HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jack Todd: How can a sports journalist be so ill informed?

Old
10-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Turboflex*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
Possibly premature, but the article's ideas are founded. Todd is early in reminding us of the cautionary tale but he's not an idiot.
what are you his neighbour or something?? Jack Todd is a loser who deserted the US army and ran to Canada who doesn't know anything about hockey and harasses people in a most cowardly manner. He doesn't know ANYTHING about hockey.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
what are you his neighbour or something?? Jack Todd is a loser who deserted the US army and ran to Canada who doesn't know anything about hockey and harasses people in a most cowardly manner. He doesn't know ANYTHING about hockey.
that's your not so informed opinion.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 01:36 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
This thread is simply a Jack Todd hater convention.

Once again people just read "blah blah blah Price blah blah Hamilton " oh Todd must be an idiot.

the article gives Price credit for a good start, and that his team let themselves down in Vancouver. But the main points are:

1) Price has a history of slumping mentally
2) Team management has in the past not handled that well, last year asking him to working out his problems on the job night after night despite poor performance and having Halak as an alternative.
3) His poor play and posture on the Vancouver game is a possible hint the cycle may be starting again.
4) The coach needs to act on these signs earlier than last year and manage him better. Leaving Price in for 7 goals the other night is cited as not a way to do this.

Possibly premature, but the article's ideas are founded. Todd is early in reminding us of the cautionary tale but he's not an idiot.
Todd hater? No. Agree with him? Not really. At least not yet

Possibly premature? I'd call that an understatement. It was his first loss

Leaving him in for all 7? Depends on Price I guess

One thing that comes under the damned if you do heading: If Price keeps his cool and we lose he is mentally out of it. If he gets agitated we all want to know where that cool guy went.

The cure for this is winning some games without depending on him for every win. 113 shots in just under 3 games is not the best way to go about it

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 01:42 PM
habspinner

@ earl the habs fan ---> I call bollocks on your Todd hating accusation.

I didn't start this thread as a hate on Todd, I started it because because his/her solutions to the argument are not possible. A columnist, is supposed to give his/her opinions and what he/she sees as solutions to the issue he/she is commenting on. If you're going to go about writing an article, well get your facts straight before.

That's like someone in Columbus saying, "well Steve Mason had a horrible series against Detroit, and this year he's started off ok, but had an awful start last time out - well let's ship him to the farm".

I read and understood the rest of the article - it's all been said before. The main premise in the article is that the Habs, ie: Carboneau, and Gainey mishandled young master Price's psyche. Now that a new sheriff is in town; Jacques Martin, he hopes that he will do the right thing and send him down to the farm to get his head on straight. Again - bollocks.

Last edited by habspinner: 10-10-2009 at 01:44 PM. Reason: grammar
habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
the point of going down to hamilton isnt really the focus in this article.

Jack Todd is an emotional and non-sensical opinion columnist. He does not report fact, he cites how he feels.
He compares Carey Price to Patrick Roy's body language.
How about Lunongo's body language when he was shelled last week? Or when he cried in the playoffs- should Lunongo he sent down as well?

One thing i do agree with is that Carey Price either looks unbeatable in a game, or looks like he will be destroyed. Once you saw tose 3 goals in the first, you knew he was cooked. Im not blaming him, cause our D sucked, but you could tell he was ripe for the picking.

Like Todd said, he stopped challenging the shooters, and he kinda sagged in his net.

That is something he has to work on.
I have to agree that my brother is a goalie and I see the same things in Price's game when he feels like they have no chance to win as my brother. When I play against my brother and a few quick goals go in and it seems impossible to come back, I know our chances to score has just improved by 50% and we usually score a **** load more after.. LOL poor guy.. He's improved this over the years, but I know he is fragile in this situation..

So yes, I see the same thing in Price.. He is very emotional and is affected easily when he feels like he's already lost. And I am sure that he will become even better when he matures mentally. I'm sure it's also normal for a kid who has always won in the past.. This is the first time in his life when he has to face 2 (Sedin's) on zero rushes and feels like he's up against Goliath.

But I'm positive that this new team with new players, coaches, system, etc. will only get better with time and Price seemed pretty good in the interviews I saw yesterday. He already looks mentally tougher than he did last year. He didn't look shaken up like he would of last year after a bad game.. Therefore I'm not worried yet.. It's all part of the learning curve

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Jack Todd = Reason I don't read the Gazette.

He's an opinionated columnist with a sub-par opinion and hockey players and all he looks to do when the Montreal Canadiens aren't meeting the HIGH expectations people put on them, is to bash their character and try to run their name in the dirt.

Congrats Jack

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 02:32 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by habspinner View Post
In today's Montreal Gazette there is an article by Todd regarding Carey Price, and his fragile psychological state.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...267/story.html

He goes on to say if Price can't handle the pressure he should be sent to Hamilton. How can he, or the sports editor for that matter, not know that he would have to go through waivers?? It boggles the mind how stupidities like this occur on a regular basis with this guy.
You should learn to read before you insult someone. He said he should have been sent down last year after the return from his injury and the poor play.

"...The kid is in a fragile stage of his career. Gainey did him no favours by running him out there night after night last spring when his confidence was clearly shot. Price should have been sent down to Hamilton to get his head together, especially because Jaroslav Halak had earned the job when Price was hurt...."

Last edited by onice: 10-10-2009 at 02:57 PM.
onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 02:41 PM
habspinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
You should learn to read before you insult someone. He said he should have been sent down last year after the return from his injury and the poor play.

"...The kid is in a fragile stage of his career. Gainey did him no favours by running him out there night after night last spring when his confidence was clearly shot. Price should have been sent down to Hamilton to get his head together, especially because Jaroslav Halak had earned the job when Price was hurt...."

As well as should you - just below that is this:

"If we are going to go through the same scenario this year, then Martin needs to act quickly, to protect his goalie, the future of this hockey team – and the sanity of Jerry and Lynda Price.

Better a young man working his problems out in Hamilton than a shattered boy in Montreal."

I can read, very well - and as for your snide remark.....not so cool

Last edited by habspinner: 10-10-2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: grammar
Old
10-10-2009, 02:45 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
I have to agree that my brother is a goalie and I see the same things in Price's game when he feels like they have no chance to win as my brother. When I play against my brother and a few quick goals go in and it seems impossible to come back, I know our chances to score has just improved by 50% and we usually score a **** load more after.. LOL poor guy.. He's improved this over the years, but I know he is fragile in this situation..

So yes, I see the same thing in Price.. He is very emotional and is affected easily when he feels like he's already lost. And I am sure that he will become even better when he matures mentally. I'm sure it's also normal for a kid who has always won in the past.. This is the first time in his life when he has to face 2 (Sedin's) on zero rushes and feels like he's up against Goliath.

But I'm positive that this new team with new players, coaches, system, etc. will only get better with time and Price seemed pretty good in the interviews I saw yesterday. He already looks mentally tougher than he did last year. He didn't look shaken up like he would of last year after a bad game.. Therefore I'm not worried yet.. It's all part of the learning curve
Maybe Price gets too emotional because he knows deep down his team is average at best.

It's a lot easier to throw a kid like Fleury in at a young age when you have leaders like Crosby and Malkin on his side.

Problem with Price is really a problem about the team.

You have to support young goalies and not writing **** about them helps too.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Todd like any other Montreal Media Meathead is over reacting, is the sky falling in Carolina after they lost 7-2?

Is the season over in Vancouver because Luongo has played one good game?

Are Jersey destined for the 1st overall pick because Broduer has been subpar?

Are the Bruins and Tim Thomas over rated?

Only in Montreal folks.
No, because they won 7-2...

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 02:58 PM
onice

Quote:

"If we are going to go through the same scenario this year, then Martin needs to act quickly, to protect his goalie, the future of this hockey team – and the sanity of Jerry and Lynda Price.

Better a young man working his problems out in Hamilton than a shattered boy in Montreal."

I can read, very well - and as for your snide remark.....not so cool
My apologies. My bad. I missed that last sentence

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 03:02 PM
habspinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
My apologies. My bad. I missed that last sentence
No problemo

Old
10-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

I can read, very well - and as for your snide remark.....
This comment needs to be clarified, why don't you write to Todd and have him explain what he meant. He's given you his email address. I've politely emailed him before to correct him on certain pieces of information in his article and have found him to be quite civil.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Maybe Price gets too emotional because he knows deep down his team is average at best.

It's a lot easier to throw a kid like Fleury in at a young age when you have leaders like Crosby and Malkin on his side.

Problem with Price is really a problem about the team.

You have to support young goalies and not writing **** about them helps too.
Maybe.. But Sakic played many seasons with Quebec where he was the only star on the team yet never let it get to him. If Price want's to be his best and have the best stats, he's got to have that mentality. And from what I see, the Habs organization are doing everything to get him to adopt that mentality. It's only human to feel a little discouraged when your team is playing badly. But great teams and great players feel that way for a few seconds and then think to themselves, "Never give up and always give your 100%"...

And like I wrote earlier, I see positive changes in Price so far early in the season. So it's looking good for his future...

Old
10-10-2009, 03:06 PM
habspinner

Quote:
This comment needs to be clarified, why don't you write to Todd and have him explain what he meant. He's given you his email address. I've politely emailed him before to correct him on certain pieces of information in his article and have found him to be quite civil.
I actually wrote a letter to Todd and cc'd Stu Cowan the sports editor on it this morning. I have yet to get a response.

I too would like to know what he means, but my guess is that he is uninformed and that he spoke with his heart and not with his head.

For me the biggest annoyance is that we went through this argument last year, over and over. Can't we just put it to rest? Why does this article get written with that conclusion?

Old
10-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Kirk Muller

I love Montreal. The habs weren't the only team shelled this week. Boston was lit up as was Florida. At this point in the season, just chalk it up to early season changes, chemistry, etc etc.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 03:34 PM
kovalost27

People read the Gazette?

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 03:41 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
In today's Montreal Gazette there is an article by Todd regarding Carey Price, and his fragile psychological state.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...267/story.html

He goes on to say if Price can't handle the pressure he should be sent to Hamilton. How can he, or the sports editor for that matter, not know that he would have to go through waivers?? It boggles the mind how stupidities like this occur on a regular basis with this guy.
Um, it's not Mr. Todd that is ill-informed, but rather you.

Price can be sent to Hamilton on a two week conditioning stint as long as he agrees to go. It's not uncommon.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Bullsmith

I hate Jack Todd. Loathe him.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 04:03 PM
habspinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post

Price can be sent to Hamilton on a two week conditioning stint as long as he agrees to go. It's not uncommon.
I have commented on this in a prior post - that's not at all what Todd is getting at I can guarantee you. And as I mentioned prior, if it gets so far as that we've got problems that 2 weeks will not fix.

Old
10-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post

Come on Ferris...get off the 'nasty' pills! The poster isn't "ill-informed".

Since when does a healthy goalie who went through an entire training camp and then started three out of his team's first four games (and steal wins in two of those games) get sent to the minors for a conditioning stint? That would be extremely "uncommon".

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 07:04 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
Maybe.. But Sakic played many seasons with Quebec where he was the only star on the team yet never let it get to him. If Price want's to be his best and have the best stats, he's got to have that mentality.
Can't compare a goalie to player in terms of what they require for development.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 07:13 PM
panorama01*

Had Jack Todd deserted the East German army, would he be a higher quality individual?

panorama01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Can't compare a goalie to player in terms of what they require for development.
I'm not comparing development. I gave an example of a guy who never quit no matter who was on his team.. And Yes you can compare IMO. Any player who knows he's the best player on his team can always give up early in a game. And my point was if Price believes he can be the best player on his team will only become the best on his team if he acquires that mentality...

Old
10-10-2009, 09:12 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Correct - but that's not what he's talking about. If it ever got as far as Price being sent to Hamilton, it's not going to fix itself in two weeks.
He was not injured, I doubt his conditioning is poor, the loan would most likely been seen as a way to not put him on waivers = thus rejected by the NHL.

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote