HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Inside Out (Dave Stubbs) - No decision on sixth D before tomorrow

Old
10-13-2009, 12:38 PM
habspinner

vCash: 500
Habs Inside Out (Dave Stubbs) - No decision on sixth D before tomorrow

So apparently it is not a given that MAB will be with the team on Thursday. Apparently according to this article Weber was sent down due to salary cap reasons, and he may be brought back up before Thursday - him or Shawn Belle (but that seems to be purely speculation)

http://habsinsideout.com/

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:42 PM
felixd

If Shawn Belle is called up, doesn't he have to go through re-entry?

Not sure if anyone would claim him, but just want to double-check.

Edit: And I don't get why Weber would be sent down for salary cap reasons. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but with Markov on LTIR(or has he not been officially placed on it yet?) we can exceed the cap by the amount of salary Markov is out for? Meaning we have ~3 million that we're allowed to exceed the cap by while Markov is out. Weber being up should not be an issue.

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:48 PM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post
If Shawn Belle is called up, doesn't he have to go through re-entry?

Not sure if anyone would claim him, but just want to double-check.

Edit: And I don't get why Weber would be sent down for salary cap reasons. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but with Markov on LTIR(or has he not been officially placed on it yet?) we can exceed the cap by the amount of salary Markov is out for? Meaning we have ~3 million that we're allowed to exceed the cap by while Markov is out. Weber being up should not be an issue.
players contracts are calculated by the number of days they are with the big club, therefore if weber is sent to hamilton, the habs save on the number of days in which he isnt in the nhl, we can save up cap space for the deadline or for a trade in the near future

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post
players contracts are calculated by the number of days they are with the big club, therefore if weber is sent to hamilton, the habs save on the number of days in which he isnt in the nhl, we can save up cap space for the deadline or for a trade in the near future
in that case i wonder why we don't "send down" every eligible player between every game. i guess there's laws against it but I don't see how

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:58 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Shawn Belle? Is this a joke?

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:58 PM
felixd

Quote:
Makes sense, but then why wasn't Weber sent down yesterday?

And as the poster above mentions, does this mean Pacioretty could get sent down as well to avoid his cap hit?

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:00 PM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
in that case i wonder why we don't "send down" every eligible player between every game. i guess there's laws against it but I don't see how
because if a player is sent down, he cant practice with the big club...

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...t-bergeron.php

for those who can read french, it says the habs save $4500 a day while weber is not here

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:19 PM
MathMan

Bergeron will be with the Habs sooner than later. We might see Weber a couple extra games, tops, should Bergeron prove not to be entirely ready.

But I think we'll see MAB on Thursday.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:19 PM
m00ks

Quote:
because if a player is sent down, he cant practice with the big club...

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...t-bergeron.php

for those who can read french, it says the habs save $4500 a day while weber is not here
Well if that's the case and if I understood it right ( I doubt I did ) how much are they really saving? What 25k? If they planned on keeping him, is that amount of money really worth the practice time
Weber's loosing by being sent down? If anyone needs it, it's him. It makey no sensey.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Pax Macioretty

If i was coach, Chipchura, Stewart would both of gone down with Weber and i would of called back Pyatt, Nielson, Bergeron and Subban. Our bottom depth has been terrible since game 1. Chipper is still way too slow to be a defensive center, Stewart makes mistake after mistake and Weber really hasn't shown much. I think it's time for a new spark before things get worst. I know it seems drammatical, but for now they are just depth players.

Pax Macioretty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Well if that's the case and if I understood it right ( I doubt I did ) how much are they really saving? What 25k? If they planned on keeping him, is that amount of money really worth the practice time
Weber's loosing by being sent down? If anyone needs it, it's him. It makey no sensey.
4500$ a day!?

Pax Macioretty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:23 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
4500$ a day!?
I meant if they called him back on Thursday. They're saving peanuts and I don't know how it would provide any significant cap relief.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:24 PM
BadKiwi

Quote:
If i was coach, Chipchura, Stewart would both of gone down with Weber and i would of called back Pyatt, Nielson, Bergeron and Subban. Our bottom depth has been terrible since game 1. Chipper is still way too slow to be a defensive center, Stewart makes mistake after mistake and Weber really hasn't shown much. I think it's time for a new spark before things get worst. I know it seems drammatical, but for now they are just depth players.
It's also the reason you're not a coach. You would of lost 2 roster players to the waivers, realize your mistake, and then what? Bad asset management.

Even if Martin wanted to send down Chipchura and Stewart, Gainey would most likely refuse that request.

BadKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Thinkbig

Thank god! Weber's got potential.. let him play instead of Bergeron.

Thinkbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:40 PM
habspinner

Quote:
Umm....25K is alot of dough man - I don't care if you're the Habs or Boni-Soir Depanneur, it's a good chunk of change. To put it in perspective, that's probably a quarter of the salary that Sergei would earn in Hamilton the entire year.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Bergeron will be called up pretty sure about that,picking up 2 points in his 1st game also helped him.I think he will get the call.Surprised it wasn't done today so he could have at least practiced with the team since Hamilton doesn't play

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkbig View Post
Thank god! Weber's got potential.. let him play instead of Bergeron.
Bergeron has a cannon, and some experience, I think he'll be nice fit on the PP.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:59 PM
MathMan

Quote:
I meant if they called him back on Thursday. They're saving peanuts and I don't know how it would provide any significant cap relief.
Do the Dogs have a game between now and Thursday?

The explanation could be as simple as wanting to give Weber the extra ice time. Or they're really not planning to call him back up.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 02:07 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by habspinner View Post
Umm....25K is alot of dough man - I don't care if you're the Habs or Boni-Soir Depanneur, it's a good chunk of change. To put it in perspective, that's probably a quarter of the salary that Sergei would earn in Hamilton the entire year.
To ME it's a lot of dough. To the Habs that's chump chump change and it wont make a difference for a mid-season trade pick up. Also, isn't Sergei is listed at 820K a season. 25k is not a quarter of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan

The explanation could be as simple as wanting to give Weber the extra ice time. Or they're really not planning to call him back up.
Ehn. I personally wouldn't think its worth it. Rather have him practicing at this level than playing at a lower one and on a different team no less. I'd certainly be scratching my head if he was called up for Thursday.

Old
10-13-2009, 02:09 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by habspinner View Post
So apparently it is not a given that MAB will be with the team on Thursday. Apparently according to this article Weber was sent down due to salary cap reasons, and he may be brought back up before Thursday - him or Shawn Belle (but that seems to be purely speculation)

http://habsinsideout.com/
yeah right.

and when markov will be back from injury, he will have to fight his way into the lineup

who are they trying to fool?!

MAB will be in the lineup for the opener.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Agalloch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post

I had the same thought.. so I checked and they don't play.

Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 02:14 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agalloch View Post
I had the same thought.. so I checked and they don't play.
Maybe it's to tone down the Quebecois media hype and not put so much pressure on MAB to perform given his inactivity and capacity.

Old
10-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
OH NOZ! we send Weber down for 3 days and we save 13,500!!!! We can bring in... LECAVALIER!!!!

Just call up Bergeron and stop ****in' around.

If it's Shawn Belle, then this team is borderline ********.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 02:42 PM
habspinner

[QUOTE] Also, isn't Sergei is listed at 820K a season. 25k is not a quarter of that. [QUOTE]

That's his NHL salary - I was referring to his bargain basement AHL salary

Old
10-13-2009, 03:00 PM
habfan1968

vCash: 400
Quote:
It's a good thing you are not he coach then because you would lose Chipchura on waivers by doing that. He is not to slow and his skating is fine so far this season.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote