HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Starting Ice Hockey (Goaltending)

Old
10-09-2009, 02:36 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Starting Ice Hockey (Goaltending)

Hey guys,

I was never put into organized ice hockey when I was younger because my family was not well off enough to put me into it. I'm now 20 and I'm looking to have some fun and learn to skate better, acquire goaltending gear etc.

So what I need to know is some of the better goalie skates to buy.
Websites or any resources on stretching for increasing flexibility and strength needed for ice hockey goaltending.
Maybe some exercises to improve lateral movement and position in the net.

Any advice would be appreciated.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

learn how to skate real well with player skates then get your goalie skates on

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 02:45 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

http://www.amazon.com/Hockey-Goalten.../dp/0880117915

That is, in my opinion, a very good book on the subject. They have it in bookstores here in Florida, so I have no doubt they'll have it in bookstores up there.

As far as skates, I absolutely love my Grafs. The only other pair I had were some cheap Koho skates--i did not like them that much. If you don't mind spending a decent amount on skates, I would definitely recommend Grafs.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 02:51 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Hockey-Goalten.../dp/0880117915

That is, in my opinion, a very good book on the subject. They have it in bookstores here in Florida, so I have no doubt they'll have it in bookstores up there.

As far as skates, I absolutely love my Grafs. The only other pair I had were some cheap Koho skates--i did not like them that much. If you don't mind spending a decent amount on skates, I would definitely recommend Grafs.
Money is no object for the skates, since half of them are going to be paid as my christmas gift this year.

And to the poster above you, is it clearly that important to buy player skates, learn with them before learning on goalie skates? Just because I'm not exactly rich and buying two pairs of skates would be a big dent in my pocket, considering I have to buy the rest of my goaltending equipment as well. (I have the pads, glove and blocker thus far, got a good deal on RBK 6k's)

Old
10-10-2009, 08:51 AM
DevsFan84

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Money is no object for the skates, since half of them are going to be paid as my christmas gift this year.

And to the poster above you, is it clearly that important to buy player skates, learn with them before learning on goalie skates? Just because I'm not exactly rich and buying two pairs of skates would be a big dent in my pocket, considering I have to buy the rest of my goaltending equipment as well. (I have the pads, glove and blocker thus far, got a good deal on RBK 6k's)
I completely disagree with learning on player skates. It is very different to skate on player and goalie skates. If you're going to be a goalie, get goalie skates and practice on them.

You need to find what skates fit you properly. Those are the ones you should buy, not the most expensive ones or whatever. If you have a LHS, you should check them out and try on as many different kinds as possible.

Do not skimp on your cup or your helmet. The cup is relatively cheap, the helmet wil cost you a few bills. Its worth it.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 08:01 PM
willyjagr

Send a message via MSN to willyjagr
The only problem with the Brian Daccord book is that it is highly outdated with regards to the technique that is now being taught. With regards to learning your best bet for it would be getting the new Future pro dvd which is done by Steve McKichan(former Leafs goalie coach) which regardless of if you are only beginning or an advance goalie will help you. But words of wisdom with regards to attempting to bring new elements into your game, it will take time as well don't attempt to try and bring in too many new things as it will just overwhelm you. Also another good resource to look at will be the goaliestore bulletin board.

With regards to skates the grafs are always a good choice either being the G50 or the 750 and then their senior version which is the 650 if you can't afford the pro ones but still want a good skate. The only thing with the grafs is that the achilles tendon guard does usually rip within a few months but the skates will still be fine without it. But with regards to skates always get them fitted properly. Yes ebay and online the prices might be better but the trade off is that unless you actually have worn the skates and know what size and fit you want it is better to be fitted in store and buy from there. Plus with buying locally you will get better service with regards to if there are any problems that arise with the skates as well they will be able to heat mold the skates for you which will help with both the fit but also with reducing the break in period. Another thing that I recommend is also buying some superfeet for your skates as pretty much all insoles for skates that come stock are crap.

Also with equipment I would recommend getting the best mask that you can possible afford. Yes most of masks in stores are CSA approved but there is a huge differences between say like a Reebok 3k/Bauer 2500 or 1400 mask versus a Bauer Nme 9 or Bauer 960. At minimum I would recommend that you get a Bauer Nme 7 or something equal to it regardless of what level you play.

willyjagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 02:05 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
It sounds like you haven't bought a chest protector yet. When you do, I find that arm protection is where you should really focus. They all protect your heart and ribs pretty well in my opinion. The difference between good and bad coverage on the arms will really make a difference in how much you enjoy the game. I have an old Itech C/A, and the amount of bruises and stingers I pick up really takes some of the fun out of the game sometimes.

Other than that, I would say take advantage of open hockey and stick time to learn in a pressure free environment, and don't put any undue pressure on yourself. It is easy to get discouraged at first. It can be more work than fun in the beginning if/when you aren't making a lot of saves. The learning curve in goal is kind of steep, particularly if you're new to skating.
And the only other thing I would say is that you can never underestimate the importance of skating and a good stance. If you get those two things down, making the saves will feel far easier.

Good Luck and have lots of fun.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 10-11-2009 at 02:45 AM. Reason: spelling errors, I'm nit picky.
Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Slot 3
exitus acta probat

http://www.amazon.ca/Hockey-Goalies-...5401646&sr=8-4

I realise that, as with the Daccord book, it's a little out-dated. However, I found that much of the basics taught were extremely helpful.

Slot 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Cashew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
Don't do this.

Cashew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 04:09 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:

Im not a goalie, but having "tried" it, i dont think that is a good idea.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 09:12 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Don't worry, I did not take that guys advice. I bought goalie skates, little awkward on them right now, but that's for not skating in many years.

Old
10-18-2009, 10:52 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

well you wont be able to skate in player skates when you get off goalie skates and you will be worse off, most goalies dont learn to skate on goalie skates

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 11:31 PM
DevsFan84

Quote:
Don't worry, I did not take that guys advice. I bought goalie skates, little awkward on them right now, but that's for not skating in many years.
There is also no high ankle support and a flat blade to deal with that you (i assume) have never skated with before. Its going to take some time getting used to.

Once you have your balance and are comfortable enough to skate around, I would suggest spending less time skating around in circles on those skates when you're on the ice and more time working on t-pushes and other lateral movement that you'll need a lot more playing goal.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 08:15 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan84 View Post
There is also no high ankle support and a flat blade to deal with that you (i assume) have never skated with before. Its going to take some time getting used to.

Once you have your balance and are comfortable enough to skate around, I would suggest spending less time skating around in circles on those skates when you're on the ice and more time working on t-pushes and other lateral movement that you'll need a lot more playing goal.
Yeah, well, luckily I have a pond that I can skate on in the winter. Where I'm going to skate now is a community skate, so there's not a lot of room to do t-pushes, c-cuts, shuffles etc. without bumping into a bunch of kids. So I'm going to use it to learn stops, starts, skating around and being comfortable on the goalie skates and once my pond freezes up, I'll be out there every day working on those types of lateral movements, butterfly slides etc.

Only hinge in my plan is when I go for a knee scope, could be recovering for 3 weeks in december, which sucks.

Old
10-19-2009, 01:30 PM
pfloyd75

Quote:
well you wont be able to skate in player skates when you get off goalie skates and you will be worse off, most goalies dont learn to skate on goalie skates
I learned how to skate on goalie skates and I have no problem switching back and forth between them and player skates depending on what position I am playing in any given game. Sure, its different, but its not a huge deal.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 01:35 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

My problem now is when skating, my ankles seem to only be able to support my balance on the inside edges. Doesn't seem my ankles are strong enough to keep me balanced and straight on the blade.

Old
10-21-2009, 01:37 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Hey guys,

I was never put into organized ice hockey when I was younger because my family was not well off enough to put me into it. I'm now 20 and I'm looking to have some fun and learn to skate better, acquire goaltending gear etc.

So what I need to know is some of the better goalie skates to buy.
Websites or any resources on stretching for increasing flexibility and strength needed for ice hockey goaltending.
Maybe some exercises to improve lateral movement and position in the net.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Ok, I have a section on my site that talks about positional play. This is the most important thing you can do first. The web site if free. Just sign up and get full access. Plus, I have a lot of goalie drills for you to use.

You can find it all here: http://www.passthepuck.net

Yes, it a shameless plug, but it's just another source for everyone to use and yes...it's free!

Head coach

10-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
My problem now is when skating, my ankles seem to only be able to support my balance on the inside edges. Doesn't seem my ankles are strong enough to keep me balanced and straight on the blade.

Make sure whoever is sharpening your goalie skates isn't giving you a 1/2" hollow. Your hollow should be shallow as to let you move laterally without having to pick up your feet and shuffle.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote