HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

I'm going to be honest about Staal

Old
10-13-2009, 12:20 AM
gravytrain6t

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I agree that Staal will anchor the Rangers' defense for a long time, but am not sure he'll put up the requisite numbers to warrant Norris trophy consideration.
I still think it's much too early to tell. He's only 22. He's got a very long future ahead of him. Hopefully, all of it, is right here in NY.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:26 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

This thread is absolutely retarded.

Staal is finally expanding his offensive game in a new system, and people are jumping all over him saying he'll never be anything offensively? You people do realize that Rozsival has multiple 10+ goal, 30+ point seasons, correct? If you people think for even a minute that Staal can't even come close to touching those numbers, you guys are out of your mind, because if Rozsival, who has average, if not below-average offensive instincts can do it, Staal, who has better offensive and defensive instincts, and has far better hands and skating ability can do it.

I'm not saying Staal will score 20 goals and 70 points, but 10 goals and 30-40 points is definitely not out of reach if he ends up being a power play asset in the future, which he most definitely can be, and I'd be happy with that combined with elite shutdown capabilities. So what, he'll probably never win a Norris with guys like Phaneuf, Bouwmeester, Weber and even younger talent like Hedman, Doughty, and Bogosian in the league, but Staal already is, and will continue to be a legit #1 defender who will always be underrated because he plays the game so well that he goes relatively unnoticed in most games.

Sometimes, the best defenders are the ones that do that.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:32 AM
In The Flesh

he spent ZERO time in Hartford correct? was it only when his junior season ended for those few games? In any case, he went straight to the NHL. D man take a bit longer anyhow. Did they rush him? maybe, but who really cares now. THey rushed the hell out of Tytuin too. We needed both of them ASAP. Maybe DZ should be sent back, idk. I'm kind of a "rush em" type of guy, but thats not always the best. Staal will be fine.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
He's 22, going on 23 in the new year.

The kid is leading this team in ice time right now.

Right now I think Staal's biggest problem isn't that he isn't very good, it's that people have always struggled to place a value on a "shut down" guy. When you don't have numbers to point to, things get a little complicated.

He'll never be an "offensive" defenseman, but this kid has some solid ability. I really don't think 10 goals and 35 points is out of line for him if he gains confidence in his "offensive" abilities.

We all love the guys who can shoot the puck, but they key word in defenseman will always be defense.
Exactomundo.

Think about any D man we have, then ask yourself who's stick you want the puck on in a really tight spot.

The answer is simple.

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 02:20 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
OK I agree but do you see a steady improvement (granted a small sample size worth) from last year?
  • It's October 13th.
  • He's not an offensive force and may never be one.
  • Tortorella obviously loves him.

Things are going near perfectly, way above expectations, and I don't see a reason to criticize, however slightly, just about anyone in the organization, least of all the kid dman who is chomping up major minutes.

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 11:41 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
  • It's October 13th.
  • He's not an offensive force and may never be one.
  • Tortorella obviously loves him.

Things are going near perfectly, way above expectations, and I don't see a reason to criticize, however slightly, just about anyone in the organization, least of all the kid dman who is chomping up major minutes.

First off I want to say that Staal had a near perfect game the other night and it's obvious he read my thread because he avoided making the mistakes I pointed out (JK)

Anyway, I am not criticizing the kid. I'm making a few observations. If he makes a mistake, I'm not going to ignore them. Some have been glaring, most of the time he's very solid. I hold him to a high standard now that he has some experience under his belt, and I am guessing team canada does as well. But if he keeps playing like he did against Toront, there shouyld be any more concerns coming from me

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote