HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Demitra's Rehab Going Badly

Old
10-12-2009, 02:14 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
It looks like Demitra may not be back for the foreseeable future as rehab on his injured shoulder is not going well.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...921/story.html
show of hands who is shocked by this development

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
My point is that 7 periods of hockey is too small of a sample size to make any conclusions about any individual player. There's just far too much fluctuation in a player's play due to the natural ebbs and flows of a season in that short of a period of time to definitely say anything.
I disagree with that and so apparently do the Canucks.

You restrict the evaluation to the NHL regular season games - that is too narrow a time frame.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by topheavyhookjaw View Post
I wonder if this continues if Demitra will retire. Didn't he mention before the season in a Slovak newspaper that this is likely his last year? If he has major problems getting back from this injury, it wouldn't be surprising to see him call it a career. As much as we need him back, if he can't get healthy...
He said, if the translation was accurate (and that's questionable, I just ran it through the google thing), that it was a 50-50 chance he'd retire after this season. And that was before he ran into trouble with rehab, so it wouldn't surprise me if that was an option - I just hope that if he does, it's before the trading deadline.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
You think Guillaume Desbiens is a better option than Shirokov? he can't even handle the puck or make a pass. Shirokov should be on the 3rd line with Wellwood and Glass.

If they really like Desbiens and think he will be a good player, he should take Rypiens spot.
How about Grabner then?

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Hooker

And people thought the Canucks were in trouble with the cap.

Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 02:24 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
I disagree with that and so apparently do the Canucks.
And that's why I asked the question in the first place. Why is one game not enough to establish an opinion on Desbiens while 7 periods is enough for Shirokov?

Quote:
You restrict the evaluation to the NHL regular season games - that is too narrow a time frame.
No, you are restricting evaluation to regular season games by saying that they aren't indicative of the level of competition of the NHL by bringing up the Steve Kariya. The only pertinent games in making the evaluation that Shirokov isn't ready are the three regular season games he played in.

If you don't restrict evaluation to the regular season then the argument that Shirokov wasn't ready becomes even thinner. He played very well in five pre-season games and so-so in his three regular season games. That's certainly not enough to merit a demotion.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
And that's why I asked the question in the first place. Why is one game not enough to establish an opinion on Desbiens while 7 periods is enough for Shirokov?

No, you are restricting evaluation to regular season games by saying that they aren't indicative of the level of competition of the NHL by bringing up the Steve Kariya. The only pertinent games in making the evaluation that Shirokov isn't ready are the three regular season games he played in.

If you don't restrict evaluation to the regular season then the argument that Shirokov wasn't ready becomes even thinner. He played very well in five pre-season games and so-so in his three regular season games. That's certainly not enough to merit a demotion.
As I said different players - different things being looked at. Some things are obvious during practise others during games. It is not a one size fits all sort of thing.

Old
10-12-2009, 04:29 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
There are other options. Bernier played a solid game on the first line.

Shirokov simply was not ready for the pace of the NHL. Time and space is at a premium and he needs to adapt his game to the North American rink. The best place to learn that is in the AHL.
developing his talents is one thing, winning in the NHL is completely different. He gives us a better chance for us to win IMO

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 04:35 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Shirokov will be back soon... people are overreacting to the fact that he is held back for ONE game in EIGHT days. He will dominate the AHL and come back when the Canucks actually play games. Would you guys rather he stayed up and sat around and lost confidence for two weeks?

SopelFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Ziostilon

is Demitra done like how Aaron Miller was done after that Jordin Tootoo

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Andy Dufresne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooker View Post
And people thought the Canucks were in trouble with the cap.
You know.....I'm not usually conspiracy theorist BUT....I've been wondering about the Canucks cap situation and how it would be resolved since we acquired Ehrhoff and Schneider on the same day. I'm not saying that I think Demitra's "faking" but if it turns out that Demitra's injured just long enough to really help the Canucks cap situation?? It'll make me wonder if there was some "collusion" between Demitra and Gillis. They ARE a lot closer than most GM to Player relationships are. A player agent to player relationship is basically a business partnership.

Some might point out that having a good player on the LTIR is hurting the team right now but I'm guessing that Gillis is a lot more big picture and a lot less panicky than the average fan. I feel the same way about young 4th liners like Desbiens and Glass playing on the 3rd line right now. It's more an evaluation process than an "OMG TONIGHT IS A MUST WIN" kind of thing.

Then again...Demitra could be finished and possibly our coach has an obsession with grinders!

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
developing his talents is one thing, winning in the NHL is completely different. He gives us a better chance for us to win IMO
The Canucks are 2-0 with Shirokov out of the line-up.

Old
10-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:
Against the 2 strongest teams in the league...

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Shirokov's absence from the lineup has as much to do with the Cauncks being 2-0 in the last two games as Glass and Desbien's presence: nothing.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
Shirokov's absence from the lineup has as much to do with the Cauncks being 2-0 in the last two games as Glass and Desbien's presence: nothing.
Or perhaps it has everything to do with it?

Old
10-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Against the 2 strongest teams in the league...
Dallas has yet to lose a game in regulation time (Buffalo is the only other team who can make that claim) and the Habs have the same number of points as the Canucks.

Old
10-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:
Dallas has yet to lose a game in regulation time (Buffalo is the only other team who can make that claim) and the Habs have the same number of points as the Canucks.
That's true, habs have 2 wins - they beat the Leafs and then Price stole one.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
big boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan View Post
Shirokov will be back soon... people are overreacting to the fact that he is held back for ONE game in EIGHT days. He will dominate the AHL and come back when the Canucks actually play games. Would you guys rather he stayed up and sat around and lost confidence for two weeks?
Also...Shirokov was not THAT bad in those 3 games. He looked a little lost at times, but he also passed very well, and got in to dangerous areas. I thought he looked quite slick at times.

Sure, after 3 losses the Canucks had to consider altering the mix, but - they also sent Shirokov down with a healthy daniel...and before other elements of our injury situation began to look more dire.

I cannot understand for the life of me why Grabner would be in the conversation, because he looked lost - in preseason ..where Shirokov looked excellent. Based on preseason game performance, determination, skill, intelligence ...and based on need - Shirokov should be called up and draw back in to the line up in the top 6. Bernier back to the 3rd line.

big boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ChemicalHansen

Send a message via Skype™ to ChemicalHansen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
Except Shirokov took a spot on the 2nd scoring line and was a minus 4 with zero production. He was replaced by Raymond who's scored a point, has been a + player and generally looked dangerous and more capable of maintaining possession. In those 3 games, he was a liability. Of course, he could improve with more confidence.

Neither Glass nor Desbiens have had to play as much of a role as the aforementioned players, evidenced by their ice time.

I don't agree with that comparison.

ChemicalHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by big boi View Post
I cannot understand for the life of me why Grabner would be in the conversation, because he looked lost - in preseason ..where Shirokov looked excellent.
The only reason why he'd be in the conversation would be based on the play on the Moose. Though it's hardly a concidence he's really upped it a few notches with Shirokov being there (giving Shirokov even more of a priority in the callup depth charts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalHansen View Post
Except Shirokov took a spot on the 2nd scoring line and was a minus 4 with zero production. He was replaced by Raymond who's scored a point, has been a + player and generally looked dangerous and more capable of maintaining possession. In those 3 games, he was a liability. Of course, he could improve with more confidence.

Neither Glass nor Desbiens have had to play as much of a role as the aforementioned players, evidenced by their ice time.

Except Desbiens was brought up as a result of Daniel being out not some bottom six forward as was the case of Glass.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Payaso619*

So, is he going to retire?

edit:

Payaso619* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalHansen View Post

I don't think it was a bad move to put Raymond on the second line over Shirokov. That has helped but having Shirokov absent entirely while having Wellwood play with Desbiens and Glass has not.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 06:18 PM
imkinger

Quote:

Dallas has only won one game and the Habs have lost three in a row.

imkinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkinger View Post
Dallas has only won one game and the Habs have lost three in a row.
Dallas is 11 spots ahead of the Canucks and the Habs are tied with Canucks.

It depends upon your viewpoint.

Old
10-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Except Desbiens was brought up as a result of Daniel being out not some bottom six forward as was the case of Glass.
With Bernier being promoted to the first line Desbiens was brought in as bottom six forward.