HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staubitz suspended 1 game for hit on Drewiske

Old
10-08-2009, 02:33 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

vCash: 500
Staubitz suspended 1 game for hit on Drewiske

http://lakingsinsider.com/?p=240

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Shellz

gotcha

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Shellz

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=501505

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Suck it Staubitz!

Bad Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 02:41 PM
TonySCV
Push to the 8th Tee

Good... that was a dirty hit.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 02:50 PM
not tellin*

that's a bit surprising to me. it wasn't really suspension worthy IMO, but i guess 1 game is 1 game.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 02:55 PM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
and it gave ivanans a reason to jack shelly up

KingsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 03:01 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

something to consider:

Quote:
The NHL cited "excessive physical contact on an icing play" as the reason for the suspension, which is the new euphemism for "dirty sissy hit."

This suspension does not effect the Kings at all, but one has to wonder if the fuss Ivanans made after the play did not help to make the NHL take note of the hit to the head that easily could have had Drewiske eating through a straw if he were a weaker man.
http://www.lakingsnews.com

Its a bit of a stretch, but in the past, when the Kings did not retaliate or seem to care, it seemed the NHL would not either.

Does Staubitz get the suspension if no one on the Kings responds and its just a minor penalty without any extra emotion added by the Kings?

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 03:07 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
something to consider:

http://www.lakingsnews.com

Its a bit of a stretch, but in the past, when the Kings did not retaliate or seem to care, it seemed the NHL would not either.

Does Staubitz get the suspension if no one on the Kings responds and its just a minor penalty without any extra emotion added by the Kings?
it sounds like he gets the suspension almost entirely because of the icing call. without the icing call, then certainly no suspension, but with it, he probably could have hit drewiske less than he did and still gotten a suspension.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 03:10 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
it sounds like he gets the suspension almost entirely because of the icing call. without the icing call, then certainly no suspension, but with it, he probably could have hit drewiske less than he did and still gotten a suspension.
The NHL has seemed a little wishy washy on the no hit icing rule. I don't think it has been called consistently, perhaps because it is such a new rule.

Icing or not, I think the hit was still dirty. It was charging either way, and definately an unnecessary hit to the head.

Old
10-08-2009, 03:18 PM
onlyalad

I thought it was a bit late, but not really dirty. I have seen worse not even called.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

I'm glad he got suspended, but how does he get suspended for that hit and Darcy Hordichuk DOESN'T get suspended for his hit the other night on Boll?

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 03:30 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
I'm glad he got suspended, but how does he get suspended for that hit and Darcy Hordichuk NOT get suspended for his hit the other night on Boll?
I didn't see the hit on Boll. Similar situation?

To me, its not the icing, its not how bad the hit was, it was that Staubitz was a second man in, basically blindsiding a player who was already being checked.

Old
10-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Brad Doty
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I didn't see the hit on Boll. Similar situation?

To me, its not the icing, its not how bad the hit was, it was that Staubitz was a second man in, basically blindsiding a player who was already being checked.
I think this is a key point as well; sometimes hits that aren't necessarily dirty in and of themselves become dirty plays when the player is already tied up with another. Can you imagine what it would be like if you could pin a dude and have another guy run and blast him?

I think that, the icing call, and the follow through all play into this. AND the Kings reaction. AND...the fact that it was Staubitz and not oh, Malkin.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

It's a combination of 3 things: the hit occurred on a delayed icing, Drewiske never touched the puck, and it was a hit to the head (though with a tucked elbow).

Staubitz made a stupid hit on a delayed icing. There are 5 scenarios that can play out, and the only scenario that could have made it a legal hit clearly didn't happen.

1) Neither player touches the puck. Drewiske doesn't touch the puck so he's not fair game. This is what happened.
2) Only Drewiske touches the puck. Would be icing and a hit after the whistle.
3) Drewiske gets the puck and then the Shark touches the puck. Would be icing and a hit after the whistle.
4) Only the Shark touches the puck. Drewiske wouldn't have touched the puck so he wouldn't be fair game.
5) The Shark gets the puck and then Drewiske touches the puck. This is the only scenario where Drewiske would have been fair game. Clearly didn't happen.

