HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PHI vs. ANA Comrie deals...

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2004, 07:28 PM
speeds

vCash: 500
PHI vs. ANA Comrie deals...

Not raising this to criticize Lowe, tough to use hindsight in that matter (though I'm not sure I would have taken the PHI package over the ANA package even at that time, but in any event it's over with and done for)

But, which deal would you prefer to have made, knowing then what we know now (and assuming the same final NHL standings)

Comrie and 3rd for Perry and 9th overall

vs.

Comrie for Woywitka, 24/25/30 (depending on playof results) overall, and 3rd

Old
04-08-2004, 07:35 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
Not raising this to criticize Lowe, tough to use hindsight in that matter (though I'm not sure I would have taken the PHI package over the ANA package even at that time, but in any event it's over with and done for)

But, which deal would you prefer to have made, knowing then what we know now (and assuming the same final NHL standings)

vs.

I'd still personally take the Philly deal. Woywitka addresses one of our main needs and may be ready as soon as next year to jump into the lineup and help out our defensive top 6. I hate to do this as it's extremely overdone but which group of players would you rather have:
Group 1: Briere, Morrow, Fischer, Ott
Group 2: Salei, Boynton, Rupp, Krahn
Group 1 is composed of some players recently selected at the 24/25 overall spot while group 2 is composed of players selected at the 9 overall spot. Pendergast has already admitted that the crop of talent in this year's draft drops big time after the top 2. I believe Woywitka is going to be a much better NHL player than Perry and thus I'd probably rather have the Philly deal. Likewise, we all know that Anaheim would have finished higher with Comrie in their lineup!
( )

Old
04-08-2004, 07:37 PM
Obsessed

I still like the deal Lowe made. Woywitka has been great on the farm and the draft pick is what you make of it. I haven't read many glowing reports of Cory Perry. Exactly the opposite acually. I would change nothing.

Old
04-08-2004, 07:40 PM
Lowetide

The top 10 pick sways the deal no matter the prospect involved. I think its a fair question, though, and imo it was at the time fairly evident that the ANA 1st rounder would be worth more than the PHI 1st rounder (based on standings).

I like Woywitka alot, though, he played a terrific game last night. He's not going to outscore Doug Lynch when the two get to the NHL, and his foot speed is somewhat disappointing, but he's got a nice wingspan and looks like he has an idea out there.

Old
04-08-2004, 07:59 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
out of Comrie's draft class of 1999 there is only one player to have scored more NHL points in that draft than Mike Comrie, he's Martin Havlat. Comrie had an immediate impact in Philly picking up some points, he would have done the same with the Ducks and they would have finished higher than they did and that has to be considered when making this comparison. I trust Lowe and Pendergrasts judgements since they have already shown the fans they know what they are doing.

Old
04-08-2004, 10:15 PM
Alfie#11

Quote:

vs.

I don't think Anaheim would be picking 9th overall if they had added a half-season of Comrie for nothing off the roster.

Old
04-08-2004, 11:07 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
This deal is going to take a couple of years...

If Perry never makes it to the NHL, that #9 pick is going to have to be better than Wyowitka and #24 and the 3rd rounder.

Likewise, the Oilers better steal something pretty fierce at 24 if Perry turns out to be a star and Jeff Struggles and that #9 pick is a goodie.

Either way, at the time, Anaheim wasn't picking 9th overall and they were one of the teams the Oilers had to compete against.

Old
04-09-2004, 12:21 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Ummm, :, based on what I know now, I think I still like the Woywitka one, in part because of the (in my mind) lowered risk that you'd end up trading Comrie for air. It seems like Woywitka will be solid and (as a guess) Perry may not and then you still have two of Philly's swings at the draft table to add to the pot. Considering how rapidly next years' draft falls off after the first couple, its important to not over-value the 9th position.

Old
04-09-2004, 12:47 AM
Mizral

I still prefer the Philly deal too, but it's worth nothing that Perry is having a ridiculously good regular season + playoffs. That team very well might win the Memorial Cup.

Old
04-09-2004, 12:59 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I still prefer the Philly deal too, but it's worth nothing that Perry is having a ridiculously good regular season + playoffs. That team very well might win the Memorial Cup.
Peter Sarno: 1997-98 Windsor Spitfires OHL, 64 GP, 33 G, 88A, 121 points
Corey Perry: 2003-04 London Knights OHL, 66 GP, 40 G, 73 A, 113 points

Old
04-09-2004, 02:31 AM
Hans Moleman
Was saying Boortuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
*sigh* I was really high on Sarno at the time. Then when he came back from Finland I thought maybe, just maybe he would make it here.

Old
04-09-2004, 02:38 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockzky
It's hockey Jim, but not as we know it
That avatar is the greatest thing I have ever seen.

Old
04-09-2004, 02:43 AM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Difference is Corey Perry is 6'3/195....

Old
04-09-2004, 02:54 AM
Tanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie#11
I don't think Anaheim would be picking 9th overall if they had added a half-season of Comrie for nothing off the roster.

Ya Comrie really helped turn Pheonix around.

Old
04-09-2004, 03:13 AM
Hans Moleman
Was saying Boortuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
That avatar is the greatest thing I have ever seen.
Don Cherry is my inspiration.

Comrie's at best another Langkow in Phoenix, he'll be part of something someday but he won't spark anything. Kind of funny though, I always saw him on the scoreboard the last few weeks, the only times he seemed completely ineffective was the games against Edmonton.

Old
04-09-2004, 08:47 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
thats just a silly thing to say, everyone on Phoenix was playing poor, what did he do at Philly? he scored points and thats the Comrie that could have ended up centering a line that has Friesen and Sykora meaning more points.

Old
04-09-2004, 10:24 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Wait, Miz. Did you mean to say "worth nothing" or "worth noting"?

Old
04-09-2004, 12:41 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
Wasn't the book on Corey Perry that he avoids contact and plays a perimeter game?

As dawgbone said, it'll be years before we know how this turns out.

I like to think that Lowe didn't take the Philly offer *just* to piss off Brian Murray. Woywitka's a guy who has played his junior hockey in the Oilers own back yard, and I expect that they had strong feelings about him.

Old
04-09-2004, 01:20 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
That makes no difference at all.. everything I've read/seen on Perry leads me to believe he plays like he's 5'10/170. He plays a very perimeter game from what I've seen and is a fairly good stick handler.. the knock on him has always been that he avoids the contact and rough stuff in the corners. Height/weight doesn't mean a thing if you don't use it properly..

Old
04-09-2004, 05:46 PM
YKOil

My feeling...

...is that Anaheim NEEDED the Comrie move to jumpstart the team.

I cannot say they would have made the play-offs but I can't help but believe that they would have jumped a few spots.

Which means that it would have been:

Philly's 24/25/30 & 3rd vs. Anaheims 13/14/15

And in THIS draft I think:

Woytwika + 3rd >>> Perry + 10 (or so) draft spots

If this years draft pool was like last years draft pool - maybe not.

YKOil

Old
04-09-2004, 06:48 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
The problem with the Anaheim trade is the Oilers would have had to give Anaheim Comrie plus the Oilers 3rd round pick. All the Oilers would have gotten was Perry and Anaheim's 1st rounder. The Philadelphia trade is better as they only had to give up Comrie but got in return. Why should the Oilers have to give the Mighty Ducks a draft pick when they're getting Comrie. Lowe made the right trade as Woywitka IMO is better than Cory Perry.

04-09-2004, 09:10 PM
Alfie#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by YKOil
...is that Anaheim NEEDED the Comrie move to jumpstart the team.

I cannot say they would have made the play-offs but I can't help but believe that they would have jumped a few spots.

Which means that it would have been:

Philly's 24/25/30 & 3rd vs. Anaheims 13/14/15

And in THIS draft I think:

Woytwika + 3rd >>> Perry + 10 (or so) draft spots

If this years draft pool was like last years draft pool - maybe not.

YKOil
Thanks YK. That's what I was getting at. Take a team that is struggling and give them a good player for nothing off their roster. Chances are they are going to win a couple of extra games. A couple extra wins = a couple of spots in the standings.

Old
04-09-2004, 11:24 PM
outKast*

wow i make a thread like this and people get all the mods to come together to get me banned for being dumb and outdated for bringing it up. speeds comes along and does the same thing and he's treated civilly. Seems like it's all about reputation around here. what? are we in high school all over again? anyhoo, i like the anaheim deal wayyyy better. Perry could turn into a solid 2nd line winger and the with the 9th pick overall we could choose a player with higher potential than Woywitka. Lynch is ready for the team next year, so we didn't need a defenseman that fast. I like Woywitka as a player but he's will he will never be a star in the league.

Last edited by outKast*: 04-10-2004 at 12:37 AM.
Old
04-09-2004, 11:29 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
wow i make a thread like this and people get all the mods to come together to get me banned for being stupid to bring it up. speeds comes along and does the same thing and he's treated civilly. Seems like it's all about reputation around here. what? are we in high school all over again? anyhoo, i like the anaheim deal wayyyy better. Perry could turn into a solid 2nd line center and the with the 9th pick overall we could choose a player with higher potential than Woywitka. Lynch is ready for the team next year, so we didn't need a defenseman that fast. I like Woywitka as a player but he's will he will never be a star in the league.

Go troll somewhere else.

Old
04-09-2004, 11:32 PM
outKast*

Which part of what i said offended you. The part when i said Perry? Is "Perry" a new derogatory or sexually obscene word these days? Did i attack you when i said Perry? Is "1st rounder" The new slang for the F word. so tell me where in that last post did i attack you or try trolling? you guys give me a bad wrap. you're 26 years old. act like it and grow up.

Closed Thread