HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009 NLCS: Philadelphia Phillies vs. Los Angeles Dodgers Redux

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
I heard somewhere that Kuroda might pitch this series. He has pitched well against the Phillies over the past couple of years.

Old
10-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
does anyone else hate sports center these days? 10+ minutes on a football game involving the jets and (3-1) and dolphins (1-3) rather than leading off with a ninth inning come from behind series winning baseball playoff. currently in the lineup (that thing on the left side of the screen) it has the phillies second, then preseason basketball before more talk about the baseball playoffs. caught the end of the last episode which had the blackhawks/flames (where the blackhawks came back from 5-0 in the 1st) as the last hting before the top 10 stuff. ugh. sportsrise=10 times better than sports center (even if they didn't focus on philly teams, it would still be a better show). ugh.
What happens if there is a lockout in Football in a couple of years. What will spend most of their time talking about.

Old
10-13-2009, 11:24 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Rumor has it Billy Wagner is retiring. Interesting.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/p...urn=mlb,195621
Quote:
t's looking like former All-Star closer Billy Wagner(notes) is going to forever be stuck at 385 saves in the record book. The word is that he's retiring this off-season, according to the New York Post.

Old
10-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Unstable

vCash: 500
I think it's time for Wags. Great pitcher, serious jerk though.

Old
10-13-2009, 12:26 PM
whskybarJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
yea he is just that guy who never understood the city. He never grasped the concept of us booing the radar gun for not hitting 100mph, not him.

In the end, who came out on top? good bye wagner, no more assinine comments from you please.

Old
10-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by letitrain View Post
What happens if there is a lockout in Football in a couple of years. What will spend most of their time talking about.
ESPN is single handidly sapping the love I have for football out of me. They seriously knocked football from being my favorite sport to being 3rd behind Hockey and Baseball. I was always football 1a hockey 1b and baseball 2, not anymore. Hockey 1a baseball 1b football 2. I pretty much only watch the Eagles and occasional Penn State games. And even then I haven't seen an entire Eagles game this season. I can't take having it shoved down my throat year round, especially when its about unimportant ****.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Jester

Quote:
I don't think he was a jerk, I think he was bluntly honest without a filter... These guys can go out there every day and give you the boring PC answer -- which 99% of them do -- or they can go out there and shoot from the hip. Wagner did that and gets branded a jerk...

Wagner gave me immense enjoyment while he was here in Philly, and continued to do so while he was with the Mets. I'll miss him.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by whskybarJM View Post
yea he is just that guy who never understood the city. He never grasped the concept of us booing the radar gun for not hitting 100mph, not him.

In the end, who came out on top? good bye wagner, no more assinine comments from you please.
My favorite Wagner comment was "Pat Burrell's got a one-path swing."

And then the next time they faced each other Burrell smacked a homer into left.

Nice statistical career, Billy. Now **** off, you ****.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I don't think he was a jerk, I think he was bluntly honest without a filter... These guys can go out there every day and give you the boring PC answer -- which 99% of them do -- or they can go out there and shoot from the hip. Wagner did that and gets branded a jerk...

Wagner gave me immense enjoyment while he was here in Philly, and continued to do so while he was with the Mets. I'll miss him.
I agree with that, but I still lump Wagner in with the jerk side. The brutally honest type that I think of is someone like Hamels.

Wagner also tended to make it interesting a lot. Lots of high blood pressure for me in his 9ths.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
I agree with that, but I still lump Wagner in with the jerk side. The brutally honest type that I think of is someone like Hamels.
Hamels says what's on his mind, but it passes through a pretty strong filter the majority of the time, and gets touched up. For example, the other day when he was *****ing about the start time that was because he's so damn finnicky that he didn't like the day time start...but he's savvy in front of the cameras and throws in the stuff about the fans. While I'm sure that was honest, it didn't have anything to do with why he didn't like the start times personally.

Wagner didn't like getting booed...didn't like his teammates getting booed...and didn't like the attitude of the team in Philly while he was here. He said so.

Quote:
Wagner also tended to make it interesting a lot. Lots of high blood pressure for me in his 9ths.
Wagner was nowhere near the top of his game by the time he got to us...that much is definitely true.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Hamels says what's on his mind, but it passes through a pretty strong filter the majority of the time, and gets touched up. For example, the other day when he was *****ing about the start time that was because he's so damn finnicky that he didn't like the day time start...but he's savvy in front of the cameras and throws in the stuff about the fans. While I'm sure that was honest, it didn't have anything to do with why he didn't like the start times personally.
In my mind I go back to when he was asked directly if the Mets were choke artists (last year, or the year before? I think it was after the WS). He repeated the question, and then said yes. This is how I think of blunt honesty, but I can see how it would be a more direct answer than honest.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:15 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
I don't think McCarver is a moron, I think he talks to us like we are morons. He just states the obvious any he doesn't give any real insight to the game. Anyway the Phillies will be called by Chip Caray and Ron Darling.
TBS is dreadful. Darling is alright but chip caray is awful with his 'fisted foul' and puns 1000 times a game.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
10-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:

Wagner didn't like getting booed...didn't like his teammates getting booed...and didn't like the attitude of the team in Philly while he was here. He said so.

Wagner was nowhere near the top of his game by the time he got to us...that much is definitely true.
Hamels was a genius about that when he said that the 2:30 start times were disrespectful to the fans of the defending WS champion.

Translation: I am young, immature, and don't approach day games with the level of professionalism that is required to be successful. However, I know that sounds petty, so I will spruce it up and give the fans some pillowtalk.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Jester

Quote:
I don't think McCarver is a moron, I think he talks to us like we are morons. He just states the obvious any he doesn't give any real insight to the game. Anyway the Phillies will be called by Chip Caray and Ron Darling.
No, McCarver says patently stupid things with regularity if you pay attention to him. Most of it is built from the fact that I think he ceased doing his background reading a few years ago, so he screws up a lot of stuff that he should know by the time the playoffs come around if he was following the teams closely -- scouting reports and the like.

I vividly remember him giving a scouting report that was just plain wrong about Hamels last year, but forget what the details of it were.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Hamels was a genius about that when he said that the 2:30 start times were disrespectful to the fans of the defending WS champion.

Translation: I am young, immature, and don't approach day games with the level of professionalism that is required to be successful. However, I know that sounds petty, so I will spruce it up and give the fans some pillowtalk.
Right, Hamels is honest but he generally avoids stuff that is going to create controversy or be perceived negatively. If Wagner thought it, he said it.

Old
10-13-2009, 02:36 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I hate TBS but I hate Joe Buck more, so sounds good to me.

Old
10-13-2009, 02:43 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post

Hamels is a dick, but at least he has some level of professionalism, unlike Wagner.

Old
10-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
TBS is dreadful. Darling is alright but chip caray is awful with his 'fisted foul' and puns 1000 times a game.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think Ron Darling is great but I agree with you on Chip Caray. It seems like he doesn't know much.

Old
10-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
No, McCarver says patently stupid things with regularity if you pay attention to him. Most of it is built from the fact that I think he ceased doing his background reading a few years ago, so he screws up a lot of stuff that he should know by the time the playoffs come around if he was following the teams closely -- scouting reports and the like.

I vividly remember him giving a scouting report that was just plain wrong about Hamels last year, but forget what the details of it were.
To me he is just useless becasue everything he says about the strategy of the game a regular baseball fan would know. To me he just makes the most obvious comments.

Old
10-13-2009, 04:27 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Wait...Wagner is going to retire instead of get paid? He has an option he's making the Red Sox not pick up, I figured he'd hold out for his cash.

Old
10-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
ESPN is single handidly sapping the love I have for football out of me. They seriously knocked football from being my favorite sport to being 3rd behind Hockey and Baseball. I was always football 1a hockey 1b and baseball 2, not anymore. Hockey 1a baseball 1b football 2. I pretty much only watch the Eagles and occasional Penn State games. And even then I haven't seen an entire Eagles game this season. I can't take having it shoved down my throat year round, especially when its about unimportant ****.
I'm exactly like you. Football has plunged down my list.

Old
10-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Quote:
I'm exactly like you. Football has plunged down my list.
Football has fallen down on my list but that's because the rams have won a total of 4 games the last 3 years.....

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
10-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
My favorite Wagner comment was "Pat Burrell's got a one-path swing."

And then the next time they faced each other Burrell smacked a homer into left.

Nice statistical career, Billy. Now **** off, you ****.
This. This has nothing to do with being brutal honest with "bad" fans. He's a jerk for disrespecting an opponent, a former teammate, and a fellow player. Pat the Bat burned him, but he didn't need to say that. Jerk thing to say.

Old
10-13-2009, 04:45 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Wait...Wagner is going to retire instead of get paid? He has an option he's making the Red Sox not pick up, I figured he'd hold out for his cash.
He'll be back. He came back strong this year, and someone out there will be willing to give him five or six million. He can still coax enough saves to hit 400.

The ideal side of me would love to see him retire though.

Old
10-13-2009, 04:53 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
The solution is to not watch ESPN.

Closed Thread