HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Denver Colleges?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-13-2009, 11:34 AM
  #1
Ender
Registered User
 
Ender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Allons-y!
Country: United States
Posts: 5,161
vCash: 500
Denver Colleges?

Hey ya'll, I'm looking to transfer as a junior to possibly Metro State or UC Denver next year/fall and I was wondering if any of you on these boards go to one of the colleges and can comment (positive or negative) on them. I was just hoping to get some information from another source other then the college directly. Even if you don't go but know something about them I'd appreciate it. Sorry for the OT thread but I figured if I could glen any information from people I'd try.

Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:44 PM
  #2
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 7,167
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I live right by them.

UCD is great - there's some who will tell you that UCD is a better educational institution than Colorado at Boulder. If you get accepted there, I would definitely go to UCD over Metro.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:04 PM
  #3
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ballarado
Country: United States
Posts: 6,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott76 View Post
I live right by them.

UCD is great - there's some who will tell you that UCD is a better educational institution than Colorado at Boulder. If you get accepted there, I would definitely go to UCD over Metro.
I highly doubt that. Still a good school though.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:32 PM
  #4
Seaward*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Theodore's Pants
Country: France
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hekic42 View Post
I highly doubt that. Still a good school though.
I don't... Boulder has a bad rep as a party school...

UCD doesnt...

Seaward* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:42 PM
  #5
hawk30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Aurora, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 479
vCash: 500
Metro is much cheaper.

hawk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:57 PM
  #6
Adama0905
Registered User
 
Adama0905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 9,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
Hey ya'll, I'm looking to transfer as a junior to possibly Metro State or UC Denver next year/fall and I was wondering if any of you on these boards go to one of the colleges and can comment (positive or negative) on them. I was just hoping to get some information from another source other then the college directly. Even if you don't go but know something about them I'd appreciate it. Sorry for the OT thread but I figured if I could glen any information from people I'd try.
Metro is getting more cred as a University nowadays, and I believe it's cheaper than UCD.

UCD generally is a place for the older crowd, there are many people that couldn't do college earlier in life so they're going to college there later in life. It is well respected for the medical program, however if you're not going for medical, you'll be much better off just going to CU Boulder (although you say Denver colleges so I doubt you have any interest in Boulder).

Of course DU is the best option out of any of them, but it's massively expensive, so I'm assuming that's why you didn't put that up as an option.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:59 PM
  #7
Adama0905
Registered User
 
Adama0905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 9,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamSoda View Post
I don't... Boulder has a bad rep as a party school...

UCD doesnt...
It has a bad rep as a party school, but it is still much more respected as an educational school, especially with all the research we conduct. Just take a look at the statistics if you don't believe me. I believe the only thing UCD does better is medical, and even that may be better here. All I know is the only thing I've ever heard good about UCD is that it is a good school for medical and it's cheaper than CU Boulder.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 02:31 PM
  #8
Ender
Registered User
 
Ender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Allons-y!
Country: United States
Posts: 5,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post

Of course DU is the best option out of any of them, but it's massively expensive, so I'm assuming that's why you didn't put that up as an option.

Yeah, those two colleges are generally my only option in the Denver/Boulder area. I live in California and if I go out of state it'd probably be with a financial aid program to help reduce my out of state student costs. Since I'd prefer to go to college in the Denver area (bigger city, family and some sports teams - namely the Avalanche) I'm limited to Metro State and UC Denver.

I'm not looking for a medical school, I'm looking at double majoring in history (for sure) and Philosophy (I'm still on the rocks about that one) also.

Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 02:49 PM
  #9
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan
 
Helton4Hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Storming the Gates
Country: South Korea
Posts: 19,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
Yeah, those two colleges are generally my only option in the Denver/Boulder area. I live in California and if I go out of state it'd probably be with a financial aid program to help reduce my out of state student costs. Since I'd prefer to go to college in the Denver area (bigger city, family and some sports teams - namely the Avalanche) I'm limited to Metro State and UC Denver.

I'm not looking for a medical school, I'm looking at double majoring in history (for sure) and Philosophy (I'm still on the rocks about that one) also.
for a liberal art's major I'd go with Metro, all of the CU campuses are weaker in that area. And CC is the best liberal art's college in the area, I just had to mention that.

I hope your looking at something other than just a BA in history. There's not much you can do with that.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 03:14 PM
  #10
Adama0905
Registered User
 
Adama0905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 9,148
vCash: 500
Oh, well I'm not quite sure how good either college is at those majors, so I'd say listen to the guy who says Metro. Metro is cheaper, and you'll find more people your age.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 04:46 PM
  #11
Ender
Registered User
 
Ender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Allons-y!
Country: United States
Posts: 5,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglestopper View Post
I hope your looking at something other than just a BA in history. There's not much you can do with that.

I hope to get a masters and hopefully teach at college or high school level, but at the moment I'm mainly focusing on getting a BA. I was looking at UC Denver's graduate information and it sounds like it's good, at least out of what I've read.


I was thinking Metro would be better for me, I'll still end up applying to both probably, but I'll probably take Metro into more consiterating because of the cost and all (and the fact UCD doesn't seem to really beat it out in terms of liberal arts). Just out of curiosity, how is downtown Denver where the college is located? Mainly in regards to traffic and job opportunities?

Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 05:22 PM
  #12
Stories
Hockey scientist
 
Stories's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
I hope to get a masters and hopefully teach at college or high school level, but at the moment I'm mainly focusing on getting a BA. I was looking at UC Denver's graduate information and it sounds like it's good, at least out of what I've read.


I was thinking Metro would be better for me, I'll still end up applying to both probably, but I'll probably take Metro into more consiterating because of the cost and all (and the fact UCD doesn't seem to really beat it out in terms of liberal arts). Just out of curiosity, how is downtown Denver where the college is located? Mainly in regards to traffic and job opportunities?
With a BA and a MA in History, you'll be capped at adjunct faculty positions at a local community college. If you want to be even slightly competitive for teaching at the university level, you have to do a PhD. If you want to teach at a competitive university (basically, a name brand university), you have to get your PhD from a very high ranked school. Faculty positions in the humanities are getting harder and harder to get because the competition is rough (at my school (Yale), there are 30 graduates/year. Extrapolate that number to every university in the country... you get the idea).

If you want to teach high school, look into History Education programs at the Secondary Education level in Schools of Education, not History programs in the School of Arts and Sciences because that will not prepare you for teaching history. Another option is to major in History but then do a master's in education.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 05:29 PM
  #13
Adama0905
Registered User
 
Adama0905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 9,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
With a BA and a MA in History, you'll be capped at adjunct faculty positions at a local community college. If you want to be even slightly competitive for teaching at the university level, you have to do a PhD. If you want to teach at a competitive university (basically, a name brand university), you have to get your PhD from a very high ranked school. Faculty positions in the humanities are getting harder and harder to get because the competition is rough (at my school (Yale), there are 30 graduates/year. Extrapolate that number to every university in the country... you get the idea).

If you want to teach high school, look into History Education programs at the Secondary Education level in Schools of Education, not History programs in the School of Arts and Sciences because that will not prepare you for teaching history. Another option is to major in History but then do a master's in education.
Eh, idk about that, I certainly agree with you on the college level, but a BA in history would probably over qualify him for a few high schools. At least small ones. I've seen some crazy high school teachers, and most of them just barely got out of really crappy colleges and usually it didn't have anything to do with what they currently taught.

So you can definitely find yourself a teaching position, it's just where...if all else fails, go to Kiowa, CO.

But going to a small school like Metro is good anyway because of how little it costs, and the fact that teaching isn't exactly the most lucrative of careers.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 08:40 PM
  #14
Stories
Hockey scientist
 
Stories's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
Eh, idk about that, I certainly agree with you on the college level, but a BA in history would probably over qualify him for a few high schools. At least small ones. I've seen some crazy high school teachers, and most of them just barely got out of really crappy colleges and usually it didn't have anything to do with what they currently taught.

So you can definitely find yourself a teaching position, it's just where...if all else fails, go to Kiowa, CO.

But going to a small school like Metro is good anyway because of how little it costs, and the fact that teaching isn't exactly the most lucrative of careers.
Without a proper education credential (that includes some form of formal education in education), he won't get full teaching licensure by the state. That would affect teaching at public high schools. Private and (some) Charter high schools aren't regulated by the same guidelines as public schools, so those licensure requirements may not hold. There are instances where non-qualified teachers may lead as "instructors", but they are not full teachers, even if they are teaching, as they don't have the licensure or title, and equivalently, the pay.

There are other options for those without formal educational backgrounds such as a Teaching Fellows programs (many states and cities offer such programs, NYC TFs being the biggest model) or something like Teach for America, where there are intense training sessions (the summer before beginning to teach) followed by a two year master's program (during the two years of teaching).

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 10:13 PM
  #15
Ender
Registered User
 
Ender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Allons-y!
Country: United States
Posts: 5,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
With a BA and a MA in History, you'll be capped at adjunct faculty positions at a local community college. If you want to be even slightly competitive for teaching at the university level, you have to do a PhD. If you want to teach at a competitive university (basically, a name brand university), you have to get your PhD from a very high ranked school. Faculty positions in the humanities are getting harder and harder to get because the competition is rough (at my school (Yale), there are 30 graduates/year. Extrapolate that number to every university in the country... you get the idea).
I don't really care if I get a job at a big named university, I'm just interested in getting a solid job teaching in a location I want. Community colleges work fine for what I want. I have considered getting a PhD, but I'm taking it one step at a time and looking at BA's mainly right now and a little at MAs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
If you want to teach high school, look into History Education programs at the Secondary Education level in Schools of Education, not History programs in the School of Arts and Sciences because that will not prepare you for teaching history. Another option is to major in History but then do a master's in education.
I don't really have much to say, except noted and I'll have to look more into that. Whenevr I talk to counselors at my college they really don't say much about schools of education in reference to what I want to do with my major. Perhaps that's because it's just a junior college.

Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 10:49 PM
  #16
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan
 
Helton4Hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Storming the Gates
Country: South Korea
Posts: 19,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
I don't really care if I get a job at a big named university, I'm just interested in getting a solid job teaching in a location I want. Community colleges work fine for what I want. I have considered getting a PhD, but I'm taking it one step at a time and looking at BA's mainly right now and a little at MAs.

I don't really have much to say, except noted and I'll have to look more into that. Whenevr I talk to counselors at my college they really don't say much about schools of education in reference to what I want to do with my major. Perhaps that's because it's just a junior college.

IDK what JUCO's your talking about, but I've known a few people that have taught at them, and they've all had to have second jobs. IDK if you like the idea or not, but law school is a really good place to go with a history degree. seriously. History majors do well on the LSat. Actually, probably about half the people that I've had for history teachers in my life were lawyers.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 10:55 PM
  #17
Adama0905
Registered User
 
Adama0905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 9,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglestopper View Post
IDK what JUCO's your talking about, but I've known a few people that have taught at them, and they've all had to have second jobs. IDK if you like the idea or not, but law school is a really good place to go with a history degree. seriously. History majors do well on the LSat. Actually, probably about half the people that I've had for history teachers in my life were lawyers.
Haha yeah, my history teacher in high school was a semi-high profile lawyer before she started teaching.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 11:55 PM
  #18
Stories
Hockey scientist
 
Stories's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
I don't really care if I get a job at a big named university, I'm just interested in getting a solid job teaching in a location I want. Community colleges work fine for what I want. I have considered getting a PhD, but I'm taking it one step at a time and looking at BA's mainly right now and a little at MAs.

I don't really have much to say, except noted and I'll have to look more into that. Whenevr I talk to counselors at my college they really don't say much about schools of education in reference to what I want to do with my major. Perhaps that's because it's just a junior college.
Only do the PhD if you plan on being a university professor. Otherwise it's a waste of your time if you want to be a high school teacher (unless of course you want to really be a Dr. of something). I'm on the PhD route because I'm in a field where there are more options than just being a professor (I'm in the biomedical field), and I want to be a principal investigator (of cancer research).

Almost every large university has a school of ed (UC-Denver and Metro, included).

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 12:07 AM
  #19
Golden Foppa
Registered User
 
Golden Foppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamSoda View Post
I don't... Boulder has a bad rep as a party school...

UCD doesnt...
There are kids who party in Boulder. That's true. There are also kids who bust their butts and sometimes spend 18 hour days studying on campus. Just because some students party doesn't make it a worse school than UCD. CU-Boulder is a very well respected academic institution. It's not like you're forced into the party scene by going to CU-Boulder, but it's there if you want it.

If you go to UCD you're located within a major party city (Denver) with many bars where illegal drugs are readily available. You can party in Boulder, you can party in Denver, or you can study. It's your choice.

Golden Foppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 12:57 AM
  #20
Ender
Registered User
 
Ender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Allons-y!
Country: United States
Posts: 5,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglestopper View Post
IDK what JUCO's your talking about, but I've known a few people that have taught at them, and they've all had to have second jobs. IDK if you like the idea or not, but law school is a really good place to go with a history degree. seriously. History majors do well on the LSat. Actually, probably about half the people that I've had for history teachers in my life were lawyers.
I've been told that before, but the idea of law school just scares me. I'm not sure, maybe it's because I don't think I'm smart enough or something.


At the junior college I go to in California the teachers I'm most awe of do not have second jobs, in fact some of them live a very relaxed lifestyle.

Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 12:59 AM
  #21
Ender
Registered User
 
Ender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Allons-y!
Country: United States
Posts: 5,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
Almost every large university has a school of ed (UC-Denver and Metro, included).
I thought so (I knew one of the other colleges I'm applying to, San Jose State, has one), but I wasn't 100% sure about the others.

Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 03:08 PM
  #22
Ensane
EL GUAPO
 
Ensane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 15,404
vCash: 500
No need for a new thread on this...

Anyone have thoughts to share on Boulder's law school?

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 07:12 PM
  #23
Ensane
EL GUAPO
 
Ensane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 15,404
vCash: 500
Stick to the topic at hand.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 10:55 PM
  #24
hawk30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Aurora, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
No need for a new thread on this...

Anyone have thoughts to share on Boulder's law school?
A bargain as far as law school goes.

hawk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 01:32 AM
  #25
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
With a BA and a MA in History, you'll be capped at adjunct faculty positions at a local community college. If you want to be even slightly competitive for teaching at the university level, you have to do a PhD. If you want to teach at a competitive university (basically, a name brand university), you have to get your PhD from a very high ranked school. Faculty positions in the humanities are getting harder and harder to get because the competition is rough (at my school (Yale), there are 30 graduates/year. Extrapolate that number to every university in the country... you get the idea).
True, but it'll take this guy the better part of 10 years to get a graduate degree and a PhD. By that time so many of the baby boomer faculty members will be retiring in droves and the demand for replacement faculty is going to skyrocket. I'm in the same boat as Ender (undergraduate degree in history, applying to grad schools next month) and all my profs have told me that as bad as the current job market is for history majors, the academic route might be a lot more tame in the near future. But yeah, getting into the good schools and working your ass off is really the best way to go

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.