HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

What is Clouston doing?

Old
10-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Sureves

vCash: 500
What is Clouston doing?

Let me begin by saying at first I was a big advocate for Clouston and what he did to our team. However, after what he's done this season, he needs to figure some things out. I have a bad habit of writing blocks of texts so I'll try and keep it short.

Why is Erik Karlsson not getting ANY time in the offensive zone? Every time we have a faceoff in the offensive zone it is Chris "No Shot" Phillips, and Anton "Couldn't score if his life depended on it" Volchenkov. I understand these players should be on the ice for matchups and such, but Karlsson simply isn't being given any chance to actually demonstrate his ability in the offensive zone and is instead constantly on the ice in defensive zone faceoffs which highlights his negative attributes. I don't want to get into the discussion of whether or not Karlsson is NHL-ready or not, but regardless, Clouston should be working with him so he can contribute to the team by utilizing his strengths, and minimizing the time where his weaknesses are demonstrated. When Karlsson is on the ice in the offensive zone, he's a monster and when he's in the defensive zone he's a disaster; I don't see why Clouston doesn't see that.

Elaborating on that point, why is Karlsson not on our #1 PP unit? Sure, he's young, inexperienced etc. but the sad truth of the matter is, he is without a doubt our best: shot from the point, vision from the point, agile defenseman from the point (unless you include Shannon who is both injured and not a defenseman). When he is given his 25 seconds of remaining PP time on the SECOND PP unit, he dominates. Clouston should be investigating that and have Karlsson on the #1 PP by next practice to give him a shot. This would also allow Kovalev to not be on the point for the #1 PP and either assume the spot of Dany Heatley last year (read: beside the net) or to play on the 2nd unit.

Thirdly, this one is a little subjective, I don't see why the lines are as they are. I see no reason why Kovalev isn't playing with Spezza and Alfy. I know Alfy and Kovalev are both right wingers but that is not a valid excuse in today's NHL. There is no reason why players cannot play both sides and if you really care to argue about that, just ask Ovechkin. Having a line of Alfy, Kovalev and Spezza would be an incredible amount of firepower and would also allow a second line of Fisher Regin and Michalek, a line of INCREDIBLE speed, agility, and work ethic. Both lines would dominate. As for the third line, that leaves the leftovers of Shannon Cheechoo and Foligno, a very decent 3rd line grind-line with the ability to put the puck in the net.

Maybe I am missing something, anyone care to take a stab at why Clouston is insisting upon these ideas?

Sureves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 11:58 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
He's still a kid, give it time. They could either be bringing him along real slowly or Clouston just doesn't trust him at the moment. Actually, those are pretty much the same thing, and probably the case. They signed Kovalev to a massive deal, got to give him a chance to prove himself on that top unit.

I disagree with stacking the top line though. Kovalev has carried lines in the past and the whole point of bringing him in was to have the scoring be spread out.

Last edited by The Mars Volchenkov: 10-09-2009 at 12:29 PM.
The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 12:11 PM
SpezDispenser

The Erik Karlsson not being on the top PP unit astounded me. I have no idea why Clouston did that.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 12:24 PM
utah

Clouston strikes me as the type of guy, who makes strategic decisions with short and long term results in mind. The wisdom of his decisions may not reveal themselves, until a future date.

He might have a plan for Karlsson, that could involve focusing the kid to improve his play in areas where he is weak, as opposed to reinforcing the areas that he's good at.

As for line combos, Clouston is obviously tinkering....until he finds combinations that he's happy with. In the meantime, he's done a lot of good work in spreading around the ice-time, for the whole team. Nobody is painted to the bench ( except Donovan it seems ). Not sure why Donovan isn't getting any love from the coach, but he must have his reasons.

utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Iggy77

Karlsson has only played 3 games and is still getting used to the NHL.

Let's easy him in and not put too much on his plate.

Iggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 12:40 PM
The Chef*

Karlsson shouldn't even be in the NHL right now, the kid is being rushed and you want to rush him some more.

The Chef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Indy on the Road
Still near and dear

As long as the team continues playing at a 1.25+ point per game clip, I'll live with whatever decisions he makes that I deem questionable.

I'd put Kovalev on the RW with Spezza and Fisher and place Alfredsson with Regin and Michalek personally, but whatever, I'm no coach.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 01:06 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy77 View Post
Karlsson has only played 3 games and is still getting used to the NHL.

Let's easy him in and not put too much on his plate.
Agreed, but if there's one thing this kid excels at, it's manning the point on the PP. He's got a cannon and he's a slick passer. I can understand perhaps sheltering him 5 on 5, but I have to confess I'm confused that he's not front and center on PP1.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Macca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureves View Post
I see no reason why Kovalev isn't playing with Spezza and Alfy. I know Alfy and Kovalev are both right wingers but that is not a valid excuse in today's NHL. t.
I was at last night's game and players on the top two lines, especially Kovalev, were invisible. The chemistry just insn't there yet, but then again if Kovalev actually decides he wants to play hockey rather than float, the 2nd line might actually be able to produce. I'm sure Clouston will give the top two lines a few more games to get going before trying your suggestions. The problem with the Sens right now is they still are only a one line hockey team, but now it's the 4th line!

Macca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 02:05 PM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
Why is Erik Karlsson not getting ANY time in the offensive zone? Every time we have a faceoff in the offensive zone it is Chris "No Shot" Phillips, and Anton "Couldn't score if his life depended on it" Volchenkov. I understand these players should be on the ice for matchups and such, but Karlsson simply isn't being given any chance to actually demonstrate his ability in the offensive zone and is instead constantly on the ice in defensive zone faceoffs which highlights his negative attributes. I don't want to get into the discussion of whether or not Karlsson is NHL-ready or not, but regardless, Clouston should be working with him so he can contribute to the team by utilizing his strengths, and minimizing the time where his weaknesses are demonstrated. When Karlsson is on the ice in the offensive zone, he's a monster and when he's in the defensive zone he's a disaster; I don't see why Clouston doesn't see that.
When do teams ever put out D based on a faceoff being in the offensive zone? Unless it's a powerplay or the last couple minutes of a game you just put out whichever pairing that you would if the faceoff were in a different zone. I'm sure Clouston realizes that Karlsson is effective in the offensive zone, but during 5-5 play you don't force it.

Quote:
Elaborating on that point, why is Karlsson not on our #1 PP unit? Sure, he's young, inexperienced etc. but the sad truth of the matter is, he is without a doubt our best: shot from the point, vision from the point, agile defenseman from the point (unless you include Shannon who is both injured and not a defenseman). When he is given his 25 seconds of remaining PP time on the SECOND PP unit, he dominates. Clouston should be investigating that and have Karlsson on the #1 PP by next practice to give him a shot. This would also allow Kovalev to not be on the point for the #1 PP and either assume the spot of Dany Heatley last year (read: beside the net) or to play on the 2nd unit.
I agree that he should be on the PP. Campoli is not a quaterback. Karlsson is. I think we'll see him out there soon though.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 02:10 PM
PhysicalTorque

3 games into the season, and now we have someone saying: "What is Clouston doing?".

Love my Ottawa fans.

PhysicalTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Sureves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Stanley View Post
When do teams ever put out D based on a faceoff being in the offensive zone? Unless it's a powerplay or the last couple minutes of a game you just put out whichever pairing that you would if the faceoff were in a different zone. I'm sure Clouston realizes that Karlsson is effective in the offensive zone, but during 5-5 play you don't force it.
How about last game with 12 seconds left, a faceoff in the offensive zone, and Clouston puts out Phillips and Volchenkov instead of Karlsson...what benefit could that possibly have?

Sureves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Sensfanman

Quote:
How about last game with 12 seconds left, a faceoff in the offensive zone, and Clouston puts out Phillips and Volchenkov instead of Karlsson...what benefit could that possibly have?
Prevent a rush down the ice and scoring for the Islanders? Remember that Edmonton v Dallas game? Goals can come down the ice in under 6 seconds and why risk that? It's possible Karlsson would have gotten the puck and scored, but I guess Clouston is conservative when it comes to points. He went for a more sure 1 point than a possibly risky 2 points and still got 2 points out of it. I'm not complaining, he gets results!

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Juvenators
Valley boiiiiii

What is Clouston doing?

Winning us hockey games, apparently. I'll take what I can get.

Juvenators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Gil Gunderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigle FTW View Post
What is Clouston doing?

By one goal against the Leafs and the Islanders.

Gil Gunderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Juvenators
Valley boiiiiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwan553 View Post
Some will be pretty, some won't. A W is A W.

BTW, You're Nova's friend, aye?

Juvenators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 04:19 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigle FTW View Post
What is Clouston doing?

This.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Prattalot

In the Spezza/Neil thread there's a link to TSN where its said the top lines are being shuffled...

Quote:
Also on practice Friday, Cory Clouston switched up the first and second lines, by swapping Nick Foligno and Daniel Alfredsson, because there was "not enough production from our top two lines." Filip Kuba (upper body) did not skate with the team. Jesse Winchester and Ryan Shannon were both back on the ice, but neither is will play tomorrow. - TSN

Prattalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 04:28 PM
jeffsens11

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwan553 View Post
At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how but how many. Who cares how much we win by as long as we win and play well. Our lines clearly still need some time to gel but Leclaire has been great and our team is starting to come together. I love how we are 2-1 and sens fans still find a way to criticize

jeffsens11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Iggy77

The fact that we can win games with little scoring from our top 2 lines speaks volumes.
In the past, if the pizza line didn't score we were pretty much done.

Iggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 04:39 PM
HSF

3 games in and we already have threads like this?

We havent even had that many PP chances and the reason Phillips was on the ice for that last faceoff instead of karlsson is because Clouston was trying to secure atleast 1 pt. Karlsson isnt ready for "pressure" ice time near the end of the game, too risky and could cost us the game and his confidence.

As for Kovalev and Spezza? we could try it but two problems.... they both arent that great in their own zone and both like to have the puck therefore we are pretty much wasting one of their puck possession talents if we do put them together. Best to keep them apart and change their linemates around, it isnt like we have an abundant source of skilled playmakers on our team.

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Stassino

Volchenkov scores when he wants to.. His offensive abilities have been VASTLY under-rated.. He was the reason Canada lost (Leclaire in nets.. Spezzoo on the team too) scored the winner and another goal in the game (both shots from the point).

He's just been stuck in strictly shutdown roles for so long he focuses primarily on that..

Stassino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Gil Gunderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsens11 View Post
At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how but how many. Who cares how much we win by as long as we win and play well. Our lines clearly still need some time to gel but Leclaire has been great and our team is starting to come together. I love how we are 2-1 and sens fans still find a way to criticize
It's a discussion forum. People are allowed to discuss the team's performance.

Gil Gunderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Common SENS

I think most of that game we had the lead and in that case it's better to have your shutdown guys on the ice at the right time than your offensive defensemen.

as for the lines, i kind of know what you mean, but what he wants to put out next according to tsn which is this:

Michalek - Spezza - Foligno
Kovalev - Fisher - Alfredsson
Cheechoo - Shannon/Regin - Neil
Ruutu - Kelly/Winchester - Donovan

is much worse.

I'd like to see cheechoo be the third on the first line instead of michalek. not because i think cheechoo is better than michalek, but if scheechoo can just get back to being able to finish. that's all, just be in the right place at the right time to direct the rubber into the mesh., we'll be real strong.

the problem with alfredsson and spezza and kovalev on the same line, is that ya, that line will score alot, but if we get our combinations right we could maybe have 3 lines that score alot.

if cheechoo could workout on the top line, and right now he's on our third, then that frees up michalek for our second and we're that much stronger.

and cheech has done it before. he can shoot. or at least he could once upon a time.

i think we should let him try once again.

Common SENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Huston

With regards to Karlsson not being put into many offensive opportunities, is that there is only nine games to test him out. His offensive abilities are not in question with the coaching staff, it is his defensive play and must be tested.

For this test, from my point of view is a shaky one. It would be nice to have him focus on 1st PP unit and offensive jobs, however, if a breakaway occurs, will the puck carrier easily handle a much smaller and weaker Karlsson. So far Karlsson has been found wanting.

If Karlsson can develop to Lee's ability on defense for being a smaller guy, he can be an effective top pairing defenseman.

As for the Spezza line. I do have some issues with that. I do prefer Alfie to be on the second line and Kovalev on the first.

Huston is offline   Reply With Quote