HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bold moves could avert Leaf disaster

Old
10-12-2009, 09:35 AM
sgupca

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
stop starting Toskala, and sign someone like Legace or Feranadez
Waive Toskala and sign Fernandez to a 1 year 1.25mil dollar contract.

I like that idea of that.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Avs9500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
There are many that confuse incompetance with indifference. Some even goes as far as to say that if people stop going to games, the team will change it's ways. Such a ******** notion that words can't describe it.

Logic dicatates that every year MLSE would want to ice the best team and go as far into the playoffs as possible.
No man,its got nothing to do with the MLSE, its more to do with the Toronto media, Every GM we've had has succumbed to this, its been known, I believe Burke was pressured to pull off the Kessel move, BUT I still think its a great move regardless of our current position in the standing's. We just have a terrible team its got nothing to do with the MLSE if you really think about it. The Toronto media runs this team. We must always rely on quick fixes (JFJ) and we are just getting over that method. I laugh at people who thought we were even close to making the playoffs this year, and to those who think the MLSE is entirely at fault.

Avs9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 09:41 AM
rumman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
There are many that confuse incompetance with indifference. Some even goes as far as to say that if people stop going to games, the team will change it's ways. Such a ******** notion that words can't describe it.

Logic dicatates that every year MLSE would want to ice the best team and go as far into the playoffs as possible.
then someone please explain to me why the leafs haven't even been to the finals since 67? is it incompetence or indifference? obviously since MLSE want to win the cup every year they aren't indifferent to their fans, have never taken leaf mania for granted, wouldn't be happy to have sell out crowds every game regardless of how talented a team they ice, have never been happy just to win a couple of playoff rounds to pad the budget? now really, who's being naive?

rumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 09:51 AM
leafs123

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumman View Post
then someone please explain to me why the leafs haven't even been to the finals since 67? is it incompetence or indifference? obviously since MLSE want to win the cup every year they aren't indifferent to their fans, have never taken leaf mania for granted, wouldn't be happy to have sell out crowds every game regardless of how talented a team they ice, have never been happy just to win a couple of playoff rounds to pad the budget? now really, who's being naive?
you're obviously generalizing by saying that because the leafs haven't won the cup since 67, mlse is to blame...you seem unaware of the leafs history and ownership woes...i'm not saying that mlse is great, but i think they have made an effort to win by spending millions pre-cap and now by hiring burke in efforts to turn this team around...i would guarantee you that mlse wants to win, but doesnt know how to (they have made poor decisions through management and player personel)...lastly, if you believe that they only seek profit, then winning should be a must for them, because if they win, profits will hit stratospheric levels for mlse

leafs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:00 AM
trickster

This is a terrible article. The solution is not waiving blake and toskala in order to add more overpriced players that other teams do not want... Why is the Leaf media so hard on current Leafs and so in love with other teams' garbage?

Cox moves up one rung on the idiot ladder on this one.

Truth about Toskala is that the team in front of him has looked terrible... If they do not show some offense, its all a waiting game until the other team scores... Rather than give Toskala a reason to keep the Leafs in the game, the team in front is making it easy for Toskala to look horrible...

This is truly a Larry Murphy situation... Leaf Nation just wants to chipping away at Toskala for the sake of something to talk about.

trickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:03 AM
trickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
Waive Toskala and sign Fernandez to a 1 year 1.25mil dollar contract.

I like that idea of that.
OMG - no.

Honestly. Stop the madness. It would not matter who was in net in the past 4 games.

trickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster View Post
This is a terrible article. The solution is not waiving blake and toskala in order to add more overpriced players that other teams do not want... Why is the Leaf media so hard on current Leafs and so in love with other teams' garbage?
Took the words right out of my mouth.

What I wouldn't mind doing though is taking JS Giguere from the Ducks. He has this year and next year remaining on his 6 mil a year deal, but he's worked with Allaire before, and could be a great mentor for Gustavsson.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:09 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster View Post
OMG - no.

Honestly. Stop the madness. It would not matter who was in net in the past 4 games.
Really? I would love someone to point to ONE big save Toskala made in the last game? Just ONE.

The team has sucked, but I recall many a year where we sucked and the goaltending bailed us out of a few games. The simple fact, we can make excuses all day long, but Toskala hasn't made one save all season when we've needed it, and that's a big part of the problem. Other teams do have goalies that "steal" games.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:12 AM
SteveV*

Just to add, has there been one game where we haven't said "Toskala wishes he could have had that one back".

Old
10-12-2009, 10:14 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
stop starting Toskala, and sign someone like Legace or Feranadez
We have Joey Macdonald already.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:14 AM
rumman

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs123 View Post
you're obviously generalizing by saying that because the leafs haven't won the cup since 67, mlse is to blame...you seem unaware of the leafs history and ownership woes...i'm not saying that mlse is great, but i think they have made an effort to win by spending millions pre-cap and now by hiring burke in efforts to turn this team around...i would guarantee you that mlse wants to win, but doesnt know how to (they have made poor decisions through management and player personel)...lastly, if you believe that they only seek profit, then winning should be a must for them, because if they win, profits will hit stratospheric levels for mlse
i think MLSE are more than happy to generate the kind of profits they earn without contending for a cup, would they like to go deep in the playoffs every year, and get the extra millions that brings of course they would, but not at the cost of profits, MLSE is first and foremost a business, they aren't owned by a hockey loving rich guy like detroit, who'll lose millions every year to win the cup because of his love of the game and loyalty to the team's fans, they're a business that's accountable to their shareholders not their fans, and have to show profits, and justify expenses not to win a cup, but to show a profit, but your right this is just speculation on my part, but if it smells like a fish, looks like a fish, and tastes like a fish, chances are, its a fish.

rumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:15 AM
RogerRoeper*

I'm not sure what the point is to this article BTW. How is sending Toskala and Blake down averting a disaster?

Old
10-12-2009, 10:16 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
Took the words right out of my mouth.

What I wouldn't mind doing though is taking JS Giguere from the Ducks. He has this year and next year remaining on his 6 mil a year deal, but he's worked with Allaire before, and could be a great mentor for Gustavsson.
JS has a NMC or NTC, so that could be a sticking point in acquiring him. I'm sure he is available though. It would block Gusto a bit though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Really? I would love someone to point to ONE big save Toskala made in the last game? Just ONE.

The team has sucked, but I recall many a year where we sucked and the goaltending bailed us out of a few games. The simple fact, we can make excuses all day long, but Toskala hasn't made one save all season when we've needed it, and that's a big part of the problem. Other teams do have goalies that "steal" games.
He has made big saves, he made a huge stop late in regulation against Montreal to keep that game tied. He's been very poor this season and didn't come up big in the Washington or Pitts games. The Washington game was total domination by them until the game was out of reach. They ate up Toskala then made Gusto look like an amateur. Missed the first 3-4 goals Pitts scored, but saw the replays. Would be nice to see a big save there, but it'd be nice to see a change in our penalty kill as well.

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:17 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
i think MLSE are more than happy to generate the kind of profits they earn without contending for a cup, would they like to go deep in the playoffs every year, and get the extra millions that brings of course they would, but not at the cost of profits, MLSE is first and foremost a business, they aren't owned by a hockey loving rich guy like detroit, who'll lose millions every year to win the cup because of his love of the game and loyalty to the team's fans, they're a business that's accountable to their shareholders not their fans, and have to show profits, and justify expenses not to win a cup, but to show a profit, but your right this is just speculation on my part, but if it smells like a fish, looks like a fish, and tastes like a fish, chances are, its a fish.
MLSE spent 60-70 million pre-lockout when they didn't have to. If they cared so much about profits they wouldn't have spent top 5 in NHl payroll.

Old
10-12-2009, 10:18 AM
leafs123

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I'm not sure what the point is to this article BTW. How is sending Toskala and Blake down averting a disaster?
by doing so, cox argues that burke will have cap space to make moves in order to better the team

Old
10-12-2009, 10:20 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
by doing so, cox argues that burke will have cap space to make moves in order to better the team
Yeah but what moves can he make during the season? He's getting a top-line addition in a month in Kessel. I don't see much chance to do anything.

Old
10-12-2009, 10:22 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Business people like making money. Winning is making money. With the salary cap in place, they can make loads of money with a limit on their largest cost. If your theory was true, they wouldn't be spending close to the cap, they'd be at the low-end, while selling out so they can play it safe and keep the money. Seems like you're just itching for someone to blame. The fact you blamed all the losses over the past 42 years on MLSE, when they haven't even owned the team for half of that period, suggests that as well.

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:24 AM
leafs123

Quote:
Yeah but what moves can he make during the season? He's getting a top-line addition in a month in Kessel. I don't see much chance to do anything.
burke will need to make a move regardless in order to accommodate kessel's cap hit when he returns in a months time

Old
10-12-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
so you think these guys have earned their spots on the team? as for tucker and raycroft, if the leafs had any idea what they were doing, they wouldn't have signed those players to the contracts they got.........very intelligent contribution on your part.
The Leafs have always been an organization that spends money.
Far from cheap IMO.
The problem is poor management decisions, a little bit of bad luck and loyal players refusing to waive their NTC/NMC clauses.

Two years ago we could have got a Kings ransom for Toskala at the trade deadline and Fletcher wouldn't part with him.

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:26 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
burke will need to make a move regardless in order to accommodate kessel's cap hit when he returns in a months time
Anyone have the cap number currently?

Old
10-12-2009, 10:27 AM
RogerRoeper*

Do people actually think those huge egos of guys that own MLSE don't desperately want a big, shiny, Stanley Cup ring to wear 24/7?

Old
10-12-2009, 10:28 AM
John-Eric Iannicello

I'd agree with Cox in terms of approaching Chicago looking for a trade.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:31 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
JS has a NMC or NTC, so that could be a sticking point in acquiring him. I'm sure he is available though. It would block Gusto a bit though.

He has made big saves, he made a huge stop late in regulation against Montreal to keep that game tied. He's been very poor this season and didn't come up big in the Washington or Pitts games. The Washington game was total domination by them until the game was out of reach. They ate up Toskala then made Gusto look like an amateur. Missed the first 3-4 goals Pitts scored, but saw the replays. Would be nice to see a big save there, but it'd be nice to see a change in our penalty kill as well.
Really, the Montreal game, wherein Price stole the game for the Habs? Exactly.

Old
10-12-2009, 10:32 AM
TheProspector

Blake? The only guy other than Kulemin who forechecks? Toskala ain't the problem. He isn't great, but the finger needs to be squarely pointed at the coach for implementing a lousy defensive system where every 3rd save has to be spectacular.

TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Anyone have the cap number currently?
Not sure how accurate these are.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=TOR

and there's this one

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=4

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote