HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Coyotes @ Sharks (10/12/09)

Old
10-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Llewzaher

vCash: 500
2 shutouts for Bryz ..he only got 3 all of last season didn't he ?

Llewzaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:20 AM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 510
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJCaRoach View Post
It's great to read the other team's threads after we win. LA, Pitt and now SJ. all of them think their team played their worst game of the year against are boring "trap happy" team
Well, it's nice to see we bring out the worst in other teams!

Mayo Taco Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:22 AM
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalHansen View Post
Did any Phoenix fans see Korpikoski's potential for the shootout?

He was so calm when he took that shot.
I actually did. I mentioned early in the pre-season going to several practices and he really surprised with his shot on one-on-ones. Great moves in practice don't always translate when others are on the ice, but in shootouts? Yeah, baby!

AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:23 AM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

Quote:

I thought I saw that tonight was his first career shootout attempt. I was definitely suprised to see him out there, but quite happy with the result.

Art.Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:23 AM
Tom Polakis
W-L-W-L-W-L...

That was a great win, but I really need to stop screaming in frustration at the glowing rectangle in front of me. When Korpikoski was getting ready to shoot, the San Jose color man said, "the Coyote coaching staff must know something that nobody else in the NHL knows." Afterward, "he looked like he scores 50 goals a season that way."

I thought the 0-0 game was very entertaining, and like much of the past four, the Coyotes controlled play. Even when we were holding on to that slim margin in fifth place last January, we were not controlling play, outshooting teams, having them chase us around, or any of that. This season, I'm only frustrated by our inability to finish when it's there on the platter. We're outskating teams, though, and it's been a long time since we could say that.

So if I added the numbers correctly, the Coyotes are now 3-2-0 against teams with a combined record of 17-5-2. I know, it's still early...

Tom Polakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:27 AM
ower

vCash: 966
Quote:
It's great to read the other team's threads after we win. LA, Pitt and now SJ. all of them think their team played their worst game of the year against are boring "trap happy" team
so we're a boring trap happy team because their team couldn't figure out how to beat it and we're no longer a free easy win for them. they can complain all they want, thanks for the points SJ

ower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:29 AM
DouX
Keeping Arizona Icy

A couple things I noticed tonight, Upshall is a wild man, he plays with a lot of intensity and he really pissed the Sharks off. How many times did he take the puck away from the Sharks and prevent them from creating an attack? Great game by Upshall. Also Bissonnette can throw down. I loved his fight, he really surprised Shelley with all those quick jabs to the chin.

Bryz is awesome, he looks so relaxed back there at all times. I love the fact that he has two shutout's against two of the more talented teams in the NHL so far. Hanzal works hard and makes plays. He really slowed down Thornton tonight, and didn't allow him to make any easy passes, or shots. Tippett has done a good job so far, he has this team believing, now we have a few days to work on offense and get ready for the Blues at home. Great win.

DouX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:32 AM
Colt45Blast
Torres FTW

At this point our goaltending is the most improved followed by our defense and still need improvement on offense.

Hopefully Mueller will start scoring goals in non shootouts after getting one in the shootout.

Right now it seems we have went from one extreme to the next with regards to full-stregenth and special teams!

Last season we the team won more of its games on full strength play and now we put so much focus on special teams that we need to

get our ability to score at full strength up. Tonight was the type of game where if we were to win in regulation we need to have Doan Mueller and Hanzel to score no matter if its full strgenth or power play!
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:32 AM
ower

Quote:

I'll admit I didn't

Old
10-13-2009, 12:37 AM
indczn

Figured there had to be a reason he was put in over Doan.

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:39 AM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanntownCA View Post
I still like Lisin
Rangers win 7-2. Lisin with 1 assist. Lisin minus 1 for the game.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:41 AM
gorsk11

What I was thinking...

Tippett - Good Grief - What now - Korpedo...Are you kidding me...Screw this - No more watching games....I'm done....this is frustrating.....After this summer..What about 5-6 other guys first... .Son of a.....

Great Move Coach...See you Thurs...

gorsk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:43 AM
ower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouXer4ouR View Post
he really surprised Shelley with all those quick jabs to the chin.
I think it was pretty much even, it looks like he took just as many jabs to the chin as well, I'll give Bissonnette the edge as it looks like he got the last couple in before Shelly slipped and they went down. If he's out in the STL game, I'm going to be convinced he's bribing Tippet.

Not sure why it's not showing up correctly, but you can view it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTDjs_YVkKg

Old
10-13-2009, 12:54 AM
WJF

vCash: 50
I know we're 1-1 over the last 2 games. BUT WE HAVE 0 GOALS!!!

If that's not cause for concern, I don't know what is. We were damn lucky tonight, damn lucky that San jose didn't take us seriously and didn't bring their 'A' game.

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:57 AM
DouX
Keeping Arizona Icy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Yote View Post

If that's not cause for concern, I don't know what is. We were damn lucky tonight, damn lucky that San jose didn't take us seriously and didn't bring their 'A' game.
We will score at least 3 goals next game guaranteed. Just watch, we will.

DouX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:07 AM
Jake16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo Taco Monday View Post
Bryz has been playing fantastic so far! 2nd shutout this season!
Against 2 upper echelon, high scoring teams: Pens and Sharks, ON THE ROAD!

I LOVE the fact that Tippett doen't change up the lines after the second shift of every game like Gretzky did. How in the world can a forward line gel and learn how to play as a unit when its a different combination twice a day?

Jake16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:28 AM
HockeyHillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
I'd venture to guess that Tippet put Korpikoski out there because he's a complete unknown to Nabokov. Put him out there and see what happens. I liked that move and even more since it worked.
Kind of right... The move Korpikoski used was actually Jussi Jokinen's. Who was 9 for 9 until (& here's the irony) Nabokov stopped him.

Believe me, Tipsy was well aware of this.

HockeyHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:31 AM
howlincoyote2k1

On a similar 'scoring' token, Coyotes goaltenders have given up just three goals in the last 12+ periods of hockey. Not too shabby if I do say so myself

howlincoyote2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:32 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ower View Post
I think it was pretty much even, it looks like he took just as many jabs to the chin as well, I'll give Bissonnette the edge as it looks like he got the last couple in before Shelly slipped and they went down. If he's out in the STL game, I'm going to be convinced he's bribing Tippet.
When you're embedding, you only need to wrap the tags around the part after the "v=".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTDjs_YVkKg

Also, I disagree with your assessment of the fight, and of Bissonnette, in general. I think he's been great. He throws his weight around every shift, and has made every effort to make his presence known, whenever possible. During the white out he probably gave us more to cheer about than any other player. As for that fight, I don't think Shelley slipped. I'm pretty sure Bissonnette inadvertantly clocked him with his pad. You can see him miss with the right, and connect with his forearm, as his pad instantly goes flying(the 1:02 mark of the video). Those pads have hard plastic shells on them. They have been used as weapons in hockey fights, at times.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:39 AM
Sceva Sct
on the edge

Here's a fun tidbit....even though the Yotes have been shutout twice in a row, we still have the 2nd best goals for/against ratio in the league.

Very solid game tonight though the team does seem a bit snake bit in the O-zone. A few more bodies in front of the goaltender would go a long way in solving that. Nabokov had way to many clear looks at the puck. I love this teams play in the neutral zone so far and their ability to make turnovers. For a 4th game in 6 nights I think the Yotes did a heck of a job against SJ.

Sceva Sct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:41 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Yote View Post

There is a correlation there. Our zero goals and San Jose "not bringing" it, tonight. We smothered them and shut them down. It's kind of hard to score a bunch when your entire focus is smothering a powerhouse team, and shutting them down. Coming in to tonight's game the Sharks were averaging FOUR goals a game. FOUR!!! That's what we prepared for. To neutralize them. You want our squad to attempt to run and gun with their squad. That's suicide. We did what we had to do to pick up a couple of valuable points. It's like a prize fight where we clinched and jabbed the knockout fighter all night long in order to win on points and steal his belt. It's not pretty, but it worked. It also sure as **** wasn't luck. We weren't lucky, we were effective. Big difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indczn View Post
Figured there had to be a reason he was put in over Doan.
Doan isn't exactly "feeling it", right now. With the puck, I mean. He's pretty much resorted to just firing it right at the goalie's chest, this game. He needs to get one quick before the frustration sets in and leads to distraction.
Quote:
Is Peter Mueller on this team still? yeesh
If he can't figure things out in the next couple dozen games, I'd think about moving him for a younger player that would fit in better. A guy who skates, and plays with a lot of effort. Maybe someone like Andrew Cogliano, who probably doesn't have the same upside, but is clearly a much better fit. It's still very early, but I just don't really like Mueller. There is still time for him to change my mind, but that time is running out very, very quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouXer4ouR View Post
A couple things I noticed tonight, Upshall is a wild man, he plays with a lot of intensity and he really pissed the Sharks off. How many times did he take the puck away from the Sharks and prevent them from creating an attack? Great game by Upshall.
He and Boedker BELONG on the same line. They can't keep them seperate any longer. They would just be too perfect.

I do, however, understand why Boedker's been sheltered a little, early on. The LA game was a penalty fest, and he doesn't get a whole lot of specialty teams time. The Pittsburgh game had to be executed to a tee, and he's a young guy(again, penalty fest). Maybe he's not getting the finer points of the system as well as some of the veteren players. The same reason could apply to the San Jose game(too much attention to tight checking and detail required), and maybe Tippett was just worried about the young guy being too jittery at the White Out.

Last edited by rt: 10-13-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old
10-13-2009, 01:50 AM

I don't know what is known about Mueller or not, but every encounter I had with him reminded me of a stoner kid. I'm not sure if he is or not, but I really question his long term potential when I see his on-ice play matching his off-ice demeanor.

I too was thinking earlier, what is the general threshold for trading a guy like Mueller? If we could get a guy that fell down the draft order by comparison but is a better fit, would people be upset?

I personally don't believe that Mueller will ever be more than a second line complimentary player. If we could get someone with more diversity and that same potential, I'd be okay with it. Sign me up for Cogliano or Gagner. For the record, I also think that Turris is going to be a bust and Boedker is going to be the first higher pick we see that turns out to live to potential in recent years (Hanzal, Yandle, etc. are showing their potential already).

Last edited by Guest: 10-13-2009 at 01:57 AM.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:58 AM
SniperHF
aufheben's Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by ower View Post
so we're a boring trap happy team because their team couldn't figure out how to beat it
I love this. Before the Yotes were a bunch of bumbling buffoons with no system and now apparently we have a top notch shutdown trap system. I'll take a boring shutdown trap system over no system.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 02:02 AM
beanntownCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
There is a correlation there. Our zero goals and San Jose "not bringing" it, tonight. We smothered them and shut them down. It's kind of hard to score a bunch when your entire focus is smothering a powerhouse team, and shutting them down. Coming in to tonight's game the Sharks were averaging FOUR goals a game. FOUR!!! That's what we prepared for. To neutralize them. You want our squad to attempt to run and gun with their squad. That's suicide. We did what we had to do to pick up a couple of valuable points. It's like a prize fight where we clinched and jabbed the knockout fighter all night long in order to win on points and steal his belt. It's not pretty, but it worked. It also sure as **** wasn't luck. We weren't lucky, we were effective. Big difference.

Doan isn't exactly "feeling it", right now. With the puck, I mean. He's pretty much resorted to just firing it right at the goalie's chest, this game. He needs to get one quick before the frustration sets in and leads to distraction.

If he can't figure things out in the next couple dozen games, I'd think about moving him for a younger player that would fit in better. A guy who skates, and plays with a lot of effort. Maybe someone like Andrew Cogliano, who probably doesn't have the same upside, but is clearly a much better fit. It's still very early, but I just don't really like Mueller. There is still time for him to change my mind, but that time is running out very, very quickly.
He and Boedker BELONG on the same line. They can't keep them seperate any longer. They would just be too perfect.

I do, however, understand why Boedker's been sheltered a little, early on. The LA game was a penalty fest, and he doesn't get a whole lot of specialty teams time. The Pittsburgh game had to be executed to a tee, and he's a young guy(again, penalty fest). Maybe he's not getting the finer points of the system as well as some of the veteren players. The same reason could apply to the San Jose game(too much attention to tight checking and detail required), and maybe Tippett was just worried about the young guy being too jittery at the White Out.
You are seriously giving up on Mueller already? He's a scorer, yes, so he needs to produce,but you can't tradehim because he isn't producing right now,since no Coyote is producing points. He has a skill set that will fit with every NHL team including the Coyotes, give him time to adjust to a new system before you turn on him. If he is still not producing in a month or so then I would understand wanting to move him but 5 games in is not enough to move a young future franchise player because he isnt playing up to expectations.

beanntownCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 02:03 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converse View Post
Sign me up for Cogliano.
It's probably not at all realistic, but it could make some sense for Edmonton to gamble on such a trade. Take one of the game's elite playmakers in Hemsky, and place Mueller on a line with him, and another kid who can pass extremely well in Sam Gagner, and there could be fireworks. Cogliano makes sense for us because he's not slow, lazy or stupid. He's a tremmendous skater, works hard, is sound positionally, good in all three zones, back checks hard, can kill penalties, creates turnovers and odd man rushes, and has quite a bit of offensive talent, himself. Though, not nearly the upside of a guy like Mueller, in that department.