HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Protect your goalie!

Old
10-15-2009, 10:17 AM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Torts it the kind of guy that utilizes tough guys and responds to things of this nature, so I'm sure if he really felt guys are running Hank intentionally that a message is on its way, probably saturday.

I don't, however, think its that far of a reach to say that we may be overreacting and that its somewhat of a coincidence this has happened a handful of games this season. Blake, IMO, is the only one that was clearly avoidable for the player. Meyers could've come in off balanced from the looks of things, and the kings game last night there's not a ton you could've done either time Hank got run into (especially the 2nd time, where Higgins got a hooking penalty).

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Chimp

And that's where the statement should've been made. Up 6-2 and Blake intentionally runs Lundqvist. We could absolutely afford to make him pay with blood, because we absolutely can't afford to lose Lundqvist to an injury.

And to top it off, I don't like Blake. An overpaid bum.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 11:09 AM
TomLaidlaw

It really does come down to the situation. If the game is 2-2 and there is 6 minutes left and someone does what Blake did. The best response is to score on the PP and win the game. However, when the game is 6-2 and there is 6 minutes left and a Pale Hobbit like creature runs your franchise player. The best response is to send that player to the emergency room.

This debate on retribution reminds me of what happened a couple years ago when we were playing the Caps. Brashear elbows Jagr during a faceoff. Now Colton Orr sitting on the bench has two possible routes to take in response to this.

1)He can fight Brash and best case scenario he pummels him and the Caps respond by calling up a goon from the AHL to replace Brash the next game or harvest one from a farm in Western Canada. Doesn't seem like a fair trade off. Our superstar for their goon.

2)He can crosscheck Ovechkin in the neck.

Orr wisely chose option #2. You go after our superstar, we go after yours. That is a deterrent.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Garv23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Torts it the kind of guy that utilizes tough guys and responds to things of this nature, so I'm sure if he really felt guys are running Hank intentionally that a message is on its way, probably saturday.

I don't, however, think its that far of a reach to say that we may be overreacting and that its somewhat of a coincidence this has happened a handful of games this season. Blake, IMO, is the only one that was clearly avoidable for the player. Meyers could've come in off balanced from the looks of things, and the kings game last night there's not a ton you could've done either time Hank got run into (especially the 2nd time, where Higgins got a hooking penalty).
Nice post. I agree completely.

The amount of tough guy being tossed around in this thread is pretty amusing. Gotta love the internet. I would like to see some more snarl from our D though. No doubt.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 12:38 PM
DutchShamrock

So this crap has happened 2 games in a row and we are going back to Toronto. You can bet that this is a highlighted topic for team discussion. I expect a response against Toronto. I expect someone to challenge Blake on his first shift, I expect an edge to the Rangers' game. If it happens again, which may be too late, I think it gets ugly, we run their goalie and it's a 6 on 6 fight. I half expect Lundqvist to come up swinging the next time he gets run.

Ideally you make such a scene that the league can't ignore it anymore. I would run Fleury or Brodeur and force Bettman to issue an edict declaring harsher penalties for these actions, because he won't do it for us even if Henrik gets hurt.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
It really does come down to the situation. If the game is 2-2 and there is 6 minutes left and someone does what Blake did. The best response is to score on the PP and win the game. However, when the game is 6-2 and there is 6 minutes left and a Pale Hobbit like creature runs your franchise player. The best response is to send that player to the emergency room.

This debate on retribution reminds me of what happened a couple years ago when we were playing the Caps. Brashear elbows Jagr during a faceoff. Now Colton Orr sitting on the bench has two possible routes to take in response to this.

1)He can fight Brash and best case scenario he pummels him and the Caps respond by calling up a goon from the AHL to replace Brash the next game or harvest one from a farm in Western Canada. Doesn't seem like a fair trade off. Our superstar for their goon.

Orr wisely chose option #2. You go after our superstar, we go after yours. That is a deterrent.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Chimp

Quote:
.. However, when the game is 6-2 and there is 6 minutes left and a Pale Hobbit like creature runs your franchise player. The best response is to send that player to the emergency room...
No no... you counter with...

Sorry, couldn't resist and Inferno is right, that description of Blake is hilarious.

Last edited by Chimp: 10-15-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old
10-15-2009, 03:46 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
And that's where the statement should've been made. Up 6-2 and Blake intentionally runs Lundqvist. We could absolutely afford to make him pay with blood, because we absolutely can't afford to lose Lundqvist to an injury.

And to top it off, I don't like Blake. An overpaid bum.
what more do you want Avery to do, start kicking him while he's on top of Lundqvist with his skates? Statements are often made the next time two teams meet. Look for it Saturday. It's a take a number kind of league, immediate retaliation is often not only looked down upon but not smart.

Old
10-15-2009, 03:48 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
So this crap has happened 2 games in a row and we are going back to Toronto. You can bet that this is a highlighted topic for team discussion. I expect a response against Toronto. I expect someone to challenge Blake on his first shift, I expect an edge to the Rangers' game. If it happens again, which may be too late, I think it gets ugly, we run their goalie and it's a 6 on 6 fight. I half expect Lundqvist to come up swinging the next time he gets run.

Ideally you make such a scene that the league can't ignore it anymore. I would run Fleury or Brodeur and force Bettman to issue an edict declaring harsher penalties for these actions, because he won't do it for us even if Henrik gets hurt.
I already think the goalie rules are over the top in terms of interference, the last thing I want to see is more rules that take crashing the net out of the game. Next thing you know it'll be a non-contact league.

Old
10-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Running Lundqvist?The New Multi-National Pastime

It seems that running Henrik Lundqvist is the new pastime among hockey teams in the United States and Canada. Five times in two games this week, Lundqvist has been knocked into his own goal. Each time, he looks stunned, and has gotten right back up and continued to play. Granted two or three times the [...]

More...

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 05:02 PM
McMonster

it is getting kind of ridiculous and I would like to see some retaliation even if it means taking penalties

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 07:46 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
It seems that running Henrik Lundqvist is the new pastime among hockey teams in the United States and Canada. Five times in two games this week, Lundqvist has been knocked into his own goal. Each time, he looks stunned, and has gotten right back up and continued to play. Granted two or three times the [...]

More...
I just hope he doesn't develop "Marty Syndrome."

Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural mar-ty syn-drome
Date: 1590

1 : a deranged state of the mind usually occurring after a feather touch from a rushing forward
2 : diving like Greg Louganis
3 : extreme folly or unreasonableness. see: 2008-2009 NHL postseason

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post

1 : a deranged state of the mind usually occurring after a feather touch from a rushing forward

Best definition ever.

Matt4776 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 01:44 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:

Agreed 100%. Sometimes in the NHL you just have to make it an eye for an eye.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 08:13 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

You don't ever immediately take out the guy that went after your goaltender. He turtles and you get nothing. You wait until he or the other team's best player is exposed and then you flatten him. I am not talking about a Bertuzzi incident, just one where its very clear what you are doing--sending a clear message. That is not done with fists, its done with a message of strength on the ice during the game.

One or two times of completely laying a guy out, and other teams get the message very quickly that you are not putting up with having your goaltender run. That if they continue to do so, you will pick their guys off. Even if the resulting penalty has you losing a game or two, if you don't do it, all of your team's players are at risk.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 08:18 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post

4 : being fat

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 08:19 AM
beastly115

Quote:

I remember Ovechkin pullout out his front tooth after Orr nailed him.

The problem with Toronto, is.... who is their superstar Brashear goes after? They don't have any one guy that we could retaliate against. Maybe Kaberle? Maybe their 3rd string goalie? Idk.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
I remember Ovechkin pullout out his front tooth after Orr nailed him.

The problem with Toronto, is.... who is their superstar Brashear goes after? They don't have any one guy that we could retaliate against. Maybe Kaberle? Maybe their 3rd string goalie? Idk.
Sending our cave troll after the hobbit who actually ran Lundqvist is sufficient enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
what more do you want Avery to do, start kicking him while he's on top of Lundqvist with his skates? Statements are often made the next time two teams meet. Look for it Saturday. It's a take a number kind of league, immediate retaliation is often not only looked down upon but not smart.
I'm not blaming Avery, he was the one who did at least something, so I'd rather give him credit. You can send a message even after the incident. Like tonight, as you already said.

The problem is, the lame league will crash down on it like there would be no tomorrow. It's perfectly fine to run goaltenders and receive your 2 minutes in the box, while potentially ruining the playoff hopes of an entire team, while it is not ok to let the laws of the jungle play it out. It's ridiculous really and one of the things I really miss about the old NHL. Players sorted out the dirty stuff themselves. There's no fear cheap shotting other players today, as long as you're the one starting the mess.

Old
10-17-2009, 08:45 AM
ohbaby

Did you guys see the beating Gaustad gave Jackman when he bowled over Miller?

NHL on the Fly has a better view of this beating. This vid looks like Jackman won, but Gaustad really pummeled him with uppercuts so bad, the refs risked the lives to stop the onslaught.

What's Brashear gonna do tonight?

Last edited by ohbaby: 10-17-2009 at 08:59 AM.
ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 10:23 AM
IceBear86
Broadway Pride

Here's the 1-Million-Euro (a.k.a. 1490757,3047-Million-Dollar) question of the day:
"What would you say is more dangerous for a goalie's health:

a) a player standing face-to-face and waving his stick
b) several players running into him?"

Avery-rule-what?

IceBear86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 06:56 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBear86 View Post
Here's the 1-Million-Euro (a.k.a. 1490757,3047-Million-Dollar) question of the day:
"What would you say is more dangerous for a goalie's health:

a) a player standing face-to-face and waving his stick
b) several players running into him?"

Avery-rule-what?
If the Devils played Tor-La-Tor and Brodeur was run 8 times, you would see the Blake-rule tomorrow. Do it to a European or Ranger or European Ranger goalie and it is tough hockey. I am telling you, the Rangers should start running Brodeur, Fleury and Luongo so the League is forced to step up and levy harsher punishment for these actions. Majors and suspensions for any hit that has intent. Minors for any contact that could have been avoided.

I understand that the League is going to discuss this next week, but if Brodeur was turned into a crash test dummy for 3 straight games it would have been solved by now.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 01:23 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Seriously, anyone for throwing eggs at whoever hits the King?

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 09:58 AM
Chimp

From the Torts interview after the 4-1 game against Toronto, he basically said he asked the refs in between periods: "What do you want us to do?" on the subject of the opposing team running Lundqvist. "Some of those hits are just ridiculous." and weren't enforced. "We're eventually gonna to protect him, somehow..."

"Something has to be done or we're going to have to do it our way." Meaning, if the league doesn't protect the goalie, like they have said they would, it'll soon be the law of the jungle again. The Rangers team will take the heat for it, when in fact the heat should be on the league that forced the Rangers to kill someone.

Old
10-18-2009, 02:55 PM
haveandare

Personally, I think it makes the team look soft to have Gaustad out there pounding on someone who hit Miller while we have far more "tough guys" than the Sabres, and we do nothing when our vezina contending goalie gets blatantly run multiple times. All of this talk about being harder and being a more difficult team to play is certainly coming to fruition on the offensive side of things, but you can't let people take these liberties with your goalie, especially when those running him are nobodies of the league and he is, debatably, the best goalie in the world. I say send Avery or Brash out there and take the penalty, we have a good PK and a huge offense right now, we can afford it but we can't afford to lose Lundqvist.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote