HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Worst missed call of the night

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2004, 10:05 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Worst missed call of the night

I'd like to start a new thread about the most blatant missed calls of each night/game.

I really thought Hatchet, er Hatcher got away with a big time slash last night.

He missed a good 17 minutes of the game. How in the hell does Auger or Pollock miss that call...PATHETIC

http://www.nhl.com/onthefly/scoreboa...s/SC030151.HTM

Old
04-08-2004, 10:11 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
I'd like to start a new thread about the most blatant missed calls of each night/game.

He missed a good 17 minutes of the game. How in the hell does Auger or Pollock miss that call...PATHETIC

Which slash? Hatcher had two of them that were missed. One that took Stevenson out of the game and another where Hatcher broke his stick over another Pred in the third period.

I thought that the goalie interference on, Walker I believe was weak.

Also, while it should have been a penalty on Chelios, I don't think that it should have been a penalty shot.

From the parts I watched of the Habs/Bruins and Nucks/Flames it looked like the refs were calling far too much and not letting them play.

Old
04-08-2004, 10:14 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Which slash? Hatcher had two of them that were missed. One that took Stevenson out of the game and another where Hatcher broke his stick over another Pred in the third period.

I thought that the goalie interference on, Walker I believe was weak.

Also, while it should have been a penalty on Chelios, I don't think that it should have been a penalty shot.

From the parts I watched of the Habs/Bruins and Nucks/Flames it looked like the refs were calling far too much and not letting them play.
Hatchet's slash on Stevenson, the only sad part was that the FS cameras didn't catch it on TV...gggrrr

I wholeheartedly agree about the Nucks-Flames game...LET THEM PLAY...this just isn't a thread about the Preds-Wings game missed calls, its about all of the games.

Old
04-08-2004, 10:25 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Hatcher didn't slash him hard at all, the stick just caught Stevenson in the back of the knee. Let them play hockey, slashes to the leg are part of the sport. Stevenson didn't want to move so hatcher gave him a little chop.

Old
04-08-2004, 10:29 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Hatcher didn't slash him hard at all, the stick just caught Stevenson in the back of the knee. Let them play hockey, slashes to the leg are part of the sport. Stevenson didn't want to move so hatcher gave him a little chop.
We shall see Hartnell stand up for his buddy Stevenson in game 2, then hopefully, in his old fashioned Kariya/Fischer/Legace type way...maybe then maybe we won't have to endure that crap from Hatcher the rest of the way.

Old
04-08-2004, 10:30 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Flames were running Cloutier pretty much all of the night. After the Saprykin goal, Cloutier received a shot to the head and his mask came off. No call.
However, there was one missed on Marek Malik. He high sticked Chris Simon in the ear and the Flames were on a PP, would've put the Canucks down two men, but no call.

One call I felt was particularly weak was a Too Many Men call by a linesman. Ron MacLean had a rulebook out in the intermission, and it stated that if a player is 5 feet from the bench and NOT INVOLVED IN THE PLAY, then another player can come on in his place for a change. Jovanovski just skated to the open door on the other side(meanwhile the play was in the middle of the ice) and Sopel came off the bench before Jovanovski got onto the bench. Too many men was called. Um, buh?

The whole game was called pretty tightly though. MacLean said soemthing about a memo being dispatched to all officials to call the obstruction really tightly(which was demonstrated in the Canucks/Flames game). I mean, jeez, 16 power plays!

Old
04-08-2004, 11:03 AM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
Quote:
Let them play hockey, slashes to the leg are part of the sport.
Yeah, they're a penalty. What's your point?

Old
04-08-2004, 11:06 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Flavour
Yeah, they're a penalty. What's your point?
They are since Betman took over, before that only a huge hack would get called, which Hatcher did not do.

Old
04-08-2004, 11:07 AM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
not that it was a big deal or anything but last night Corson just ripped the stick out of Boughners hand right in the open and threw it on the ice and then as boughner was trying top pick it up Corson kicked it away. IMO there should been a call there....

and to make it worse corson dove about 10 seconds later and whined about no call.

Old
04-08-2004, 11:09 AM
Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan

in the bruins game it was getting annoying with all the stoppages in play....just let them play!

Old
04-08-2004, 11:26 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Quote:
Hatchet's slash on Stevenson, the only sad part was that the FS cameras didn't catch it on TV...gggrrr

I wholeheartedly agree about the Nucks-Flames game...LET THEM PLAY...this just isn't a thread about the Preds-Wings game missed calls, its about all of the games.

I dont know about ESPN, But the Fox Sports Detroit feed replayed the slash. I was a normal Hatcher chop. I could have easily been called. The penalty shot call was laughable too. but hey, refs are human and are gonna make mistakes. Every sports has it's problem with refs or officals.

Old
04-08-2004, 11:28 AM
Drury77

Send a message via AIM to Drury77 Send a message via Yahoo to Drury77 Send a message via Skype™ to Drury77
I agree there were a lot of non-calls and bad calls made in the Pred/Wings game......but as we all know that is part of the game..Zebras make their presence known.

As for the B's game, I too thought that they shoulda let them play more. Maybe they are just concerned that bad blood wont take long to surface with these two clubs.

It used to be that the Zebra's didn't call everything, but let them play more.....but with some of the incidents that have happened........they are probably on a short leash......just a guess.

Old
04-08-2004, 11:31 AM
Mack

in the Avs stars game they said the ref had a meeting and they told them to call all the obsruction stuff.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:35 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't think the refs should call a slash to the knee, just hope Hatcher doesn't mind when the favor is returned, he did afterall, just get back from knee surgery. If I was Stevenson I'd wait unit Saturday and take a whack to the side of his bad knee, an eye for an eye.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:39 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
I was at the game last night... Each team was throwing cheapshots around like it was nothing. Hartnell had a few himself. He nailed Yzerman from the side/behind around the bench area, then you got a few breaking nashville players to the net outside of the play slashing manny and atleast the trip was called...

The reffing last night was horrible, worst i can honestly say ive ever seen.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:52 PM
Radulov for Czar*

actually the penalty shot rules were changed, so it was the correct call.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:52 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
What an idiotic comment. God, maybe Brodeur will catch a harmless stick in the back of his leg....and when he goes down with an injury you will change your stance. Slashes to the leg are not a part of the sport. They are completely illegal.

As for the PS, yes it didn't look like much, but according to the rule book, it is a penalty shot. Too many times do we see defensemen getting away with the skiing/hooking totally disrupting a scoring chance. This was the case again. Yes the hook was minor, but it was a hook and it did affect the scoring chance in a big way. I'm for the rules being called correctly here. I'd love to see more PS, and calling them when they apply, will just make the game better (awards the player who was fouled on a play and will help stop the fouls on breakaways).

Legace's dive there in the 3rd was amusing as well. Great play by him, though, as it broke up one of the few offensive surges we had in the third, and got the Wings a PP.

Last edited by Enoch: 04-08-2004 at 12:57 PM.
Old
04-08-2004, 12:55 PM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
I don't think the refs should call a slash to the knee, just hope Hatcher doesn't mind when the favor is returned, he did afterall, just get back from knee surgery. If I was Stevenson I'd wait unit Saturday and take a whack to the side of his bad knee, an eye for an eye.

That is just what the NHL needs, more retaliatory hits and cheap shots.

Old
04-08-2004, 01:35 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Cool. And here's an official logo for the thread: .

Old
04-08-2004, 01:38 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Cool. And here's an official logo for the thread: .
Don't you have a picture of Leon Stickle ???

Old
04-08-2004, 01:46 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. X
That is just what the NHL needs, more retaliatory hits and cheap shots.
Players have and will police themselves, always been that way always will.

Old
04-08-2004, 01:53 PM
MotownMadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesey
actually the penalty shot rules were changed, so it was the correct call.
What was the change? It's always been when the action keeps the player from getting a shot off. I think that's the cause of the Wings fans' disbelief. It seems a penalty like the one Chelios took happens to the Wings (or used) a couple times a game and Wings never got a penalty shot for it. I know I'm whiny, I just didn't think the PS was warranted.

As for Hatcher. Yeah, he's dirty. That's why I hated him when he was in Dallas. Of course he's also abominibly slow. That's why I hate him in Detroit.

Old
04-08-2004, 02:09 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

Old
04-08-2004, 02:19 PM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Players have and will police themselves, always been that way always will.

I am not trying to hijack the thread, but letting the patients run the asylum is not a good idea and it is a major problem in the NHL.

Old
04-08-2004, 02:25 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I didn't say go all Bert or McSorely on him. Just give what you got, paybacks are a *****.

Closed Thread