HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Demitra's Rehab Going Badly

Old
10-13-2009, 12:03 AM
FruityPants3*

vCash: 500
What do Demitra and Lindsay Lohan have in common?

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:04 AM
Bean in Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
both are addicted to pain killers?

Bean in Charge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:12 AM
bland

Kings fan here.

Is Demitra milking this one too, or is he legitimately hurt?

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
Kings fan here.

Is Demitra milking this one too, or is he legitimately hurt?
He is hurt. He had major reconstructive surgery on his shoulder. Tears at the front and back of the rotator cuff and there were also bone chips removed.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:21 AM
ChemicalHansen

Send a message via Skype™ to ChemicalHansen
Quote:
Allow me to ruin the humor:

Because it's a pop song, it sucks.

ChemicalHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:42 AM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
He is hurt. He had major reconstructive surgery on his shoulder. Tears at the front and back of the rotator cuff and there were also bone chips removed.
Thanks - I haven't followed your off and early season too closely.

There has always been this suspicion about Demitra and his willingness to play thru pain - any pain really. You hate to see a player endure something that major at this stage of his career.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 02:14 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
There has always been this suspicion about Demitra and his willingness to play thru pain - any pain really.
He did play through a fractured finger last February.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 06:46 AM
big boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
That scouting report is old. And not relevant.

I don't know why people keep talking about he's only 24, hasn't reached his potential yet, compared to Bertuzzi, etc... Bertuzzi had way more talent than Bernier will ever have. Bernier is not an elite player and never will be - he can be a complementary top 6 perhaps, but he certainly won't be creating the offense as he simply doesn't have the puck handling skill or vision. He also doesn't have the shot to be a sniper. If he scores 30 its because somebody put in on the tape of his stick 15' from the red line.

He does have some excellent qualities: a hard worker; a team player; very good in the corners; excellent fore-checker; an improved and acceptable skater; very improved defensively; and one of the best clean hitters in the league that I've seen. That role - whether its on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th role, is invaluable and if you have a few talented players plus a bunch of Berniers, you can win it all. Setting expectations beyond that only causes disappointment for the fans, the GM and even Bernier himself.

PS - he also lacks a mean streak. But, he also draws a lot more penalties than he takes.
Well said

big boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:11 AM
big boi

Quote:
At 24 many people were saying the same thing about Bertuzzi not having elite talent.
Okay, but similar to how people watch Shirokov, and form their own opinion based on observing his skill set, people can also do the same with Bernier. As outside99 mentions Bernier has a very valuable set of skills, but being an elite scoring powerforward does not, by all appearances, seem to be in the cards. Likewise, I think anyone who watched Bertuzzi play at a similar age could see he was immensly talented, but needed to put it all together. Which was why I would suggest, he was traded along with McCabe and a 3rd for Linden. Not because he did not appear to possess the requisite skills.

For another example, I'll use Mason Raymond. By all appearances, from watching him play (not through his early scouting report, or from comparing him to a player that he has very little in common with except for maybe size) he has all the tools. He's fast, he has a hard accurate shot, and he is quite a skillful puck handler. All that being said, he has not put it all together yet. He looks like his potential could be a 30 goal winger in the NHL..if he ever reaches it...he may not. But he obviously has more of that skill set than say...Rypein (not a perfect example, I know).

big boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 10:18 AM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
At 24 many people were saying the same thing about Bertuzzi not having elite talent.
Have you collected or observed any data that shows 'power forwards' take longer to develop than other players? Outside of Bertuzzi and one or two other examples?

Old
10-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Have you collected or observed any data that shows 'power forwards' take longer to develop than other players? Outside of Bertuzzi and one or two other examples?
Yes.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:50 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Yes.
Anything you'd like to share?

Let me guess: no.

Old
10-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Anything you'd like to share?

Let me guess: no.
It is all out there for you to research. There have even been a number of such threads in the past on HF Forums where this issue has been explored in depth.

Old
10-13-2009, 02:14 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
It is all out there for you to research. There have even been a number of such threads in the past on HF Forums where this issue has been explored in depth.

So what do you see in Bernier that makes you think he's more Bertuzzi than, say, Pyatt from an offensive standpoint?

Old
10-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
So what do you see in Bernier that makes you think he's more Bertuzzi than, say, Pyatt from an offensive standpoint?
He has higher level of intensity and is willing to hit more than Pyatt - more like Bertuzzi when he broke out.

Old
10-13-2009, 07:00 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
I don't know how this thread turned into a Bertuzzi/Bernier debate but Bernier's hands aren't even half as good as Bertuzzi's were or are. If you combined Bernier's work ethic and dedication with Bertuzzi's raw talent you would have the perfect power forward.

Bernier will never get close to the 100 point mark like Bert did. When he was on his game he was one of the best in the game.

Bernier will be a solid player but I'll be shocked if he ever breaks 30 goals on a consistent basis. Hell, I'll be thrilled if he does it once.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:22 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
I don't know how this thread turned into a Bertuzzi/Bernier debate but Bernier's hands aren't even half as good as Bertuzzi's were or are. If you combined Bernier's work ethic and dedication with Bertuzzi's raw talent you would have the perfect power forward.

Bernier will never get close to the 100 point mark like Bert did. When he was on his game he was one of the best in the game.

Bernier will be a solid player but I'll be shocked if he ever breaks 30 goals on a consistent basis. Hell, I'll be thrilled if he does it once.
His apathetic play for most of his career and the Moore incident have really washed out how good Bertuzzi was from most peoples' minds. He could have been a phenomenal player if he'd had a better attitude. The guy was gigantic, was surprisingly fast and agile, was mean as ****, had ridiculously good hands, was a very good passer, and had good on-ice vision. I'm a big fan of Bernier, but there's no comparison.

Even before Bertuzzi broke out, he'd give us 2 or 5 glimpses per season where he'd score a completely ridiculous goal seemingly out of nowhere. We haven't seen anything remotely like that out of Bernier.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Now would be a good time to have Cody Hodgson...

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Back on Demitra, I have that eerie feeling that he will be done for the year, just the timing of the announcement is too coincidental with Daniel's injury.

I believe although I don't know for sure, that it means his $4M is now available to sign or trade for a Centreman (or whatever else Gillis feels like trading for). But I can't figure out for the life of me which Centreman Gillis could possibly trade for that Canucks would be interested in among the teams that need to shake things up. Gillis now has the chequebook but is there anything worthwhile buying?

This actually deserves its own thread not because I said so but because I believe Gillis now has 2 excuses for pulling the trigger (so to speak).

Edit: I don't know if he's available (I know he's a UFA next summer) but I like Lombardi. He can be a 2nd, 3rd or 4th line centre (3rd most probably) and he's very good at killing penalties too...

Last edited by Outside99*: 10-14-2009 at 06:39 AM.
Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 09:02 PM
timorousme
luongod

Bertuzzi > Bernier > Pyatt

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 09:03 PM
timorousme
luongod

i have this conspiracy theory that Demitra is pretty much done and Gillis has known all summer, and operated as such

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
The Canucks revealed Thursday why Pavol Demitra has been slow to recover from offseason shoulder surgery.

Despite having had a medical procedure in May to repair tears to the front and back of his rotator cuff, Demitra remains out indefinitely. He hasn't been skating with the team and complained to The Province this week that there's "a lot of pain in the shoulder."

Head coach Alain Vigneault revealed Thursday the pain is from shoulder tendinitis, which means there is inflammation of the rotator cuff tendon.

"He got another injection a couple of days ago to relieve the tendinitis," Vigneault said. "That's what's slowing this down a little bit."
Vigneault said the team has no idea when he can be back on the ice, even to practice in non-contact drills.
http://communities.canada.com/thepro...o-canucks.aspx

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Just store him away on IR for the whole year if need be so he's fully healthy, and then activate him for the playoffs. Gives us room to add another Top 6 forward at the deadline.

Edler Von Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
Just store him away on IR for the whole year if need be so he's fully healthy, and then activate him for the playoffs. Gives us room to add another Top 6 forward at the deadline.
He'll only injure himself trying to get up to the press box

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 05:44 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorousme View Post
i have this conspiracy theory that Demitra is pretty much done and Gillis has known all summer, and operated as such
I actually suspect something amiss that may be along the lines of what you're saying as well. My theory is that effectively, Demitra and Schneider are this years Mats Sundin except they're actually on the payroll all season.

Who knows, maybe it is just a conspiracy theory, it's kind of interesting though.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote