HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Saturday October 10th, 2009, 7:00PM: Atlanta Thrashers @ Ottawa Senators (NO TV)

Old
10-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Cat Herder
Formerly BigSensFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalTorque View Post
lol, poor you, I heard about that, ''everything else is just a rant of angry fan against CBC''.

XD Now they pick how they read e-mails, buncha panzies, I hope they read mine.
LOL .. and what I wrote was not that angry sounding .. it was this
Quote:
Now a bit of a rant. CBC Stinks, they have exclusive rights to this game and they don’t even bother showing this game in the Ottawa region. It is not like they had to travel to Atlanta to broadcast it. IMO if they don’t show a game they have the rights to, then another station should get the opportunity to show. It.

Sens need to push harder to get the games broadcast in our region. Unfortunately it seems the CBC would rather show the “Truculent” Leafs or should I say hapless Leafs.

Cat Herder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 10:41 PM
PhysicalTorque

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSensFan View Post
LOL .. and what I wrote was not that angry sounding .. it was this
You said nothing offending, damn, I hope you win the composite stick. But the fact of the matter is, you must really suck up to eastie. Corruption!

I insulted the leafs in my email too, nothing too offending, called them the wussies.

PhysicalTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 10:42 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
No comments on Elliott?

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 10:44 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
No comments on Elliott?
He had a solid game. He made a few big saves, but IMO was never really tested.

The Kovalchuk goal would have gone in on anyone.

SilverSeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 10:47 PM
alxmrtl

Was at the game, some thoughts:
- I don't know where all the Picard hate is coming from. He and Carkner were both very solid tonight.
- Elliott was very solid, made a few game breaking saves with his right leg. Incredibly fast reaction.
- Regin again had a great game. He also seems to be getting more confident.
- Neil has had a renaissance. Very glad we kept him. Absolutely worth 2m a year.
- Kelly had his best game of the season.
- Spezza turned it on in the 3rd with dangle after dangle, it just didn't end up in the back of the net. I like the effort level and the defensive prowess.

Side note:
- I usually cringe when anybody but Lyndon sings the anthems, but the 13 year old girl who was singing today was crazy good.

alxmrtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Minister of Offence

Was at the game tonight, couple thoughts...

Passing was beginning to remind me of the Sens of old, lots of creative and confidence shown in the offensive zone at times. First time ive noticed this yet this season but Ive been watching on TV.

Fisher looked like he put it all together tonight. Didnt know about the Fisher Alfie Kovy line combo but I thought they looked pretty good. Alfies been looking great and Kovys leaving more to be desired, but get used to it.

I think Regins a gem. Top 6 forward talent and playing responsible. Hes exceeded my expectations fairly easily every game thus far.

On the fence about Karlsson, continues to show flashes but he is being outplayed in his own zone, everyone figured it would be like this. I think Bingo would be great for him to learn to play the physical game of north american hockey as opposed to in Europe.

Carkner continues his steady play. Keeping it simple...great to see from a guy with tons of question marks after he made the team. Looks driven to stay with this team and seems to be having fun.

I found Spezza was visible all game in a good way. No points again, but if he continues to play like that, itll come.

Volchenkov and Phillips like others have said, look like the old shutdown pair we used to know.

Elliott battled the puck a little at times but also made some very big stops. Our backup goaltending situation is fine.

Our forward depth was said to be one of our strengths going into this season, and its shaping up that way. Our 3rd and 4th lines are doing exactly what there supposed to do. Ruutu was a pest in the passing lanes, Neil continuing to earn as much of that 2 mil as he can. Dony's making a case to stick on that fourth line for good.

Lots to be encouraged about. And that has nothing to do with our record. Monday will be a good measuring stick.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 10:49 PM
enviro61

I thought Elliott played well. He did make one nice kick/toe save that was stellar.

Carkner rung one off the post, he has a better shot than I think most expected.

I'm getting bummed about Cheecho tbh but what can you do

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 10:50 PM
enviro61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestea View Post
Was at the game, some thoughts:
- I don't know where all the Picard hate is coming from. He and Carkner were both very solid tonight.
- Elliott was very solid, made a few game breaking saves with his right leg. Incredibly fast reaction.
- Regin again had a great game. He also seems to be getting more confident.
- Neil has had a renaissance. Very glad we kept him. Absolutely worth 2m a year.
- Kelly had his best game of the season.
- Spezza turned it on in the 3rd with dangle after dangle, it just didn't end up in the back of the net. I like the effort level and the defensive prowess.

Side note:
- I usually cringe when anybody but Lyndon sings the anthems, but the 13 year old girl who was singing today was crazy good.

agree on Kelly..he had an edge about him tonight

Old
10-10-2009, 10:50 PM
FlapJackKing
Ottawa Senators

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
He had a solid game. He made a few big saves, but IMO was never really tested.

The Kovalchuk goal would have gone in on anyone.
You're kidding right? It's not the number of big saves he makes...it's when he makes the big saves. Elliott make a couple of hhhuuuuggggeeee saves early when the game was still hanging in the balance. He made the huge saves when he needed and in my opinion was awesome. Don't sell the guy short...!

FlapJackKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 10:54 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

So from all accounts, Carkner continues his strong play.

If he plays well against Pittsburgh, I just may have to bump all the threads where people said he was a useless AHL player.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Indrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Lee View Post

If he plays well against Pittsburgh, I just may have to bump all the threads where people said he was a useless AHL player.
Please do. The haters will be too busy being pleasantly surprised to give a crap about you.

Happy to see Neil earning his paycheck for the first time in 3 years. Keep it up Chris, you've looked stellar.

Indrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Laoghaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Worst Poster View Post
Please do. The haters will be too busy being pleasantly surprised to give a crap about you.

Happy to see Neil earning his paycheck for the first time in 3 years. Keep it up Chris, you've looked stellar.
Says one of the haters.

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 11:03 PM
inthewings

Quote:

No reason to gloat about it. Those who doubted him had good reasons to do so, and are now pleasantly surprised.

inthewings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Samsquanch
Creep

Just got back from the game to the hotel, posting on my blackberry so Ill be brief.

-Spezza looked great, no points but looks ready to take his game to a new level. Michalek was good too.
-New top line was ok, got some points so cant really say anything neegative.
-Regin is fantastic. Where did this friggin guy come from?? (I know Denmark but he is a total diamond in the rough).
-Neil has to be one of my favourite players so far this year. Impossible to say his presence isnt felt by the opposing team.

Good game overall, was my cousins first game so worth the drive down for sure. Time to get ready and enjoy some nightlife Ottawa style!!!

Samsquanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 11:05 PM
enviro61

Quote:

After making a good play he made a cross iced pass that had bad mojo written all over it but the intercept failed and nothign came of it. He is not without fault. In the end, he will make fewer mistakes than most in part because he takes fewer chances than most.

Campoli is making Murray look bad

Old
10-10-2009, 11:12 PM
bdp

Any updates on Regin at all?

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 11:14 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoghaire View Post
Says one of the haters.
No kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
No reason to gloat about it.
Considering the verbal abuse he took (and I took for defending him), I have every reason to.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Back from the game. Too bad it wasn't broadcast cause it was a great game. I'm sure it was a better spectacle than seeing the Leafs get pummeled... again.

Positives:
-Fisher is a one man wrecking machine. He looked great with Alfi and Kovy. Althought I prefer the lines at the end of the game. Kovy with Spezza/Michalek, Foligno with Alfi/Ficher
-Michalek and Spezza did not score but the chemistry is starting to show. I hope Clouston keep Kovy with them for a while. Spezza needs a trigger man and it sure isn't Foligno who if going to convert all those sweet passes.
-Picard is making a case for himself. He looks a lot better than Campoli and Karlsson thus far. He makes a great 3rd pair with Carkner.
-Volche didn't hit any rookie but he leveled 2nd year pro Bogosian.
-How great is it to have two, count them, TWO good goaltenders? Elliott kept us in the game when the Trashers carried the play at the end of the first. He made one unbelievable glove save and another big one a bit later. Though I'm sure he'd like to have the Hainsey goal back.
-Our 4th line rocks. They keep things simple and manage to get scoring chances off of their relentless forechecking.
-Phillips is playing great too, he looks like the 2006-07 big rig.

Negatives:
-Campoli is invisible offensively and scary defensively. I'm sure he'd look better with Kuba.
-I could say the same about Karlsson. I think he would be better for him to play significant minute in the minors.
-Not a sellout but the crowd was great, and they did chant the name with Stuntman Stu after a goal. Well they did it after the Ruutu goal, that's for sure.

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 11:28 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

I was at the game tonight too & couldn't disagree more about Picard. He gave away the puck several times, couldn't hold the blueline & was shaky most of the game. Elliott played steady but not spectacular & could have used more help from his defence who left him out to dry several times, especially Karlsson who was beat again tonight several times going for the puck instead of the man. It will be interesting to see how our defence plays against a better team when Pittsburgh comes to town on Monday. Another great hit by Volchenkov on Bogosian. The Kovalev - Fisher - Alfredson line was very good tonight they had a lot of pressure on Atlanta all night.

Kovalev I thought played better tonight not just because he scored but he was much more engaged in the action, he almost got into a fight. Fisher played great again tonight, he pressured the puck all over the ice, scored a nice goal & made some great hits as did Neil. Kelly did have his best game of the year tonight he played almost as well as Fisher. Carkner dropped the gloves & went after Boulton & dropped him rather easily & quickly, he may have slipped. Carkner so far IMO could be the best addition to this team, he adds more toughness which allows everybody to play bigger & he has a decent shot from the point & plays a steady defensive game, not to fancy. Carkner winning fights just gives our team a boost afterwards & you can see our players more engaged when Carkner is on the ice. Michalek had a great night but didn't get rewarded for it, he was all over the ice as well pressuring the puck & played a great defensive game.

And speaking of fancy, Karlsson almost like Spezza tries things that cost him turn overs, he hasn't figured out yet that he is playing in the best league in the world, he needs to simplify his game. Whenever Campolli & Karlsson were on the ice it was shaky & seemed like Atlanta was pressuring & having chances on net. I would like to know if the Karlsson & Campolli tandem were on for the two Atlanta goals, they were getting beat a lot & easily pushed off the puck.

Spezza seems lost without his boyfriend, he made some nice dangles but wasn't all that effective. I don't know who Ottawa can put with this guy to improve his play, at $7 mil he is the one who should be making his linemates better. Phillips, Volchenkov, Carkner, Kovalev, Fisher, Neil, Kelly, Donovan, Regin, Ruutu, Michalek, Elliott & Alfredson had a good game. Picard, Karlsson, Campolli, Cheechoo, Spezza & Foligno didn't. This team still hasn't played their best hockey, they played well but there were lulls in each of the three periods & they blew another two goal lead. It was a better game than the Islander game which tells me they are slowly improving. We'll see how they play against Pittsburgh but I'm nervous Crosby & Malkin will really take advantage of our defence.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 11:32 PM
enviro61

I would also like to submit that Ottawa had the worst power play ever tonight. Of the 2 mins, maybe 1 min was played in our end and the other min was in disarray without mounting a single shot.

Old
10-10-2009, 11:39 PM
SilverSeven

Saying Spezza didnt have a good game is ludicrous.

He created a number of offensive chances and was great defensively.

SilverSeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 11:55 PM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heat is Gone View Post
Yep. Was that Alfie's son? Because they zoomed in on Alfie right after.

I thought everybody on our team played a great game.
I saw it on TSN the other day. Duthie said it was Joe Sacco's kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I was at the game tonight too & couldn't disagree more about Picard. He gave away the puck several times, couldn't hold the blueline & was shaky most of the game.
I couldn't disagree more with that statement. He was our best all around defenseman tonight. Of course, he's not as solid as Philchenkov in his own end but he did not turn the puck over several times, as you said. He actually looked a lot better than Karlsson and Campoli on the PP and it was rather Phillips who fumbled the puck twice on the PP. Finally, Picard was the one who hit a speeding Regin with a sweet tape to tape pass to set up Fisher's PP goal.

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 11:57 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
i'm just checking some pictures and this one freaks me out...

http://senators.nhl.com/club/recap.h...id=DL|OTT|home
Go to picture 16..where the hell are his leg's?!

OmniSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 11:59 PM
alxmrtl

Also, I loved how everybody just went crazy when Alfy got hit. Definitely didn't happen last time he got nailed.

alxmrtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Lehner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestea View Post
Also, I loved how everybody just went crazy when Alfy got hit. Definitely didn't happen last time he got nailed.
I agree, I was very happy about this...

We dont take **** from no one this year..

Also anyone have a replay of the disallowed goal...i was at the game and it looked fine to me...kinda wanna see a replay now.

Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote