HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

All-Time Draft #12, Part III

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2009, 06:24 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmullin View Post
I'm very pleased to select a player whose ability to thrive under pressure was incredibly obvious over the past two playoffs as he scored a combined 51 points and won the 2008 Conn Smythe.

He's a career PPG player, very good at both ends of the ice and has been an impact playoff performer in his last five trips to the pos-season... including back to back trips to the Cup Finals. He's also able to play both LW and C on my second line.

I'm very happy to add LW/C Henrik Zetterberg
I knew once Datsyuk went it wouldn't be long till he went. He was also "plan B" after Duff on line 1. We tossed Datsyuk and Zetterberg's names around a lot and still wondered if there'd be a way we could grab one.

Old
10-09-2009, 06:26 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I was hoping that Keats would be feeding passes to an even greater goal scorer of the same last name. A Northcott-Keats-Conacher line would have been a real handful for defenses.

Recchi was a bargain where he ended up getting picked.
i was very surprised he fell to 289.

he obviously has higher career value (15th all time in scoring, 45th all time in playoff scoring), but he also finished as high as 3rd in scoring and led the NHL in assists once, and led his team in scoring many times ('91, '93, '94, '95, '98, '00, '01, '04).

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I knew once Datsyuk went it wouldn't be long till he went. He was also "plan B" after Duff on line 1. We tossed Datsyuk and Zetterberg's names around a lot and still wondered if there'd be a way we could grab one.
i was thinking for a long time of picking them at 288 and 289.

2 of my favorite players ever, and are amazing together. their offensive and defensive games complement each other very well.

would have made an excellent 2 way 3rd line.

but i needed a goalie.

Old
10-09-2009, 06:41 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post

i was thinking for a long time of picking them at 288 and 289.

2 of my favorite players ever, and are amazing together. their offensive and defensive games complement each other very well.

would have made an excellent 2 way 3rd line.

but i needed a goalie.
I was wondering if you would pick them with your back to backs. I was definitely going to get them with my next back to backs to be the backbone of a great third line, but I would have been really surprised if they fell to me.

Old
10-09-2009, 06:46 PM
JFA87-66-99

I'm extremely sick to see that Pavel Datsyuk has been taken. Nice Pick!!!!!

Old
10-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

I guess everybody's got different taste in centers. I, for one, am surprised to still find Bernie Federko on the board at this point.

Old
10-09-2009, 07:05 PM
jarek

And Rzeznik was on earlier, but as far as I know.. didn't leave a list.

Old
10-09-2009, 07:12 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
I guess everybody's got different taste in centers. I, for one, am surprised to still find Bernie Federko on the board at this point.
Seems like a steal at this point to me. I was certainly interested in seeing how far he'd fall.

Old
10-09-2009, 07:15 PM
raleh

Quote:
Agreed. I'm very interested to hear EB's argument that Keats is better.

Old
10-09-2009, 07:17 PM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleh View Post
Agreed. I'm very interested to hear EB's argument that Keats is better.
No worry, I know he was the guy GBC implied when he said there was a better C available. I firmly believe Keats is a more deserving player than Federko and I'll try to show it tonight.

Old
10-09-2009, 07:18 PM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
No worry, I know he was the guy GBC implied when he said there was a better C available. I firmly believe Keats is a more deserving player than Keats and I'll try to show it tonight.
Yeah, you'll certainly have a hell of a time trying to prove Keats is better than himself...

Old
10-09-2009, 07:19 PM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by jareklajkosz View Post
Yeah, you'll certainly have a hell of a time trying to prove Keats is better than himself...
Bah!

Old
10-09-2009, 07:19 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I was wondering if you would pick them with your back to backs. I was definitely going to get them with my next back to backs to be the backbone of a great third line, but I would have been really surprised if they fell to me.
in every draft, i am tempted to pick some players, but i end up picking other players, and then i regret it.

i have picked datsyuk as a spare, though.

i have wanted to start with hasek for a long time. larry robinson was the other player i was hoping to get in the 1st round.

Old
10-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Rzeznik

Here guys, picks coming.

Old
10-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Rzeznik

With our 10th pick in the 12th All-time draft, the Nova Scotia Voyageurs are pleased to select a rough and tough defenceman to play with Ken Reardon, a man who is not afraid to drop the mitts and mix it up, but also a steady defensive presence on the ice. He also has a bit of offensive skill, with a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 9th place finish in points among defenceman. Overall, a great two-way defender, from Eriksdale, Manitoba...

Ted Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends of Hockey
When Ted Green stepped onto the ice with the St. Boniface Canadiens in 1956-57, he was the property of the Montreal Canadiens. Three seasons later, he won the Memorial Cup with the Winnipeg Braves before the Boston Bruins secured his rights in the inter-league waiver draft of 1960.

In Green, the Bruins got a solid enforcer who provided the club with crease-clearing spine and leadership during the lean years of the early sixties. He put in eight seasons in Boston, watching the team accumulate an increasing number of Stanley Cup pieces when he suffered one of the more serious injuries in NHL history. Green's skull was fractured as the result of a stick-swinging duel with Wayne Maki of the St. Louis Blues during a pre-season match in 1969. Green was left paralyzed and close to death with no expectations of ever resuming his career on ice. But a year of convalescence and conditioning brought on an impressive recovery. With a metal plate in his head, Green returned to the Bruins line-up to finally savor a Stanley Cup victory in 1972, having missed the first win in 1970.

In 1972, Green became one of the high-profile NHLers who jumped to the WHA, in his case, with the New England Whalers. The team won the league's first Avco Cup in 1973. After two more seasons with the Whalers, Green closed out his career with the Winnipeg Jets where he enjoyed two more Avco Cup victories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruins Legends
Born on March 23, 1940 in Eriksdale, Manitoba, Ted played his junior hockey in St. Boniface Manitoba in the Montreal Canadiens junior system. He led the league in penalty minutes twice in his 3 full seasons in the MJHL, quickly developing a reputation as the baddest hockey player in all of Manitoba. However the Canadiens left Terrible Ted unprotected in the 1960 Intra League draft and he would join the Boston Bruins organization.

Green remained in Manitoba initially. He played two years with the Winnipeg Warriors of the WHL before the Bruins came calling for the 1961-62 season. The Bruins were looking for a rugged rearguard replacement for Fernie Flaman. Boston GM xxxx xxxxxxx's search ended in his own system as Green quickly became a leader among the Bruins blue line corps.

Though he was brought in initially for his physicality and intimidation, Green developed into a good NHLer through sheer determination. A monster in his own zone, Green kept the other team honest. A hard hitting and willing fighter with a short fuse, Green became an integral part of the Bruins. An excellent shot blocker, Green saw time as a forward on penalty kills. His puck skills improved to the point where in 1969 he was named to the NHL Second All Star team when scored 8 goals and 46 points, a far cry from his 11 point rookie season.

Green opened the 1961-62 season in Boston and led the team with 116 PIM. He gained instant respect around the league that season, dropping the gloves with any and all comers, including a memorable fight with Frank Mahovlich in which Green broke his hand. Green playing hurt would quickly become a regular occurrence. Never a true offensive threat, Green developed into a decent d-man with the puck. He became very good at making the first pass to clear the zone, and his assist totals eventually reached the mid- 30s on a consistent basis. He scored a career high 8 goals on 2 occasions.

In September 1969, Green suffered one of the scariest injuries in NHL history in a stick swinging incident with Wayne Maki of the St. Louis Blues. It was an exhibition game in Ottawa and the two began swinging their sticks at each other as though they were Jedi Knights. The altercation ended when Maki clubbed Green on the head baseball swing style. That resulted in life threatening injuries to Green with three major operations were required to save his life. The left side of his body was paralyzed and it seemed obvious he would never play again.

Yet somehow Green made a miraculous comeback. Through courage and determination, Green returned to Bruins lineup in 1970-71 and savored the Bruins Stanley Cup victory in 1972.

Following the '72 championship, Green jumped at the big bucks being thrown his way by the WHA. He played the next three years with the nearby New England Whalers before finishing his career with seasons back in his home province with the Winnipeg Jets. Adding to his legend as a winner, Green was part of three Avco Cup championships, 1 in New England and 2 in Winnipeg.

Green was one of the toughest players ever in league history. He made the NHL in the magical days of the Original Six when jobs were scarce. He played 20 years in pro hockey and developed into an All Star and a Stanley Cup winner. Yet he his best known nearly dying on the ice.

Old
10-09-2009, 09:55 PM
EagleBelfour

With our 10th selection, the 293rd overall in this year All-Time Draft, the Detroit Falcons are extremely please to select Monsieur Gordon Blanchard Keats

Nickname: Duke, Iron Duke
Height: 5'11''
Weight: 195 lbs
Position: Center
Shoots: Right
Date of Birth: March 01, 1895
Place of Birth: Montreal, Canada
Date of Death: January 16, 1972 (Age: 76)

Stanley Cup Finalist (1923)
First All-Star Team Centre (1922, 1923, 1924, 1925) *WCHL*
First All-Star Team Centre (1926) *WHL*
Art Ross Trophy (1922) *WCHL*
Hart Memorial Trophy (1922*) *WCHL*
Maurice Richard Trophy (1922) *WCHL*
Team Captain (1921-1926)
Inducted into the Edmonton Sports Hall of Fame (1964)
Inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame (1958)

National Hockey Association [1915-17]
Top-10 Scoring (4th)
Top-10 Goalscoring (5th)
Top-10 Assist (4th)
Top-10 Penalty Minutes (3rd, 10th)
Western Canada Hockey League [1921-25]
Western Hockey League [1925-26]

Top-10 Scoring (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 6th)
Top-10 Goalscoring (1st, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 5th)
Top-10 Assist (1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th)
Top-10 Penalty Minutes (1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 8th)
Top-10 Playoff Scoring (1st, 2nd, 8th)
Top-10 Playoff Goalscoring (1st)
Top-10 Playoff Assist (1st, 1st, 3rd)
Top-10 Playoff Penalty Minutes (1st, 2nd, 2nd)
National Hockey League [1926-29]
Top-10 Scoring (9th, 10th)
Top-10 Goalscoring (10th)
Top-10 Assist (7th, 8th)

- Gordon was given the nickname "Duke" after a warship
- At the age of 17, he was making $75 a month playing hockey (about 1650$ today)
- Lost two years of prime hockey due to World War I
- In the 1916-17 season, Keats played two games with the Toronto Blueshirts as the goaltender, posting a 0-1 record with a goal against average of 8.82
- He scored eight goals against Saskatoon on January 23, 1922
- In the 1923 WCHL finals, he scored the game winning goals in overtime
- A story is told that Duke once skated the length of the ice backwards and scored a goal on the opposition
- In the 1926-27 season, he was named head coach of the Detroit Cougars for 11 games
- The first goal Keats ever scored in a Detroit uniform was an overtime winner in a 1-0 victory over the New York Americans
- He registered the first hat-trick of the franchise history in a 7-1 win over Pittsburgh on March 10, 1927
- In 1926-27, he led all Detroit's player with three game-winning goals
- Keats played the right wing with the Chicago Blackhawks
- Elected into the World Wide Hockey Hall of Fame in 1948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Hockey
Keats uncanilly could figure out how a play was going to work before it even happened (a gift that was often been attributed to Wayne Gretzky).
After a while, people were coming from all over to sneak a pekk of hockey's newest wunderkind. Keats received offer from every professional hockey town in the country. [...] The tall and muscular lad [...] Keats hit his peak in Edmonton. The ''Iron Duke'' hailed on all side as one of the most dominating forces ever seen, was the best player in the league. Throngs of people clamored to see the big, strong center perform miracles with the puck. He shot as well as anyone anywhere, combining unparallelled offensive abilities with a hard, clean style to become the greatest player to play in Edmonton before Gretzky
Keats played a big role in bringing the title to Edmonton in 1923
He remained a hockey icons across western Canada until his death in 1971.

Peak Years 1921-25
In a Word IRON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Red Wings Website
Among hockey's all-time greats, Duke Keats is often overlooked because he spent so little of his career - a paltry 82 games - performing in the NHL. But his contemporaries knew that Keats was a name which should be mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Gordie Howe, Wayne Gretzky and Howie Morenz.

A fiery leader, once while playing for Toronto of the National Hockey Association during the 1916-17 season, Keats became so angered by the poor performance of goalie Billy Nicholson that he strapped on the pads and took over in net himself for the next period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail of the Stanley Cup, vol.1
He led them to the championship of the WCHL in 1923 when they almost toppled the Ottawa Senators for the Cup. He was regarded by many westerners as a rival to the peerless Frank Nighbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonton Oilers Heritage
Keats, a player who had been the star attraction for the Toronto Blueshirts of the National Hockey Association, was the biggest star in the league (In a league with Mickey Mackay). In just 27 Big-4 games, all with the Edmonton Eskimos, Keats scored 41 career goals. He would later star for the Boston Bruins, Detroit Cougars (the forerunners to the Red Wings) and the Chicago Blackhawks of the National Hockey League.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pension Plan Puppets
Keats is something of a lesser-known Hall of Famer because he spent most of his time out west and was only in the NHL for parts of three seasons in the mid-to-late twenties. He was a great centre, though, and was called by Lester Patrick "the brainiest pivot that ever strapped on a skate." A perennial all-star in the western leagues, he took the Edmonton Eskimoes (a team that also included a younger Eddie Shore) to the Stanley Cup Final against Ottawa in 1923 losing a pair of one-goal decisions in the process
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pelletier
Edmonton had the great Duke Keats, a Wayne Gretzky-like offensive dynamo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunlight; les meilleurs joueurs de tous les temps
Duke Keats, qui à terminé sa carrière dans la LNH à Boston, Chicago et Detroit, était dans sa jeunesse la fierté de l'Ouest avec Edmonton, dans la Western Canada Hockey League. Duke jouait dans les ligues amateurs depuis l'âge de 14 ans. À son retour de la Première Guerre Mondiale, il remporta le titre de meilleur marqueur de la WCHL, menant Edmonton à une finale très sérrée contre les Sénateurs d'Ottawa en 1923. Joueur impétueux et très habile à préparer des jeux, il fut considéré par Frank Patrick comme '' le plus doué des pivots à avoir jamais chaussé les patins.''

- ''You would have thought he had a nail in the end of his stick, the way he could carry that puck around. He was that good.'' - Lloyd McIntyre, a teammate of Keats

- ''To just a kid, it looked like a million.'' - Duke Keats, about the money he was making at a young age

- ''Duke is the possessor of more hockey grey matter than any man who ever played the game'' - Frank Patrick

- ''Gordon Keats was the best player of all time'' - Lloyd McIntyre

- ''Keats was the brainiest pivot that ever strapped on a skate because he could organize plays and make passes every time he starts.'' - Lester Patrick

Sites:
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...=P195812#photo
http://www.sihrhockey.org/member_pla...id=1749&mode=0
http://redwings.nhl.com/club/page.ht..._wol-dukekeats
http://www.oilersheritage.com/histor...n_eskimos.html

Last edited by EagleBelfour: 10-18-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old
10-09-2009, 09:56 PM
jarek

I saw seventies for a second, but I guess he's gone now.

On the left side of the 3rd line, we have Craig Ramsay, a man who was a very effective checker while showing great restraint in doing so. This man? Not so much. The Red Wings traded for him simply because he was always giving their star forward, Gordie Howe, a total fit every time they were out on the ice together. Even though Howe won't be his check this time around, I'm sure he won't think twice about running his mouth off to him when he comes within ear shot. On top of all this, this man brings a key offensive element to the third line, something that is vital to our perspective that all lines must be able to play a transition game.

To continue our efforts of putting a strong defensive team in front of Jacques Plante, the Regina Pats are pleased to welcome Tony Leswick into the fold!

Old
10-09-2009, 09:57 PM
jarek

So uh, Caper already has a skipped pick. I guess it's chaos' turn?

Old
10-09-2009, 10:08 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by jareklajkosz View Post
So uh, Caper already has a skipped pick. I guess it's chaos' turn?
yeah, if a guy still has an outstanding pick to be made up, they're skipped again

Old
10-09-2009, 10:29 PM
vancityluongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I'm really happy for you. As you know, Backstrom was my 2nd pick, when I picked... Dillon. 50 picks ago.

What has to be known about that pick : VCL and I had a tentative deal, in which we would switch last two picks, and another one a little later. I wanted Watson badly, extremely badly, and he wanted Backstrom as badly as I wanted Watson. The thing is, I was aiming for another player, which I was sure wouldn't be available at 305 (Sergei Gonchar). And I thought Watson would be available at 28x, at first.

So I kindof agreed to the trade down. But it was way too late, and it was like 4 picks away when we were about to close the deal. I had the opportunity to pick Backstrom, and to send it to VCL.

But the thing is : in the ATD's, we're kindof starting to know each other. And I marked Nalyd as... extremely likely to pick Watson (...it seems I was right), and he was picking ahead of VCL.

Finally, we both picked the guys we wanted to pick, without trading up or down.
Thanks man, I'm happy for you too that we didn't complete the trade too, and you ended up getting Watson. Too bad you couldn't have gotten Gonchar, but we all knew he wouldn't last that long. Things worked out about as close to perfect as we could've hoped for, I'd say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
The Winnipeg Jets select defenseman Ott Heller
Thanks for announcing my pick EB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
raleh and I are big Heller fans. He wasn't the best defenceman available, but he was tops on our list for this round. And he was No. 2 on our short list for the last round. His combination of toughness and puck-moving ability gives me reason to believe he's a Jean-Guy Talbot type of defenceman, and that's pretty good for Round 10.
My top-2 for these picks at the beginning of the previous round when I was discussing a trade with MXD was Backstrom and Heller. I didn't think I'd realistically get Heller if I traded up for Backstrom, so I'm extremely pleased with the way things worked out. I just got a ideal player for the 2nd pairing in Heller, and at this point, that's about all I could ask for. There were a few others I think might've been "better", but none for the role.

Quote:
That's a great pick for sure. If I'd missed on Heller, I'd be kicking myself pretty hard for taking Mike Modano instead of a d back then, and not using my last pick for Federko, who is great value at this point, regardless of whether or not he's better than Duke Keats (who was also a nice pick).

Old
10-09-2009, 10:58 PM
MXD

Come on, get rythm...
I'm drunk and I'd like to pick.

Old
10-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Leafs Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Come on, get rythm...
I'm drunk and I'd like to pick.
You know, this makes me wonder what the results would show if a study was done on picks while drunk..

Old
10-09-2009, 11:08 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
C: Butch Goring

Old
10-09-2009, 11:18 PM
overpass

LW Patrik Elias

Over the past decade (1999-00 to 2008-09) he is:

13th in regular season goals (258)
11th in regular season points (614)
5th in regular season plus-minus (+148)
4th in playoff goals (38)
1st in playoff points (102)
7th in playoff plus-minus (+23)
10th in regular season even strength goals (176)
10th in regular season even strength points (389)
1st in game winning goals (58)

Elias has been a major and underrated reason for the New Jersey Devils continued success over his career. I don't think there should be a 270 spot gap between him and Martin Brodeur.

Last edited by overpass: 10-11-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old
10-10-2009, 12:02 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
LW Patrik Elias

10th in regular season even strength goals
10th in regular season even strength points
1st in game winning goals

Elias has been a major and underrated reason for the New Jersey Devils continued success over his career. I don't think there should be a 270 spot gap between him and Martin Brodeur.
Excellent pick for this spot. He was plan C if we didn't take Duff for the first line.

Old
10-10-2009, 12:09 AM
vancityluongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
LW Patrik Elias

10th in regular season even strength goals (176)
10th in regular season even strength points (389)
1st in game winning goals (58)

As long as that isn't a shot at Brodeur, and more of a pimp towards Elias, I like this. Good pick.

Closed Thread