HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tippett

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-13-2009, 12:35 AM
  #1
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 14,881
vCash: 250
Tippett

Hi, Stars fan here.

I was one of the fans who didn't think Tippett deserved to get fired. An argument could be made that it was time for a change of coach in Dallas, but he did a good job during his time here, and a great job last year considering the injuries he had to deal with. I'm curious what you guys think of him. Is the general consensus that he is an upgrade at coach over Gretzky? Have you noticed any players who maybe were in the doghouse before and who Tippett really utilizes, or vice versa? Any info would be appreciated.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:39 AM
  #2
zyllyx
STH Hipster
 
zyllyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Peoria
Country: United States
Posts: 3,247
vCash: 500
Tippett is 100% an upgrade over Gretzky.

The only concern I have at the moment is the way he is underutilizing Mikkel Boedker, but to be fair Boedker really slumped badly after his hot start last year so I'm reserving judgment for a couple of weeks.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:04 AM
  #3
Jake16
 
Jake16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
Tippett is 100% an upgrade over Gretzky.

The only concern I have at the moment is the way he is underutilizing Mikkel Boedker, but to be fair Boedker really slumped badly after his hot start last year so I'm reserving judgment for a couple of weeks.
Agree completely re: Tippett and his use of Boedker. I LOVE the fact that Tippett doen't change up the lined after the second shift of the game. How in the world can a forward line gel and learn how to play as a unit when its a different combination twice a day.

Jake16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:22 AM
  #4
ower
Registered User
 
ower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SEA by way of Tempe
Country: United States
Posts: 823
vCash: 966
upgrade over Gretzky for sure

It's too early to tell for me, Tippett got the team 4 days before the start of the season. I think a lot of people have unrealistic expectation about him on his first month here. It seems a lot of people expected him to come in and turn around years Gretzky style of play on a dime. I do like what I've seem thus far and see a lot of potential but for me I'm going to give him more than 4 weeks before I start really complaining about how he's running the ship. I do agree I'd like to see Boedker out there more.

the one thing I've heard from Dallas fans regarding Tippett is he's good during the season and can get a team into the play offs but fails to deliver during the actual play offs. I think most of us would just ecstatic to make the play offs again

ower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:27 AM
  #5
Sceva Sct
on the edge
 
Sceva Sct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: limbo
Posts: 1,628
vCash: 500
I've always thought of Tippett as one of the better coaches in the league since he took over in Dallas so I was thrilled to see the Yotes get him. I agree with whats been said above and I'd also say (granted its only been 5 games) the work ethic of the team for a full 60 minutes is night and day compared to Gretzky. Listening to some of his interviews/press conferences he really seems to like the play of Hanzal and Fiddler to this point (and with good reason).

Sceva Sct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 03:23 AM
  #6
hao chi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,014
vCash: 500
Other than the fact that Boedker is barely being played, I like Tippett so far. Though I wish he would put Boedker on Lombardi and Upshall's line, and try Mueller with Doan and Lang. Those lines just sound so perfect, but have yet to be tried.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:34 PM
  #7
vofty
Registered User
 
vofty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 3,410
vCash: 500
Tippett's time in Dallas had run its course, but so glad to see he is such a great fit for you guys, he is a good coach. Ya'll have had a hellish offseason so it is nice to see something go your way.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 02:28 PM
  #8
zz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hao chi View Post
Other than the fact that Boedker is barely being played, I like Tippett so far.
As long as the team's on pace for a playoff spot, I'll give Tippett a free pass on any roster decision. He might as well send Boedker to the minors, give Bissonette top-line minutes, put Mueller in goal for all I care - if it makes us win games, I'm fine with it.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 05:03 PM
  #9
Matzel
Registered User
 
Matzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Eastern Canada
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,250
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Stifling defense first, offensively we hope for a miracle seems to be the new mantra in the desert. A 3-2-0 record to start the season says that the coach is right in playing the trap.

The franchise needs wins more than praise for playing attractive hockey and the player personnel lends itself to this type of game... but it is boring as hell. Last night's tilt against SJ was entirely forgettable - except for the two points.

Matzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 05:34 PM
  #10
zz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzel View Post
Stifling defense first, offensively we hope for a miracle seems to be the new mantra in the desert. A 3-2-0 record to start the season says that the coach is right in playing the trap.

The franchise needs wins more than praise for playing attractive hockey and the player personnel lends itself to this type of game... but it is boring as hell. Last night's tilt against SJ was entirely forgettable - except for the two points.
True. But we need to keep in mind it's really early in the season and we've got tons of room for improvement. I don't think hoping for a couple of lines to gel, better PP strategies, and maybe one or two young players to start blossoming is asking for a miracle.

The team already looks faster and harder working than years past. The seem to trust the system. Give them the benefit of the doubt. Over the past month they've only gotten better, and they've played some tough teams.

If by December we're still having severe scoring issues, I'm sure Maloney will make some moves.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 06:45 PM
  #11
Colt45Blast
is in your head
 
Colt45Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: everytime
Country: Mexico
Posts: 25,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
True. But we need to keep in mind it's really early in the season and we've got tons of room for improvement. I don't think hoping for a couple of lines to gel, better PP strategies, and maybe one or two young players to start blossoming is asking for a miracle.

The team already looks faster and harder working than years past. The seem to trust the system. Give them the benefit of the doubt. Over the past month they've only gotten better, and they've played some tough teams.

If by December we're still having severe scoring issues, I'm sure Maloney will make some moves.
You're talking about moves with the lines?
Calling up others from SA?
Trades?
Or a combination of the 3?

If you're talking about trades my guess is Maloney will wait till the deadline to see if this team is buyer or a seller plus by then will have more of an idea of who is available for trading!
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:07 PM
  #12
zz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
You're talking about moves with the lines?
Calling up others from SA?
Trades?
Or a combination of the 3?

If you're talking about trades my guess is Maloney will wait till the deadline to see if this team is buyer or a seller plus by then will have more of an idea of who is available for trading!
Posted via Mobile Device
Maloney will wait until the deadline if he's a seller. If we down right stink, again, and things don't go our way with the whole ownership situation, I could see Maloney asking Doan to wave his NTC and move him at the deadline.

But if we look like we might make the playoffs NOW with a bit of offensive help, I could see DM moving a couple youngsters. A deal combining any of Mueller / Porter/ Tikhonov / some picks might be able to get us a scoring forward.

Anyway, I'm just talking out of my ass. Ignore this. I have no idea what I'm talking about.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:16 PM
  #13
Colt45Blast
is in your head
 
Colt45Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: everytime
Country: Mexico
Posts: 25,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Maloney will wait until the deadline if he's a seller. If we down right stink, again, and things don't go our way with the whole ownership situation, I could see Maloney asking Doan to wave his NTC and move him at the deadline.

But if we look like we might make the playoffs NOW with a bit of offensive help, I could see DM moving a couple youngsters. A deal combining any of Mueller / Porter/ Tikhonov / some picks might be able to get us a scoring forward.

Anyway, I'm just talking out of my ass. Ignore this. I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Maybe!

I don't see Shane Doan leaving Phoenix unless he has a couple of years left playing and still no cup or a great chance at one!
Jovo I could see being moved since his salary is big and we need to make sure we can afford our youth down the road!

Mueller? I could see him moved if he doesn't get his scoring act together, but then again he' probably do better somewhere else if traded!
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:34 PM
  #14
YotesFan
Registered User
 
YotesFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 2,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzel View Post
Stifling defense first, offensively we hope for a miracle seems to be the new mantra in the desert. A 3-2-0 record to start the season says that the coach is right in playing the trap.

The franchise needs wins more than praise for playing attractive hockey and the player personnel lends itself to this type of game... but it is boring as hell. Last night's tilt against SJ was entirely forgettable - except for the two points.
No way! Any game that goes to a shootout is not forgettable, that's one of the most exciting things in all of sports.

YotesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 08:46 PM
  #15
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion
 
Sinurgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 7,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzel View Post
Stifling defense first, offensively we hope for a miracle seems to be the new mantra in the desert. A 3-2-0 record to start the season says that the coach is right in playing the trap.

The franchise needs wins more than praise for playing attractive hockey and the player personnel lends itself to this type of game... but it is boring as hell. Last night's tilt against SJ was entirely forgettable - except for the two points.
True but if the team could handle passes better, shoot more and when they do shoot not shoot wide or high, there is a decent chance at some goals. I guess my point is the system hasn't stopped the offense as much as the players just haven't seem to put things together yet. They've had the opportunities several times and just failed to bury them. I mean how many shots missed the net last night?! Though I do think it's better of them to shoot for corners than the goalies chest, they just need to get some luck!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 09:29 PM
  #16
HockeyHillbilly
Registered User
 
HockeyHillbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Where I woke up at.
Country: United States
Posts: 235
vCash: 500
I thought this thread was going to be about him bringing back the mustache.

HockeyHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 10:54 PM
  #17
yakko
Registered User
 
yakko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northern California
Country: United States
Posts: 3,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyHillbilly View Post
I thought this thread was going to be about him bringing back the mustache.
It's not too late.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 11:45 PM
  #18
RR
Moderator
 
RR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cave Creek, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Maloney will wait until the deadline if he's a seller. If we down right stink, again, and things don't go our way with the whole ownership situation, I could see Maloney asking Doan to wave his NTC and move him at the deadline.

But if we look like we might make the playoffs NOW with a bit of offensive help, I could see DM moving a couple youngsters. A deal combining any of Mueller / Porter/ Tikhonov / some picks might be able to get us a scoring forward.

Anyway, I'm just talking out of my ass. Ignore this. I have no idea what I'm talking about.
If we're a buyer in March we're in great shape having two 1sts (ours and Calgary's) in the next draft.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 01:19 AM
  #19
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion
 
Sinurgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 7,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
If we're a buyer in March we're in great shape having two 1sts (ours and Calgary's) in the next draft.
I guess it all depends on the situation and the offers but honestly I really hope the Coyotes are not buyers at the trade deadline, at least not with the young players or 1st rounders as bargaining chips. Everyone is so overpriced then and rarely does the acquisition work out. Worst off is the player that was acquired usually bolts for free agency and the team just gave away a bunch of assets for nothing!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 01:29 AM
  #20
RR
Moderator
 
RR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cave Creek, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I guess it all depends on the situation and the offers but honestly I really hope the Coyotes are not buyers at the trade deadline, at least not with the young players or 1st rounders as bargaining chips. Everyone is so overpriced then and rarely does the acquisition work out. Worst off is the player that was acquired usually bolts for free agency and the team just gave away a bunch of assets for nothing!
Agreed it depends and I wouldn't waste those chips on a free agent. But if a scoring forward who's signed through 2011 or longer is available, a good fit, and we're seriously contending, why not pull the trigger, especially if it's clear by March that next season's cap is going to be down?

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 01:30 AM
  #21
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I guess it all depends on the situation and the offers but honestly I really hope the Coyotes are not buyers at the trade deadline, at least not with the young players or 1st rounders as bargaining chips. Everyone is so overpriced then and rarely does the acquisition work out. Worst off is the player that was acquired usually bolts for free agency and the team just gave away a bunch of assets for nothing!
Agreed. Package the two firsts at the draft, move up, and make that one last high end pick.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 03:26 AM
  #22
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion
 
Sinurgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 7,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
Agreed it depends and I wouldn't waste those chips on a free agent. But if a scoring forward who's signed through 2011 or longer is available, a good fit, and we're seriously contending, why not pull the trigger, especially if it's clear by March that next season's cap is going to be down?
As long as it was an impact scoring forward, we didn't give up too much and of course they know that scoring forward wants to actually be here (no more Olli experience). I also wouldn't mind them doing a deal for someone like Kovalchuk as long as they knew for fact they could sign him longterm! Not gonna happen I know but hey I can dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Agreed. Package the two firsts at the draft, move up, and make that one last high end pick.
I'm definitely down with this idea!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 06:12 PM
  #23
ower
Registered User
 
ower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SEA by way of Tempe
Country: United States
Posts: 823
vCash: 966
This was posted on http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Andy-...Off-PP/5/23663 today:


Tippitt a breath of fresh air is Phoenix….
I’m told players in Phoenix are calling the addition of Head Coach Dave Tippett “Extremely refreshing” from what the club was experiencing the last few seasons under former bench boss Wayne Gretzky.

The team now does video, they have a system in place, and Tippett has them playing some solid hockey.

There would be times the last few years when Gretzky would be a no-show for a pre-game skate. The team was pretty much run by assistant coaches due to the fact Gretzky’s time was in great demand. One can make the case Gretzky was more of a figurehead as opposed to a committed head coach."



Seriously, we never viewed videos before?

ower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 06:25 PM
  #24
Colt45Blast
is in your head
 
Colt45Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: everytime
Country: Mexico
Posts: 25,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ower View Post
This was posted on http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Andy-...Off-PP/5/23663 today:


[B]Tippitt a breath of fresh air is Phoenix….
I’m told players in Phoenix are calling the addition of Head Coach Dave Tippett “Extremely refreshing” from what the club was experiencing the last few seasons under former bench boss Wayne Gretzky.

The team now does video, they have a system in place, and Tippett has them playing some solid hockey.

There would be times the last few years when Gretzky would be a no-show for a pre-game skate. The team was pretty much run by assistant coaches due to the fact Gretzky’s time was in great demand. One can make the case Gretzky was more of a figurehead as opposed to a committed head coache Great Ones precious time at a golf course!


Seriously, we never viewed videos before?

Of course! Watching and reviewing videos would mean spending less time at a golf course.

Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 06:29 PM
  #25
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion
 
Sinurgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 7,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ower View Post
There would be times the last few years when Gretzky would be a no-show for a pre-game skate. The team was pretty much run by assistant coaches due to the fact Gretzky’s time was in great demand. One can make the case Gretzky was more of a figurehead as opposed to a committed head coach."
I can tell you for a fact that the team used to have closed practices and the sole reason was because Gretzky was not there and they did not want the media to get wind of it.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.