HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Stajan and Hagman out

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2009, 01:16 PM
KapG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Haven't noticed many soft plays or lost battles with him. The low GA when he's on the ice suggests he's making some good plays. In addition to the offense he provided, he also made a very nice stick check on Gaborik who was setting up for a one-timer in the high slot.

Poni creates room for others, but we haven't used it much this season. With Stajan, Grabovski, Blake and Stempniak all not playing overly well recently, it's hard for Poni to really thrive. He's not a player who carries a line. That said, he's been our best forward.
what?

The 2 bolded players have been 2 of our BETTER ones. Only one I can really think of that has played better on forward so far is Kulemin.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:17 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
what?

The 2 bolded players have been 2 of our BETTER ones. Only one I can really think of that has played better on forward so far is Kulemin.
problem with Stepniak and Kulemin is they're expected to produce but haven't. Efforts been there. Grabovski has his points, he's played decent but can be better. the myth that Grabovski makes his teammates ineffective is just BS from some posters. There are some things he has to fix up, but he's created chances for himself and others at times. I know he has his flaws, but people are labelling him as a black hole. Still, he can better.

Last edited by ugotmybeef*: 10-13-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old
10-13-2009, 01:18 PM
NikolaiTesla*
This team is waffle!

Quote:
what?

Some people only rely on statistics.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:19 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
what?

Moving your feet alot and missing chances doesn't mean you're playing well. That's why Grabovski and Stempniak have been praised. Grabovski has hurt us defensively and overhandles the puck. Stempniak is playing the better, but he's still not doing his job. He's missing a key element, and that's finishing. He's got a bad habit of shooting 3 feet wide or waiting too long and burrying a good chance into a defenders stick causing it to go out of play. When that happens, it reduces the impact Poni has, since it's not showing up on the scoreboard.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:20 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

I refuse to believe the nonsense propaganda from Wilson and Burke that Stempniak has played well. He has played every bit as soft as Stajan and Hagman. I think the Leafs still have plans for Hagman and Stajan, that's why they've actually singled them out. I think the Leafs are trying as hard as they can to build up Stempniak's stock so they can dump that turkey.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:20 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikhailStefanovich View Post
Some people only rely on statistics.
That's a garbage excuse. Grabovski is our leading scorer for god's sake. I've mentioned my issues with their actual play a number of times, so don't just spout off garbage like "some people only look at the stats". I've gone into detail on their actual play.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:21 PM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
problem with Stepniak and Kulemin is they're expected to produce but haven't. Efforts been there. Grabovski has his points, he's played decent but can be better.
Absolutely, thing is though no one is producing on our team right? To go along with that it seems to me that alot of our players just are NOT giving the effort. That is why I like what I see from Stem and Kule

Old
10-13-2009, 01:23 PM
KapG

Quote:
Moving your feet alot and missing chances doesn't mean you're playing well. That's why Grabovski and Stempniak have been praised. Grabovski has hurt us defensively and overhandles the puck. Stempniak is playing the better, but he's still not doing his job. He's missing a key element, and that's finishing. He's got a bad habit of shooting 3 feet wide or waiting too long and burrying a good chance into a defenders stick causing it to go out of play. When that happens, it reduces the impact Poni has, since it's not showing up on the scoreboard.
Where does grabs hurt us defensively? Is it the fact that he actually tries to find a man in the D-zone to cover? is it the fact that when he DOES lose the puck he skates like a mad man on the back check to either get the puck back or pick up an opposing player?

Please enlighten me.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:24 PM
NikolaiTesla*
This team is waffle!

Quote:
That's a garbage excuse. Grabovski is our leading scorer for god's sake. I've mentioned my issues with their actual play a number of times, so don't just spout off garbage like "some people only look at the stats". I've gone into detail on their actual play.
I was commenting on how he named Kulemin as one of the better forwards. I was trying to suggest that some people will not give him credit because of his statistics. I apologize if that came across wrong, I'm at work and don't have a bunch of time.

Old
leafsfan2

Quote:
yeah i would like to know what has garbo done to deserve the benching.

Old
number 19

Grabovski was great last night, i don't why you would bench him. Stempniak was great but couldn't finish anything. Blake played ok but also took at least one horrible penalty that sapped the leafs momentum. Lundquist played insane in the 2nd which probably saved the game for the Rangers. Toskala is being hung out to dry, yet elite goalies can deal with these situations and he cannot. I think we got a bad break with the injury to Gustavsson, i thought before the year started that he would be the number 1 goalie by game 10.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:25 PM
leafsfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikhailStefanovich View Post
I was commenting on how he named Kulemin as one of the better forwards. I was trying to suggest that some people will not give him credit because of his statistics. I apologize if that came across wrong, I'm at work and don't have a bunch of time.
oh LOL, yeah agree Kulemin is one of our better forwards.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:26 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Where does grabs hurt us defensively? Is it the fact that he actually tries to find a man in the D-zone to cover? is it the fact that when he DOES lose the puck he skates like a mad man on the back check to either get the puck back or pick up an opposing player?

Please enlighten me.
He does hurt us defensively at times when he gives the puck up and such but labeling him a liability every single time is unfair and further from the truth. He's one of the few creating chances on this team in a season full of disappointment and negatives. he's not any worse than most of the players on this team.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:26 PM
EazyB97

Quote:

Please enlighten me.
Take it you missed the game last night? Didn't see the lost face-off leading to the 3rd Rangers goal or the poor turn-over he made leading to the other?

