were there about 4 prospective buyers who put bids in?

Old
04-08-2004, 04:51 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
wow aren't you an ignorant elitist. you don't think paul allen wants to buy this franchise and move it to portland?

Old
04-08-2004, 05:02 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
wow aren't you an ignorant elitist. you don't think paul allen wants to buy this franchise and move it to portland?
I believe that Paul Allen was quoted as saying that he makes investments based on the business model, and he's not interested in a NHL franchise at this point in time.

Bottom line: Both the Sabres & Sens were basically given away. The new owners acquired the team + building for a fraction of what the "market value" of the assets were.

I think that until the Pens get a decent building, and the NHL gets the CBA straightened away that Mario would not be able to find a buyer for the franchise. Nothing against ML or the Pens, it's just not a very good situation in PITT right now.

Old
04-08-2004, 05:08 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Tell that to all those people wanting to move them to Winnipeg or Portland.

Old
04-08-2004, 05:34 PM
psycho_dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Anyways would he had made the team ?

He would have and he will. I think the hawks are just testing Finns and seeing if they could have gotten away with it, but since Ruutu wants to play and Hawks have to let him, there should be no case here. They just checked if Finland would mind, now that they mind, things change.

Idiot move from hawks though. Ruutu could be their big thing for next 10 years, or he could be out of there right when the contract ends if this disrespecting does not end. Finns are patriotic, have some respect for that.

Old
04-08-2004, 06:33 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
no buyer with the intention of moving the team will be allowed to buy it. Nobody would buy the team and keep it in Pittsburgh. Hergo, nobody in their right mind will touch the team.

Old
04-08-2004, 11:37 PM
Jacob

Why wouldn't they be allowed to buy it?

Because Lemieux wants to keep them in Pittsburgh, right? Right??

Closed Thread