HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Eklund - Sharks and Toronto - Couture

Old
10-12-2009, 02:17 AM
skilks
This is nightmare

vCash: 500
Eklund - Sharks and Toronto - Couture

Yes we all know Eklund is full of it, but this still rises an interesting question for the board:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklund
I am also hearing that the Sharks are talking to Toronto about one of the Leafs Defenseman. The Sharks I am told like Van Ryan and White, while the Leafs are interested in Logan Cotoure. Not saying that there isn't more involved, just the only names I am hearing...
What do you think?

Obviously any stability in our defense would be a major plus. Is it worth Cotoure? Considering many think he will never reach his potential do you think that would be a fair value trade?

skilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 02:19 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

oh come on. Van Ryn and white both offer one thing and one thing only: offence. On a team that already has Dan Boyle and Jason Demers for that very same purpose, why would we want another player of that type? That won't stabilize a damn thing.

This is pointless Ek rumormongering.

EDIT: Oh, and I wouldn't say "most" people don't think he'll reach his potential. Most people think he'll be a good #2 or very good #3. He's done nothing to this point to show that he can't become that.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 02:20 AM
drunksage
#88: The Savior.

vCash: 1004
FFS, spelling.

brb punching a pillow

drunksage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 02:22 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Token "So this means that it won't be happening"

I would think that Couture has more value than those guys. Plus, like Nem said, they wouldn't be filling the need we are looking for

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 02:31 AM
The Mannschaft

Send a message via ICQ to The Mannschaft Send a message via AIM to The Mannschaft Send a message via MSN to The Mannschaft
Ian White is a good hockey player, but i don't think he has the kind of character that the Sharks want on this team. If they are trading Couture, it should be for a bigger upgrade than either of these guys

The Mannschaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 02:48 AM
TheDanceOfMaternity

I'm not looking forward to it, but I could see Couture being traded for Kaberle if the Leafs don't plan on resigning him (although he isn't a UFA until after next season, jeez it feels like it's been his last year with the leafs every year for three years!)

TheDanceOfMaternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 03:02 AM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
I'd say two firsts and a second.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 03:11 AM
SharksAddict

Can the Sharks even afford either of these guys under the cap?

SharksAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 03:23 AM
SC2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksAddict View Post
We would need to send some roster players back their way. So something like Couture/Huskins/Shelley for White/Van Ryn + Pick

With that said, I would trade Couture in a heartbeat for some solid defense.

I don't see Couture being much better than Pavs. With Thornton, Marleau, and Pavs with plenty of good years ahead, I can't Couture breaking in the top 6 in the next two years--our window to win the Cup.

SC2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 03:30 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
A top prospect for Van Ryn and/or White ... Really?!?

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 03:32 AM
sjshark91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
A top prospect for Van Ryn and/or White ... Really?!?

Old
10-12-2009, 03:32 AM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksAddict View Post
By deadline they can afford a stud rental let alone these two (white is cheap and his rfa won't be that much I think), and assuming we resign Pavs, which of course we will, what will do with Couture? As a third liner he'd be over 1 mil, which is how much we could probably get a solid vet 3rd liner for, like Malhotra if he sticks around. If we could trade him for a solid defenseman, I wouldn't be against it. I used to think we were killing our depth but as it is we are absolutely getting steals with seventh rounders, and ANY pick we make next draft will start to help us right when we begin our rebuild anyway so IMO we can afford to trade em for help now while a cup is in our sights.

White's pretty good though, the lil I've seen of him. He would easily be top 4 on our team IMO, he's pretty solid defensively.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 03:35 AM
sjshark91

Old
10-12-2009, 03:45 AM
Lee Van Cleef*

White is a very underrated player. I wouldn't mind trading for him.

Lee Van Cleef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 07:36 AM

There's no way the Sharks trade Couture for both of those guys...and when you consider they'd have to dump current roster guys to add those two, there's even less than a "no way" chance it will happen.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 08:17 AM
matt trick

Thornton-Pavelski-Mitchell are probably going to be our top 3 for a while (although Mitchell may be converted to wing). Couture will probably be ready in about 1-2 years. I am not sure they will have room for him, and even if Mitchell did convert to wing, I don't know if Couture has the grit to be a third line center (though I have heard people throw out Alyn McCauley comparisons). Because of organizational depth, and a lack of depth in other areas (wingers, d-men), I wouldn't be surprised if Couture was available, despite the org supposedly loving him.

If it were up to me, I would look into trading him for an equivalent winger prospect or d prospect. The way I see it even if you were to move, Couture, the first thing the Sharks need to add is two winger, followed by a top end d-man (though we are loaded with #4-#6 guys), than a center. Hopefully Ferrerio and one of the goalies can fill a top 6 hole and future starter.

I would also be okay with trading Couture to a team for a young cap casualty (Coburn, Barker, Versteeg, Sharp, Wheeler). Not that I think many of those guys will be moved, but some will be. I also recognize we have our own cap problems, but if they do a little bit of shifting around they could easily fit a $3 mill contract in.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Couture will be kept until they get the two Joes signed to another deal. At that point, they will either trade him to try and replace what would likely be Marleau the way things are looking or convert him to wing.

Right now, Couture is our insurance policy in case Thornton or Pavelski decide not to stay after next year (this year for Pavs).

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Mr Scarface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
White is a very underrated player. I wouldn't mind trading for him.
He is that. One of my favourites in Toronto. He is a Real Man. That's something I can't say about so many of these NHLers. White has played very good offensively this season, putting that on the move. Passing that thang.

But, we already have Demers, Boyle, Blake...... I don't see where we need White. Unless we sent one of these guys to Toronto, and that ain't happening.

Van Ryn is on of those rare two-way D-men, who can do both. But he's always injured, we don't need him.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 08:35 AM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Couture will be kept until they get the two Joes signed to another deal. At that point, they will either trade him to try and replace what would likely be Marleau the way things are looking or convert him to wing.

Right now, Couture is our insurance policy in case Thornton or Pavelski decide not to stay after next year (this year for Pavs).
I think the plan has always been to let Marleau go, but if he has a good year and wants to sign a Hossa-like contract, I can't see the team turning him down. You can't just find 1st line two-way forwards of Marleau's quality of the FA market. Getting him for 4-4.5 mill would be an absolute steal. Doug must know this.

Also, I have been encouraged by the comments from Todd (and maybe Doug as well) regarding Patty having the opportunity to whine or complain, and he didn't do so.

On Couture, I agree that he is a very good insurance policy, but I think Thornton and Pavs, along with Heatley and Boyle, are the safest on the team. I would bet Joe will be signed and sealed come next July 1st. I agree that converting to wing is something the org is almost certainly considering, but Couture's game is very much a center's game, of course players change.

If they manage to keep Heatley, Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, and Setoguchi, the major hole that is our prospect forward depth (and wingers in particular) is not nearly as bad as it is if we lose one. It shouldn't be noted that keep those five, will almost certainly mean the end of Nabby's time in San Jose.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 09:41 AM
sjshrky27

So Ive been following the rumor mill for the last 2 seasons. I cannot remember a time Ek ever came close to being correct on a rumor 100%. Yes, he has come close. But all one has to do is surf the internet hockey sites to do that IMO.

Has he ever predicted a blockbuster trade/signing before everyone else????

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Ender

Send a message via AIM to Ender Send a message via Yahoo to Ender
This won't happen. The Sharks are probably interested in a defenseman, but to add one right now is not a plan I'd think. I'd imagine they'll gun for a strong defensive defenseman around the deadline. Perhaps they'll give up Couture in part of a deal, but not for either one of those guys.

Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:59 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
This won't happen. The Sharks are probably interested in a defenseman, but to add one right now is not a plan I'd think. I'd imagine they'll gun for a strong defensive defenseman around the deadline. Perhaps they'll give up Couture in part of a deal, but not for either one of those guys.
Ya DW made it pretty clear that he's going to exploit teams like Chicago that are completely cap hosed.

That said, I miss Rivet. He'd be perfect for this team right now.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 11:19 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...-leaf-disaster

I'm thinking that the Leafs might be more inclined for other things, than Couture.

I agree their goal tending might be more of a concern that scoring. (RW is saying it may take 1+ months before Toskala gets the hang of new goalie coach Allaire's system/style of play and to be effective.)

I don't think they'll be making any big trades for at least another month.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 11:44 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...-leaf-disaster

I'm thinking that the Leafs might be more inclined for other things, than Couture.

I agree their goal tending might be more of a concern that scoring. (RW is saying it may take 1+ months before Toskala gets the hang of new goalie coach Allaire's system/style of play and to be effective.)

I don't think they'll be making any big trades for at least another month.
Sexsmith + Couture + Huskins for Schenn.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 11:56 AM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post

Also, I have been encouraged by the comments from Todd (and maybe Doug as well) regarding Patty having the opportunity to whine or complain, and he didn't do so.
Maybe he doesn't want to hurt his trade/FA value like Heatley did

MadmanSJ is offline   Reply With Quote