HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

The Mr. Anderson thread

Old
10-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
He reminds me of Jim Carrey. He has great reflexes and moves laterally very fast, which makes up for his lack of positioning. But just like Carrey, teams figure him out after a couple matchups.
What are you basing this impression off of? His play in Chicago and earlier? Because not too many people seemed to have figured him out with the numbers he put up the last three years. You could say he hasn't proven himself to be consistent, but in the games he played, not too many people scored on him.

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Zaphod

vCash: 500
He's got more than a little bit of Tim Thomas in his style.

By any means necessary, I guess.

Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 12:51 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
How many more games does Anderson have to play before he becomes the second best goalie this franchise has ever had?

(I'm actually not being sarcastic with this question)

WarriorOfGandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 01:28 AM
Stazz21

Zero.

Seriously, who have we had that even compares? Pretty much, #2 all-time is (almost was) Anderson's to lose.

Stazz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 01:37 AM
Adama0905

Honestly I love Andy and all, but don't start pulling out the red carpet just yet. We've only played six games so far this year, and Budaj, Theodore, and Aebischer have all had stretches of games where they were this good. The only reason we're throwing around the Mr.Messiah title is because we haven't seen him play bad yet (if he does start playing bad for stretches).

All I'm sayin' is don't start this all up so damn early, it's entirely too early to tell. And we're going to look like the stupid fanbase if he proves us all wrong later in the year.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
Honestly I love Andy and all, but don't start pulling out the red carpet just yet. We've only played six games so far this year, and Budaj, Theodore, and Aebischer have all had stretches of games where they were this good. The only reason we're throwing around the Mr.Messiah title is because we haven't seen him play bad yet (if he does start playing bad for stretches).

All I'm sayin' is don't start this all up so damn early, it's entirely too early to tell. And we're going to look like the stupid fanbase if he proves us all wrong later in the year.
Completely agree. Though Anderson's play is very encouraging.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Adama0905

Oh, but to answer the question of how many games does Anderson have to play before he becomes the second best goalie we've ever had....

65, and he has to be fairly consistent and good for those 65. So...GAA of around 2.4 and save percentage of around 91.5. And even then you could argue he still wouldn't be, because Aebischer put up better numbers than that in 03-04, so he would have to play another season with those kind of numbers before he's our second best goalie ever.

Old
10-14-2009, 10:30 AM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Quote:
Oh, but to answer the question of how many games does Anderson have to play before he becomes the second best goalie we've ever had....

65, and he has to be fairly consistent and good for those 65. So...GAA of around 2.4 and save percentage of around 91.5. And even then you could argue he still wouldn't be, because Aebischer put up better numbers than that in 03-04, so he would have to play another season with those kind of numbers before he's our second best goalie ever.
Our defense and roster may have been a little better in 03-04. Just a tad.

Give Anderson 20 games and re-evaluate. Every goalie plays stinkers (Andy hasn't yet) it is how he responds to it that shows how good of a goalie he is.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 10:33 AM
Foppa Frossa

I think Anderson would have to carry us through a couple of playoff series as well before he can be considered #2

.940 save percentage now, which is the best amongst goalies who have played 5 or 6 games. Let's not forget he's also leading the league in penalty minutes

Last edited by Foppa Frossa: 10-14-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:46 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

He's on NHL Live right now!

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Foppa Frossa

Kipru...I mean Anderson in net against the Wings as well, Sacco must really have a lot of faith in his conditioning. How was Sacco with the goalies for the LEM?

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 10:42 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by en_snabb_svensk View Post
Kipru...I mean Anderson in net against the Wings as well, Sacco must really have a lot of faith in his conditioning. How was Sacco with the goalies for the LEM?
Im not sure. I think he split the time pretty equally, but he had 2 good AHL goalies in Bacashuia and Weiman.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 11:23 PM
falconski
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
How many more games does Anderson have to play before he becomes the second best goalie this franchise has ever had?

(I'm actually not being sarcastic with this question)
not sure about the diques, but he's already the second best all time avs goalie, not that that's saying much

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 12:23 AM
jzqt

Anderson is Rolling

He's one of the best goalies at the moment. If he keep it up, they have a chance to enter the playoff.

jzqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 12:33 AM
Fluke

Oh...ok.

Fluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 12:41 AM
mustela

What a scoop!

mustela is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 10:46 AM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Maldini3

Anderson has been named NHL 2nd star of the week, for the 2nd time this season.

Maldini3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 01:42 PM
PugPuck

From Scott Burnside at ESPN.com

1. Olympic duels
We still have a long way to go before the Olympic rosters are finalized (two months, give or take), but it's hard to imagine that Colorado netminder Craig Anderson isn't giving GM Brian Burke and the U.S. Olympic management team reason to pause.

Not invited to the U.S. orientation camp in August, Anderson has nonetheless been sensational for a Colorado team most picked to finish dead last in the NHL. Anderson is 6-1-1 with a .935 save percentage and 2.09 goals-against average. The issue becomes even more pronounced with the ragged start from defending Vezina Trophy winner Tim Thomas, who is 2-3-0 with an .896 save percentage and 3.20 GAA. Thomas, along with Buffalo's Ryan Miller, who is off to a solid start for the Sabres, were expected to be the two guys shouldering the weight for the red, white and blue in Vancouver. Anderson is looking to change that equation.

PugPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugPuck View Post
From Scott Burnside at ESPN.com

1. Olympic duels
We still have a long way to go before the Olympic rosters are finalized (two months, give or take), but it's hard to imagine that Colorado netminder Craig Anderson isn't giving GM Brian Burke and the U.S. Olympic management team reason to pause.

Not invited to the U.S. orientation camp in August, Anderson has nonetheless been sensational for a Colorado team most picked to finish dead last in the NHL. Anderson is 6-1-1 with a .935 save percentage and 2.09 goals-against average. The issue becomes even more pronounced with the ragged start from defending Vezina Trophy winner Tim Thomas, who is 2-3-0 with an .896 save percentage and 3.20 GAA. Thomas, along with Buffalo's Ryan Miller, who is off to a solid start for the Sabres, were expected to be the two guys shouldering the weight for the red, white and blue in Vancouver. Anderson is looking to change that equation.
They shouldn't be starting rumors like this eight games in to the season. Thomas is going to turn it around, and Miller is going to keep it up. However, we have a more shallow team and it's not certain that Andy will be able to keep his numbers up.

Old
10-19-2009, 02:32 PM
PugPuck

Quote:
They shouldn't be starting rumors like this eight games in to the season. Thomas is going to turn it around, and Miller is going to keep it up. However, we have a more shallow team and it's not certain that Andy will be able to keep his numbers up.
agreed. if anything, they should've put that Andy is playing his way into the 3rd goalie spot on the team over Quick.

PugPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
agreed. if anything, they should've put that Andy is playing his way into the 3rd goalie spot on the team over Quick.
I don't care a whole lot, at least yet, about whether he might make that team or not. But that he is being considered means he's playing well, and I definitely like that. I wonder when the last time he had a workload like this was?

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
Man, somebody took Anderson in my fantasy league right before I was going to, and I had to settle for Quick. Made me sad.

Here's hoping Quick picks it up.

Old
10-19-2009, 07:35 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

I actually hope Andy doesn't get selected. I have a feeling Sacco is going to ride his ass hard this season and as an AVs fan, I'd rather he have the time off to rest and have some fun and get ready for the final stretch. I don't care if the AVs are still in the hunt or not...we've got kids playing significant roles and they need every opportunity to win along the way.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Sgarbossy

First of all, I think Andy is showing us all that he is the real deal.

Does he overcommit sometimes? Sure, but I think that also tells us he has faith in his teammates to help out and do the right thing.
Does he need some work on skating? I think so...he seems to get pushed out of the crease a bit more than I would like to see...but other teams are throwing bodies at him to get him out of position.
Does he have the intensity of a top goaler? I can see it in his eyes and his play.

One other thing I think he might need to work on is how long it takes him to regain his posture after a sprawling save. He seems to stay down a bit long.

What I like best about him so far is that it seems his glove has been quite the black hole so far. Lets hope it stays that way.

Sgarbossy is offline   Reply With Quote