HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Slap Braydon Coburn Upside the Head Thread

Old
10-09-2009, 02:51 PM
captainpaxil

vCash: 500
my big question with the coburn goal is this. whenever i played and so long as ive watched you never wanted to put the puck in front of your goalie. passes through the slot were called suicide passes. yet rather then playing the reverse or a simple chip along the boards i see alot of these cross-ice passes through the slot and last night it came back on us. is it a lack of coaching or poor decision making or has the game simply gone in a different direction where this play is now acceptable?

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Miss Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Pronger needs to hold a skate to his neck and have a long talk

fear might do the trick

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

It's poor coaching to put the puck infront of your crease. Players should be threatened that if they do it, the coach is going to ram a stick up your arse.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 01:09 AM
Gert B Frobe

I think all the big name guys on this team think of Stevens as their buddy. Timmonen, Coburn, Carle, Parent - have all played like ass and I don't think Stevens says anything to them about it. Go back to Richards' comments at the end of last year - it seems like they don't even fear Holmgren. There is a lot of talent and more than a few giant egos on this team.

I would be pleasantly surprised if this team could reach let alone win the cup with Stevens as coach. They need a guy who demands respect but won't cause the team to rebel and quit on him. I don't know who that is - a Tortorella type coach but not an idiot like Tortorella. Maybe somebody like Hitchcock. They wouldn't score as much but they could be dominant defensively.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 01:21 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
I think all the big name guys on this team think of Stevens as their buddy. Timmonen, Coburn, Carle, Parent - have all played like ass and I don't think Stevens says anything to them about it. Go back to Richards' comments at the end of last year - it seems like they don't even fear Holmgren. There is a lot of talent and more than a few giant egos on this team.

I would be pleasantly surprised if this team could reach let alone win the cup with Stevens as coach. They need a guy who demands respect but won't cause the team to rebel and quit on him. I don't know who that is - a Tortorella type coach but not an idiot like Tortorella. Maybe somebody like Hitchcock. They wouldn't score as much but they could be dominant defensively.
Really?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 11:25 AM
GirouxcyGiouxce

Didn't Coburn have hip surgery this offseason? Maybe that effected his preparation for the season...hopefully we'll see him improve as the year goes on. Fingers crossed :/

GirouxcyGiouxce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxcyGiouxce View Post
Didn't Coburn have hip surgery this offseason? Maybe that effected his preparation for the season...hopefully we'll see him improve as the year goes on. Fingers crossed :/

I'm with you. He's too good to suck this bad.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Slowbro

wgaf, we have pronger and timonen for 3-5 more years.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 12:44 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxcyGiouxce View Post
Yeah maybe.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Here is hoping he gets his act together. He did not play all that well last year either and so far this season his play has been below average at best. But I have my fingers crossed that the light will go on in his head and his play picks up.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 04:09 PM
CanadianFlyersFan18

Worse then Jones? I don't think any Flyer will ever be as bad as Randy.. he was just brutal everytime he stepped onto the ice.
Coby just needs to do the little things right and relax. If he does that he will do fine and all of us will have to find a new whipping boy... (Jones was useful)

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyersFan18 View Post
Worse then Jones? I don't think any Flyer will ever be as bad as Randy.. he was just brutal everytime he stepped onto the ice
Over the course of a year, maybe not. Over the course of three games? I think Coburn is giving Jones a run for his money.

Old
10-10-2009, 04:15 PM
CanadianFlyersFan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
my big question with the coburn goal is this. whenever i played and so long as ive watched you never wanted to put the puck in front of your goalie. passes through the slot were called suicide passes. yet rather then playing the reverse or a simple chip along the boards i see alot of these cross-ice passes through the slot and last night it came back on us. is it a lack of coaching or poor decision making or has the game simply gone in a different direction where this play is now acceptable?
Passes through the slot aren't suicide passes.. suicide passes are passes to players that are in a bad position and will get cranked as soon as they touch the puck i.e R.J Umberger getting ran over by Brian Campbell. A pass through the slot, goalie crease or out front of your net is called stupid. I agree Coburn just needs to chip it along the boards etc.. but the forwards have to support more for that to be successful thats all.

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Slowbro

BENCH HIM. seriously. this game is final straw.

Old
10-10-2009, 09:43 PM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cannon View Post
BENCH HIM. seriously. this game is final straw.
Can't bench a guy like Coburn, his play is based off his confidence. Play him with Pronger.

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 09:44 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I'll add a slap. Way to sit there at the blue line while Selanne flies past you. Nice dive attempt, dip-****.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 09:56 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

He looked better tonight.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 09:59 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
He looked better tonight.
He looked fine tonight other than that Selanne goal....But Selanne has been doing that to much better dmen than Coburn for years. He just got caught standing still and coming forward, there isnt a dman on the team that could have done anything about that play

If 4th line players start doing that to him, then I will start worrying!

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Norm MacDonald

Instead of getting undressed or turning the puck over every other shift, Coburn looked solid this game except for one mistake that turned into a goal. He was much, much better tonight.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 11:16 PM
smacklby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
He looked fine tonight other than that Selanne goal....But Selanne has been doing that to much better dmen than Coburn for years. He just got caught standing still and coming forward, there isnt a dman on the team that could have done anything about that play

If 4th line players start doing that to him, then I will start worrying!
part of a defenseman's responsibility is reading the play; letting Selanne break into our zone like that is not acceptable; i blame Coburn, and I'm also not impressed with Emery; his size and toughness aside, he is worse than Biron, imo....

smacklby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacklby View Post
I'm also not impressed with Emery; his size and toughness aside, he is worse than Biron, imo....
hahahhhahaha what?>?!?!

Old
10-10-2009, 11:36 PM
DickTony

I agree that Coburn should see some time with Timonen...it's done good for Carle IMO, guy is 2nd in the league in assists and has looked infinitely better defensively this year.

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 11:41 PM
smacklby

Quote:
hahahhhahaha what?>?!?!
not on that play; Selanne has a good shot; BUT, overall, so far this season; i just don't see where he is any better than Biron; if you remember, Biron stole games for the Flyers, especially in the '08 playoffs. It's early, yet, but Emery's let in some soft goals, not necessarily this game, but in the two previous games.... maybe it's too early to really say, but I've lost some confidence in him this past week, that's for sure....

smacklby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 11:44 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
hahahhhahaha what?>?!?!
It's not that horrific a thing to say. I know everybody's drinking the Emery kool-aid these days because he had that 2-0 start behind good defense, but I have never seen him as a significant upgrade over Biron. I maintain that he has shoddy footwork and shaky fundamentals and this leads to some errant goals. And sure, sometimes he makes great saves because of his size, athleticism, or competitive nature, but he's not elite. IMO, we're still banking on him playing above anything he's ever done before. And while I certainly can't fault him for any of our losses thus far, or the majority of goals in those shoot-outs against the Pens and Caps (meaning high-paced, high-scoring games and not actual OT shootouts just in case anyone decides to be picky about that), I don't think he's been a phenom. He's had opportunities to make the huge, game-changing saves that Biron never did (in many fans' opinion), and in my opinion he hasn't made them, either. He's a touch better than Marty in terms of upside, sure, and people can talk all day about the timing and the price and all that about why he's here. But he's not really elevating our netminding enough to make a difference, I think.

I hope he proves me wrong and demonstrates an ability to carry this team on his back all year. But ultimately I still believe he's just gonna wind up being another stop-gap and another year wasted when we could be looking for a real solution in nets. And I'm not even sure who that could be, given what's out there...but I was never sure about him and remain very unconvinced that he'll be it. I'm still hoping that some day, this organization actually realizes that the goaltender position is an important thing to invest in.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 12:12 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacklby View Post
part of a defenseman's responsibility is reading the play; letting Selanne break into our zone like that is not acceptable; i blame Coburn, and I'm also not impressed with Emery; his size and toughness aside, he is worse than Biron, imo....
I thought he played very well tonight. Pretty well for the first two games, and just acceptable against the Pens and Caps. That's still better than Biron, who until March came around had three bad games for every two good ones.