HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Mr. Anderson thread

Old
10-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Foppa Frossa

vCash: 50
The Mr. Anderson thread

Five games into the season, what do we think? He has currently faced more shots than any other goalie, 170, but luckily he has also saved more shots than any other goalie, 159 - for a .935 save percentage (9th in the league). Admittedly I've only seen two games, and while I've seen him make some spectacular saves, he has also seemed scarily out of position in other instances. He seems to have a propensity to over-commit on plays, as illustrated in the game against Boston when he tripped Savard to prevent a real good scoring chance on the wrap-around. It also seems that his lateral movement can be a little out of control at times.

That being said, I think he was a steal for the Avs, and if he can keep up these numbers will be the best goaltender we've had since Patrick Roy. I am still a little hesitant to call him a legit #1 NHL goaltender, as he has yet to prove consistency over the long term, but I believe he's a big upgrade over what we had last season. Is Thibault still working with the goalies 2 weeks a month? Any word on how that is working out? Any indication of chemistry between Andy and Boods?

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 06:20 PM
shadow1

vCash: 500
I've saw him play numerous times when he was with Florida, and the only difference I notice between there and Colorado is that he just looks larger in the net.

He doesn't have a whole lot of flaws, but a big one is balance; he tends to fall down alot/lose his stick alot. So far it hasn't cost a goal, so it's all good.

I can safely say he's the best puck handling goalie in Avalanche history.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 06:25 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
He's a big guy and looks clumsy. He seems to be out of position alot, but hey, it hasnt cost him very much. He stops the puck, and thats what i comes down too..it doesnt matter how he looks when he does it.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 06:28 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
I call him Neo but watever afterall he could very well be "The One"...n e ways I have been impressed with his play although I would really like it if he didnt lose his net all the time. Good rebound control and looks humungo in net.

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Foppa Frossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
I call him Neo but watever afterall he could very well be "The One"...
Someone should make an avatar of Craig Anderson stopping pucks like Neo blocks punches.

Old
10-12-2009, 06:54 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by en_snabb_svensk View Post
Someone should make an avatar of Craig Anderson stopping pucks like Neo blocks punches.
Totally agree

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 06:55 PM
El_Loco_Avs

Quote:
Haha... yes. Like some hasek flurry of saves.

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

So far, I think he's been fine. I don't cringe when the other team shoots the puck, like I did with Raycroft and Brudaj.

Burnaby_Joe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

I greatly dislike his positioning at times. other than that, he's good.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Ulic

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Shogun_ View Post
So far, I think he's been fine. I don't cringe when the other team shoots the puck, like I did with Raycroft and Brudaj.
Exactly, it's a weird sensation to not feel like everything has a chance to go in.

Ulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 07:20 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

He reminds me of Jim Carrey. He has great reflexes and moves laterally very fast, which makes up for his lack of positioning. But just like Carrey, teams figure him out after a couple matchups.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 07:59 PM
The Kult

I've liked his play so far. He seems fine in net, and I havent seen todays game (against Bruins) cuz of work, so the worst game it seems for him so far has been againts Chicago and really the D did a ****** job infornt of him. 2 goals came from people in front of the net which the D should have cleared up, and the other was pretty much impossible for a goalie to stop.

So if the D can keep the shots low and from bad angles he should have better stats.

The Kult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 08:08 PM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

I've liked what I've seen so far. He does overcommit a bit, but his recovery skills are good enough where he still makes the save most of the time. He reminds me a little of Tim Thomas in that respect.

detrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Shogun_ View Post

So true. Although I'm sure we'll cringe tomorrow because Budaj will most likely be in net.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post

So true. Although I'm sure we'll cringe tomorrow because Budaj will most likely be in net.
I bet at least 2 goals through the 5-hole

Old
10-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglestopper View Post
I bet at least 2 goals through the 5-hole
and one of those will be in the last 2 minutes of a period.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Adama0905

The only time I've really wanted to kill him was today. He threw himself down on the ground and just didn't seem to want to pick himself back up, and he had plenty of time to before he let in that backhand.

Other than that, his style is very scary, but he's making up for it with his athleticism, and that's good. He must be doing something right, as I very much doubt we would be 3-1-1 with Boods in the net.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 11:28 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 900
As a goaltender and goalie coach myself, I cringe with his technique. He's all over the place, his lateral movement is very sketchy, his frame changes drastically every time he goes down(terrible textbook goaltending), but hey... the guy's stopping pucks. That's all that matters. If he keeps this up, I will have no complaints.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 11:39 PM
The Kult

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
As a goaltender and goalie coach myself, I cringe with his technique. He's all over the place, his lateral movement is very sketchy, his frame changes drastically every time he goes down(terrible textbook goaltending), but hey... the guy's stopping pucks. That's all that matters. If he keeps this up, I will have no complaints.
I cant say that I understand goaltending position and techniques enough to judge when someone does it properly or not, but how did Hasek's style compare to the "textbook goaltending" ?
I mean, again to ME, all he did was flop around... but hey, he's one of the best goalies.

The Kult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
But hey, maybe if he ever learns proper goaltending form, he'll become the best goalie in the league!

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 11:44 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kult View Post
I cant say that I understand goaltending position and techniques enough to judge when someone does it properly or not, but how did Hasek's style compare to the "textbook goaltending" ?
I mean, again to ME, all he did was flop around... but hey, he's one of the best goalies.
Hasek's style COULDN'T be compared to textbook goaltending. He was great at what he did, but you simply do not teach a young goaltender to play like that. My two goalies on the 'AAA' local team here that I coach are very different. One plays far out of his net, all angles, a big kid like a sponge, no rebounds. The other one likes to play deeper, relies on reflexes, has lightning quick feet and arms. I understand the latter's strengths, but still work on proper frame when you drop down, keeping the shoulders up, a strong one-push shuffle laterally, etc. You just don't teach a kid to play the way Craig Anderson does, but I understand it if it's worked so well for him.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:25 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
I never wanted to say it, but when we picked him up I wasn't sure about it. I mean, I saw him a few times w/florida last year, and even though I wasn't cheering for either team there were times I just wanted to yell at him to get back in position, because I think it was worse last year.

Old
10-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Foppa Frossa

Of the goalies who have played 5 games or more, Andy has the second best save percentage behind Bryz in Phoenix. The worst goalies having played 5 games or more are Luongo and Kipper

You know that Luongo and Kipper will turn it around though, but don't know if Anderson will keep up his numbers.

Old
10-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 1061
Quote:
Of the goalies who have played 5 games or more, Andy has the second best save percentage behind Bryz in Phoenix. The worst goalies having played 5 games or more are Luongo and Kipper

You know that Luongo and Kipper will turn it around though, but don't know if Anderson will keep up his numbers.
I reckon it will depend on how much we play him -- if we burn him out, his numbers will drop. If we spell him with Budaj, he has a better chance of keeping his stats (and hopefully his wins) up there.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 09:01 PM
Stazz21

Andy just freaking leveled a guy. I'm loving him. He may never be as good as Roy, but he sure is fun (if not a bit scary) to watch. He plays with passion, and he's been pretty damn solid. I'm sure he'll have some bad games, but I really hope the Avs hang onto him long term. He sure makes the game fun, and he's giving us chances to win.

Stazz21 is offline   Reply With Quote