HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Derek Roy

Old
10-12-2009, 09:06 AM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
Make Buffalo more inept offensively?
Are you so sure about that?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 07:55 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford
Mac-Kesler-Pominville

Ok, I could get behind those lines.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdhawan89 View Post
What would you want from the oilers? I think he would look good with Hemmer
Surely Souray and Visnovsky are of interest to me just when you ask what we would want from you. I figure Souray wouldn't be an option in an Edmonton POV to move but I would definitely take Lubo in a deal. We could really use a proven offensive Dman. Only thing is you would probably have to take one of our Dmen back. I'd say Paetsch, Tallinder, or Sekera would be the three we would want to part with before the rest. Nonetheless, if we could manage to get a 2nd line center plus deal Roy in a deal including Lubo I would be interested.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 08:48 AM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Ah, the usual "Trade Roy" claims, an Autumn rite of passage in Upstate NY. Roy is a notoriously slow starter, yet people still clamor for his departure. For what? So we can spend $4 mil/year on a guy who can score 50 pts instead of 70-80 pts and might be marginally better defensively than Roy? Sweet. Here are Roy's career regular season splits by month:

October: .71 ppg
November: .70 ppg
December: .78 ppg
January: .80 ppg
February: .82 ppg
March: .87 ppg
April: .71 ppg (only 24 games, by far smallest sample size)

Roy's going nowhere, nor should he. Sorry if I can't get behind having Kennedy + 50 pt scorer we acquire in Roy trade as our top two centers after the inevitable Connolly injury. If you want to trade someone in the top-6, trade Pominfail. I get that Roy has the most value, but this seems little more than doing something for the sake of doing something.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 10:40 AM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelator 786 View Post
ryan kesler can be had for 10 first round picks
Quote:
Originally Posted by bieksa 3 View Post
And Tyler Myers and also Zack Kassian
Ryan Kesler (not dissing him but....)
325 games played
67 goals
78 ass
145 pts
ppg .45
+8
25 years old
6' 2" 195

Derek Roy
357 games played
108 goals
173 ass
281 points
ppg .79
+38
26 years old
5'9" 188

Hmmmm...about the only thing that Kesler has on Roy, is that he plays a more physical game. Doesn't seem to make those around him that much better by his point total but he deserves 10 firsts and it would be beyond imagination that Roy would be worth Ryan. Roy's last 3 years are 63-81-70 points, Ryan's topped out at 59, and they are pretty much the same age. Ryan has also had the luxury of playing behind the Sedins, so not facing the top d pairing of the opposition. Please.

As for trading Roy....why?????? Also, why get down on him. He's not the #1 center, nor should he be considered a #1. He's a perfect #2, or 1B. He needs to play with a physical center in front of him, and he would flurish. Connolly going out with injuries has only made Roy cover the #1, #2 and #3 center positions, play in all situations, rather just put him in situations he is not suited for. It'd be a cold day in hell, or big overpayment for me to trade Roy.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 10:46 AM
JustinCider

How about...

From Edmonton...

Gilbert or Grebs
Cogliano

From Buffalo...

Roy
Tallinder

close?

JustinCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Are you so sure about that?
Absolutely. Roy is on a whole another level than kesler offensively, who needs to be at wing to be effective at putting up points. Once Connolly inevitably goes down and you're stuck with Kesler as your 1st line center...

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:05 PM
JPurp26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
How about...

From Edmonton...

Gilbert or Grebs
Cogliano

From Buffalo...

Roy
Tallinder

close?
gilbert instead of grebs for sure but thats close might take a little more nice proposal

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:05 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
How about...

From Edmonton...

Gilbert or Grebs
Cogliano

From Buffalo...

Roy
Tallinder

close?
Don't need D.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Askel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorhtPortFL View Post
Ryan Kesler (not dissing him but....)
325 games played
67 goals
78 ass
145 pts
ppg .45
+8
25 years old
6' 2" 195

Derek Roy
357 games played
108 goals
173 ass
281 points
ppg .79
+38
26 years old
5'9" 188

Hmmmm...about the only thing that Kesler has on Roy, is that he plays a more physical game. Doesn't seem to make those around him that much better by his point total but he deserves 10 firsts and it would be beyond imagination that Roy would be worth Ryan. Roy's last 3 years are 63-81-70 points, Ryan's topped out at 59, and they are pretty much the same age. Ryan has also had the luxury of playing behind the Sedins, so not facing the top d pairing of the opposition. Please.

As for trading Roy....why?????? Also, why get down on him. He's not the #1 center, nor should he be considered a #1. He's a perfect #2, or 1B. He needs to play with a physical center in front of him, and he would flurish. Connolly going out with injuries has only made Roy cover the #1, #2 and #3 center positions, play in all situations, rather just put him in situations he is not suited for. It'd be a cold day in hell, or big overpayment for me to trade Roy.
Kesler is better defensevly than Roy he is also much more physical, faster and one of Canucks leaders. Roy is better offensevly though.

To sum it up: You dont trade people like Kesler because hes worth more to the organisation than what you can get back in a trade.

Askel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:07 PM
JPurp26

we could use an offensive d man and gilbert could be that guy

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:30 PM
JustinCider

Gilbert is a big, offensive, american, puck moving dman. Im pretty sure the Sabres could use a guy like him. His contract is the same as Roy's. Locked up at 4 per, for 5 more years, including this year.

Old
10-13-2009, 12:31 PM
projexns
Welcome Back Jets!

Quote:
shake up

I'm keeping an eye on the Florida Panthers who just seem stuck in a culture of losing that might require a radical overhaul of their roster. A major shakeup for the sake of not keeping the status quo.

I know that the Sabres have missed the playoffs for the past two seasons and a shakeup might be a consideration somewhere down the line if that trend is in danger of continuing. They are off to a good start so far this season.

Maybe some time down the road:

TO FLORIDA: Derek Roy and Drew Stafford

TO BUFFALO: Steven Weiss and Nathan Horton

projexns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:33 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by projexns View Post
I'm keeping an eye on the Florida Panthers who just seem stuck in a culture of losing that might require a radical overhaul of their roster. A major shakeup for the sake of not keeping the status quo.

I know that the Sabres have missed the playoffs for the past two seasons and a shakeup might be a consideration somewhere down the line if that trend is in danger of continuing. They are off to a good start so far this season.

Maybe some time down the road:

TO FLORIDA: Derek Roy and Drew Stafford

TO BUFFALO: Steven Weiss and Nathan Horton
Horrible proposal.And Roy is worth more then Kesler, without a doubt.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Kesler is better defensevly than Roy he is also much more physical, faster and one of Canucks leaders. Roy is better offensevly though.

To sum it up: You dont trade people like Kesler because hes worth more to the organisation than what you can get back in a trade.
And you don't trade guys like Roy who score 70-80 pts and play all three phases of the game, all the while on an amazing $4 mil/year contract that runs for four more seasons. I think Roy is slightly more valuable than Kesler, but neither team would do such a trade.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Jame
Dream '16

im interested more in the debate about who is better Roy or Kesler? I think Roy has more trade value due to contract and the fact that Kesler is a RFA...

But I would definitely trade Roy for Kesler with salary and value eveners to make the trade work.

Roy, Paille, Paetsch, Gerbe, 1st (Paetsch has NO trade value and is merely a cap move)
for
Kesler, Demitra

Old
10-13-2009, 03:29 PM
JustinCider

Yeah, when it comes to Kesler, Bobby Clarke knew what he was doing giving him an offer sheet, he just didn't offer enough. The guy is a monster out there, every team in the NHL would love to have him.

Old
10-13-2009, 04:02 PM
Zip15

Quote:
im interested more in the debate about who is better Roy or Kesler? I think Roy has more trade value due to contract and the fact that Kesler is a RFA...

But I would definitely trade Roy for Kesler with salary and value eveners to make the trade work.

Roy, Paille, Paetsch, Gerbe, 1st (Paetsch has NO trade value and is merely a cap move)
for
Kesler, Demitra
Wow, IMO that's almost a fireable offense. Kesler is going to have a Roy-like salary after this season or next, and has never proven to be a viable #1 center in this league, whereas Roy has proven that he can do it, at least in the short-term. You need someone who can be a point/game player when Connolly inevitably goes down, and Kesler isn't that guy. Kesler is better defensively, but I don't believe it makes up for what you're losing on offense with Roy's departure.

Then, you essentially trade Paille, Gerbe and a 1st for Pavol Demitra. I understand that you despise Paille and you don't think Gerbe will ever make it, but you just gave away a lot for a rental. Then you add a 1st? For what? With the peanuts that you'll be saving by "dumping" the Paille and Gerbe salaries (remember, Kesler is going to get a Roy-esque contract), who of any relevance are you going to get in free agency?

The Sabres have finally given themselves some depth and you just traded a good portion of it + Roy's contract for less offense (Kesler) and a six-month rental (Demitra), and in the process didn't bank enough money (because of Kesler's pending extension) to make your team better in free agency. I mean, are you really comfortable with a combination of Kesler and Kennedy/Ennis, two utterly unproven players at this level, as your top-6 centers if/when Connolly goes down this season? That has 13th place written all over it.

Old
10-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Wow, IMO that's almost a fireable offense. Kesler is going to have a Roy-like salary after this season or next, and has never proven to be a viable #1 center in this league, whereas Roy has proven that he can do it, at least in the short-term. You need someone who can be a point/game player when Connolly inevitably goes down, and Kesler isn't that guy. Kesler is better defensively, but I don't believe it makes up for what you're losing on offense with Roy's departure.

Then, you essentially trade Paille, Gerbe and a 1st for Pavol Demitra. I understand that you despise Paille and you don't think Gerbe will ever make it, but you just gave away a lot for a rental. Then you add a 1st? For what? With the peanuts that you'll be saving by "dumping" the Paille and Gerbe salaries (remember, Kesler is going to get a Roy-esque contract), who of any relevance are you going to get in free agency?

The Sabres have finally given themselves some depth and you just traded a good portion of it + Roy's contract for less offense (Kesler) and a six-month rental (Demitra), and in the process didn't bank enough money (because of Kesler's pending extension) to make your team better in free agency. I mean, are you really comfortable with a combination of Kesler and Kennedy/Ennis, two utterly unproven players at this level, as your top-6 centers if/when Connolly goes down this season? That has 13th place written all over it.
I thought I made myself clear. I think Kesler is a better player then Roy. I think Kesler is a better player to build around as the anchor center of the top 6.

I think Kesler is a future regular for the Selke trophy. I think he's Captain material. I think he is a 5 tool center.

So yes, I would make that trade, because you are right.. I think nothing of Paille, I don't think Gerbe has a long term top 6 future in the NHL. And I personally dislike everything about Derek Roy's game except his individual offensive abilities.

And while you keep harping about Kesler being less offense, take a peek at what Jeff Carter went from in 06-07 to 07-08 in terms of production.

If you don't like Kesler, you don't watch Vancoucer.... ever.

by the way, i would trade Vanek for Kesler too. I would just prefer to trade Roy.

Old
10-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Luceni

Quote:
by the way, i would trade Vanek for Kesler too. I would just prefer to trade Roy.

are you serious?

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Zip15

Quote:
I thought I made myself clear. I think Kesler is a better player then Roy. I think Kesler is a better player to build around as the anchor center of the top 6.

I think Kesler is a future regular for the Selke trophy. I think he's Captain material. I think he is a 5 tool center.

So yes, I would make that trade, because you are right.. I think nothing of Paille, I don't think Gerbe has a long term top 6 future in the NHL. And I personally dislike everything about Derek Roy's game except his individual offensive abilities.

And while you keep harping about Kesler being less offense, take a peek at what Jeff Carter went from in 06-07 to 07-08 in terms of production.

If you don't like Kesler, you don't watch Vancoucer.... ever.

I like Kesler a lot. Have since he played for Manitoba during the lockout season. But he's not enough of an overpayment to get Roy's contract off the books. And I don't deplete organizational depth by trading Paille, Gerbe and a 1st for a rental like Demitra + whatever we can get with $1.8 mil in savings (again, presuming the Kesler raise), even assuming we use that money towards a player since we're already over the speculated internal budget. But I also believe Gerbe will be a productive NHLer and Paille could have a role on this team. You believe neither of those things, and therein lies the divergence in opinion.

Old
10-13-2009, 05:22 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Kesler straight up.
H. Sedin
D. Roy
K. Wellwood
R. Johnson

as Vancouver's middle? No thanks.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:29 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
for
Kesler, Demitra
That's not going to convince the Canucks to move Kesler. Paille, Paetsch and Gerbe don't do much for the Canucks and while adding another 1st is always nice, it's not worth losing the size, grit and defensive abilities of Kesler. And while Roy is better offensively than Kesler, I don't think the gap will be too far apart going forward.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
That's not going to convince the Canucks to move Kesler. Paille, Paetsch and Gerbe don't do much for the Canucks and while adding another 1st is always nice, it's not worth losing the size, grit and defensive abilities of Kesler. And while Roy is better offensively than Kesler, I don't think the gap will be too far apart going forward.
Neither do I.

My favorite, non sabre, young-non superstar....Kesler. Would do anything to get him in Buffalo.

Old
10-13-2009, 08:24 PM
bumperkisser

What would you want from the ducks?

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote