HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

05' Goalie?

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2004, 06:52 AM
charliemurphy

vCash: 500
05' Goalie?

Just wanted to try and start a thread on who might be in net for the Rangers in 05'. If there is an 05' season.
Pending the new CBA, I'm sure Sather is going to go looking for a FA Goalie.
I'm all for eating Mike Dunham's contract and getting him out of here.
Not that I believe anything that Newsday prints, but last week I read an article saying that Sather has plans to approach Khabibulin (pending the success of Tampa's post-season) and Biron about the job.
I'm all for having a solid goalie in net while this team is rebuilding. But it should not a big contract signing. LebarberaLundqvist or Blackburn Are they ready? When will they be ready? Valiquette? Mclennan? Discuss.

Old
04-08-2004, 09:27 AM
allrevvedup25

If we were to get Biron, it would be for a few years because he is relatively still young at the age of 27. I wouldn't mind bring him in. I have always liked his style and can be the guy. He almost got the Sabres into the playoffs. I have liked him ever since he played for the Hull Olympiques (now Gatineau) of the QMJHL.

Old
04-08-2004, 11:45 AM
Sather Hater

If Blackburn is going to be healthy by the start of next season (if there is a season), and if Lundvquist is going to be here, I don't think Sather should bother with any free agent signings. He's done that too many times in the past and filled the roster up with veterans before training camp evens starts. Why not let the kids compete for the job in goal, like they will be everywhere else on the roster? Biron is fairly young though, and I wouldn't be opposed to having him on the team, but we would most likely have to give Buffalo too much to get him.

Old
04-08-2004, 11:53 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sather Hater
If Blackburn is going to be healthy by the start of next season (if there is a season), and if Lundvquist is going to be here, I don't think Sather should bother with any free agent signings.
Playing Blackburn with the Rangers next season, especially to start the season could be disasterous, for both the team and the kid.

Even before his lost season this year he needed to go down and play 50+ games in Hartford, regain some confidence and also to work on some things technically.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:03 PM
Sather Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Playing Blackburn with the Rangers next season, especially to start the season could be disasterous, for both the team and the kid.

Even before his lost season this year he needed to go down and play 50+ games in Hartford, regain some confidence and also to work on some things technically.
If he is healthy enough, I don't see any problems with him staying with the big club splittting time with someone. Being a former goalie myself, I don't really believe the goalie "needs more time in the minors to develop than any other position" theory. Most teams keep there young goalie prospect in the minors as long as possible because every team in the NHL has a bonafide #1 goalie, so there is no need to have the youngster rotting away on the bench. He already has some NHL experience and played pretty well actually. Alot of people talk like he he got shelled every game and needed to play in the minors for awhile but he stole many points for the team by himself, and proved he can play in this league.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:07 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
If he is healthy enough, I don't see any problems with him staying with the big club splittting time with someone. Being a former goalie myself, I don't really believe the goalie "needs more time in the minors to develop than any other position" theory. Most teams keep there young goalie prospect in the minors as long as possible because every team in the NHL has a bonafide #1 goalie, so there is no need to have the youngster rotting away on the bench. He already has some NHL experience and played pretty well actually. Alot of people talk like he he got shelled every game and needed to play in the minors for awhile but he stole many points for the team by himself, and proved he can play in this league.
He needs to work on things technically. You can do that playing in the AHL, where winning and losing is not quite life and death. You can't be going into NHL games and be trying to work on improvements, it's a receipe for disaster.

Blackburn didn't get shelled every game, but he didn't "steal" many points for the Rangers either.

The only reason Blackburn should be starting for the Rangers next fall is to assure the team has a good chance at Sidney Crosby.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:10 PM
xevious

Blackburn hasn't played a game (nevermind an NHL game) in A YEAR. No way he starts (or backs up) in NY next season.
Let him find his game in Hartford, then determine if he's ready.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:20 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
He needs to work on things technically. You can do that playing in the AHL, where winning and losing is not quite life and death. You can't be going into NHL games and be trying to work on improvements, it's a receipe for disaster.

Blackburn didn't get shelled every game, but he didn't "steal" many points for the Rangers either.

The only reason Blackburn should be starting for the Rangers next fall is to assure the team has a good chance at Sidney Crosby.
The kid was 18 and 19 yrs old John!!!

What did you want from a kid playing behind a team w/swiss cheese defense infront of him and forcing the kid to play 17 straight games???

The kid has proven to be very focused and the mental toughness required of a #1 goalie, especially in NY is there.

He battles and although he lost a key yr of developmental time he will be a very good #1 in this league.

He should be in the AHL next yr to get 55 starts or so and get his timing back but if he were to be on the big club it wouldn't be a recipe to get Crosby as you say.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:27 PM
Sather Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by xevious
Blackburn hasn't played a game (nevermind an NHL game) in A YEAR. No way he starts (or backs up) in NY next season.
Let him find his game in Hartford, then determine if he's ready.
It's not like he won't see some pucks before he steps on the ice for the first game. If his shoulder heals soon, he can attend the prospect camp, then training camp, pre-season, etc. Obviously things would have been better if started last year in Hartford and saw alot of playing time, when we thought Dunham was gonna be the #1. But if the season rolls around and Blackburn has been the best player on the ice throughout training camp, pre-season, etc, I think he deserves a shot to stay and play for the big club. Especially with the rebuilding situation the Rangers are currently in (it's doubtful they're gonna be challenging for the President's Trophy and the Cup next year).

Last edited by Sather Hater: 04-08-2004 at 12:30 PM.
Old
04-08-2004, 12:28 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
The kid was 18 and 19 yrs old John!!!

What did you want from a kid playing behind a team w/swiss cheese defense infront of him and forcing the kid to play 17 straight games???

The kid has proven to be very focused and the mental toughness required of a #1 goalie, especially in NY is there.

He battles and although he lost a key yr of developmental time he will be a very good #1 in this league.

He should be in the AHL next yr to get 55 starts or so and get his timing back but if he were to be on the big club it wouldn't be a recipe to get Crosby as you say.
I agree with everything you said except for the last line.

The Rangers handling of the kid has been awful to this point. Playing him in NY, with a team that will likely be far weaker that the one he played behind 2 years ago would be a HUGE HUGE mistake.

I'm not positive that he'll be a very good #1 in this league in years to come. I do believe he has the ability, but if he's not handled correctly then I highly doubt he'll come close to living up to his potential.

Ideal situation would be for him to play 50-60 games in Hartford next year. Then depending on his development and the Rangers status in goal, either bring him up to NY the following year and have him play 20-30 games or play another full season in Hartford.

Better to have the kid wait until he's 23-24 to become a full time NHL goalie than to force him again at 21 and possibly ruin the kid.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:31 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Obviously things would have been better if started last year in Hartford and saw alot of playing time, when we thought Dunham was gonna be the #1, but if the season rolls around and Blackburn has been the best player on the ice throughout training camp, pre-season, etc, I think he deserves a shot to stay and play for the big club.
What is better for the Rangers long-term:

Getting a few extra points next year to try and grab an 8th playoff spot or developing what you heop to be your franchise goalie the correct way.

If the Rangers want to rebuild the correct way, Blackburn's development should far outweigh a few extra points in the standing for the rangers next year.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:56 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

While I agree that Blackburn should not start with the Rangers next year (end possibly but not start), you are wrong about him not getting shelled or stealing points. Ask Montreal fans about Blackburn stealing points. He did it twice against the Habs. As far as not getting shelled, what Ranger goalie hasn't been shelled over the last three or four seasons? Blackburn went from playing once every two weeks (if he was lucky) to being thrown to the wolves without a viable back-up for 18 straight games. And behind the Ranger defense that is a harrowing if not unfair experience.

04-08-2004, 01:02 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
While I agree that Blackburn should not start with the Rangers next year (end possibly but not start), you are wrong about him not getting shelled or stealing points. Ask Montreal fans about Blackburn stealing points. He did it twice against the Habs. As far as not getting shelled, what Ranger goalie hasn't been shelled over the last three or four seasons?
Agreed, I said he did not get shelled every night.

I also said that he didn't steal many points, not that he never stole a point for the Rangers.

IMO for the most part he played like a mediocre back-up goalie. That's to be expected he's a young kid.

Dipietro at 23 is just starting to become a #1 NHL goalie.
Luongo is now 25, and it took him until 23-34 to become a number 1 goalie.

Goalies, like power forwards generally take longer to develop, give the kid sometime.

Old
04-08-2004, 02:18 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I have to agree with John that Blackburn should not start next year, at least from the beginning, for a couple of reasons:

1. The Rangers are pretty much set to be a poor team next year, defensively (no matter how good Tyutin and Poeck end up being), and they'll probably give up a lot of shots and chances against.

2. Blackburn is coming back, not just from an injury, but from being out for a whole year, a year of almost total inactivity on one arm.

This adds up to a guy who is likely not going to be in game-playing shape start off the season. No matter how hard he works out, the only way for him to develop his timing is by playing. The AHL is still tough, but he won't be facing Joe Sakic or Ilya Kovalchuk, who have the ability to cause a goalie to hurt himself by trying too much. Plus, he'll be on a winning team down there, which can only do good for a young goalie's confidence.

That said, the door shouldn't be shut for him if he really shows up at training camp.

Old
04-08-2004, 04:26 PM
NYR2

I'm all for Dan spending some time in Hartford. He was going to be there this season so he might as well go there next season, at least for a little while.

If we want Crosby, you gotta play Dunham.

Old
04-08-2004, 05:12 PM
Fletch

The AHL may be best for Blackie...

he needs to get back into things, and the AHL would be good for him, I believe. He's a hard worker and will get back to where he was, but he needs to hone his skills better. While I don't think you can ask for much more than he's given in the NHL thus far, but I don't recall significant improvement from his first year to his second. He was thrown to the wolves in a sense and he's salvageable. He's young, determined and a hard worker. He just needs to regain and hone his skills.

Closed Thread