HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Higgins Opinion

Old
10-17-2009, 10:47 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

vCash: 500
He looks like every other decent goal scorer in a slump.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 12:27 AM
habsfan3131

When we drafted him, Andre Savard says that he'll become a perfect checking line center...20g - 30a - 50pts MAX !!!!!!!!.....He played so many year with Koivu on the first unit and he had many time on the PP and he never puts awesome number....Dont expect big number from him....NEVER.....See you

habsfan3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 12:33 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan3131 View Post
When we drafted him, Andre Savard says that he'll become a perfect checking line center...20g - 30a - 50pts MAX !!!!!!!!.....He played so many year with Koivu on the first unit and he had many time on the PP and he never puts awesome number....Dont expect big number from him....NEVER.....See you
BS just upset the habs suck this year and you guys have gomers crazy contract up there. Higgy's shown he's more than a 20 goal scorer and Koivu wasn't a superstar when Higgens was doing well anyway. Playing with Drury and Callahan on the second line and getting some pp time in NY will be fine for him.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 01:12 AM
habsfan3131

S.cuse me but I saw him play for many years and he's not better than that...I think as a Habs fan, my opinion is more acurate than yours.

I dont know what is the probleme with Gomez ? Yes he has a fat contract....So what ? Yes we sucks so far...so What.

Old
10-18-2009, 01:19 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
BS just upset the habs suck this year and you guys have gomers crazy contract up there. Higgy's shown he's more than a 20 goal scorer and Koivu wasn't a superstar when Higgens was doing well anyway. Playing with Drury and Callahan on the second line and getting some pp time in NY will be fine for him.
Hate to agree with the opposition... but what makes you think he's more than a 20 goal scorer? He's not... a solid two-player who can net 15-20 goals. He is what he is... I hope we hang on to him, but if you are expecting 30 goals, then you are going to be saddened...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 01:25 AM
habsfan3131

And what the heck with Gomez...I didn't sign him....Bob did....We (habs fans) are not happy with the acquisition of Gomez but we have to do with it....If you think that Higgins will be better than what so see since the begining of the season you're wrong......

Old
10-18-2009, 02:38 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Higgins looks like he's out of shape to be honest. He looks chubby.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 03:24 AM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Hate to agree with the opposition... but what makes you think he's more than a 20 goal scorer? He's not... a solid two-player who can net 15-20 goals. He is what he is... I hope we hang on to him, but if you are expecting 30 goals, then you are going to be saddened...
Lets look at Higgens' career numbers
First year in the NHL 80 games 23 goals
Second 61 games 22 goals (was on pace for 29 goals)
Third year 82 games 27 goals
Last year was plagued by injuries (missed a lot of time and when he was on the ice was playing hurt)

Now lets remember he's only 26 years old so he should be on rising side of his career still. Even at such a young age he proved he was a guy who was good for 20-30 goals and just because we haven't seen that yet doesn't mean we never will see it. His assists have went up each of those years too. And btw he's averaging more ice time this year than at any point when he was in canada.

Old
10-18-2009, 03:43 AM
Ola

I think he looks troubled.

My guess is that something isn't 100%. He was very slow out of the gates in pre-season. Still got a lot of support.

Like, where is the speed? Like this guy in MTL was a upgraded vs of Ryan Callahan almost in terms of creating offense of the rush at least. So far here, he is playing more like Nik Sundström then Chris Higgins.

Who knows what the reason for it is. If its because hes in a career year. Or coming back to NY, maybe he didn't focus 100% on the game during the summer. Or whatever.

Hopefully he can get going down the line this season. This good start lets us be patient with Higgins, and thats always good. Nothing good would come out of putting a knife to his throat at this point because its not about lack of trying. He just don't seem to have any jump.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 04:29 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I think he looks troubled.

My guess is that something isn't 100%. He was very slow out of the gates in pre-season. Still got a lot of support.

Like, where is the speed? Like this guy in MTL was a upgraded vs of Ryan Callahan almost in terms of creating offense of the rush at least. So far here, he is playing more like Nik Sundström then Chris Higgins.

Who knows what the reason for it is. If its because hes in a career year. Or coming back to NY, maybe he didn't focus 100% on the game during the summer. Or whatever.

Hopefully he can get going down the line this season. This good start lets us be patient with Higgins, and thats always good. Nothing good would come out of putting a knife to his throat at this point because its not about lack of trying. He just don't seem to have any jump.
He played very little hockey last season. And we're only 8 games into this one. Kinda hard to predict if he's going to go back to his old form.

He did look a lot quicker as a Hab. His reaction time isn't there yet either.

But he is working. Does use his body well, and stays busy on the ice.

He's not really snake-bitten though. He's had some opportunity's, but not the type of high percentage shots he should be taking.

If I recall correctly, (it's late/early) Torts used Higgins-Anisimov-Kotalik at some point in the game. Or maybe Avery on that right side. I liked what I saw out of them though. Need to see the replay again, but it looked like they had a good shift or two in the offensive zone.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Higgins shuffled around a bit, just to see if something clicks. Second and Third line could use a little more oomph. They play well, but they're not scoring much. Chemistry is an interesting thing.

Just for ****'s and giggles, I wonder what the the combination of Higgins/Rozy/Prospect/Pick might be worth. Post something up in the trade section, Vitto~

Patience is probably the best thing for this pretty insignificant situation. He's not playing great by his standards, but he's still managing to contribute, somehow. Goals will come.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 07:35 AM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
I saw an interview with him when he spoke about being back in the New York area where his family lives. He said something like when he was in Montreal he saw to little of his family and now he see to much of them. I am sure once he gets used to being home again he will get back to scoring goals again. But a 2-way. +20 goal scorer who seem to be an overall happy camper is not bad to have on the team. Dont expect him to be more then he is and he will be fine.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 07:45 AM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
Oh, and I might add that neither Drury or Callahan are playmakers and not even very gifted passers similar to Higgings in that aspect and having 3 players on the same line who are good at checking, taking responsibility in their own zone, working hard as their main attributes get you a line who probably will have a + in the +/- column with out scoring many goals.

Why not move Kotalik up to the 2nd line so that Drury and Higgins get a player who is more of an offensive threat on their line then Callahan is. That line should be solid defensively enough anyway. And put Callahan on Avery´s and Anisimov´s line. Anisimov is a good enough playmaker to set up Callahan and Avery for goals while still being good in his own zone.

Or keep it as it is. You are playing great. Good luck and well done.

Last edited by johnny_rudeboy: 10-18-2009 at 07:53 AM.
johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 08:45 AM
SkerZ
LGR

It is good to see that the majority of us have not given up on him.. He hasn't been packing in goals but he has been playing pretty hard, if the end of December comes around and he still has no goals and seems to be off his game still then we can get all pissy towards him

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 09:10 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

8 games in is too soon to panic with higgy.

new town. new team. im sure hes pressing. hell get one soon off someones arse and then the pressure will be off.

hes not going to score more than 20, in fact 15-18 is realistic for him and thats fine.

torts has him with the wrong linemates. drury and cally are not going to make him as effective. that lines needs to be broken up soon with higgy playing on a more uptempo line. he can skate, its just that he hasnt been so far playing with gramps chris drury.

one alarming stat to consider.

37.5% of goal production has come from line 1. thats ok as long as we get production from lines 2 and 3. we arent. line 2 (using higgy, dru and cally) has 9.3% of goals scored and line 3 (using lisin arty and avery) 12.5% of goals scored so far.

factor in 28% of goals scored so far has been mdz and girardi at defense and kotaliks 3 goals (2 of which came on the pp) and you can see we have a big issue so far.

even strength scoring from forwards other than on line 1 is nonexistent. not good.

further reinforcing we are winning with line 1, our pp and hank. eventually good coaches will shut line 1 down and/or hank will have an off night. what then?

im sure this will be addressed by torts by way of further line juggling.

were winning games now but its always good to think ahead 2 or 3 moves.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 09:34 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
The problem is neither Drury or Callahan are going to set him up, so instead he tries to do things for himself, but he just isn't good enough to do that against most NHL defense. He tries these nifty moves almost every game to beat guys on his own but he doesn't succeed. He needs a playmaker.
Maybe he would be better off with Anisimov. He wouldn't exactly be out of place on a 3rd line with his attributes and size. It's not necessarily a demotion, but it's clear that that line isn't clicking despite everyone playing good hockey. I'd break it up and try Avery or god help me, Lisin just to see. It's too early in the season to get stuck in a rut with our combos. We have the benefit of a hot powerplay to experiment with our evenstrength lines.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 09:50 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

That line has no playmakers. They forwards that can finish without anyone setting them up. That can lead to issues when it comes to actually... scoring.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 09:58 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
That line has no playmakers. They forwards that can finish without anyone setting them up. That can lead to issues when it comes to actually... scoring.
well if we look at who would be considered a "playmaker" we have

gaby- yes
vinny-yes
perhaps dubi even
you could make a case for avery with his speed
and then arty maybe-
and lastly even lisin with his speed.

playmaker meaning someone who can create something with speed and/or distribute the puck

so we have our top 3 playmakers all on 1 line. not good.

we have line 2 with no playmaker at all. worse

line 3 with 3 maybe playmakers. again, not good.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 10:07 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
well if we look at who would be considered a "playmaker" we have

gaby- yes
vinny-yes
perhaps dubi even
you could make a case for avery with his speed
and then arty maybe-
and lastly even lisin with his speed.

playmaker meaning someone who can create something with speed and/or distribute the puck

so we have our top 3 playmakers all on 1 line. not good.

we have line 2 with no playmaker at all. worse

line 3 with 3 maybe playmakers. again, not good.
As long as the amount of plays being made stays at the rate it's been so far, I don't think we should change the lines drastically. You don't mess with success.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 01:48 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
To say Higgins will score 25 goals this season is basically saying he will perform as good as or better than either Dubinsky or Callahan, is this realistic?

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
To say Higgins will score 25 goals this season is basically saying he will perform as good as or better than either Dubinsky or Callahan, is this realistic?
He's been outperforming both of them his whole career in the goal department so yes in that aspect of the game. Dubi's definitely a better passer though. And Callahan's a harder worker out there.

Old
10-18-2009, 02:07 PM
AXN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
Check back when the season is at leat 20 games old.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 02:29 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Torts on Higgins: "From a coach's point of view I want that kind of player...to concentrate on the other things away from the puck"
https://twitter.com/JimCerny

Quote:
Tortorella says a certain amount of frustration has crept into Christopher Higgins' game. Plus, the left wing has stopped taking shots.
https://twitter.com/AGrossRecord

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Kind of Blue

I expect Higgins to become a fans' favorite around here. He'll get one, and he'll relax, and he'll find his offensive game (and it may just be with different linemates). Not to mention he's already contributing in other ways, which has been recognized by pretty much everyone. He's fine.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 05:07 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Higgins looks a bit banged up to me.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 05:32 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Tortorella senses that Higgins' frustration is emerging. "In the last couple games it has seeped in, but I don't think it will last," he said. "I have faith in the pro that he is that he'll figure it out and how to handle it. I think he has played in the league long enough and understands how to get out of it. We're trying to help but it's incumbent upon the player. He's a good guy. He wants to be part of this, but he almost puts too much pressure on himself."
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...sEnabled=false

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote