HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Does sticktape colour effect your game?

Old
10-14-2009, 02:54 AM
CanadaBacon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I don't watch the great one that often. The point was it doesn't matter if a guy uses pink glow in the dark tape ... it won't help him score.

Skill usually does that for you.
Are you refering to Crosby as the "the great one"?

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 03:20 AM
ower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalberg View Post
Black tape, same reason as someone mentioned above...heard as a kid that it makes it slightly harder for the goalie to pick up. Don't think it's true, but I'm used to it now.
I don't have any problem scoring against kids though, it's once they get taller and become adults that they block the shots more.

ower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 04:20 AM
deanosaur

Nice to see so many people actually look down at the puck at the puck and pay attention to what color of tape they use.
Ya know you really shouldn't be looking down in the first place to even give a rats ass about what color of tape you're using

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 05:10 AM
Ashe

That camo coloured tape gives you +5 to puck control, deking. If you find pink and blue camo, you get a +5 to wrist shot power.

Dean proved it to me last night

Ashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:18 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

It's a giant goalie conspiracy to say that black doesn't affect them.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
Nice to see so many people actually look down at the puck at the puck and pay attention to what color of tape they use.
Ya know you really shouldn't be looking down in the first place to even give a rats ass about what color of tape you're using
Oh come on, I'm more concerned with what's actually important with tape...how it looks when I'm sitting on the bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
It's a giant goalie conspiracy to say that black doesn't affect them.
never thought about that one!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 03:01 PM
vyktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I don't watch the great one that often. The point was it doesn't matter if a guy uses pink glow in the dark tape ... it won't help him score.

Skill usually does that for you.
I was actually talking to a goalie about pink/yellow tape just the other day and it does make a difference, to him anyway. He said that there's not much difference between black or white tape, but a guy showed up one day with pink tape, he said it was his daughter's and the only thing he could find when he left the house, anyway the gaolie said it worked like a pink highlighter, and the puck was a lot easier to track when he shot it. He played agaimst the guy many time before and since and said the tape definitly made a difference how he saw the puck come off the stick that night.
He said gold does the same thing.

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 04:05 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyktor View Post
I was actually talking to a goalie about pink/yellow tape just the other day and it does make a difference, to him anyway. He said that there's not much difference between black or white tape, but a guy showed up one day with pink tape, he said it was his daughter's and the only thing he could find when he left the house, anyway the gaolie said it worked like a pink highlighter, and the puck was a lot easier to track when he shot it. He played agaimst the guy many time before and since and said the tape definitly made a difference how he saw the puck come off the stick that night.
He said gold does the same thing.
The whole goalie vs color of tape thing.. garbage excuse. Only bad goalies are fooled by the color of the tape the shooter uses.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I could see how it would be easier to see the contrast of the pink tape against the rest of the action.

I went down the NHL leading scorers over the summer and for the top 25 it was about a 50-50 split between black and white.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 04:36 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

Next useless thread will be named: Does lace color affect your skating speed?

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 05:06 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
Next useless thread will be named: Does lace color affect your skating speed?
No, but if you get a certain color it makes you invisible.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 05:47 PM
Redden Hogalot*

The only difference I see between black and white tape other than the colour is that I think black tape is a bit thicker than white.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 06:02 PM
TheOtter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
I don't know how it works for those of you who have been playing since you were young, but for me, the puck is like a child. If I don't keep an eye on it, it wanders off, and I can't help but feel responsible.

TheOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:54 PM
IniNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtter View Post
I don't know how it works for those of you who have been playing since you were young, but for me, the puck is like a child. If I don't keep an eye on it, it wanders off, and I can't help but feel responsible.

hahaha. I'm with you, puck touches my stick and I look up just as much as I look down. Great analogy.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 10:00 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtter View Post
I use the blade as my "eye", i can feel the puck. Bad things happen when your head is down.

You will notice a lot of guys come up the ice going backhand to forehand, backhand to forehand with the puck. It is a way to keep control, a way to keep a "rhythm" so you can keep your head up.

Head down = bad bad bad stuff will happen

Old
10-14-2009, 10:52 PM
SiouxPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckleboy View Post
and no tape color does not affect my game, I suck regardless of tape color.
This guys my kind of guy,

/thread

SiouxPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:08 PM
JFA87-66-99

I used to always use black but I switched to white on accident one game when I ran out of black tape, call me crazy but I swear my hands are so much better with white tape so now I use white. I think its a mental thing.

JFA87-66-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 01:48 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
I use the blade as my "eye", i can feel the puck. Bad things happen when your head is down.

You will notice a lot of guys come up the ice going backhand to forehand, backhand to forehand with the puck. It is a way to keep control, a way to keep a "rhythm" so you can keep your head up.

Head down = bad bad bad stuff will happen
Not in beer leagues like most guys here play in. Worst that will happen in those is you'll be clueless in making passes.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 02:07 AM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFA87-66-99 View Post
I used to always use black but I switched to white on accident one game when I ran out of black tape, call me crazy but I swear my hands are so much better with white tape so now I use white. I think its a mental thing.
k your crazy

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 02:21 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Not in beer leagues like most guys here play in. Worst that will happen in those is you'll be clueless in making passes.
or.....someone will come barrelling into you because 1. It is a beer league 2. There are a lot of guys that are poor skaters and this happens alot 3. Some d***head will just level you.

Doesnt matter what level you play in, keeping your head down is never a good idea.

Old
10-15-2009, 11:14 AM
elvisisalive

Actually for those goalies who know "the secret" the colour of the tape makes all the difference in the world. We are talking about split seconds between making a save and letting a goal in. Knowing where the puck is going a split second sooner changes everything.

elvisisalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 03:26 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
or.....someone will come barrelling into you because 1. It is a beer league 2. There are a lot of guys that are poor skaters and this happens alot 3. Some d***head will just level you.

Doesnt matter what level you play in, keeping your head down is never a good idea.
What's that supposed to mean? Most guys in beer leagues can turn, and if they can't they can't usually go fast enough for it to matter.

And said moron leveling you will get a penalty immediately, not that it ever happens in the first place. Guys who play beer league are usually there just to have fun, not take cheapshots.

Somehow I doubt if you've ever even seen a beer league game. A guy who skates with his head up the the exception, not the norm, and the things you're talking about rarely ever happen.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 03:54 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
What's that supposed to mean? Most guys in beer leagues can turn, and if they can't they can't usually go fast enough for it to matter.

And said moron leveling you will get a penalty immediately, not that it ever happens in the first place. Guys who play beer league are usually there just to have fun, not take cheapshots.

Somehow I doubt if you've ever even seen a beer league game. A guy who skates with his head up the the exception, not the norm, and the things you're talking about rarely ever happen.

what do you mean whats that suppose to mean? A beer league will have a wide range of players. From not skilled to skilled. All it takes is one guy to nail you through lack of skate control, or you nailing some guy because your head is down

So a guying getting a penalty makes up for someone getting hurt? I doubt you have ever seen a beer league game if you think this kinda stuff doesnt happen. How is it wrong of me to tell guys to keep there head up?

How can you tell people its ok to keep there head down? thats ridiculous

Old
10-15-2009, 03:57 PM
blueberrydanish

In my league if a dude got leveled for having his head down the guy that hit him would be in serious *****, prob even get jumped depending how bad. There is playing physical in a beer league and playing like a complete moron that noone wants around.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 04:05 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
In my league if a dude got leveled for having his head down the guy that hit him would be in serious *****, prob even get jumped depending how bad. There is playing physical in a beer league and playing like a complete moron that noone wants around.
A regular check turns into being "nailed" because the guys head was down. Whats the difference whether the guy hits him with his head up or down? You cant touch guys with there head down? The point is whether the game is "physical" or not it is dangerous to play with your head done.