HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

All-Time Draft #12, Part III

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Dreakmur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jareklajkosz View Post
Not really. Duff was better offensively. Whereas Duff seems to barely be a first liner, Walker has no business on a first line at all.
Walker is better offensively.

Old
10-09-2009, 12:11 AM
jarek

Sooo.. this 24 hour rule thing is starting to get a little annoying. Nothing against LF, he tried hard to get a deal done long before this pick, but still. You all can send your lists my way, I'm going to check the draft at about 7 in the morning to see what has happened. If LF's pick has been dealt with by then, I can post as many picks as I've been sent at that point. Until then, good night.

Old
10-09-2009, 12:12 AM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Walker is better offensively.
Not really. Did you forget to do the splinter league factor?

Old
10-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Not really. Did you forget to do the splinter league factor?
Even so, he's got 2 top-10s and 6 top-20s.

Old
10-09-2009, 12:17 AM
TheDevilMadeMe

Quote:
Sooo.. this 24 hour rule thing is starting to get a little annoying. Nothing against LF, he tried hard to get a deal done long before this pick, but still. You all can send your lists my way, I'm going to check the draft at about 7 in the morning to see what has happened. If LF's pick has been dealt with by then, I can post as many picks as I've been sent at that point. Until then, good night.
Yeah, by the letter of the rule, the trade is void since LF's pick came up before the 24 hours were up. At least that's what happened before.

But then, he can just pick who MadArcand wants and have the exact same effect.

Now I guess we wait until 7am for a pick?

Good job with all the picks tonight, though. Maybe I'll be able to pick again before the weekend is over.

Old
10-09-2009, 12:19 AM
TheDevilMadeMe

Quote:
Even so, he's got 2 top-10s and 6 top-20s.
Top 20 in a splintered league is pretty unimpressive, especially at a time when guys played the whole game (for at least part of Walker's career, they did).

7 retro Selkes on the other hand is quite nice. (Even if I question the ability to retroactively award something like the Selke).

Old
10-09-2009, 12:22 AM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Yeah, by the letter of the rule, the trade is void since LF's pick came up before the 24 hours were up. At least that's what happened before.

But then, he can just pick who MadArcand wants and have the exact same effect.

Now I guess we wait until 7am for a pick?

Good job with all the picks tonight, though. Maybe I'll be able to pick again before the weekend is over.
The trade probably should be voided. Wasn't it last time? This 24 hour rule really restricts trading, because generally you're not gonna know if you want to trade up or down until 20-30 picks before yours or so. Then another 10-15 picks before you can finally figure out a deal, and then something like this happens.. a run of picks just after you settle your trade.

Anyways, like I said, you guys can send your lists my way. I'll check this thing by 7 AM.

Old
10-09-2009, 12:27 AM
jarek

And for the record, I am personally partial to a commissioner veto rule for trades. It's quick and easy. Obviously in this case it won't work because GBC would have a vested interest in any trade that happens due to his being a GM, but in the future, we could find a party that is not a GM in the ATD that would be willing to act as a trade supervisor, someone that the majority of the GMs trust to fulfill this position.

Old
10-09-2009, 12:31 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
And for the record, I am personally partial to a commissioner veto rule for trades. It's quick and easy. Obviously in this case it won't work because GBC would have a vested interest in any trade that happens due to his being a GM, but in the future, we could find a party that is not a GM in the ATD that would be willing to act as a trade supervisor, someone that the majority of the GMs trust to fulfill this position.
And even then, I wouldn't mind a GM of the draft being a commish for trades. At the end it's only a fun draft.

Old
10-09-2009, 12:39 AM
TheDevilMadeMe

Quote:
The trade probably should be voided. Wasn't it last time? This 24 hour rule really restricts trading, because generally you're not gonna know if you want to trade up or down until 20-30 picks before yours or so. Then another 10-15 picks before you can finally figure out a deal, and then something like this happens.. a run of picks just after you settle your trade.

Anyways, like I said, you guys can send your lists my way. I'll check this thing by 7 AM.
Yeah, this is exactly what happened last time (I know, I was involved), and it was voided. I'd say LF should just pick whoever MadArcand wants. But then it really slows down the draft, and I think one of the points of restricting trades was to speed up the draft, so in that way the 24 hour rule is counterproductive.

Old
10-09-2009, 12:40 AM
TheDevilMadeMe

Quote:
Problem is - who is going to want to sit around continually monitering the draft if they don't have a team in it?

Old
10-09-2009, 12:51 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Problem is - who is going to want to sit around continually monitering the draft if they don't have a team in it?
I could easily name you a dozen GM's I would trust doing this job, even if they had a team in the draft.

Old
10-09-2009, 12:57 AM
God Bless Canada

Technically, it is LF's pick. It's his pick until 7:45 a.m. EST. And if the time elapses on his pick, then it's skipped. The 24 hours doesn't elapse until after 2 p.m. EST tomorrow. He should have announced the pick, and then it would be part of the deal.

I have minimal use for trades in the ATD. It has consistently done nothing except waste time. And tonight, it has certainly done that. We've missed the boat on what could have been a heck of a run. This system doesn't work. I could tell from the outset that it wouldn't work. The previous system didn't work.

I think the best system is to have what we had in MLD 11: trades are allowed, but once your pick is up, you can't trade. And I like the suggestion that there be six hours for objections, instead of this wasteful, chincey 24-hour period.

Old
10-09-2009, 01:06 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Top 20 in a splintered league is pretty unimpressive, especially at a time when guys played the whole game (for at least part of Walker's career, they did).

7 retro Selkes on the other hand is quite nice. (Even if I question the ability to retroactively award something like the Selke).
- I'm not sure what players playing the whole game has to do with anything.

- I'm pretty sure when dreakmur says "two top-10s and 6 top-20s" he is referring to a combined league, so two top-5s and 6 top-10s within his own.

Old
10-09-2009, 01:08 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
He's got 2 top-5s and 6 top-10s in PCHA....

Old
10-09-2009, 01:11 AM
TheDevilMadeMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
- I'm not sure what players playing the whole game has to do with anything.

- I'm pretty sure when dreakmur says "two top-10s and 6 top-20s" he is referring to a combined league, so two top-5s and 6 top-10s within his own.
If that's the case, it's definitely something more.

A six team league where every forward plays the whole game (just for the sake of argument) = 18 spots for forwards. So yes, in such a case, a Top 20 would be pretty meaningless.

Quote:
He's got 2 top-5s and 6 top-10s in PCHA....
Yeah, sorry about that. Should have actually paid attention to the bio before responding. It's late; forgive me.

Old
10-09-2009, 01:27 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Yeah, sorry about that. Should have actually paid attention to the bio before responding. It's late; forgive me.
No worries.

Walker is a beast. I've had him in both LC drafts.

Old
10-09-2009, 01:28 AM
vancityluongo
Twin Benning

vCash: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
Technically, it is LF's pick. It's his pick until 7:45 a.m. EST. And if the time elapses on his pick, then it's skipped. The 24 hours doesn't elapse until after 2 p.m. EST tomorrow. He should have announced the pick, and then it would be part of the deal.

I have minimal use for trades in the ATD. It has consistently done nothing except waste time. And tonight, it has certainly done that. We've missed the boat on what could have been a heck of a run. This system doesn't work. I could tell from the outset that it wouldn't work. The previous system didn't work.

I think the best system is to have what we had in MLD 11: trades are allowed, but once your pick is up, you can't trade. And I like the suggestion that there be six hours for objections, instead of this wasteful, chincey 24-hour period.
I agree with this. If everyone else is good with it, I wouldn't mind to see the 24-hour rule abolished and a 6-hour trade clock implemented as of the next round. If something is really THAT ridiculous, enough of us will see it in 6 hours. I'd imagine that something like 20 of us probably at least skim through this thread at any 6 hour period of time.

Old
10-09-2009, 01:36 AM
MadArcand
Whaletarded

1. So is the trade voided completely? Or can I make the pick in LF's stead? TBH such a quick run of picks on weekday surprises me.

2. I'm still new at this and wonder - do the voters compare your team only against your division for the divisional rankings? If there is a player who is perfect foil to most of teams but coincidentally not to majority of your division, does it lower his value?

Last edited by MadArcand: 10-09-2009 at 01:53 AM. Reason: forgot a sentence...
Old
10-09-2009, 01:58 AM
TheDevilMadeMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
I agree with this. If everyone else is good with it, I wouldn't mind to see the 24-hour rule abolished and a 6-hour trade clock implemented as of the next round. If something is really THAT ridiculous, enough of us will see it in 6 hours. I'd imagine that something like 20 of us probably at least skim through this thread at any 6 hour period of time.
I'll agree to this, so long as it's not implemented in the middle of a round.

Old
10-09-2009, 02:02 AM
TheDevilMadeMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
1. So is the trade voided completely? Or can I make the pick in LF's stead? TBH such a quick run of picks on weekday surprises me.

2. I'm still new at this and wonder - do the voters compare your team only against your division for the divisional rankings? If there is a player who is perfect foil to most of teams but coincidentally not to majority of your division, does it lower his value?
1) PM him who you want, and if he still wants the trade, he'll pick your guy tomorrow. But it's still his pick. The run of picks surprised me too, especially considering how slow it was earlier in the day. (But then I'm fairly new at this myself).

2) I think you are only compared against other teams in your division. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Old
10-09-2009, 02:02 AM
EagleBelfour

With our 9th selection, the 284th overall in this year All-Time Draft, the Detroit Falcons are extremely please to select Monsieur Robert Theodore Bauer

Name: Bobby, Lefty
Height: 5'6''
Weight: 160 lbs
Position: Right Wing
Shoots: Right
Date of Birth: February 16, 1915
Place of Birth: Waterloo, Canada
Date of Death: September 16, 1964 (Age: 49)

Stanley Cup Champion (1939, 1941)
Stanley Cup Finalist (1946)
Second All-Star Team Left Winger (1939, 1940, 1941, 1947)
Lady Bing Trophy (1940, 1941, 1947)
Played in NHL All-Star Game (1939, 1947)
Inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame (1996)

Top-10 Scoring (2nd, 7th, 9th)
Top-10 Goalscoring (2nd, 7th, 8th, 10th)
Top-10 Assist (4th, 10th)
Top-10 Playoff Scoring (5th, 10th)
Top-10 Playoff Goalscoring (4th, 5th)
Top-10 Playoff Assist (8th)
Top-10 Lady Bing Nomination (1st, 1st, 1st)

- Bobby Bauer is the brother of Father David Bauer, one of the most significant contributors to Canadian amateur and international hockey
- Won the Memorial Cup with the St-Michael's College in 1934
- Bauer scored his first NHL goal on March 21, 1937 at 15:04 of the third period
- Bobby Bauer registered the game winning goal of the 1941 Stanley Cup playoffs
- Bauer missed 3 years of prime hockey years due to the World War II
- He won the Allan Cup with the Ottawa Royal Canadian Air Force in 1942
- He retired in 1947 due to a shoulder injury suffered to the hand of Jack Stewart
- Bauer came out of retirement to play in game that Kraut Line had their sweater numbers retired, Boston versus Chicago on march 18, 1952. He registered a goal and an assist in a 4-0 victory
- Bauer became a successful coach after his playing career, especially with his old senior team, the Kitchener-Waterloo Dutchmen of the Senior Ontario Hockey Association. As the president, general manager and coach of the team, he won two Allan Cup and a bronze medal in the 1956 Olympics. He also won a silver medal in the 1960 Olympics
- At the start of the 1960's, Bauer helped put together Canada's national team program
- Bauer died of a heart attack on September 16, 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHOF
Robert Theodore "Bobby" Bauer successfully fused skillful play and sportsmanship during his 10 years with the Boston Bruins, earning much acclaim as the right winger on the famed Kraut Line with Milt Schmidt and Woody Dumart. Bauer amassed 260 points in 328 regular season games in a career that was interrupted by his service with the Royal Canadian Air Force during World War II.

Bauer returned to Boston for two more seasons, from 1945 to 1947. In his first year back, his post-season play was particularly strong as he aided the Bruins' drive to the Stanley Cup final, where they came up short against the Montreal Canadiens. In 1946-47 he enjoyed a personal-best 30-goal season and won his third Lady Byng Trophy.

Seemingly at the peak of his hockey talents, Bobby Bauer ended his NHL career. Bauer's career statistics, though good, don't tell the whole story. In 327 regular season NHL games through 7 seasons, he scored 123 goals, added 137 assists and totaled 260 points. Fittingly, he was assessed just 36 penalty minutes during his career.

Known as the game most intelligent player, Bobby Bauer had a rare combination of skill, grace and sportsmanship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Hockey
He was a skater, stick-handler, and play-maker per excellence

Peak Years 1939-43
In a Word JACKRABBIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail of the Stanley Cup, vol.3
[In 1938] he was the scoring leader of the krauts this year and the little fellow was very popular with the fans.

He was on a Cup winning team in 1939 and on another in 1941 when he suffered a bad skate cut in the first playoff series against Toronto. Despite this handicap, he continued to play and helped the Bruins down Detroit in four straight in the finals.

Bauer was almost identical in size to Cooney Weiland and the play of the slick and tricky winger resembled that of the former member of the 'Dynamite' line in many ways. He was a favourite of Art Ross who rated the 'Kraut' line as tops.

Although a small player compared to his six-foot linemates, he could hustle and kept out of trouble as his penalty record shows.

- ''He was always thinking and a very clever playmaker.'' - Milt Schmidt

- ''Bobby was the brains of the line'' - Woody Dumart

- ''Bobby was our team. He was my right arm.'' - Milt Schmidt

Sites:
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...io&list=#photo
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/html/...onep199601.htm
http://www.sihrhockey.org/member_pla..._id=183&mode=2
Video:
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...=p199601&bw=hi

Last edited by EagleBelfour: 10-15-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old
10-09-2009, 02:27 AM
MadArcand
Whaletarded

Quote:
1) PM him who you want, and if he still wants the trade, he'll pick your guy tomorrow. But it's still his pick. The run of picks surprised me too, especially considering how slow it was earlier in the day. (But then I'm fairly new at this myself).
I did PM him. Will the trade go in effect immediately or is the 24 clock reset after the pick?

Quote:
2) I think you are only compared against other teams in your division. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
So even if you hypothetically had a team that'd be superior to all teams in other divisions but had teams that are built to beat your team in your division you'd finish last? I.e. interdivisional play doesn't factor into the standings at all?

Old
10-09-2009, 03:18 AM
nik jr

it is a bit difficult to evaluate Georges Vezina, b/c he became legendary after his death in '26, but here is some information on him.

-- one of original 12 members of HHoF in '45.

-- played 328 consecutive games, and 39 consecutive playoff games.

-- led NHA/NHL in GAA six times: '11, '12, '14, '18, '24, '25

-- 2nd in GAA seven times: '13, '15, '16, '17, '19, '22, '23

not sure about '17. LoH says Vezina had the lowest GAA in '17, but i have seen other sites that says Benedict was lower.

Stanley Cup in '16, '24

Stanley Cup finalist in '17, '25, '19
'19 series was cancelled due to flu pandemic. The series was tied 2-2-1.

Vezina was nicknamed "le Concombre de Chicoutimi," the Chicoutimi Cucumber (which must be the greatest nickname of all time) due to his cool demeanor in net.
Frank Boucher described him as "absolutely imperturbable."

i found this bit from Coleman on game 1 of the '16 finals:

Quote:
The supposedly train-weary Rosebuds skated the Canadiens dizzy, and but for the brilliant work of Vezina, would have run up a much larger score than the 2-0 margin.

i remember reading something about game 4 of the '19 finals, which was stopped at 0-0 after 20 minutes of OT. This report praised Vezina and Holmes very highly, but i don't remember where i read it.

Last edited by nik jr: 10-09-2009 at 03:31 AM.
Old
10-09-2009, 03:54 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
-- led NHA/NHL in GAA six times: '11, '12, '14, '18, '24, '25

-- 2nd in GAA seven times: '13, '15, '16, '17, '19, '22, '23
If you include the PCHA and WCHL, he ends up with:
1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd.

Closed Thread