HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mason Raymond appreciation thread

Old
10-09-2009, 02:14 AM
canucks1982

vCash: 500
lets not get carry away. Raymond still has only 1 goal in 4 games but you guys are right. he is lot better than last year, he is getting chances and now he has start finnishing those chances. That being said, I still he will get about 20 to 25 goals. I don't think he will hit 30. he doesn't get any powerplay time

little off topic but Grabner and hodgson didn't make the team and shirokov got sent down. do people still want demitra gone. didn't a month ago, most of guys were saying those guy could replace his productions. you guys were all wrong

I guess when Demitra is back we could have 3 scoring lines

sedin sedin Burrows
Raymond kesler Sam
Demitra Wellwod Bernier

does anybody want Demitra and Raymond together. they showed so much chemistry last preseason but the first few games last year. they didn't click and never played with each again

canucks1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 02:35 AM
MS

He is showing that he has what it takes to be a 40-point high-end 3rd line player.

I still don't think he has 60-point 2nd line upside, and never have.

But he's going to be a very useful player for this club. The turning point was last spring when he realized that his ticket to success in this league was adding an element of jam and defensive play to his speed game.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 02:44 AM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks1982 View Post
lets not get carry away. Raymond still has only 1 goal in 4 games but you guys are right. he is lot better than last year, he is getting chances and now he has start finnishing those chances. That being said, I still he will get about 20 to 25 goals. I don't think he will hit 30. he doesn't get any powerplay time

little off topic but Grabner and hodgson didn't make the team and shirokov got sent down. do people still want demitra gone. didn't a month ago, most of guys were saying those guy could replace his productions. you guys were all wrong

sedin sedin Burrows
Raymond kesler Sam
Demitra Wellwod Bernier

does anybody want Demitra and Raymond together. they showed so much chemistry last preseason but the first few games last year. they didn't click and never played with each again
The Canucks will definately have options when Demitra comes back, for sure. It'll be interesting to see who gets more priority in the top 6: Demitra or Samuelsson (assuming Raymond continues to look good with Kesler and therefor remains a lock on the 2nd line).

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 03:08 AM
canucks1982

there no questions mark on defence and in goal. the top 9 does look good on paper

we know what expect from the twins, kesler and burrows have to continue where they left off last year. Raymond/wellwood/bernier haveto continue to improve and provide the secondary scoring. Sam has to prodcue without star players like what he had in det. Also Demitra have to score around 50 to 60 points range like he did last season and not start to decline

If everything goes well. the top 9 should have no problems at all but I think the canucks need a 4th liner/pk type of player to replace hordichuk when the playoff comes. Hordichuk should not play in the playoff

canucks1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 04:07 AM
hackey
Oh Did I Offend You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britton View Post
This has nothing to do with his point totals. It's the way he's been playing since the playoff's last year. His game has taken a totally different turn, he's been physical, he's been a pest, and he's going to the net. It's like a light went on and suddenly he realised what he has to do if he wants to be successful.
Sure, he is one of the key cogs in this lineup that has to play better, and be more consistent.
And yes, he did play better at the end of the year... but getting 7 points in 42 games during that span,
just does not cut it... not good enough.

If he could consistently keep up how he's been playing lately, for the entire year... then yes, there may be
something there, but for now, no... he hasn't earned it yet.

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks1982 View Post

sedin sedin Burrows
Raymond kesler Sam
Demitra Wellwod Bernier

I think the idea was that we hoped ONE of Raymond, Grabner, Wellwood, Hansen, or Hodgson would impress enough to make it into our top 6 this year; next year when Demitra is gone it would be nice to have a cheap replacement so that we can spend his 4 mil on other things. Raymond hopefully will be that guy; even if he gets around 20-20 this year (I know, asking a lot) it will suggest he may be able to continue that next year if they get a legit center for the 2nd line and move Kesler to RW again.

Now, on topic! Raymond has been my fav Canuck since he came into the league. I was really excited when we drafted this kid and I'd bet I was likely once of the first people in this city to buy a Raymond jersey haha (my only jersey).

Anyways, he has been playing well and if he managed 20 goals I'd be thrilled (I bet my friend 50$ he would, heh). Raymond has always taken a lot of critiscism. I've always figured he'd come around and I could easily see him being a 30 goal scorer when he's around the Sedins age especially if he is surrounded by skilled line mates and given better opportunities. Plus, his 2 way game has evolved drastically.

One thing Raymond needs to improve on is his passing. I like seeing him shoot as much as he does, but it's important that he develops that part of his game if he's to be thought of as a true top 6 threat.

On topic:

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Cocoa Crisp

It looks encouraging so far, I'll admit. But he also had a fast start last year and fizzled. While last year's offensive outburst looked more fluky and this year's more solid, I'd like to see him maintain that for longer stretches before passing judgement.

If he can keep this up all year (I think, unlikely), he might get 35-40 points.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 12:29 PM
IslandJet

The worst thing we can do is give up on Raymond. You can't learn speed (see Hodgson) but, given time, you can definitely learn to play NHL level hockey.

IslandJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:39 AM
Derp Kassian

Jeez was the Raymond hate this far back? Bump!

Derp Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:26 PM
Wolfhard

He's showed us 6-10 great games before, but always regressed again. Fingers crossed that he actually gets it, and continues playing the way he has been. It's no secret what he has to do to be effective, but it's just not that easy for him to do it. Keep it up Raymond, and you will continue to be rewarded!

Wolfhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 1300
Hopefully with his back injury behind him he can continue to produce like he has.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:42 PM
adamzilla

The talent has always been there, the head needs to catch up.

Maybe it has?

adamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:18 PM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamzilla View Post
The talent has always been there, the head needs to catch up.

Maybe it has?
He's looking good so far. It's quite clear to me that him and Kesler should never ever be on a line together. Raymond needs a good passer like Schroeder to work with. Really happy for him and I hope he keeps it up.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:25 PM
AmazingNuck

With Kesler being out, somebody needed to step up and provide secondary offense. Kassian and Raymond have done so. I think Kesler being out benefits the both of them- and Schroeder as well. The three are talented players, but all of their minutes would go to Kesler (and deservingly so) if Kesler was healthy. I'm glad that the three are getting developmental time, and if they prove to be consistent, they can take a buttload of pressure off of Kesler, and allow Kesler to play less minutes + be fresher for the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bert0 Lu0ng0 View Post
All I can say is that AV playing him on the fourth line and even having the nerve to scratch him as obviously ruined Mason Raymond as an NHL player.
lol what

No, Raymond should credit Vigneault with the bulk of his success. Vigneault is the coach that played him in offensive roles consistently despite Raymond sucking hard. Raymond worked hard in the off-season and looks to be over his injury, and Vigneault is rewarding him with playing time.

Raymond deserved to be where he was at last year. Now, he deserves to be where he's at this year.

The thing about criticism is that no matter how good Raymond plays this year, his play won't excuse his play from last year. He was injured, and his good play maybe earns him a better contract, but he is far from consistent. Hopefully he and Schroeder work well enough together to provide enough secondary scoring for the team.

-____- didn't even know this was from 2009. He did break out that year, but regressed hard when Kesler was promoted to top powerplay unit.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:29 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
He's looking good so far. It's quite clear to me that him and Kesler should never ever be on a line together. Raymond needs a good passer like Schroeder to work with. Really happy for him and I hope he keeps it up.
I also think it's a huge red flag that AV has no idea what makes certain players work when he's had them on the team for years. How he then put Booth with them for so long last year as well is laughable.

Great start for Raymond though, with Schroeder deserving his side of appreciation.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:54 PM
ProstheticConscience
Yes or no, Lester?

My theory is that somehow Schroeder affects the Earth's magnetic field in a way that causes the semicircular canals in Raymond's inner ears to align more correctly and allow him to retain his balance, remaining upright in situations that would have caused him to flail helplessly face-down on the ice last season.

But definitely a great start for MayRay. Starting to think he might be on his way back to where he was in his development curve before the injury bug chewed him up. Go Raymond!

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:05 PM
HAMMY5

I know this is the May Ray appreciation thread.. but How about that sick pass from Schroeder!

I hope these two get to continue playing togather!

HAMMY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

I am quite happy to see Raymond off to a fast start so the multitudes of haters can shut up for a few games.

Raymond is what is he is, an ultra speedy 2nd/3rd line bubble guy who is excellent on the PK, responsible defensively and causes all kinds of neutral zone turnovers with his speed and positioning on the backcheck. He's OK on the powerplay as long as he is not expected to be a catalyst. He is quite a valuable commodity when he is on his game.

To me last season should be written off to the spinal injury. My guess though is that this is his last season in a Canucks jersey. He'll get a better payday somewhere else.

Waveburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:20 PM
SniggidySnipes

I keep waiting for him to fall on his ass, he seems to have improved that aspect of his game

SniggidySnipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:23 PM
yoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
No doubt! 2009, come on.

Mason Raymond, I appreciate you, and wish you continued success. p.s. i think you take way too much abuse from this fan base that isn't warranted. Love that first goal against the Ducks last night.

Keep it up!

yoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:53 PM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
No. I think it either started around the 2010 Playoffs where he virtually disappeared or early in the 2010-11 season when he wasn't playing as well as he did the year before.

Reverend Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:55 PM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniggidySnipes View Post
I keep waiting for him to fall on his ass, he seems to have improved that aspect of his game
For all the flak he takes for that, he is/was just coming off a near career-ending injury to his back because he refused to fall on his ass.

Reverend Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:16 PM
SniggidySnipes

If he wasnt ready to play he shouldnt have been playing.... Other people in the league have had back injuries, falling on their ass is something i dont recall being a common problem upon return...

SniggidySnipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:27 PM
TLinden16
Horse

vCash: 545
Is it bad I kind of miss the Demitra-Wellwood-Bernier line?

TLinden16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:47 PM
var

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...NPAg7kgw#t=91s

Fantastic hands on that play!

Talk about doing a great job buckling down and working after been given no ice time last year. Love that he's getting good looks at the net and making his chances count. A large percentage of players don't score this goal.

var is offline   Reply With Quote