HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Detroit, boring?

Old
10-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Vyacheslav
Twenty-four

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Preposterous, but I just want to say how saddened I was to see a 29 year old referred to as "old." Talk about a kick in the head!

Vyacheslav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 07:12 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

To be honest I agree with some of what you said to a small extent..

But I still enjoy watching the Wings, despite all the things you said I still think they are a great team and I can see the bright futures in our prospect pool.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.

I'm afraid at what people will be saying 10 games in?!

Zetsyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 03:45 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Jiri Hudler will be a 90 point player when he finally bulks up enough in 4-5 years? And I can see Filpulla being a 60-75 point 2 way center and Leino with similar production.

And this thread is way too premature. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are still getting adjusted to the new season, don't be surprised when they both notch at least 80 points and hopefully 90.
80 points for those two would be poor, really poor.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 03:59 AM
RedLeader

Nordic you literally became a Red Wing fan like a few months ago. I saw you post that you don't follow any NHL teams not too long ago. Now your all "we" with the Red Wings, and how they suck and plays boring. Man go join some other bandwagon please.

RedLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 04:16 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeader View Post
Nordic you literally became a Red Wing fan like a few months ago. I saw you post that you don't follow any NHL teams not too long ago. Now your all "we" with the Red Wings, and how they suck and plays boring. Man go join some other bandwagon please.

Really, find me the post where I said this please. I've cheered for Detroit since Lidstrom joined the team.

Old
10-10-2009, 04:52 AM
RedLeader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Really, find me the post where I said this please. I've cheered for Detroit since Lidstrom joined the team.
I'm sure your cheered for Lidstrom and Detroit in the same way you cheered for Forsberg and Colorado.

I saw you post you don't really have any favorite teams, but you guessed you follow Red Wings back when your username was Bilros in some thread.

Anyways i'm hungover and grumpy over Franzens injury so I might have been too harsh.

Old
10-10-2009, 05:11 AM
Snauen*

Agreed, is there a more boring player than Franzén right now. Hopefully he heals. He won't be well in time for the olympics though, boring indeed.

Snauen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 05:34 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
I'm sure your cheered for Lidstrom and Detroit in the same way you cheered for Forsberg and Colorado.

I saw you post you don't really have any favorite teams, but you guessed you follow Red Wings back when your username was Bilros in some thread.

Anyways i'm hungover and grumpy over Franzens injury so I might have been too harsh.
Yeah. Like I said, I started cheering for Detroit when Lidstrom got there. If he had been drafted by Philly I can't say I wouldn't have cheered for them instead, but since I'm european I don't have any geographical preferences since I don't live close to any of the teams, therefore I got my favourite teams by the players on the teams.

Since then I have had Detroit as much fav-team, and while Forsberg played in Colorado they were #2. When he left I didn't follow them anymore, but when Lidstrom leaves Detroit I'll still see it as my team. So in that sense I am loyal.

Alot of people cheer for a specific team due to either their geographical location, a specific player, the history or the way the team plays (for instance Broad street bullies). There's my story behind it, but frankly I don't think I should have to motivate why.

Isn't it ironic that the one player I wrote I found somewhat exciting on the team these first three games, was Franzen... and now he's out atleast 4 months.

I jinxed the crap out of that thing.

Old
10-10-2009, 08:23 AM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Quote:
80 points for those two would be poor, really poor.
I said at least 80 because thats guranteed. They should definently should get more than that but its not a sure thing.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wingman View Post
Honestly, I think some of your comments are true but for you to say that you started following the team because of Lidstrom, it seems a little contradictory because he's probably the least "exciting" great player of the last 20 years.

I know it's just the beginning of the season and they're still sorting out the lines, but the first period of last nights game against the Caps was very boring hockey, I think I saw Datsyuk yawn before a faceoff.

I agree that Mule was by far the most exciting player through the first 3 games, just look at his shot totals. His injury is a huge bummer for Wings fans. Filppula needs a sniper on his wing, with every game it becomes more obvious that he's a very good player that simply has no sense of how to drive the net and shoot, it's a real shame.

I had really high hopas for Lidstrom, that's why I followed him. And during his peak I really did find him exciting. How he could go several games without making a single mistake, how he shut anyone he was up against down, while getting a buttload of points.

Old
10-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Nordic*

We should trade for Avery, he brings alot and is exciting as hell

Leino for Avery?

Old
10-11-2009, 07:47 PM
RedLeader

Quote:
We should trade for Avery, he brings alot and is exciting as hell

Leino for Avery?
Is this a serious question? Avery takes more stupid penalites than anyone, given away due him being a locker room cancer. 2million cap hit and that's only because Dallas pays the other 2million. For Leino? One of our most promising young forwards who experts like Darren Dreger argued could win the calder this year.

I hope that wasn't serious

Old
10-12-2009, 01:10 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Is this a serious question? Avery takes more stupid penalites than anyone, given away due him being a locker room cancer. 2million cap hit and that's only because Dallas pays the other 2million. For Leino? One of our most promising young forwards who experts like Darren Dreger argued could win the calder this year.

I hope that wasn't serious
Young? Isn't Leino like 27 years old?

And yes, I was serious - Detroit needs some intensity, something Leino certainly don't bring.

Old
10-12-2009, 01:31 AM
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.

Quote:

And yes, I was serious - Detroit needs some intensity, something Leino certainly don't bring.
Take your national pride and hatred for Finns elsewhere, it's pathetic and annoying now.

Old
10-12-2009, 04:12 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsyuk View Post
Take your national pride and hatred for Finns elsewhere, it's pathetic and annoying now.
I like Filppula, how do you respond to that?

Old
10-12-2009, 01:50 PM
hexrae

vCash: 50
Quote:
4 seasons in, he's essentially an honourary Swede

hexrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 02:47 AM
Kiddington

Derek Meech is still here. That's enough excitement.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 04:15 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
4 seasons in, he's essentially an honourary Swede
I actually liked him from the get go.....you know....as much as you could like a damn finn

Old
10-13-2009, 01:27 PM
DarkReign

Ive learned my lesson from the past two years.

When I watch sports (any sport), I usually do with a crowd of friends and family. When I start dogging people, they start doing well.

Its common for my friends to ask me to start dogging someone because its likely they'll shut me up in no time.

I havent liked Flip in...well, since he signed his new deal. He shut me up last year in the playoffs coming off a less-than-stellar regular season.

Same with Osgood....even Maltby and Draper, my two favorite whipping boys, are starting to shut me up.

No. I have had only one criticism of the Wings since 2003.

Too weak in the physicality department. It cost them in the playoffs from 2003-2006. Not long, but long enough.

They never fixed it (its my opinion, not a problem), but have had great success without it being a focus until playoff time. Suddenly, everyone and their mother hits, Stuart becomes a damn good defensemen who plays both sides of the puck (like he has the past two games) and Osgood is a rock solid wall of goaltending confidence.

No...I'll reserve my judgement of this team until the 20 game mark, thank you. Ive been wrong far too often to een claim I know what I am talking about anymore.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.

Quote:
Doesn't go against your numerous anti-Finn posts. Where you clearly state that as a downfall to certain players. Whether they be in good humour or not, your opinion is clearly clouded by such beliefs, resulting in clearly biased posts against Leino. Get over it. He's good.

Old
10-14-2009, 06:56 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsyuk View Post
Doesn't go against your numerous anti-Finn posts. Where you clearly state that as a downfall to certain players. Whether they be in good humour or not, your opinion is clearly clouded by such beliefs, resulting in clearly biased posts against Leino. Get over it. He's good.

There is a certain love/hate relationship between swedes are finns. When in the national team, I wish for them all to crash and burn, outside that (SEL/NHL) I have no problem with the majority of them.

I love Flip, Numminen, N.Koivu, Karalahti, T.Ruutu, Kapanen and many more.

I don't like Leino, Ruutu and a couple of more players - that's it. When I do make fun of other Finns it's in good humour, nothing else. Well, perhaps there's a tad of underlying hatred, but that's to expect...I mean...they're finns for gods sake

I just find Leino overrated. I also find Rafalski & Abdelkader overrated, but when I mention their names noone reacts with "You hate all canadians and americans".

--------------------------------------------------------------

Btw, you still don't think the future looks bleak for this team, and that they have become boring? Or am I not allowed to make that statement if I'm a fan?

Old
10-14-2009, 07:57 AM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Jiri Hudler will be a 90 point player when he finally bulks up enough in 4-5 years? And I can see Filpulla being a 60-75 point 2 way center and Leino with similar production.

And this thread is way too premature. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are still getting adjusted to the new season, don't be surprised when they both notch at least 80 points and hopefully 90.
I think a lot of folks have their eyes clouded by Franzen's late emergence. Players who find their game when they're 25+ years old are few and far between.

I was going to post a thread yesterday about how the Wings future is lacking compared to pretty much every team in the NHL, and seriously lagging behind a good 20 teams in the NHL, but after this big loss, it would be written off as a reactionary thread, and I want to open a serious discussion. Regardless of how much Wings fans overrate the Wings drafting, it hasn't produced a legit top 6 forward in 6 years.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:26 AM
detredWINgs

Quote:

Leino is 26, Filppula is 25, Ericsson is 25, Howard is 25.

Meanwhile, our biggest division rival has 11 players under the age of 23 - 5 of which are forwards that have already had offensive seasons better than Filppula's or Leino's, and 2 of which are defenseman that are both already better than Ericsson (significantly so, in one case).

Then theres Nashville, whos entire top pairing on defense is under 25, and yet is heads and shoulders better than Ericsson (some might say Kronwall, too).

Columbus' best player is 25 years old - not 30 or 39, and their current #1 center scored more points as a 21 year old than Filppula scored as a 22 year old in 42 fewer games. They also have a 22 year old who doesn't look out of place playing Top 3 minutes on the back end. Then theres Voracek whos already outpacing both Hudler and Filppula, given his performance at just 19 years of age.

And of course, St. Louis. Perron, at 21, has already broken 50 points. Backes scored 30+ goals as a 24 year old. Oshie, 22, had nearly 40 points, despite only playing 50-some games. Berglund scored 20+ goals at just 20 years of age, and then of course theres the already solid Johnson on the backend at 19.

Now, am I happy that the Wings are only lagging behind the competition because of years of dominance? Of course. And I'd never trade that for a handful of exciting kids. My beef, however, is with the way some Wings fans carry on as though (and I hear this comment made all the time) "the future looks bright." No. Our future does not look bright. We haven't produced a top 6 forward since Zetterberg. Ericsson, at 25 years of age, still looks like a weak argument for a Top 4 defenseman. Leino, and Filppula, while looking better, still aren't displaying anywhere near the skills that Datsyuk and Zetterberg did when they were rookies. Meanwhile, Abdelkader and Helm are nothing more than grinders, at or nearing 22 years of age.

In short, the Wings drafting suffers from high expectations (mainly due to the hype of Zetterberg and Datsyuk) that it just can't meet. They're good at finding NHL talent in the latter rounds, but they aren't pulling rabbits out of hats anymore. We might get meddling 2nd/3rd line forwards, and we might get grinders and bottom-pairing D galore, but this is not a team who is going to be carried by young talents any time soon.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote