HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Odds of a major move taking place within 10 days?

Old
10-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Panthers/Leafs fan

vCash: 500
Odds of a major move taking place within 10 days?

I wish I knew how to create a poll, but the one thing you can say about a game like this is that the odds of a major player move taking place go up.

What do you think? I get the feeling it's going to happen.

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 08:18 PM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Vokoun to a contender for a bag of pucks. Make it happen, Randy.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Just mentioned that on the GDT actually ..lol

I think a trade is sorely needed to shake up the room.

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 08:26 PM
ShootIt

I hope something happens.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 08:29 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
It would finally make everyone realize how inept our new GM truly is.

Last edited by CatscratchFever: 10-21-2009 at 08:43 PM.
CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Panthers_Fan

With no GM I would be shocked if there is a major move before the trade deadline.

Panthers_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
It would finally make everyone realize how inept our new GM truly is.
I don't think he's inept, he did pretty well with our brand new, shiny, self-imposed cap. Friggin Cohen.

10-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Georgia Panther

There will be a move but it won't be major. What I would do? Put Stillman on waivers and when he goes unclaimed, which he will, send him down to rochester for a few weeks and call up Repik to send a message. The only major move I could see them making is a trade of Horton for a Frolov, who because he will be a UFA won't happen, or a Penner, which is almost a lateral move as Penner makes $250,000 more but signed for one year less than horton.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 10:34 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
There will be a move but it won't be major. What I would do? Put Stillman on waivers and when he goes unclaimed, which he will, send him down to rochester for a few weeks and call up Repik to send a message. The only major move I could see them making is a trade of Horton for a Frolov, who because he will be a UFA won't happen, or a Penner, which is almost a lateral move as Penner makes $250,000 more but signed for one year less than horton.
Penner would be a huge mistake for Horton.

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 10:35 PM
VirtualSpree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I don't think he's inept, he did pretty well with our brand new, shiny, self-imposed cap. Friggin Cohen.
Why do people always talk about this? I'm looking at NHLnumbers.com and it seems there are plenty of teams that don't spend to the cap, in fact only a few do. And we're only under the salary cap by 4 million, which seems to be around the league average. I'm also seeing better teams with more cap space and worse teams with less cap space.

And if we could spend those 4 million, what would we get right now that could help us out that much?

VirtualSpree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSpree View Post
Why do people always talk about this? I'm looking at NHLnumbers.com and it seems there are plenty of teams that don't spend to the cap, in fact only a few do. And we're only under the salary cap by 4 million, which seems to be around the league average. I'm also seeing better teams with more cap space and worse teams with less cap space.

And if we could spend those 4 million, what would we get right now that could help us out that much?
Because it's the truth? GR had a quote by someone (Sexton?) that said that we were under a self-imposed cap, mostly due to the sale.

GP...Stillman would most certainly NOT go unclaimed. If he does, someone would certainly pick him up on re-entry waivers, which would have us footing half of his salary. Only message that sends is that we're still terrible with our players and finances. Again, I'm thankful that you're NOT the GM.

And Penner would be a completely boneheaded move.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 03:39 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Call me a pessimist, but I'm willing to give this team about 20-25 games before I'm willing to cash it in and hope for a high pick.

As far as a major trade. What the hell do we have to make a major trade? Horton and Vokoun are the only assets that are going to return anything decent and are even remotely tradeable and I don't think they return as much as you think.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:

GP...Stillman would most certainly NOT go unclaimed. If he does, someone would certainly pick him up on re-entry waivers, which would have us footing half of his salary.
Laus Buddy, as far as the former, I GUARANTEE he would go unclaimed, mainly because he has another year to go on his contract, and as far as the later, that is possible though with Stillman's production so far, not necessarily a bad thing getting back 50% of a wasted investment.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 08:34 AM
SeasonTicket

One of the problems is they are only carrying 21 players on the roster. 20 since Tarnasky is out.

This does two things.

1st nobody in the press box putting any pressure on the guys in the line up

2nd can't sit anyone out for poor play.

SeasonTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 09:17 AM
RECsGuy*

No incentive for ownership or management to change things.

Some of the various cards that will be played to justify the product we are seeing and will continue to see until a new owner takes over:

*Chicken-Egg Approach: Fundamentally, a business owner has only two choices >>> 1) Withold investment in product to gauge customers' 'worth' (willingness to spend)
or 2) Freely invest in product's quality without fear of losses. Attendance reflects Cohen's model of choice.

*8 years outside the playoffs = Low expectations; What's another year?

*Vilification of past stars: blame regression on the nature of Luongo's (demands)/Bouwmeester's (distate for So. Fla.)/Jokinen and Whitney's ('cancerous' behavior) exits

*All tradeable roster players/prospects (which does not include Frolik, Kulikov and Repik) are at rock bottom value

*DeBoer's super special system + 6 new players (Kulikov/Leopold/Seidenberg/Koistinen/Moore/Reinprecht) = extensive 'adjustment' period

*The Panthers are but a part of SSE and therefore not Cohen's lone priority.

*Restrictive BAC lease further limits an already short list of potential buyers of the franchise and, in turn, lowers team's value

*Relative success of Heat, Marlins, Dolphins and Hurricanes take attention off of this blight

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 09:33 AM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Absolutely spot on. Sexton has done the most with what he has. It's like giving someone a Honda and telling them to sell it for the price of a Mercedes.

FlaPanthers7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Tuco

Zero.

Intriguing how some are ducking VirtualSpree's fact: "And we're only under the salary cap by 4 million, which seems to be around the league average" and just keep pushing their story that Cohen is cheap. Disclaimer: I have not checked the validity of VirtualSpree's calculations.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Where are all the Vokoun fans

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
This just might be the worst season yet

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 10:42 AM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Zero.

Intriguing how some are ducking VirtualSpree's fact: "And we're only under the salary cap by 4 million, which seems to be around the league average" and just keep pushing their story that Cohen is cheap. Disclaimer: I have not checked the validity of VirtualSpree's calculations.
The amount of money that is spent pales in importance to what that money is spent on.

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 11:09 AM
Panthers/Leafs fan

Rattrick wrote:

Quote:
Call me a pessimist, but I'm willing to give this team about 20-25 games before I'm willing to cash it in and hope for a high pick.
Hilarious! Given this current season, I think that your comment makes you an optimist!

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 11:17 AM
KWGoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
This just might be the worst season yet
We still have a good chance to beat the 74-75 Washington Capitals who went 8-67-5. I'm quite optimistic that we can take losing to a new level.

KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers/Leafs fan View Post
I wish I knew how to create a poll, but the one thing you can say about a game like this is that the odds of a major player move taking place go up.

What do you think? I get the feeling it's going to happen.
Slim to none. And slim is packing his bags. You can't make major personnel moves during the season anymore because of the cap, and if you do it's going to be someone that you don't want to trade anyway. So nothing major is going to happen. This is our team, for the most part. We will either sink or swim with it.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 12:47 PM
RainingRats

We don't have any assets that are valuable enough to qualify as a major trade.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 01:44 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
We don't have any assets that are valuable enough to qualify as a major trade.
Yeah, our most valuable assets are the guys we want to keep - Frolik, Markstrom and maybe Ellerby. Our roster really doesn't have much leverage. Horton's value is not that high after a sub-par season last year and a slow start, Vokoun cannot have much value with his cap hit, Olesz has a contract no one will want to assume, and Booth is probably untouchable after just signing his deal. How would that look on the franchise if they signed Booth to a 6-year deal then traded him? I don't see it happening.

That doesn't leave much to work with. The only person I can see moved is Horton if some GM has a man-crush on his potential. He's played well so far overall, but if he's not scoring he's not fulfilling his role on the top line.

FlaPanthers7 is online now   Reply With Quote