HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

PHI vs. ANA Comrie deals...

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2004, 12:08 AM
momentai

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
Perry could turn into a solid 2nd line center and the with the 9th pick overall we could choose a player with higher potential than Woywitka. Lynch is ready for the team next year, so we didn't need a defenseman that fast. I like Woywitka as a player but he's will he will never be a star in the league.
That's going to be awful tough for Corey to be a potential second line center since he's a RIGHT WINGER .

And Lynch may or may not be ready next year. We really don't have a way of knowing that until training camp next season.

Woywitka may never be a star dman in the league - but he's expected to be a solid 3-4 guy for the club within the next 2 years at most. He may never be a star... but young Corey Perry may never ever crack the NHL with the style of game he apparently plays. I don't know about you... but I'd take a close to NHL ready solid dman over a guy that has serious flaws in his overall game in Perry as many have said. But hey.. maybe that's just me.

Last edited by momentai: 04-10-2004 at 12:23 AM.
Old
04-10-2004, 12:15 AM
momentai

Let's just say first impressions make a difference in how people view you outKast.

Quote:
Geeze Kevin Lowe is horrible at assesing trades.
#1 Anaheim picks 9th this year. Lowe just screwed us over a top 10 pick because he thought it wasn't "enough".roll eyes roll eyes

trust me.
An overbearing thread like this will not necessarily incite the intelligent responses that you might have liked. Attacking the GM before we understand that you know the situation involved is bound to get some negative responses.

Everyone here starts off on a clean slate... but first impressions are tough to break.

Old
04-10-2004, 12:29 AM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
That's going to be awful tough for Corey to be a potential second line center since he's a RIGHT WINGER .

And Lynch may or may not be ready next year. We really don't have a way of knowing that until training camp next season.

Woywitka may never be a star dman in the league - but he's expected to be a solid 3-4 guy for the club within the next 2 years at most. He may never be a star... but young Corey Perry may never ever crack the NHL with the style of game he apparently plays. I don't know about you... but I'd take a close to NHL ready solid dman over a guy that has serious flaws in his overall game in Perry as many have said. But hey.. maybe that's just me.
hahha ooops i feel stupid

Old
04-10-2004, 12:37 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
Not raising this to criticize Lowe, tough to use hindsight in that matter (though I'm not sure I would have taken the PHI package over the ANA package even at that time, but in any event it's over with and done for)

But, which deal would you prefer to have made, knowing then what we know now (and assuming the same final NHL standings)

Comrie and 3rd for Perry and 9th overall

vs.

Comrie for Woywitka, 24/25/30 (depending on playof results) overall, and 3rd
I don't think you can necessarily look at potential trades legitimately in hindsight in such a fashion speeds. Because when you are dealing mid-season, there is not only the draft picks, prospects, NHL players that are being dealt but also the very real consequences of what happens to both teams. (the team losing said player and the one gaining that player as well). That is also a consideration to take into account as well.

Regardless of how well Phoenix did with Comrie... bears no relevance to the risk of Lowe dealing Comrie to Anaheim. It was Clarke who made that deal and a trade to the Western conference does not come with the same inherent risks involved as a strictly West-West deal. There are intangible aspects of the trade to consider besides the prospects and picks.

Given that... I think we still have the better trade all things considered. But mainly because I see the very large question mark in Corey Perry as a NHL player. If it was a player like a Lupul, Chistov, Getzlaf... my opinion would certainly have changed. Even if the deal involved a guy like Vishnevsky.. I'd have to think about it a little more. As it stands, I could not endorse that Ana package over the Philly one for those very reasons even disregarding the intangible qualities to the trades themselves.

Old
04-10-2004, 01:05 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Which part of what i said offended you. The part when i said Perry? Is "Perry" a new derogatory or sexually obscene word these days? Did i attack you when i said Perry? Is "1st rounder" The new slang for the F word. so tell me where in that last post did i attack you or try trolling? you guys give me a bad wrap. you're 26 years old. act like it and grow up.
If Lowe had taken the Anaheim trade, Lowe would have been crucified by fans. The bad part about the Anaheim trade is all the Oilers would have gotten was Perry and a 1st round draft pick. They would have had to give up Comrie plus a 3rd round pick. What was Anaheim thinking. They wanted to fleece Lowe and wanted a draft pick on top of Comrie. I'm glad Lowe didn't take that trade. With Philadelphia, Lowe got Woywitka plus a 1st round pick this year and a 3rd round pick in 2005.

04-10-2004, 01:06 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
I don't think you can necessarily look at potential trades legitimately in hindsight in such a fashion speeds. Because when you are dealing mid-season, there is not only the draft picks, prospects, NHL players that are being dealt but also the very real consequences of what happens to both teams. (the team losing said player and the one gaining that player as well). That is also a consideration to take into account as well.
Understood, I wasn't very clear about it in my first post. I'm not really looking at the trade and saying "Lowe should have done this or that", I'm just basically wondering how the posters here compare the 2 packages, at this point in time.

Old
04-10-2004, 01:51 PM
Cerebral

Looking back on things now, a return of Chistov + Vishnevski would have been pretty amazing..

Old
04-10-2004, 03:33 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
Understood, I wasn't very clear about it in my first post. I'm not really looking at the trade and saying "Lowe should have done this or that", I'm just basically wondering how the posters here compare the 2 packages, at this point in time.
Perfectly understandable. For me, even with the top 10 pick from Anaheim... one of the major components in that deal - Corey Perry - still worries me.

Old
04-12-2004, 03:34 PM
CanmoreMike

I have long bagged on KLowe for not taking the Anahiem deal, often making the point that Stanley Cup Cinderella's suffer from an incredible hangover in the following years (I still stand by the statement Anahiem won't be better next year either!). I'll add that Comrie didn't make either of the team's he played for this year better. Not Philly, not Phoenix. To argue he would have immensely impacted Anahiem is a joke - they had problems with their D and their goalie this year.

That said...

I do like KLowe's moves if he plans to play aggressive at the draft and try and move up to get a player with impact potential. We have 2 firsts, which should be good for a move up a couple of spots. Throw in our depth at forward and defence on the big and small rosters (although both positions lack impact players) and we might have a move to make here. I could see a blockbuster brewing where the Oilers move up in the draft to one of the top spots (acknowledging 1 and 2 are probably not for trade) and nab that player who in a year or so could have a real impact on the roster.

Old
04-12-2004, 04:51 PM
barto

CanmoreMike, I disagree with you that Comrie wouldn't have helped the Ducks move up in the standings, at least a few notches, but obviously that's just speculation.

More interesting speculation, though (and some I agree with!), is the part about Lowe using up some of his acquired assets to make some kind of big move at the draft.

We're looking pretty good for depth on the back-end right now, so I could see either Jason Smith dealt at the draft (if he won't sign an Staios/Moreau-like deal) or some of our other defensive depth, maybe even Brewer for the right deal. Also might have a spare forward or two, and some 'spare' draft picks, too.

We'll see how the impending lock-out/strike will affect the draft-day decisions of the GMs out there, too.

Bart

Old
04-13-2004, 08:55 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Let's put it this way...

Not a single poster here didn't think that Comrie wouldn't make whatever team he was traded too better.

Everyone here thought the same thing, if Comrie went to a team that the Oilers were battling for a playoff spot against, Comrie would put that team over the top in terms of Edmonton vs them in a battle for the playoffs.

That being said, just because Comrie didn't help Philly, and Phoenix fell apart completely doesn't mean Anaheim would have done the same.

If you want to see why Phoenix collapsed, look no farther than Mr. Doan. He carried that team the first 50 games, and he ran out of gas (something like 8 goals and a -17 in his last 30 games).

Old
04-13-2004, 09:05 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
If you want to see why Phoenix collapsed, look no farther than Mr. Doan. He carried that team the first 50 games, and he ran out of gas (something like 8 goals and a -17 in his last 30 games).
Boucher fell apart as well. Man was he horrible during the last month or so.

Closed Thread