HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Time for a little NHL geography class!

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2004, 11:22 AM
Habsfunk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtG
I don't think travel really affects these guys too much, they're highly conditioned professional athletes.. however over the course of an intense 7 game series.. u never know..
But it does affect the budget.

Old
04-09-2004, 11:24 AM
ikovy

rangers/devils/isles are basically all less than an hour from each other driving-wise.

isles-rangers are something like 30 miles apart, and just last weekend, i was in NYC and it was 20-30 so minutes(without nyc traffic) to get from the city to east rutherford(where the devils arena is).

the east really has it easy, i live in buffalo, and if i were so inclined, i could probably get to most of the other eastern conference teams' cities (plus wings and jackets) with around 1-2, and atmost 3, hours of air travel.

now wouldn't it have sucked if edmonton or vancouver had to play detroit or columbus in a west playoff series?
...or if edmonton had to play florida for a playoff finals.

talk about cross-country.

Last edited by ikovy: 04-09-2004 at 11:29 AM.
Old
04-09-2004, 11:25 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtG
I don't think travel really affects these guys too much, they're highly conditioned professional athletes.. however over the course of an intense 7 game series.. u never know..
Doesn't make much difference in the playoffs, because the two teams have the same travel shedule. It can make a big difference in the regular season though.

The Flyers have 4 teams that if they're travelling to from Philadelphia they never have to get on a plane.

The Flyers bus to New Jersey, and they take a quick train trips to New York, New York and Washington.

Old
04-09-2004, 11:34 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikovy
rangers/devils/isles are basically all less than an hour from each other driving-wise.

isles-rangers are something like 30 miles apart, and just last weekend, i was in NYC and it was 20-30 so minutes(without nyc traffic) to get from the city to east rutherford(where the devils arena is).

the east really has it easy, i live in buffalo, and if i were so inclined, i could probably get to most of the other eastern conference teams' cities (plus wings and jackets) with around 1-2, and atmost 3, hours of air travel.
How far is the drive from Buffalo to NYC or down to Jersey?

Old
04-09-2004, 11:38 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn

Buffalo is a good 6 hour drive.

Boston is much closer to NY than Buffalo is.

The Flyers can't, but if the NY teams wanted to they could go to Boston by train.

Old
04-09-2004, 04:12 PM
Knucklez

Why is Detroit in the West?

Old
04-09-2004, 04:21 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklez
Why is Detroit in the West?
Somebody has to be.

Can't have 20 teams in the East and just 10 in the West.

Just think of it as the Campbell Conference instead of the "Western" Conference.

Old
04-09-2004, 04:37 PM
TML

I never knew San Jose was in Northen California?

Old
04-09-2004, 04:55 PM
The Big P

Great job! I've been hoping to stumble on a map like this for a while now.

Old
04-09-2004, 04:58 PM
nazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowOnCreativity
I never knew San Jose was in Northen California?
You didn't? I was down there this past summer. San Jose, San Francisco and Oakland are all part of the Bay Area and close together. Then when I flew down to LA, it feels like a different state considering how far apart they are.

This map really caught my eye of how hard it really is for the three NW division teams. I knew their travel was hard but didn't think it was this tough. Amazed of how many East teams are in the same area.

Old
04-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Geez, you don't realize how way up there Edmonton is until you see it contrasted with other cities.

I know. I never realized how far it in the middle of nothing it is. It's amazing people can live there. And I'm not being sarcastic.

From someone that grew up in NY and now lives in Florida, I think of places like upstate NY, Vermont, the Dakotas, etc to be barely liveable they are so cold. It's hard for me to imagine that people live *north* of those places. Yet, I realize that places like Toronto, Ottawa, Vancouver and Montreal aren't so bad because they aren't in the mountains. But then I saw Edmonton and I'm shocked by where it is. Yikes!

Old
04-09-2004, 05:13 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazzy
You didn't? I was down there this past summer. San Jose, San Francisco and Oakland are all part of the Bay Area and close together. Then when I flew down to LA, it feels like a different state considering how far apart they are.

This map really caught my eye of how hard it really is for the three NW division teams. I knew their travel was hard but didn't think it was this tough. Amazed of how many East teams are in the same area.
California is like 3 different states. Northern, Central, and Southern are 3 different worlds

Old
04-09-2004, 05:14 PM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage
I know. I never realized how far it in the middle of nothing it is. It's amazing people can live there. And I'm not being sarcastic.

From someone that grew up in NY and now lives in Florida, I think of places like upstate NY, Vermont, the Dakotas, etc to be barely liveable they are so cold. It's hard for me to imagine that people live *north* of those places. Yet, I realize that places like Toronto, Ottawa, Vancouver and Montreal aren't so bad because they aren't in the mountains. But then I saw Edmonton and I'm shocked by where it is. Yikes!
Haha, well cold weather is really overrated here, except winter. Just right now its beautiful out - I know not as nice as sunny Florida - but its not like its tundra here, lol. It's a fair sized city though, almost 1mil people.

Vancouver's weather (from what I've heard - never been there) is usually always mild, and snow is rare in winter. Thats an advantage from the Coast mountains sheilding them from the cold.

Calgary gets nicer weather than Edmonton because chinooks from the rockies warm it up.

Toronto is a great city, mild winters, hot as hell summers.

Edmonton...in winter it can get cold enough that you might literally freeze your ass off but summers are so beautiful when everythings in bloom. I don't think I've been to a city thats as green as Edmonton.

Of course it doesn't compare to Florida, but its not as cold as you think up here.

Last edited by Oilers Hockey: 04-09-2004 at 05:19 PM.
Old
04-09-2004, 05:16 PM
The Big P

How's central Cali? I just know about Nocal and SoCal.

Old
04-09-2004, 05:20 PM
nazzy

Quote:
California is like 3 different states. Northern, Central, and Southern are 3 different worlds
Yup, quite a big state for sure.

Old
04-09-2004, 05:27 PM
ikovy

Quote:
yeah it's around 6 hours, we drove down last week and it took about 6-7 hours because of resting/etc...

by plane it's like an hour..so pretty close

Old
04-09-2004, 05:46 PM
Liquidrage*

NYC's in the center of it all. Three teams right there.

About 2 hours to Philly, 3 to Boston. 4 to DC. 6 to Montreal. 6 to Ottawa.

Never been to Ottawa. But we made road trips to all the others during high-school or the summers after.

Old
04-09-2004, 06:07 PM
beeker16

Imagine the jet lag for the California teams that travel to the East coast and vice versa!

Old
04-09-2004, 06:08 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

That really is the best way they could draw up the divisions...The Central Division is pretty damned close for having 5 teams in 5 different states.

I really feel bad for the Canucks team, having to fly how ever many hours to Nashville, furthest Conference Rival.

Old
04-09-2004, 06:44 PM
Petey21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao
Thought you guys might like this:

That's a cool map! It resembles one I made myself some years ago (I think in 2001) for my local team's website (at the time I was an apprentice at a webdesign company that made their site). What freaked me out when I saw this new version though was that I was pretty accurate when I compared them, considering I didn't use any map as reference when I put the team logos on the map, and considering I'm from Sweden and not from the US or Canada I think I did pretty good without a map.

Here's my version, the bottom one is a similar one but with the map of Sweden and the Swedish teams instead.

http://www.modohockey.se/portalnhl.html

http://www.modohockey.se/portal.html

Old
04-09-2004, 06:51 PM
Oilers Hockey

I am impressed with Sweden! So many teams for such a small population (8 million?)

Old
04-09-2004, 06:58 PM
Petey21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
I am impressed with Sweden! So many teams for such a small population (8 million?)
Will probably pass the 9 million barrier anytime soon, but yes for such a small country it's not bad with 12 teams in the top league (and some even want to expand it to 14).

Old
04-09-2004, 07:22 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage
NYC's in the center of it all. Three teams right there.

About 2 hours to Philly, 3 to Boston. 4 to DC. 6 to Montreal. 6 to Ottawa.

Never been to Ottawa. But we made road trips to all the others during high-school or the summers after.
I'd rather just be in Philly and live within 2 1/2 hours of 5-6 teams.

Old
04-09-2004, 10:33 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

I was talking about this the other night with my father. He asked why Detroit was in the West. My answer was that 17 of the 30 teams are in the Eastern Time zone.

As far as it being Cold in some of the Far north cities. To me it gets cold here (a few degrees below freezing) I can't imagine 10 or 30 below weather (Fahrenheit). Of course it goes both ways when Jordin Tootoo first came here (it was in August) he thought Nashville was the hottest place on Earth. He didn't know how anyone could live in such weather.

Old
04-09-2004, 10:44 PM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville
As far as it being Cold in some of the Far north cities. To me it gets cold here (a few degrees below freezing) I can't imagine 10 or 30 below weather (Fahrenheit).
WIMP!

Just kidding!

This winter in Edmonton the wind chill got into the late -40's! (around -52F). And it stayed that way for a couple days...imagine walking outside and in the first 20 seconds the tips of your nose and fingers begin to go numb...it hurts to inhale because the air is too cold and when you come back inside you can literally feel your body thawing out...thats Edmonton in winter! (I love it here tho)

I can't imagine adjusting to a city like Nashville where the coldest it gets is freezing point. But ever since I found out Nashville is our sister city I want to visit there.

Closed Thread