Yes, he hustles when he turns the puck over. It doesn't negate the mistakes he makes by leaving others open in good offensive, but poor defensive positions due to an ill advised "dangle". It doesn't change the fact that he is often caught running out of position for a loose puck either leaving his men open.

When you overhandle the puck you bring players around you to a stand-still or force them to find a new position to get open. His turn-overs are usually off him overhandling the puck, which means the rest of the team has to transition.

Enlightened?

Old
10-13-2009, 01:27 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
pretty clear to me you don't like grabs. He is one of the FEW leaf players who will ACTUALLY backcheck. He doesn't even get pushed off the puck THAT easily and when he does get pushed off it, he fights like heck to get it back. Also, for someone as tiny as him he will still go in and sacrifice his body so that he can be the first man on the puck in the Offensive zone. If you actually paid attention to him as well, you might notice that in the defensive zone he actually has been playing some defense...

As for you saying he doesn't use his linemates, I don't think that is true. While he does like to carry the puck a lot he has set up his linemates on numerous occasions. In fact, that might be why he has more assissts then goals so far this year too. It was because of Grabs that Kule got the breakaway where he hit the post.
The Kulemin play where he hit the post wasn't even a breakaway. Grabovski tried to carry it in on his own (like always) and got nailed around the hashmarks. Kulemin was smart enough to follow him and just picked up the loose puck. I never questioned Grabovski's ability to get back into the play at our end but he's just as lost as every other forward when he gets down there.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:28 PM
Kevin Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfan2 View Post
yeah i would like to know what has garbo done to deserve the benching.
The problem with Grabo is he attended the Jason Blake school of hockey where you hold on to the puck too long trying to do everything yourself and end up giving it to the other team.

I'm not saying he should be benched but he definately has his faults. Ron Wilson should treat all players equally and not use the kid gloves on Grabo.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:31 PM
KapG

Quote:
Take it you missed the game last night? Didn't see the lost face-off leading to the 3rd Rangers goal or the poor turn-over he made leading to the other?

Yes, he hustles when he turns the puck over. It doesn't negate the mistakes he makes by leaving others open in good offensive, but poor defensive positions due to an ill advised "dangle". It doesn't change the fact that he is often caught running out of position for a loose puck either leaving his men open.

Enlightened?
Im trying to find the highlights so I can see these mistakes again.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:31 PM
leafsfan2

Quote:

When you overhandle the puck you bring players around you to a stand-still or force them to find a new position to get open. His turn-overs are usually off him overhandling the puck, which means the rest of the team has to transition.

Enlightened?
he was also are most dangerous forwards and one of the only forwards creating some scoring chances,yes he isn't perfect but its not for lack of effort.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:32 PM
Earth Rocker

another brilliant coaching decision, why not scratch Mayers, Blake, Wallin, these guys have played worse the the 2 benched forwards.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:34 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Im trying to find the highlights so I can see these mistakes again.
The lost face-off was the third goal. The turnover would be the 5th or 6th goal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfan2 View Post
he was also are most dangerous forwards and one of the only forwards creating some scoring chances,yes he isn't perfect but its not for lack of trying.
Which doesn't really work into anything I've said. I mentioned that the effort is there, but it's the way he thinks the game that is the issue. He skates all over the ice, works his butt off, but still screws up defensively.

Old
leafsfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Belfour View Post
The problem with Grabo is he attended the Jason Blake school of hockey where you hold on to the puck too long trying to do everything yourself and end up giving it to the other team.

I'm not saying he should be benched but he definately has his faults. Ron Wilson should treat all players equally and not use the kid gloves on Grabo.
yeah he does hold on to the puck like blake and it does cause turnovers but he also makes some nice plays and can dangle, can't say the same about blake though.

Old
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by peasey View Post
Not benching Blake makes me think that he is being show-cased.
i think it just makes things easier when guys are sent down .....blake is going nowhere but waivers .

Old
10-13-2009, 01:35 PM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
The Kulemin play where he hit the post wasn't even a breakaway. Grabovski tried to carry it in on his own (like always) and got nailed around the hashmarks. Kulemin was smart enough to follow him and just picked up the loose puck. I never questioned Grabovski's ability to get back into the play at our end but he's just as lost as every other forward when he gets down there.
Kulemin did get somewhat of a partial break, even if it was a very short one. I mean, it's not like there was anyone between him and the goalie.

I agree he carries the puck a little too much, but from what I have seen so far he hasn't been as bad as last year.

As for grabs being turnover prone....he also gets a lot of takeaways. If I recall correctly he was around the top of the team in terms of that category last year.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:35 PM
leafsfan2

Quote:
The lost face-off was the third goal. The turnover would be the 5th or 6th goal.

Which doesn't really work into anything I've said. I mentioned that the effort is there, but it's the way he thinks the game that is the issue. He skates all over the ice, works his butt off, but still screws up defensively.
fair enough, he is an offensive minded centre anyway.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:37 PM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depo View Post
another brilliant coaching decision, why not scratch Mayers, Blake, Wallin, these guys have played worse the the 2 benched forwards.
wallin has looked fine. He is no offensive dynamo but he plays defensively aware hockey. I wouldn't go throwing him under the bus when you have like 6 or 7 other players you could chuck

Closed Thread