Because it was a hit to the head on a player that wasn't fair game, Staubitz gets suspended. Because there was no injury and Staubitz had his elbow tucked, he only gets one game.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
I'm glad he got suspended, but how does he get suspended for that hit and Darcy Hordichuk DOESN'T get suspended for his hit the other night on Boll?
The league noticed and gave Darcy a fine.....at least.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=294118

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 07:00 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
I think this is a key point as well; sometimes hits that aren't necessarily dirty in and of themselves become dirty plays when the player is already tied up with another. Can you imagine what it would be like if you could pin a dude and have another guy run and blast him?

I think that, the icing call, and the follow through all play into this. AND the Kings reaction. AND...the fact that it was Staubitz and not oh, Malkin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
It's a combination of 3 things: the hit occurred on a delayed icing, Drewiske never touched the puck, and it was a hit to the head (though with a tucked elbow).

Staubitz made a stupid hit on a delayed icing. There are 5 scenarios that can play out, and the only scenario that could have made it a legal hit clearly didn't happen.

1) Neither player touches the puck. Drewiske doesn't touch the puck so he's not fair game. This is what happened.
2) Only Drewiske touches the puck. Would be icing and a hit after the whistle.
3) Drewiske gets the puck and then the Shark touches the puck. Would be icing and a hit after the whistle.
4) Only the Shark touches the puck. Drewiske wouldn't have touched the puck so he wouldn't be fair game.
5) The Shark gets the puck and then Drewiske touches the puck. This is the only scenario where Drewiske would have been fair game. Clearly didn't happen.

Because it was a hit to the head on a player that wasn't fair game, Staubitz gets suspended. Because there was no injury and Staubitz had his elbow tucked, he only gets one game.
Its a dirty hit or at minimum, a penalized one because the Player was hit from behind against the boards, had no ability to protect himself, and because, now, based on the rule, on an icing play, the play to be made is supposed to be on the puck and not the player.

Finally the NHL suspends a player for hitting a KING. Will wonders never cease?

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Its a dirty hit or at minimum, a penalized one because the Player was hit from behind against the boards, had no ability to protect himself, and because, now, based on the rule, on an icing play, the play to be made is supposed to be on the puck and not the player.
The hit was clearly not from behind. Staubitz hit Drewiske from the front and Drewiske's back hit the boards.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 07:22 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

I stand corrected, but the player was clearly in a position where he couldn't protect himself on an icing play where contact is not to be made with the player. Also, as Staubitz comes in Drewiske is facing the boards and gets turned around , toward staubitz at the last second. But he is still in a position where he cant protect himself and again the play to be made on an icing call is the puck and not the player.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
The Boll hit:

Better angle:

They are vaguely similar. Boll was spun around on the board and hordichuk came up for a second check right into his head and pushed him down to the ice. Boll got a mild concussion I believe. I think the penalties should have been similar.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Scottkmlps

Staubitz made no attempt to play the puck. He went right for the man even though it was icing.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 10:38 PM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post

Finally the NHL suspends a player for hitting a KING. Will wonders never cease?
Is this the first time since that Edmonton record breaking (at the time) brawl a few years back that someone was suspended for his actions against a King???

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 02:18 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Good... that was a dirty hit.
In the media room at Staples Center after this game, we were talking about Staubitz' elbow to Drewiske's head. One guy asked why Ivanans went after Shelley. I immediately jumped in...

"Because Staubitz ran to the bench. Didn't you see that trail of yellow he left on the ice?"

There was serious laughter. I was pleased. :-)

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 03:21 AM
markisonfire

Staubitz is a b*tch, plain and simple. Kind of feel bad for Shelley, he got his ass beat because Staubitz is a ******, but at the same time, Shelley was the one that grabbed Ivanans and threw a few punches before Ivanans knew what was going on. But oh my, Ivanans is a scary, badass mother*****er, wow.

This is when fights in hockey are a good idea. When Ivanans fights like that, or anyone really, jumping to the aid of a teammate. The "staged" hugfests that so-called brawlers engage in right off a face off are stupid. This is when fighting really means something. It's just too bad Staubitz didn't get his face smashed in by Ivanans' fists.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote