HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#5: Ducks at Flyers - October 10, 2009 - 7:00 PM (ET) ‎

Old
10-11-2009, 11:17 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
just curious because i can't seem to find it anywhere. who is backing up emery at the moment? is it teslak? i saw backlund is at adirondack and i know boucher is on ir. did i miss something here? flyers website has boucher and emery as only goalies on roster.
Im pretty sure Boucher isnt on injured reserve anymore. I think I saw him walk out behind Emery the other night.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 11:32 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
word.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 05:42 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I meant more by us (the posters) -- meaning that when the team loses, there are other reasons as to why we lost then simply 'John Stevens'. I'm sure both Holmgren and Stevens hold the players accountable.

I'm not calling out Richards, but perhaps if he dumped the puck with 25-30 seconds left, rather than try for the empty net goal (which was stopped by Getzlaf), then perhaps we win. Kimmo has the attempted clear picked off (by Getzlaf, again) and the rest is history. If the 3 shooters in the shootout lift the puck 10", that also changes the outcome. Those are just a few plays towards the end of the game, to name a few.

One of my favourite sayings -- "If if's and but's were candies nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas"

Like CG88 said, they played to win...we played not to lose. Well, we lost. Give some credit to the Ducks and let's move on.
I know you're just using it as an example...but have you EVER seen a player dump the puck when he's at the blue line staring at an empty net when a goal will ice the game?

Like your last line says about the Ducks - Richards played to win on that play. Dumping it and giving them one last rush is playing not to lose.

I agree with your point in general, just a bad example.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 06:12 AM
Wolfy
The Hobbit Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Refs were not a problem. Carcillo's penalty is black and white, stick on stick and Sbisa's broke. Will be slashing every single time, and it's a rule a lot of people hate.
Yes the refs were a problem, they did not allow the flyers physical style of play, which messed up the gameplan.

And I was first of all talking about the Tollefsen and Cote penalties. Everyone could see that there was no need to discuss the Carcillo penalty. I'm hoping it was these refs and not a new NHL policy against the Flyers.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 06:20 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
I know you're just using it as an example...but have you EVER seen a player dump the puck when he's at the blue line staring at an empty net when a goal will ice the game?

Like your last line says about the Ducks - Richards played to win on that play. Dumping it and giving them one last rush is playing not to lose.

I agree with your point in general, just a bad example.
No, Richards made the right play. Puck goes in the net we restore a 2 goal lead with 20'odd seconds remaining. Like you said, and like I was trying to do...just merely giving examples in the last moments of the game where I don't think it would have mattered who was behind the bench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Yes the refs were a problem, they did not allow the flyers physical style of play, which messed up the gameplan.
I don't know how you can say that with a straight face.

Quote:
And I was first of all talking about the Tollefsen and Cote penalties. Everyone could see that there was no need to discuss the Carcillo penalty. I'm hoping it was these refs and not a new NHL policy against the Flyers.
You (or anybody else on this board, including myself) has no idea what Cote said and to whom. Sure it seemed like a weird penalty from our vantage point...but we weren't there. What if he looked the ref in the eyes and said, "**** you you ****ing piece of ****!" Then what?

On the topic of 'whiners' (like your last post in another thread), suggesting the refs are out to get us and the NHL has policy against the Flyers, is (IMO) whining. Personally, I find it a little embarrassing to suggest this, and it makes the fanbase out to look like sore losers. Like I said, the Ducks had 8 penalties to our 5.

Last edited by Opus: 10-12-2009 at 06:25 AM.
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 08:44 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Opus you know that number of PPs being higher for us doesnt mean refs were good.( I didnt see game just in general(

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Opus you know that number of PPs being higher for us doesnt mean refs were good.( I didnt see game just in general(
I concur, but...I never once suggested that the refs were good.

From post #546...
Quote:
Something else I noticed of the refs -- they gave the Ducks 8 penalties to our 5. It should be noted that 'the refs' didn't hand out a single penalty to a Flyers player in the 3rd, while the Ducks were penalized twice. Once while we led 2-0, and the other while he held a 2-1 lead. Sure the refs were awful yesterday, I'm not suggesting they weren't...but it was more a factor to the other team, than ours.
The notion that the refs had a hand in the Flyers losing to the Ducks is absurd.

Old
10-12-2009, 11:56 AM
chaosof99*

The one good thing that came out of this game:

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Wolfy
The Hobbit Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I concur, but...I never once suggested that the refs were good.

From post #546...

The notion that the refs had a hand in the Flyers losing to the Ducks is absurd.
The refs were satisfied in the 3rd, none of our tough guys played. We had only 5 Ds on the ice, since Tollefsen became a victim of the refs. A couple of our Ds played more than 30 minutes, thats too much. They became tired in the 3rd and allowed the Ducks to tie it up. The refs made things a lot more difficult for the Flyers, thats the way I understand it.

Old
10-12-2009, 02:24 PM
JSTAFF

Quote:
The refs were satisfied in the 3rd, none of our tough guys played. We had only 5 Ds on the ice, since Tollefsen became a victim of the refs. A couple of our Ds played more than 30 minutes, thats too much. They became tired in the 3rd and allowed the Ducks to tie it up. The refs made things a lot more difficult for the Flyers, thats the way I understand it.
I'd rather our 5 D play 30 minutes than have Tollefsen on the ice. Hopefully this is the last game we see him unless there is an injury.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Opus

Quote:
We'll agree to disagree.

Old
10-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Wolfy
The Hobbit Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
I'd rather our 5 D play 30 minutes than have Tollefsen on the ice. Hopefully this is the last game we see him unless there is an injury.
We have to do whats best for the team. If it's better to use Syvret then so be it. Here it looks like Tollefsen will be another Cote on the blueline.

Btw...I'll give you an update on OKT. He's still not 100% because of the knee surgery, and that affects his play. He's actually on medication to avoid swelling. Stevens wants him to play a little to keep him involved, but not too much yet. So you got nothing to worry about..

Last edited by Wolfy: 10-12-2009 at 02:56 PM.