HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kopitar is Intense

Old
10-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Jwm1986

vCash: 500
Kopitar is Intense

I think that Kopitar has some of the best pure skill in the entire NHL. In fact, i would say his 1 on 1 abilities would put him in the top 5 of everyone...he really has something special.

However, i think the thing that has set him apart from the other great skilled players (Malkin, Ovechkin, Kovy, ect) is the lack of intensity he shows....When you see Ovechkin with the puck, he just wants it more then everyone else....this is something that i havent seen with Kopitar the past few years

BUT......the first few games seems to me that his intensity has risen dramatically....hes creating plays for himself at a much higher rate then it seemed before.....he was 2 bad bounces away last night from having a hat trick and everytime i saw him 1 on 1 with the puck...i thought he would score...this is something i didnt feel last year....in my opinion, this is the aspect of his game i felt would need to be massively improved in order for him to become an elite player.

Anyone else agree with me?

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I have noticed him showing more emotion lately, it is nice to see.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

I still have yet to see the "eye of the tiger" from him. That's what I really want.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 05:19 PM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
yea i wanna see the thrill of the fight too

KingsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 05:19 PM
silverstick

Kopitar FTW!!!, ya this guy looks soooooo much better this year than last year. when he has the puck he oozes confidence, and we didnt see that from him last year. He'll get 100 oints this year. theres no reason while he shouldnt if he keeps this up

silverstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Defgarden

He's definitely been playing with the passion he showed in his first season here (and more). I think playing with Smyth has really helped his game tremendously. One thing I've noticed last season on the PP, he would set up at the boards, look for an open guy, and pretty much just stay in that same spot, and nobody would be around the net. Now, he'll do the same thing, but he's got Smyth there showing people how to crash the net properly, and Kopitar is more apt to jump in, not only to bang in loose pucks but to make the smart plays and passes.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Jwm1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
I still have yet to see the "eye of the tiger" from him. That's what I really want.
I agree that he has yet to show that "desire" needed to be the best, but i do feel that something is different...

I have learned that confidence is very important for him....You could hear it in his voice how relieved he was to get that first goal out of the way in the first game....i really think that confidence showed last night and look at the result...another great game....if this keeps building...i think that by mid season, we might see that "eye of the tiger"you speak about...at least i hope " "

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwm1986 View Post
I agree that he has yet to show that "desire" needed to be the best, but i do feel that something is different...

I have learned that confidence is very important for him....You could hear it in his voice how relieved he was to get that first goal out of the way in the first game....i really think that confidence showed last night and look at the result...another great game....if this keeps building...i think that by mid season, we might see that "eye of the tiger"you speak about...at least i hope " "
Hopefully as the games get more important, and Kopi has something to play for...

Old
10-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
He's in mid-season form already. Lombardi got through to him and it's fun to watch.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 05:39 PM
sweatypickle

he's still a passenger...

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 05:44 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

I said from day one that Kopitar is the most talented player to wear a Kings' jersey since the Great One. Given the proper development, he will be a top five center in the league at his prime.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 06:30 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
I think he is the type of player who is going to remain calm in alot of situations.

He may not have that "eye of the tiger" intensity look, but his play translates well in all situations.

He shows his intensity more after a shift than he does during actual gameplay.

I loved his reaction to his goal the other night in Phoenix...I also recall a moment last year where he had a bad PP shift and swung his stick at the glass next to the Kings bench. The glass broke, and he received a 10-minute misconduct.

O'Sullivan was pretty intense on the ice and had that "look", but I also think it resulted in him gripping his stick too tight and flubbing alot of chances.

Kopi makes it look easy. He slows the game down for himself and everyone else and I am fine with that. He doesn't have the physicality of a Malkin or Ovy...but other good players like Getzlaf, Thornton, or Datsyuk played with that same relaxed calm at any times. It doesn't mean the fire isn't burning inside them...except for maybe Thornton

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 06:52 PM
JT8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
I said from day one that Kopitar is the most talented player to wear a Kings' jersey since the Great One. Given the proper development, he will be a top five center in the league at his prime.
Sorry that belongs to Palffy, Kopi hasnt got the skill Palffy had yet.

JT8888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
You will never see the "eye of the tiger" from Kopitar its not in his makeup. He's California laid back like Frolov both very good players but they will never get their (Baseball Term) uniform dirty.

Pucknut50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 07:07 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
You will never see the "eye of the tiger" from Kopitar its not in his makeup. He's California laid back like Frolov both very good players but they will never get their (Baseball Term) uniform dirty.
There are some very good players who never showed all that much emotion. Some call them cold or uncaring but some call them cerebral assassins...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 07:21 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Maybe Dean-O will talk crap about him not scoring 200pts next off-season.

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 07:27 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
I think he's been *much* more physical this season, actually. Most of Kopi's one-on-one moves involve him absorbing a bit of contact to slide past an opponent to gain body position and shield the puck. I think the play before the empty-netter the other night was a good example, and I don't know if we would have seen that last season. I think it's attributable to a number of things, like Smyth's influence, strength/conditioning, and confidence, but I hope he's consistent throughout the whole year.

He'll never be a banger or use his size to punish people, so some may be barking up the wrong tree that way. I also don't think we'll ever see the nasty streak or chippy play of Crosby, Malkin, Getzlaf.

Last edited by Brad Doty: 10-07-2009 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Definitions
Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Which is why drafting Schenn was a good idea.

Old
10-07-2009, 07:40 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
i agree.

Quote:
Which is why drafting Schenn was a good idea.
i agree.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
i agree.

i agree.

Loktionov says hello.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 07:45 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
Somewhat, but let's hope that the Smyth deal pays dividends long after Smyth is no longer in a Kings uniform.

I think the guy is learning. I think the guy wants to learn. I don't think he is ever going to be nasty to play against, but 99 never was either. I'm not saying Kopi has that level of skill, but a team can get its snarl from sources other than the #1/#2 center.

Guys like Schenn and Simmonds may be the key to this franchise down the road in terms of grit and skill up front.

Not sure how gritty Loktionov will be, but the skill part is definitely there.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 08:13 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

The Kopitar of the last 3 years does NOT beat Vlasic to that puck on the icing. That's a play that was all about extra effort and "compete." He's finally showing signs that he's willing to dig deep. Thank god for Ryan Smyth.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 08:27 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
The Kopitar of the last 3 years does NOT beat Vlasic to that puck on the icing. That's a play that was all about extra effort and "compete." He's finally showing signs that he's willing to dig deep. Thank god for Ryan Smyth.
That play was one last night that made me realize this year's Kopitar is different. More strength, better conditioning, more determination... whatever it is, it's a visual improvement.

- T

TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 08:30 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstick View Post
Kopitar FTW!!!, ya this guy looks soooooo much better this year than last year. when he has the puck he oozes confidence, and we didnt see that from him last year. He'll get 100 oints this year. theres no reason while he shouldnt if he keeps this up
Your going to be disappointed if you think hes actually going to hit 100 points this year

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 08:36 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
Your going to be disappointed if you think hes actually going to hit 100 points this year
I'm feeling 83.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote