HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stajan and Hagman out

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2009, 12:37 PM
embracedbias

vCash: 500
According to NHL.com, Hagman has 1 hit in 5 games. When he gets back in the lineup, he's going to have to compete a bit more than he has (i.e., a LOT more).

Another interesting stat --> Poni has only been on the ice for 1 goal against.

Old
10-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Caesium

vCash: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikhailStefanovich View Post
FFS! Let's take the only guy worth a damn on the powerplay out, and the guy with our best FO%. Sitting Stajan is the dumbest move they can possibly make.
Wilson benched Stajan on the PP last night too. He just doesn't like him. He also doesn't like teaching effective defensive systems, the power play, or the penalty kill.

Old
10-13-2009, 12:43 PM
selltrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
For his awful turnover last night and the fact he consistently brings down his linemates.
Eazy, every leaf had a turnover last night. Grabs has been better than most, take off the blinders. He has 4 points, he is playing with Poni with whom he is tied for with the team lead. He is not the problem. Same with Stempniak he has been one of the better Leafs. Stajan had a good 1st game but has stunk since. Blake has stunk. These are the guys who are killing this team right now. Not the lower players, but the guys considered to be the top liners.

Old
10-13-2009, 12:43 PM
kfernandes29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
For everything? Can you honestly name one positive from Grabovski all season?

I don't think I've ever seen him successfully carry the puck into the opposition zone so far this season, yet he still tries on every single play. He is knocked off the puck with ease, doesn't use his linemates, and has absolutey zero defensive game.
Grabovski backchecks on every play. I think his defensive game has improved greatly over last year and is a positive this season. So yes, I for one, can name a positive from him.

Old
10-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Tonka
Diggles

We are acting as if players don't have 2 goal games...Stajan had one 2 goal game and has 3 goals in 5 games...meaning, in only 2 games he had points...all on the PP, and two of them were clearly passes made by Kaberle.

Old
10-13-2009, 12:47 PM
leafsfan2

You could make the case for benching anyone of Stajan,Blak,Hagman and Poni, so in the end its does who he benches they all deserved to be bench.

Old
10-13-2009, 12:48 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by selltrade View Post
Eazy, every leaf had a turnover last night. Grabs has been better than most, take off the blinders. He has 4 points, he is playing with Poni with whom he is tied for with the team lead. He is not the problem. Same with Stempniak he has been one of the better Leafs. Stajan had a good 1st game but has stunk since. Blake has stunk. These are the guys who are killing this team right now. Not the lower players, but the guys considered to be the top liners.
Not sure every Leaf had a turn-over in their own red zone directly leading to a goal though. Blake hasn't been good, but I disagree on Stajan. Stajan isn't flashy, but he does his business quietly. Grabovski's points have when the Leafs have no chance of winning. Aside from that, he's an individual player who weakens those around him. He needs to get his head right and become an effective player. Now he's a one-man show who is weak defensively.

As for the low level players. Mayers and Mitchell both hurt us pretty badly last night and Mitchell was a big factor in the Pitts loss as well. Both of these guys would be "lower players" in my eyes.

Old
10-13-2009, 12:50 PM
BillyWilliams

So which D-man is getting benched for XLB? By merit it should be Schenn, however it will likely be Finger or White, however both have been decent so far in my opinion. Also, if we're gonna go with Garnet tonight, there's no point playing him 10, give him 16-18 minutes and let's see him play hard-nosed, physical but controlled hockey

Old
10-13-2009, 12:50 PM
BlueAndWhite

Who is sitting for Exelby ?

Old
10-13-2009, 12:52 PM
leafsfan2

Quote:
Not sure every Leaf had a turn-over in their own red zone directly leading to a goal though. Blake hasn't been good, but I disagree on Stajan. Stajan isn't flashy, but he does his business quietly. Grabovski's points have when the Leafs have no chance of winning. Aside from that, he's an individual player who weakens those around him. He needs to get his head right and become an effective player. Now he's a one-man show who is weak defensively.

As for the low level players. Mayers and Mitchell both hurt us pretty badly last night and Mitchell was a big factor in the Pitts loss as well. Both of these guys would be "lower players" in my eyes.
all i know is Garbo is playing better then Stajan, so yes Stajan does deserved to be bench.

Old
10-13-2009, 12:52 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:

I don't think I've ever seen him successfully carry the puck into the opposition zone so far this season, yet he still tries on every single play. He is knocked off the puck with ease, doesn't use his linemates, and has absolutey zero defensive game.
wow can you name anyone on this team that plays any defensive game. Heck he's improved on that part of the game since the beginning of last season. He's pretty much one of the few that backchecks after giving up the puck. In a season of gloom and doom, there aren't many positives you can say, but he's been one of the better players. He still likes carrying the puck, but he's still created chances for others at times. It's not as the wingers are creating any real chances for themselves. It's like the Sabre fans criticizing Derek Roy everytime I'm there. lol Criticize away.

Last edited by ugotmybeef*: 10-13-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old
10-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Marshy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite View Post
Who is sitting for Exelby ?

I posed a similar question in the Toskala/Bozak thread. Many were acting like Finger was the one sitting...not sure if that is an assumption or actual fact.

Old
10-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

If this "sense of entitlement" theory that we keep hearing about, translates in definition to amount of effort put out and on actual player performances then the decisions of who to bench becomes much clearer.

All you can ask from any player it to work hard every shift, do what the coach asks of him and the rest will follow. Its easy to spot those players that are not doing this..

Old
10-13-2009, 01:01 PM
stoney

Outside of Poni and Kulemin anyone could have been scratched.

There are arguments for scratching Stajan and Hagman just as there are for everyone else.

As long as they are shaking it up I am happy.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:02 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneymcstone View Post
Outside of Poni and Kulemin anyone could have been scratched.

There are arguments for scratching Stajan and Hagman just as there are for everyone else.

As long as they are shaking it up I am happy.
Poni's might have 3 goals so far, but he's done just as much as Stajan has. He looks' even weaker this year.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:03 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Stajan and Hagman are not the only ones but both have played like pansies this season.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:05 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
Poni's might have 3 goals so far, but he's done just as much as Stajan has. He looks' even weaker this year.
Especially that play last night where he drove wide, waited for help, found the open man breaking to the slot, pulled the puck out the zone and burried it when we were desperate for a goal.

Poni's a big strong man who wins battles, does the little things right and makes those around him better.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:06 PM
KapG

Quote:

pretty clear to me you don't like grabs. He is one of the FEW leaf players who will ACTUALLY backcheck. He doesn't even get pushed off the puck THAT easily and when he does get pushed off it, he fights like heck to get it back. Also, for someone as tiny as him he will still go in and sacrifice his body so that he can be the first man on the puck in the Offensive zone. If you actually paid attention to him as well, you might notice that in the defensive zone he actually has been playing some defense...

As for you saying he doesn't use his linemates, I don't think that is true. While he does like to carry the puck a lot he has set up his linemates on numerous occasions. In fact, that might be why he has more assissts then goals so far this year too. It was because of Grabs that Kule got the breakaway where he hit the post.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:07 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Especially that play last night where he drove wide, waited for help, found the open man breaking to the slot, pulled the puck out the zone and burried it when we were desperate for a goal.

Poni's a big strong man who wins battles, does the little things right and makes those around him better.
I haven't seen it much this year. He just looks weaker on the puck overall.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:

Yeah, but he's got the funny sounding last name. In all seriousness, he'd be Cherry's favourite if he was born in Canada.

Old
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
pretty clear to me you don't like grabs. He is one of the FEW leaf players who will ACTUALLY backcheck. He doesn't even get pushed off the puck THAT easily and when he does get pushed off it, he fights like heck to get it back. Also, for someone as tiny as him he will still go in and sacrifice his body so that he can be the first man on the puck in the Offensive zone. If you actually paid attention to him as well, you might notice that in the defensive zone he actually has been playing some defense...

As for you saying he doesn't use his linemates, I don't think that is true. While he does like to carry the puck a lot he has set up his linemates on numerous occasions. In fact, that might be why he has more assissts then goals so far this year too. It was because of Grabs that Kule got the breakaway where he hit the post.
leaf nation: There's always a scape goat for no reason.

Old
NikolaiTesla*
This team is waffle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium View Post
Wilson benched Stajan on the PP last night too. He just doesn't like him. He also doesn't like teaching effective defensive systems, the power play, or the penalty kill.
You can't teach those things. Just put the 4th liners on the PP and tell them to shoot when they see no traffic in front of them.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:11 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
I haven't seen it much this year. He just looks weaker on the puck overall.
Haven't noticed many soft plays or lost battles with him. The low GA when he's on the ice suggests he's making some good plays. In addition to the offense he provided, he also made a very nice stick check on Gaborik who was setting up for a one-timer in the high slot.

Poni creates room for others, but we haven't used it much this season. With Stajan, Grabovski, Blake and Stempniak all not playing overly well recently, it's hard for Poni to really thrive. He's not a player who carries a line. That said, he's been our best forward.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:11 PM
selltrade

Quote:

Yes Grabo's turnover was bad last night. Most Leafs points this year have been when the Leafs have no chance of winning. Grabo has 3 assists this year most on team. Yes sometimes he tries to do to much with the puck, but to sit there and say he weakens those around him is incorrect. Your right Stajan isn't flashy and normally does get the job done, but he isn't since Game 1.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:15 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by selltrade View Post
Yes Grabo's turnover was bad last night. Most Leafs points this year have been when the Leafs have no chance of winning. Grabo has 3 assists this year most on team. Yes sometimes he tries to do to much with the puck, but to sit there and say he weakens those around him is incorrect. Your right Stajan isn't flashy and normally does get the job done, but he isn't since Game 1.
I'm not sure it's wrong. Infact I'm pretty confident I'm correct. Grabovski has trouble using his linemates. His vision isn't that strong and he tends to overhandle the puck. It's been an issue since he came here. He does make some nice passes now and then, but it's an issue he's battled for some time. By over handling the puck, he brings himself and others into poor areas on the ice.

Closed Thread