HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Glassman Salo - Knee Injury - (Out 4-6 Weeks)

Old
10-13-2009, 02:37 PM
opendoor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
It is tough to replace Salo as we saw last year. The Canucks were 9-10-3 last season during Salo’s four separate lineup absences, and 36-17-7 when he played. Couple that with the loss of one half of the Sedin duo and......
I always see that stat trotted out, but it completely ignores the fact that Luongo was injured for the majority (16 of 22 games) of Salo's absence. When Salo was injured and Luongo was healthy, the team went 3-2-1, with two of those losses coming in the first two games that Luongo came back from injury and during the team's 8 game losing streak.

I'd argue that Luongo's absence had much more to do with the team's record in that time than Salo's did, especially given that the the team only went 2-4-1 when Luongo was injured but Salo was healthy.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Placebo Effect

Figured as much, damn sprained MCL

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I always see that stat trotted out, but it completely ignores the fact that Luongo was injured for the majority (16 of 22 games) of Salo's absence. When Salo was injured and Luongo was healthy, the team went 3-2-1, with two of those losses coming in the first two games that Luongo came back from injury and during the team's 8 game losing streak.

I'd argue that Luongo's absence had much more to do with the team's record in that time than Salo's did, especially given that the the team only went 2-4-1 when Luongo was injured but Salo was healthy.
Vigneault seems to look at it differently.

Until he hurt his knee, Salo was playing 21:20 a game; only Calgary’s Jay Bouwmeester gets more ice time this young season.

“Sami’s a great player and every time he’s in our lineup, just look at the stats,” coach Alain Vigneault said Sunday. “Our team wins a lot more games than it loses.”

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
no D-man will be recalled from the Moose
Wow, that's crazy.

what happened to the depth??

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Wow, that's crazy.

It's still there. Rome plays, if he sucks or somebody else gets hurt there's another callup. No point in wasting cap room when we don't have a ton of it, or exposing a guy like Lukowich to recall waivers needlessly.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Placebo Effect

I really don't think Lukowich is playing a game for the Canucks this season at all. There is a very good chance he'd be claimed on waivers and the Canucks don't need to eat up half his salary.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 03:04 PM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by One95 View Post
I really don't think Lukowich is playing a game for the Canucks this season at all. There is a very good chance he'd be claimed on waivers and the Canucks don't need to eat up half his salary.
If one of our current top 7 go down after the trade deadline with a long term injury, he might get the call. Assuming there is no trades in the meantime.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 03:10 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
It's still there. Rome plays, if he sucks or somebody else gets hurt there's another callup. No point in wasting cap room when we don't have a ton of it, or exposing a guy like Lukowich to recall waivers needlessly.
With about $17 million in salary eligible for LTIR (Sedin, Demitra, Salo, Schneider, and Hansen) I don't think cap space is going to be an issue for the next while.

Old
10-13-2009, 03:17 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Vigneault seems to look at it differently.

That's nice, but it's still a useless stat that completely ignores the more important factor of Luongo being gone for the majority of Salo's missed time. Unless Luongo gets injured again, the team's record last year without Salo is largely irrelevant.

Quote:

Until he hurt his knee, Salo was playing 21:20 a game; only Calgary’s Jay Bouwmeester gets more ice time this young season.
Might want to check your facts before you copy and paste them from an article. There are 77 defensemen this year that have averaged more time per game than Salo's 21:20, including two guys on his own team.

Old
10-13-2009, 03:39 PM
roach9

Sprained MCL.

Out 4-6.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=294736

roach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 03:42 PM
jimmythescot

This season just keeps getting better.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
Sprained MCL.

Out 4-6.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=294736
Already noted at post #75.
http://communities.canada.com/thepro...4-6-weeks.aspx

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 04:31 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

On the plus side, with 3 of the injuries in the 4-6 weeks range, at least they should be coming back around the same time.

10-13-2009, 04:34 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Here comes ROME!

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 04:55 PM
HamhuisHip
LeggsOverMyHamhuis

Quote:
With about $17 million in salary eligible for LTIR (Sedin, Demitra, Salo, Schneider, and Hansen) I don't think cap space is going to be an issue for the next while.
If you pro-rate the $17M salary to the minimum time allowed (28 days) there is almost $2.5M in salary cap cushion from LTIR. Obviously some players will be out longer than the minimum. My best guess based on the middle ground of published estimated times and recover reports would be something like:
Sedin = 35 days
Demitra = 60 days (by all accounts his rehab is going slowly)
Salo = 35 days
Schneider = 28 days (I think he is almost ready now)
Hansen = 35 days (haven't heard much on his recovery)

That equates to about $3.5M in salary cap cushion from LTIR. Not sure how much we are projected to use of that cushion before the deadline, but it should be equal to the $3.5M less replacement player salaries. So assuming we were up against the cap at the beginning of the season, which I think we were, say $2 - 2.5M of cushion at the deadline.

HamhuisHip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 05:31 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundskeeperWillie View Post
If you pro-rate the $17M salary to the minimum time allowed (28 days) there is almost $2.5M in salary cap cushion from LTIR. Obviously some players will be out longer than the minimum. My best guess based on the middle ground of published estimated times and recover reports would be something like:
Sedin = 35 days
Demitra = 60 days (by all accounts his rehab is going slowly)
Salo = 35 days
Schneider = 28 days (I think he is almost ready now)
Hansen = 35 days (haven't heard much on his recovery)

That equates to about $3.5M in salary cap cushion from LTIR. Not sure how much we are projected to use of that cushion before the deadline, but it should be equal to the $3.5M less replacement player salaries. So assuming we were up against the cap at the beginning of the season, which I think we were, say $2 - 2.5M of cushion at the deadline.
The cushion disappears once the player returns and cannot be built up, so there's no benefit come trade deadline from having a bunch of LTIR players (unless they stay out the entire year). Right now the Canucks could go about $13 million or so over the cap, but as soon as players begin to return, room would need to be cleared to bring the team below the upper limit.

Old
10-13-2009, 05:56 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Wow, that's crazy.

I don't think they are calling anyone up b/c of how close Schneider is to being ready to play. He said himself that he felt ready at the beginning of the regular season, so it is likely he comes back ASAP on Oct 24.

I think SOB and Rome will stick it out until that time. But i would definitely like to see Lukowich, but i guess if they say no one is coming, then too bad for me. So in about a week, we should see:

Mitchell - Edler
Bieksa - SOB
Ehrhoff - Schneider
Rome

Doesn't look too bad to me. But in the mean time, i expect some awful gaffes from our d.

thefeebster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 06:02 PM
pitseleh

I don't think the Canucks can afford the risk (cap-wise) of brining Lukowich up through re-entry waivers.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 06:14 PM
HamhuisHip
LeggsOverMyHamhuis

Quote:
The cushion disappears once the player returns and cannot be built up, so there's no benefit come trade deadline from having a bunch of LTIR players (unless they stay out the entire year). Right now the Canucks could go about $13 million or so over the cap, but as soon as players begin to return, room would need to be cleared to bring the team below the upper limit.
I don't recall the LTIR cushion disappears once the player comes back. As I understand it a team gains LTIR relief based on the pro-rated salary of the player(s) on LTIR. However the LTIR relief is only realized if the teams actual salary exceeds the salary cap and only to the LTIR relief amount. A team, like the Canucks, at the cap limit can 'go over' the cap by the pro-rated LTIR salary 'cushion'. All salaries paid throughout the season, including replacement players are then calculated against the cap limit plus the LTIR cushion if applicable (re: salaries paid exceed salary cap).

Not sure if this makes sense or not, maybe someone else can explain it better.

HamhuisHip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 06:21 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundskeeperWillie View Post
I don't recall the LTIR cushion disappears once the player comes back. As I understand it a team gains LTIR relief based on the pro-rated salary of the player(s) on LTIR. However the LTIR relief is only realized if the teams actual salary exceeds the salary cap and only to the LTIR relief amount. A team, like the Canucks, at the cap limit can 'go over' the cap by the pro-rated LTIR salary 'cushion'. All salaries paid throughout the season, including replacement players are then calculated against the cap limit plus the LTIR cushion if applicable (re: salaries paid exceed salary cap).

Not sure if this makes sense or not, maybe someone else can explain it better.
From what I understand, the cushion only exists insofar as it's actually used. If the Canucks have $10+ million of LTIR exemption but only use $3 million of it, there is no benefit when the players return to the lineup. The only cushion that exists is that which is actually used by the club during the LTIR period. So once Daniel Sedin (or Demitra, or whoever) returns, there is no benefit from his LTIR period for the team because they'll have had to clear any salary they added to become cap compliant.

Old
10-13-2009, 06:53 PM
bobbyb2009

Quote:
From what I understand, the cushion only exists insofar as it's actually used. If the Canucks have $10+ million of LTIR exemption but only use $3 million of it, there is no benefit when the players return to the lineup. The only cushion that exists is that which is actually used by the club during the LTIR period. So once Daniel Sedin (or Demitra, or whoever) returns, there is no benefit from his LTIR period for the team because they'll have had to clear any salary they added to become cap compliant.
Who can tell us which of these perspectives is correct? I have been asking this question for some time.... it makes for a very important difference in what the next moves could and should be.

bobbyb2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 09:00 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by illogic View Post
Is that correct? I'd never heard that before.

They both shoot left, which would indicate that they're both right-handed, but I guess that doesn't necessarily have to be the case.
Daniel signed an autograph for me once left handed and I asked him if Henrik was also left-handed and he said no, that he was right-handed.

Now the possibility does exist that I might have Daniel and Henrik confused...

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
The good news is, Rome looked really good in the pre-season better than any 7th (or 8th or 9th depending how you look at it) dman Canucks have had for the past 5 years.

The bad news is, it was pre-season and as we've seen, it doesn't seem to mean much.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 09:05 PM
timorousme
luongod

Now would be a good time for Luongo to take his run at a shutout streak.

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Peter Griffin

Hopefully Schneider will be back ASAP. Should help take some of the sting off of losing Salo.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote