HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Kings in SI's top 25 NHL players under 25

Old
10-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Ranma

vCash: 500
3 Kings in SI's top 25 NHL players under 25

Sarah Kwak, SI.com (10/7/09)
Quote:
18. Dustin Brown, Kings, RW (11/4/84)
The Kings heavy hitter has matured into a natural leader, earning the C last season and helping his young team find an identity.
Quote:
20. Anze Kopitar, Kings, C (8/24/87)
The creative center has led the team in points for the last two years. Some added support up front could help him return to 30-plus goals again.
Quote:
25. Drew Doughty, Kings, D (12/8/89)
The promising 19-year old blueliner's first season wasn't flashy (6 goals, 27 points, -17), but he quickly blended in with the young Kings, registered 13 of his 21 assists on the power play, led NHL rookies in ice time (23 minutes 49 seconds) and was rewarded with a spot on the league's all-rookie team.

Ranma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Chazz Reinhold

The fact that Brown is ranked ahead of Kopitar and Doughty completely discredits this for me.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Youngblood93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
The fact that Brown is ranked ahead of Kopitar and Doughty completely discredits this for me.
I would have to agree with you and does anyone else think Brown hasn't played like the Brown we've seen over the years in the first 2 games?

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehole93 View Post
I would have to agree with you and does anyone else think Brown hasn't played like the Brown we've seen over the years in the first 2 games?
He's trying too hard. He needs to start hitting.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Jebus
That boulder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
It's not too bad otherwise. But I have no idea why that numbskull from the Ducks is #13. Correy Perry over Shea Weber?

Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 102
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Brown has everything that hockey spectators want in a player. He has decent speed, hands, ability to score, and grit. He just needs to put it all together on a more consistent basis. There is still time for him, he is 24.

I think I am more shocked about Lucic being ahead of Brown more than Brown being ahead of Kopitar. He gets a huge pay increase for a 17-25-42 season and now he is better than Brown? I think even Boston fans would disagree with the article there.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Brown has everything that hockey spectators want in a player. He has decent speed, hands, ability to score, and grit. He just needs to put it all together on a more consistent basis. There is still time for him, he is 24.

I think I am more shocked about Lucic being ahead of Brown more than Brown being ahead of Kopitar. He gets a huge pay increase for a 17-25-42 season and now he is better than Brown? I think even Boston fans would disagree with the article there.
Last night on TSN, they were debating who in the NHL even comes close to Lucic in terms of the total package (emphasis on even comes close). McT said Brown, Jones said Byfuglien, McKenzie said nobody.

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 12:35 PM
FTheScene

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehole93 View Post
i noticed it the last 10 games or so of last season. i assumed that he was likely distracted by the premature birth status of his baby. unfortunately, i am seeing it the same as you this season thus far.

Does it seem to anyone else that he is having a hard time staying on his feet?

it's driving me crazy.

FTheScene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 02:16 PM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTheScene View Post
i noticed it the last 10 games or so of last season. i assumed that he was likely distracted by the premature birth status of his baby. unfortunately, i am seeing it the same as you this season thus far.

it's driving me crazy.
Yea, he looks like Brownie from 3 years ago, falling over himself everywhere on the ice. Its like hes out there slipping on ice or something

KingsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 02:26 PM
northernKing

Take it with a grain of salt. I've never been a Kwak or Quack fan!

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 02:30 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsRule View Post
Yea, he looks like Brownie from 3 years ago, falling over himself everywhere on the ice. Its like hes out there slipping on ice or something
It's a fine line between drawing penalties and diving. Brown is slowly slipping towards a reputation for the latter.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 02:32 PM
northernKing

Atleast AO is number one and not Crosby. In Canada the media seems hell bent on justifying Crosby as the best player in the NHL. Heck I think Crosby's facebook page is located at www.tsn.ca!

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
Atleast AO is number one and not Crosby. In Canada the media seems hell bent on justifying Crosby as the best player in the NHL. Heck I think Crosby's facebook page is located at www.tsn.ca!
This is such a lie it is not even funny.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 02:54 PM
KingsRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
id take cros all day over ovegtable. i cant stand that showboat. his skills are incredible though dont get me wrong.

Old
10-08-2009, 03:36 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

I think Brown might be better off without a "C" on his jersey. He may be uncomfortable being a captain a la Marleau.

Having said that, it is just 2 games into the season but it's something worth thinking about.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 102
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
id take cros all day over ovegtable. i cant stand that showboat. his skills are incredible though dont get me wrong.
You are discounting Ovie because he is a showboat?

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I think Brown might be better off without a "C" on his jersey. He may be uncomfortable being a captain a la Marleau.

Having said that, it is just 2 games into the season but it's something worth thinking about.
I've wondered that as well, albeit in passing.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 04:32 PM
123slam

Brown hasn't been the same since the All-Star Break.

123slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Omni Owl

Quote:

Agreed completely. Brown is far too low key and shy to be a captain, just as Marleau was. I think its a heavy burden for a guy with his type of personality, and doesn't let him focus on his game.

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 05:07 PM
KingsRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
You are discounting Ovie because he is a showboat?
yes. I just think hes a punk. Amazing world class talent, but a punk. Theres just something about him, i cant pinpoint exactly, but im guessing thats why i dont like him.

Old
10-08-2009, 05:25 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabwaylingo View Post
Agreed completely. Brown is far too low key and shy to be a captain, just as Marleau was. I think its a heavy burden for a guy with his type of personality, and doesn't let him focus on his game.
I agree, I think it should have been given to a guy like Greene or maybe even OD until a younger guy(Brown or Kopi) is fully ready to take it.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 05:46 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
I agree, I think it should have been given to a guy like Greene or maybe even OD until a younger guy(Brown or Kopi) is fully ready to take it.
Greene would have been a great choice. If it wasn't his first year as a King last year, I bet he would have been.

It's too late (and also too early) to take it away from Brown. Maybe after this season or next if he isn't thriving by then, but otherwise, I can't imagine a scenario where they take it away from Brown.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTheScene View Post

it's driving me crazy.
Hey maybe having 2 young kids, being Captain, and the Kings spokesman has worn him out. He needs to get a Nanny, give his "C" to Smyth, and let Greene do the commercials.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Goallum

Quote:

I got a nice chuckle on Tuesday when Fox said something about Marleau never really being captain material as far as his personality and comfort level with the role, because Marleau and Brown do seem to be similar personalities, and because Fox would never come out and acknowledge that similar comments are probably just as apropos to Brown, Brown being one of his favorites, and Fox being a big hypocrite.

That being said, I do hope that he becomes more comfortable with the role, but not by being more vocal or any other crap like that (there are plenty of vets who are sufficiently vocal in the room by now), but by focusing on simply playing HIS game, without trying to live up to misguided views of others as to the kind of a player he is or should be.

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Mattias

Quote:
These old people who hate showboating....

Mattias is offline   Reply With Quote