HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

i will get mocked for saying this but.....

Old
10-09-2009, 06:14 AM
Chrisd

vCash: 500
i will get mocked for saying this but.....

Wild are a mikko or havlat injury away from being a bottom 3 team in the nhl, lots of teams have big time passed them up with young talent emerging and not so much on our team.

With gaborik gone, bouchard having headaches and a blah offense which isn't that young with guys like (brunette, sykora, nolan) ........

What we might need most is to have a year where we totally SUCK!!!! and get a player such as Seguin or Taylor Hall. We need a young franchise player. I'm sorry, cuma and leddy are nice but they are 2nd pairing type D men, and we have no legit forward prospects worthy of top line pairings.

Wild are closer to rebuilding than contending....i hate to say it. Don't be shocked when this season ends and we are picking top 5. In fact it may be for the best...

Chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 09:49 AM
WILDTATE10

vCash: 50
i do agree. it could be a long year for us and a year to stock up our prospect system.

but its to early to be calling Cuma and Leddy nothing better then a second pairing. you can never predict something like that. they had to have seem something pretty special in leddy to have drafted him as high as we did compared to where he was ranked.

WILDTATE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 11:32 AM
vitogor

I think it's too early to talk about tanking after 3 games Obviously, this team is still work in progress. But I loved some of the things that I saw from the Wild. In the Columbus game - the last ten minutes or so. I don't remember ever seeing the Wild put that kind of sustained pressure on the opponent, for that long of a stretch. It almost felt like the end of a playoff game. The comeback against the Ducks was great, as was the second period against the Kings. Hopefully this team can learn to play like that BEFORE they fall behind by 3 goals

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 03:48 PM
BigT2002

Um....how? We didn't have Havlat at all last year and Gaborik was gone 95% of the season as well. Koivu only played 57 games the year before and we did alright as well. Bouchard is nothing without a heavy shooter (Rolston) on his line and that has been proven since his departure as well. Our defense needs to play a lot better and our goalies BOTH need to step it up a notch. We are scoring a lot more than we did last year, but we are giving up more goals than we did as well. Fact is this. Koivu isn't the scorer on the team. Last year Nolan and Bruno stepped it up a lot to help win these games. Now its time for the 2-way players (Clutterbuck) to show people why they bought their jersey.

Don't get it twisted though, LA is going to make the playoffs this year and will probably give San Jose a run for their money on the division as well.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 06:30 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
The Wild seem to be in the same spot the Kings were a few years ago, having not enough, of really anything besides really good goaltending. Risebrough didn't draft good enough. Just like when he was in Florida.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 07:35 PM
nspeen

I honestly agree. If we lose that line we won't have much for offense.

nspeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 04:25 AM
Cornelius Brover
Hit the open net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisd View Post
Wild are a mikko or havlat injury away from being a bottom 3 team in the nhl, lots of teams have big time passed them up with young talent emerging and not so much on our team.
Wild are closer to rebuilding than contending....i hate to say it. Don't be shocked when this season ends and we are picking top 5. In fact it may be for the best...
So you're saying the Wild are a much worse team without one of their two best players . Gotcha , the parity in the NHL is at a level it hasn't been before and yes , you're one injury away from playoff contenders to lottery pick. The team is young , Koivu , Havlat , Backstrom and Burns will stay for the next 4-5 years and with smart drafting the Wild will be good.

What if Avalanche lose Stastny, or Flames lose Iginla or Canucks Luongo...they won't be that good ..I guarantee

Cornelius Brover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 07:56 AM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
I agree in theory. Having a "totally SUCK" year or two is a sure way to build a Cup contender. (eg. Pittsburgh, Washington) ... In that respect we were robbed by Lemaire who always kept the team competitive. However, as a season ticket holder I don't know if I can sit through game after game of losing hockey.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 11:01 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The Wild seem to be in the same spot the Kings were a few years ago, having not enough, of really anything besides really good goaltending. Risebrough didn't draft good enough. Just like when he was in Florida.
That is actually a really good assessment. Sometimes I still wonder what this team could of been like if we would of traded Gaborik in 2006 and didn't lose O'Sullivan and kept our draft pick that year. We probably wouldn't of won the division, but we may have been better in the long run. And yes, DR screwed us hardcore because he played for UFA's more than he did drafting. Its like being a Yankee or Cowboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspeen View Post
I honestly agree. If we lose that line we won't have much for offense.
How? Nolan held his own pretty well last year don't you think? The more we all rely on one player (Havlat) to light it up, the more disappointed most of you are going to feel if he does go out. Koivu leaving destroys us at center considering the only other proven person is a player a majority of fans would rather see us trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a79krgm View Post
I agree in theory. Having a "totally SUCK" year or two is a sure way to build a Cup contender. (eg. Pittsburgh, Washington) ... In that respect we were robbed by Lemaire who always kept the team competitive. However, as a season ticket holder I don't know if I can sit through game after game of losing hockey.
As a STH as well, I can tell you that I don't want us to do that anyways. One, its a cheesy way to have to do in order to contend. Tampa Bay actually gets my pick as being the worst though. And keep in mind, if we would of lost all those games that Gaborik helped us win at the end of the year....we probably would of been a lottery pick. Two, as a very avid fan of the Wild, I never want to see these guys lose night after night. I've watched that in Atlanta and you could def. tell it was getting to the better players.

But we all need to keep in mind, and as I've said before, this is still a rebuilding year and for anyone to expect we even make the playoffs is a pretty lofty dream. New GM. New Coach. New Players. New System. So much has changed in a short amount of time that you can't expect everyone to just jump on board with it. Even Richards was getting pissed during the preseason because when the team was getting pushed they fell back into the trap system and only sent one forechecker into the boards.....you have to relearn hockey basically. Give this two or three years and it'll work itself out.

Old
10-10-2009, 05:51 PM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
Quote:
Originally Posted by a79krgm View Post
Wash and Pitt got very lucky with their players. Columbus has been bad for some time, and they have Nash and thats about it for superstars out of their drafts.

We are are making a huge turn this year. At time this team looks unstoppable, few and far inbetween right now. It will come around. No way we are a bottom 3. Maybe if Backstrom tanks it, Koivu and Havlat get hurt and Bruuno and Nolan decide to collect SSI instead of playing hockey. But thats true for any team.

Getting a top pick is only half the battle. You still have to choose the right player. One big problem the wild have had. How mnay players drafted past the first ever made the team? O'Sullivan was a 2nd but never played here, Jones too. Schultz, Harding and Clutterbuck are the only three i can think of off hand.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 07:52 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
Wash and Pitt got very lucky with their players. Columbus has been bad for some time, and they have Nash and thats about it for superstars out of their drafts.

We are are making a huge turn this year. At time this team looks unstoppable, few and far inbetween right now. It will come around. No way we are a bottom 3. Maybe if Backstrom tanks it, Koivu and Havlat get hurt and Bruuno and Nolan decide to collect SSI instead of playing hockey. But thats true for any team.

Getting a top pick is only half the battle. You still have to choose the right player. One big problem the wild have had. How mnay players drafted past the first ever made the team? O'Sullivan was a 2nd but never played here, Jones too. Schultz, Harding and Clutterbuck are the only three i can think of off hand.
Good point. Also. How many 1st rounders have made it as well? And of those who made it, how many would still be on a farm team if they were playing for Philly or even Carolina?

Old
10-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Red Alberks

Well Clutterbuck and Sykora are now out with injuries.

I agree with the OP. We are going to struggle this year. I could see us with a top 5 pick in this years draft.

Red Alberks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 01:30 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

And I got bashed for saying this a few times over the years. *sighs*

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Teppo

AJ Thelen + Benoit Poulliot are killing the Wild. Those were two mistakes that are having MAJOR impacts today.

Teppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 02:23 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teppo View Post
AJ Thelen + Benoit Poulliot are killing the Wild. Those were two mistakes that are having MAJOR impacts today.
More like, Kassian, Fiala, Voloshenko, O'Sullivan trade is killing the Wild.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 12:48 PM
MN_Gopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
More like, Kassian, Fiala, Voloshenko, O'Sullivan trade is killing the Wild.
Don't forget losing a 1st for Demo along with O'Sullivan;

Old
10-14-2009, 12:51 PM
MN_Gopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teppo View Post
That happens to every team. Wasn't Brule, Skille, Tukonen, Durbyk and a few other never see the NHL guys drafted right around those two.

Old
10-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Chrisd

its okay

the wild are gonna suck so bad this year they cant possibly biff the draft.

taylor hall, seguin, kabanov...or bust.

Old
10-15-2009, 12:24 AM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Alberks View Post
Well Clutterbuck and Sykora are now out with injuries.

I agree with the OP. We are going to struggle this year. I could see us with a top 5 pick in this years draft.
What is wrong with Sykora?

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 12:32 AM
Chrisd

sykoras groin hurts....wahhh

Old
11-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Scouter

vCash: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisd View Post

With gaborik gone, bouchard having headaches and a blah offense which isn't that young with guys like (brunette, sykora, nolan) ........

What we might need most is to have a year where we totally SUCK!!!! and get a player such as Seguin or Taylor Hall. We need a young franchise player. I'm sorry, cuma and leddy are nice but they are 2nd pairing type D men, and we have no legit forward prospects worthy of top line pairings.

You also have Sheppard and Pouliot.

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 04:50 PM
LadyByngJeanRatelle

havlat is killing my fantasy team...

LadyByngJeanRatelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2009, 12:23 AM
Wildlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
What is wrong with Sykora?
Injured a lot. Plus, he's only a quick fix when he's in too. Not a long term investment.

Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote